Duke University Health Systems Employee Reviews

Find another place to work
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Erwin stDecember 23, 2018
Duke is the worst place I have ever worked. It is filthy, we lack adequate supplies and equipment and safety does not seem to be of great concern. I work in the operating room and our management (on my team) is inexperienced and incompetent. I have seen racial and age discrimination, favoritism, bullying and targeting of individuals to the extent that employees leave. The worst move I have ever made was to come here to work.
Pros
Cons
Favoritism, discrimination, low pay and poor management
no comment
HIM Data integrity Analyst (Current Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NCDecember 15, 2018
It is a okay place ot work lots of diversity. Lots of thing to learn from different people and backfrounds.There are many locations and jobs to pick from.
Should be so much better
Director (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 11, 2018
I expected so much more from Duke. Unfortunately, it’s just another southern institution stuck in the past. They are very content with their previous accomplishments and expect them to still be relevant today. It’s also full of bullies.
Benefits
Cons
Terrible culture
Great Benefits, not much else.
NCA/HUC (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 11, 2018
If you’re coming here to work as an NA, I would strongly suggest going to another hospital. While the benefits are good, the pay isn’t so great compared to some places. You’re not paid for experience. On my floor we’re always short NA’s. Charge nurses and nurse managers don’t care to find you help, so at least two-three nights out of the week, you’ll have one NA for 31 patients. Extremely unrealistic and hard. Some nurses are helpful but most feel like they’re too good to help. When asking/begging for new people to be hired, NA’s are overlooked. Overall, the focus is placed on nurses. We’re important too. Only still employed because the benefits are awesome compared to most places. If you have other options, look long and hard and weigh your options.
Pros
Benefits, discounts, free games tix sometimes
Cons
Pay, no help, no appreciation
Customer servicie and telephone ettique
Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 29, 2018
a typical day at work, lost to learn, get working with patients and co workers. Get company to work for with great benefits. I been here now for over30
Pros
customer service
Cardiac Nurse (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 6, 2018
Passionate, professional co workers. Good workflow exhibited. Good,multi cultural atmosphere. Excellent mentor ship and Preceptor done for new employees at least two to three times a year.Perform ECGs', started IVs' to administer IV fluids and medication to patients with Congestive Heart Failure, patients with POTS,(Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome), lung transplants, (pre and post},Ongoing patient assessments, intake information and care involving patient visits to clinic with various cardiac diagnosis,eg., Atrial Fibrillation,Pacemakers, Internal defibrillators, and other various cardiac dysrhythmias. Occasionally would have to float to pulmonary clinic. Be able to respond in emergency situations.Have a good nurse/physician relationship with excellent communication skills.Offer patient teaching and education.
Pros
good communication
Cons
part time employment not offered in the clinic settings
my review
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 23, 2018
They need to pay more money to their employees, Duke is at the bottom of the pay grid when it comes to the hospitals in the triangle area UNC, Wake Med then Duke they need to be more competitive.
Cons
no lunches no drug reps
Good place
Staff Specialist (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 22, 2018
We all have to work, great place if you are a doctor or coach K. The more degrees you have the more you get paid. I would like to earn about 75K per year.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
wonderful...
Line cook for the students at the university (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 16, 2018
duke is a great place to grow and advance, anytime one gets hired its ideal that they stay as long as they can... I enjoyed duke very much and am in the process of trying to be hired again...
Pros
flexible hours, good enviornment
Cons
long shifts at times...
Excellente
Packing and Shipping (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 10, 2018
I like to work Happy and together always because Duke is really nice place for work and give good beneficios I wisk my kid estudy at wonderful Place
Workplace
Patient Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 6, 2018
Overall Duke University Health Care is a great place to work. There are plenty of jobs but they do not look out for the internal employees as far as pay. The external candidates have a better chance at receiving better pay than the internal employees which is not fair at all.
Pros
Paid vacation, sick time, holidays, health benefits
Cons
Low Pay, Internal Employees are usually not considered first
workplace culture
Access Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 3, 2018
The work is stressful and demanding as there are forever changing position requirements and you do not get paid enough. The company's pay structure is not condusive to a single income household.
Cons
pay structure, how things are taken out of your paycheck
Worst management I've ever encountered.
Clinical Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 20, 2018
I have worked and interacted with management in different units and areas of the health system. They are ALL incompetent. It is the worst paying health system in the area. Every manager I've "worked for" because trust me, that's how they see it, was incompetent, unpolished, and always displayed favoritism. Trying to get vacation time is a joke, and the workers comp situation is horrendous. They treat their staff poorly and blame poor morale on front line staff instead of looking at management practices. I have nothing positive to say about the experience of working in the heath system except that I'm glad that I'm now vested and can leave.
Pros
Getting to put the Duke name on your resume
Cons
Short to nonexistent breaks, incompetent management, low hourly rate
great place to work, but sometimes i feel unsupportive
Supply Chain Asscociate (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 18, 2018
I can do my job very well, and I love providing for the patients and their family. I feel that I am not advancing as well as I should in my career. I know that I have more to offer.
Pros
great people and co/workers
Cons
lack of communications between managers and employees
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 16, 2018
Great place to work. Excellent benefits. The most enjoyable part of my job is taking care of patients. Knowing they are getting quality care from the operating room..
Duhs
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 20, 2018
Great place to work. Love the staff. Pay is low as a new grad RN but there are ample opportunities to "climb the ladder" and increase hourly pay. Passionate co-workers.
duke
Subway Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 17, 2018
bad management
fast paced environment
you have to be quick on your feet
most enjoyable part of the job was the patients and students
other than management a great place to work
Great place to work.
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Duke Urgent CareAugust 14, 2018
I've worked many jobs in varying professions and this is by far the best company I've ever worked for.

Management actually cares about you as a person and values your contributions. They always treat employees with respect and thank them whenever they go above and beyond to help the rest of the ream.

The benefits are better than all but a a few companies. The offer affordable health insurance (not just individual but for the entire family), retirement benefits (many different types), dental/vision insurance (pretty decent), PTO (Outstanding and starts accruing right away) and many other perks such as employee discounts and help with tuition (even for your children).

The work culture is all about teamwork. If you do your best to help the team you will never have a problem. It can be fast paced and demanding but it is only fair when they treat everyone the same and hold themselves to the same high standards.

The hardest part of the job is the initial training and learning how to fit in with the other workers. If there is one criticism I have it would be that the system for training and integrating new employees is far from the best. You have to be qualified for the job and be ready to hit the ground running after the first few weeks of training. They also require a lot of paperwork demonstrating your work competencies which can become tedious after a while.

The most enjoyable part of my job is helping patient for a company that always puts the patient first. They would rather lose money and provide the best care possible, I truly believe that.
Pros
Helping patients for a company that always puts their patients first, great benefits, great work culture, they care about their employees and value their input
Cons
Not the best system for training/integrating new employees
Great!!!
Housekeeping Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 7, 2018
This job was very stressful but maintainable. The pay was awesome for the job that I did. Even though the staff at the hospital was kinda shady but overall alright. i was able to take care of my bills and my family. on my way back to there.
Working at Duke
Financial Care Counselor (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 27, 2018
I have been an employee here at Duke University for 20yrs now. IT has been a great experience, I have enjoyed working with people, interacting with the patients, and giving great customer service. I have taken classes in the past to be able to advance to the next level in my career here at Duke. I started 20yrs ago as a receptionist and worked my way up, and now I'm a FCC/ Financial Care Counselor. I'm currently enrolled in college working ,associated degree in Medical Coding.