Duke University Health Systems Employee Reviews

Rude and quick to take sides
Rather not say (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 10, 2018
Very rude coworkers, not helpful ,its their way or no way attitudes. Poor pay, benefits. Hiring process wasnt as it should have been. More training days than was stated.
Pros
Hrs
Cons
No one capable of training others
Duke Hospital
Nursing Assistant/ HUC (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 7, 2018
Working at Duke has its perks, such as the discounts. However, they fall short on keeping up with their name, and what Duke should represent. They appear to care for their employees, however their action proves otherwise. We have no voice, and their attendance policy is a setup for failure. The breaks are: 2-15 minutes and 1-30 minutes. This may be okay for some places, however Duke is large with lots of: employees, visitors, and patients. By the time you get to the cafeteria half your break is gone, then you have to stand in long lines. These are small- big things that upper management doesn't care about.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
Attendance policy, Duke Ethics, and Short breaks
Case manager
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 3, 2018
I met some wonderful people working for Duke. Unfortunately, there was an issue with leadership.

There was no balance between work life and personal life. Barely even had time to sleep.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Poor leadership
Access specialist ii
Access Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 21, 2018
There is a terrible lack in communication system wide. In my position you are given an impossible task to be the one stop shop for the health system without being given the tools to do the job. New expectations are added with no compensation and minimal training. Duke was a quality place to work in the past but has become a terrible mess, that seems to cares less about quality of care and more about quantity. Management makes what should be an easy job impossible. We do have an awesome work environment and everyone is pleasant to work with, but the job itself is terrible. There is paid time off, but Holidays, sick days, bereavement days comes out of your PTO. The pay is terrible and not a living wage for this area.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
Organized Chaos
Horrible compensation
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 15, 2018
Compensation is well below national average - for new nurses, the starting rate is 23.85/hour. Also, if you are coming from another state without state tax you will be surprised with your paycheck! After tax deduction, the effective rate for new nurses is around $18.00 per hour!!
Pros
Reputable Institution
Cons
Pay
yes Fun and relaxing
CVIS 1 (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 22, 2018
Good people and nice. Very welcoming. There isnt much more to say. They gave me the chance no one else would. I am very greatful for Duke Hospital. The people are very helpful. I learned alot.
Great Coworkers Poor Management
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 11, 2018
How to maximize patient care with coordination and communication with fellow coworkers in a fast paced environment is what I learned.
Lack of management support is the worst of it
Duke University
Epic Application Analyst / Builder (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 9, 2018
Workplace is very quiet and unless its a training for Medical staff. I've trained ALL Medical Staff on different Epic Modules and have enjoyed it for the past 71/2 years.
Overworked and underpaid
RMA (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 9, 2018
Was definitely overworked and underpaid. Wasn’t expecting to stay in my position as long as I did. Voiced my concerns all of which fell on deaf ears. Didn’t really care about how I felt. Just needed someone to fill the position.
fun workplace
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 2, 2018
take cardboard and trash out to dumpsters
scrap trucks in timely manor
load and unload dish machine
prep dish items for service line
clean dish machine and room upon leaving
Pros
lunch breaks and 15 min breaks
Cons
sometimes its busy so lunch will be a little late
Fast pace learning entity.
Certified Sterile ProcessingTechnician (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 1, 2018
Constant heavy lifting pulling and pushing is the hard part of the job. I have learned 3 forms of sterilization and the process of incubating biological vials. I process 20-40 instrument trays in 8 hours. Diverse management and workplace. I enjoy seeing patient leave well.
Pros
Educational benefits
Cons
Short staffing
Isolated and Untrustworthy
Clinical Trial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 25, 2018
You learn quickly that majority of personnel are unhappy and would never recommend a friend or family member to work in their department.
The company tell you that they want 85-90% production, but want you to record 100% of work for projects (Give no location for breaks and if you don't track time you don't get paid for it).
Micromanagement is a HUGE thing and the upper personnel believe it to be normal and okay. When the subject is brought up they turn the other way and try to change the topic saying that it is not micromanaging that they are making sure everything is being done correctly and in a timely matter.
Pros
Flex-schedule, fun events(when you can step away)
Cons
Short lunch, no breaks, low pay, micromanagement, no growth
Duke Regional
Patient Transporter (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 21, 2018
I was excited to learn and love the job. Everyone is friendly and very nice! You get two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute break but its still a good job.
Pros
Good pay and benefits!
Cons
N/a
N/a
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 11, 2018
Need better managment. Work culture needs reforming. Duke needs to care more about workers the same as they care about the their patients. And pay their employees more to match the cost of living.
overall satisfaction
Vascular Access Nurse (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 9, 2018
I was part of the specialized Vascular Access Team, it was very challenging in the beginning as any new job would be. Overall the team was very patient with me being a new and inexperienced member. The manager always looked out for the benefit of the team and provided support when needed.
The hardest part of the job was navigating around the huge campus and learning the epic system.
Working at a Primary Care
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 8, 2018
Everyday I get to see patients, and get to be part of their continuation of care. Love to encourage patients when they meet their health goals that the providers have adviced them to follow. I'm always focused in making sure patients get 100 percent satisfaction when they come to our primary care. Love to greet patients with a smile making them feel welcome to our facility.
fair place to work
CLT II (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 30, 2018
good place to work. I don't want to leave I would recommend this place to others that need a job. Everyone works as a team to complete the work that needs to get done.
One of the best places I've worked!!!
Patient Account Analyst - Auditor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 16, 2018
*Expectations are clearly defined
*Training is Effective
*Supervisors keep you abreast of your performance and KPI (You know how you're doing)
*You're expected to perform and you're recognized for doing a great job
Pros
Knowledgeable, effective, and strong leaders
Depending on your department great place to work
Customer Service/Billing Dept (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 6, 2018
Duke has great pay, but their benefits are not good,. You pay for your own vacation time and holidays. There is no advancement unless you are very close with someone in management.
Pros
no paid time off and benefits are too expensive
Cons
Pay
Supportive Work Place
Dietary Aid (Former Employee) –  Durham, N.C.March 5, 2018
I feel that working there took great maturity and work ethic. I needed daily motivation, because of the fast paced environment a great number of staff can be rude. I loved the fact that there was always room to make over time whenever I needed extra help financially. Overall to me Duke University Health Systems are very supportive employer.
Pros
Paid time off, and over time opportunities
Cons
Rude staff