Duke University Health Systems

United States345 reviews

Duke University Health Systems insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Learning advanced medial skills

Always able to learn something new in the medical field and get to see and do advanced therapies daily. You stay very busy, often not getting breaks to take a drink or eat lunch. Patients are very appreciative of the care you give.

Pros

Staying on top of medical advancements and different disease processes.

Cons

Little or no breaks most days. Too many managers, who don't care enough to notice the hard workers vs the lazy employees who do nothing.

Great place to work, need more compensation

Duke Health System has a diverse work force and good culture. However, they use their benefits (notably retirement, HSA) to offset not compensating health care staff adequately. I was disheartened by upper administration not offering better pay for health care staff throughout covid in order to retain nurses, NAs. I overall disagreed with management of staffing throughout the pandemic, but fear this may be related to a larger national crisis among health care administration.

Just not for me

Working in the float pool was not best, traveling for 1-2 hours and with no compensation for the travel. Many of the managers there are very careless and I was frowned upon often. The work load is heavy managers, nurses, and doctor don't care too much for doing the work. They want the CMA's to do it all. I've rarely experienced good facilities. There are other facilities where staff will have attitudes with anyone that don't know and it really doesn't allow you to enjoy your job and do your best. Especially when the work load is so heavy. If you don't have a degree or connections. Be prepared to work like a dog. Be prepared to get called for a special " project " where they use you for bonuses and don't care to give raises when you drive hours to get to locations. Be prepared for emails telling other staff you need to work hard everyday. Its sad how CMA's are treated and undervalued yet you want them to do everything you don't want to do.... with no overtime.

Pros

the patients

Cons

pay, bully hierarchy, distance

Best of the best hospital with regards to the operating room. Top class surgeons and clinical staff makes for highly enjoyable days both personally as well as for the patients.

Many Resources for the community. Poor management at the time I was employed.

Duke has the abiity to provide many community resources to assist in the DC planning to patients. This allows for smoother transitions for patients throught the system and less rates of readmissions. During the time of my employment, the management changed and my supervisor was not the most knowledgeable of her practice or skilled with people. It made my days very exhausting.

Pros

Appointments close to campus.

Cons

Poor management, at the time.

Job seekers rely on your experience.

It was hard to believe the hiring practice- 0n boarding was very out dated and the procedures were from the 1980's practices.

Management was not good in my department even 1st time managers not the quality charateristics expected from a professional. My area worked were the COVID testing sites out door tents in 2020. Managers did not or were not prepared to accomodate the workers in the weather at all!

Pros

Free liquid drinks, coffee, tea, water at times.one hour lunch.

Cons

Charge staff spokecondescing to the working staff, Short staffed, Outside and exposed to the elements of the weather.

Good benefits and pension- low pay, no flexibility

As an RN you punch a clock- no flexibility for a doctors appt or quick errand. Feels like living to work. Change isn’t something that happens quickly or often as innovation seems to be crushed by bureaucracy. Fewer advancement opportunities than those deserving of them. Great for a new graduate, but once you’ve gained some training you can do far better elsewhere.

Pros

Pensions and good health benefits. Mediocre PTO.

Cons

Employees pay for their own parking, no flexibility, no paid holidays, no performance based increases last 2 years.

Good nurse ratios

High acuity patients but good nurse ratios. Coworkers are helpful. There are 3 buildings, Duke North is very old and small. DMP and DCT are modern and big.

I loved working at Duke. I felt respected and appreciated. Yes it was high stress but I'd go back in a heartbeat. Working during covid was rough but we made it through.

Pros

Respect

Cons

High stress environment

Work life balance important to employer

Pay may not be the absolute highest, but this is made up by the outstanding benefits package I received. The management tries really hard to support us and overall there is a large sense of camaraderie among the group.

Pros

Flexible schedule, supportive, great benefits

Cons

Lower pay than other places.

Good place to work and move up

Great place to work and advance. You are able to work with top clinicians. Competitive pay and benefits. Most managers are very good. Would work there again.

Pros

Pay, benefits

Good Place to Start but Not Supportive

I worked briefly at Duke and the best thing about it was getting the name on your resume, and being able to see complex cases. However, I did not have a good relationship with the manager, and it really showed. They treat their staff as disposable.

Pros

Name, Location

Cons

Management, Will treat you as disposable

Management can be irresponsible at times

Benefits are one of the main reasons why I'm still employed here especially if you're interested in starting a family or maybe trying to elevate your job status by registering for jobs that the Employer will pay for.

Pros

Long lunch breaks

Cons

Employee will spread rumers about you

Room for advancement

This job, overall was a good job. If you do your kid, you can easily move up the ladder. Management works with you to make sure you are successful. Coworkers make you feel like family.

You have to pay to park

Great place to work but the pay is terrible for such a big and reputable organization. CMAs aren’t paid what they are worth. Employees have to pay to park which is very expensive and you still have a great distance to walk or catch the bus to get to the job.

Pros

Coworkers are a joy

Cons

Pay And having to Pay for parking

Coasting on old reputation

As a 20+ yr nursing veteran who worked for DUHS at different times in her career, my advice is to stay away. While the researchers at Duke continue to deliver, working in the DUHS hospitals is abysmal. The work environment is crushing and unsupported, and the staff turnover in every discipline is so grotesque that there is minimal experience present, and inexperienced folks have been training less experienced folks for a while, and now no one knows anything. People work there 12-24 months for their resume, then go elsewhere where the conditions and pay are less insulting. Duke used to have amazing benefits; now the academic staff have better pay and benefits than the healthcare workers. I was sadly disappointed, and will not work for that system again.

Pros

Cons

Poor work environment. Understaffed, disrespected

Teaching hospital

Good place to learn as a new grad RN. Great shift differentials! Pros- Hires new grads for any unit Teaching hospital Cons- Have to pay for parking at main hospital

Cons

Parking

Nurses are overworked and underpaid

I worked at Duke Cancer Clinic for over a year. I worked four ten hours shifts, which was really nice. The clinic schedules are convenient because you work a normal weekday schedule M-F. No weekends, nights, or holidays. Each week you have one weekday off. It was easy to request off the days you need, despite being short staffed. Since starting I did receive a $3.00/hour raise which applied to all nurses. However, the pay is still low compared to competing hospitals in the area. Management was inexperienced and conflict avoidant. Loved my co-workers, however, as soon as one good person is hired another quits so you are constantly understaffed. As soon as the COVID vaccine mandate was put in place, I immediately started looking for another job. I ended up quitting and going to another job before the jab mandate deadline. My freedom to make my own medical decisions means more to me than any paycheck from Duke.

Pros

Great coworkers, Hours

Cons

Understaffed, poor management

Very busy and fast paced environment

Since CVID -19 erupted, the workload significantly increased in Duke Labs, especially in Micro. Many people are leaving due to constant overload and often being understaffed.

Pros

Great new building with spacious breakrooms, two 30 min breaks.

Cons

Work overload

Wonderful place to work!

Absolutely loved working here. The people and the culture is truly amazing. Working in a busy ER was tough, but the support was there. You will get the best education.

A good place to start your career and learn your craft.

Duke is a large institution. There are many specialties and learning is encouraged. There is a Clinical Ladder for RN advancement. The benefit package is very good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Duke University Health Systems. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Duke University Health Systems with