Duke University
72Above average

Duke University Employee Reviews

United States1,104 reviews
Found 1,104 reviews matching the search
Duke was great when I was there. There were some barriers to growth which caused me to seek employment somewhere else, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is a great place to work. Innovative and progressive, Duke succeeds in caring for it's employees.
Pros
Benefits, compensation, lots of room for growth
Cons
Lack of multicultural sensitivity in some areas of workplace culture
Great for resume but the pay is not great. Very demanding of your time and rolls out protocols with little explanations and does not respect your time off
I truly enjoyed and appreciated the atmosphere and culture at Duke. The Diversity was beyond anything I had ever seen.. Biggest concern is pay not matching today's economic times and benefits has multiple stipulations to them that you only learn after being hired.
Better teamwork is needed, team approached care related to beeping Ivs, call lights, and buddy systems for lunch breaks are a must for patient satisfaction. Better support from charge PCs’s tthat do not have attitudes and charge nurses willing to help.
Duke is a good place to learn and expand your knowledge and work with various care team members. It is a good stepping stone. Due to its advanced research and quality of care, healthcare employees will see a wide variety of cases and diverse patient population. This is all good experience for any healthcare worker.
Pros
Exposure, Education, Skillset Expansion
Cons
Management, Work Culture
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
I have enjoyed my tenure at Duke especially the physicians that I worked with. I never felt that this was a job it was more of community spirit. Fantastic place to work.
Pros
Luncheons for secretaries at the expense of the Division of Orthopaedic Surgery.
Cons
None.
Absolutely the best experience I've ever had interning with them. The department head always emphasized on fun first work later! Highly recommend anyone who is looking for work, but also fun.
Pros
Lot's of fun
The people are friendly and the campus is beautiful. I enjoyed working at Duke, unfortunately the work culture was not the environment for me to grow as an employee.
The culture of the environment encourages you to spend that time doing the things that make you who you are. There is a sense of family and support that you don't find at most organizations of this size.
Great place love working there the environment is great the people love the customer and the people that come on campus great atmosphere surrounded by different people
I loved the focus on a happy team working together to give the best care. Duke Raleigh was a lot less competitive amongst therapists which I've seen in previous places. I thought the demands of the job were a great balance of feeling like a contributor with enough challenge and purpose while also being able to have a balanced life. I did not take my work home physically or emotionally while working at Duke Raleigh. My team was kind and inclusive.
Pros:
Very complicated patients creates great learning opportunities.

You will create lasting friendships with coworkers.

Cons:

Low salary and hourly wages, no on-call pay is a standard.

Parking $90+/mo, increases yearly, impacted by sporting events.

Limited opportunity for advancement unless you are a white male.

Very physician oriented, nurses and support staff are largely ignored.

Toxic work environments: consistently poor work culture scores reflect this.

Traditional work place, does not embrace working remotely.

Buildings are shiny and new on the outside, filthy and unkempt inside.

Poor, expensive food options for staff and patients/families.

"The Duke Way" or the highway- managers not willing to entertain new

ideas.
If you are not a nurse, your medical skills have no value. Duke is just like any other job. The culture is not upheld by all who work at Duke. If you get in the right department with the right leader you can go far. If you get in the wrong department with department heads who want to do things "like they have always done" and you are a person who wants to grow an thrive the company will not be a good fit.
As an undergraduate research assistant I had a great time working for my lab. I enjoyed the work and the head researcher cared about us as people not just students.
Company has some really good initiatives but do not pay their Nurses adequately. Positions keep being eliminated but the tasks are added to the RN's responsibility. There seems to be more Doctor focused as opposed to the nurse.
Role and responsibilities always changing , inconsistent standards and dishonest management, the documentation requirements are inconsistent...patient safety is sacrificed to conduct the study. Not a safe practice.
Great culture to work in. Management is flexable and caring toward their employees and thier needs. A person learns new skills and techniques while working here that can help further themselves.
Duke University is a great job to work at. You can really grow and advance in many job opportunities they have to offer. I would recommend anyone looking for a job to apply.
Nice environment, somewhat friendly staff, compensation could be a bit more, benefits are pricey (different rates for employees who don't live in the durham area), parking could be less expensive (I don't understand the purpose of paying).
Students are wonderful, they make the school. Administration very racist. Not an equal opportunity employer.

There are some cool people there. Loved the student. They seemed to care more about how people are treated in the environment.
When I make a mistake no one fought for me either though I was a excellent worker they threw me away like a piece of trash, it really didn't matter whether conduct myself well or treated the patients or Co workers with respect I was on time never late never miss a day of work but what did it matter it didn't I sign a piece of paper that I wasn't of aware of "A PIECE OF PAPER" ththerewmisductmisconductminothingbobn
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Duke University. Our community is ready to answer.
Women's ratings

3.2Fairygodboss Score

54%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

54%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.