Duke University

Found 1,200 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,213 reviews

Duke University insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose

Duke University, slow and no advancement

The title says it all. The position I worked at the university provided no advancement without very good pay. The managers didn't really look out for your best interest but weren't horrible at the same time

Indoctrination on woke ideas is more important to them than competent employees.

Over 11 years the degradation in the culture and values was staggering. When I started I was respected and appreciated for my skills and ability to deliver solutions that require highly technical knowledge and training. In the end it was all about diversity and equity whatever that means. No longer are employees valued for knowledge or experience but how weird and abnormal they are. Do not waste your time if you are intelligent and wont to accomplish actual work.

Did not hold up to their core values

I would not recommend working here. Management does not know how to manage. They talk about core values of the workplace but when it comes down to it they do not hold up to the core values.

Great experience and professional development

Great experience and benefits - however it is difficult to get promoted within the organization. Everyone is kind but you have to be on your A game because Duke expects the best.

Pros

Lunches, Good culture, Great benefits, Excellent professional development, great job security

Cons

healthcare, low pay, hard to advance

It is generally a good place to work

The salaries have improved, however, demands are significant. Hard to advance to another position if you are older. It is a beautiful campus and there is diversity.

Pros

Exposure to a rich learning environment

Cons

Don't expect to advance if you are a bit older.

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

Dysfunctional and toxic work environment

My tenure at Duke has been incredibly disappointing. Morale across the enterprise is poor. The workplace is full of unmotivated coworkers, or Duke “Lifers,” that resist change and remain in their positions as they bide their time until retirement. Employees seem downright miserable and disgruntled. Also very Under-staffed which leads to exhaustion and severe burnout. Finger-pointing, criticism, and animosity is rampant.Insufficient, confusing, and scattered communication from management that expects perfection while remaining subpar at best.The systems are incredibly broken and antiquated. To see an increase in pay, you have to completely leave or move around. Overall, dysfunctional and toxic work environment filled with micro aggressions. I wouldn’t recommend employment at Duke.

Benefits

Cons

Incredibly toxic culture that Duke diligently works to conceal from the public.

Nice Company to work with.

There isn't too much workload working at Duke University. Colleagues are nice. We help each other and motivate each other. Overall, it's a good experience working at Duke.

An absolute nightmare

You will be surrounded by self loving individuals who will not even bat an eye to throw you under the bus. You are not an individual, but rather a mechanism to generate revenue. Grow eyes in the back of your head.

Pros

Cons

The constant knife wounds you get in your back.

Outstanding university, employer and culture.

Great reputation and employer. Great benefits. School of Medicine was outstanding to be a part of. Wonderful staff, leaders who care about each other and will help each other at any time.

Pros

Excellent leadership

Great learning environment

Honestly my only complaints about working at Duke is that you basically have to pay to come to work with their expensive parking passes. My coworkers and I have gotten around it in some ways but parking is seriously ridiculous. Also, the benefits are great except for dental. Dental doesn't cover much of anything. And fellow African Americans, watch out for the usual people that try to give you a hard time for no reason. Most of campus is very nice and welcoming; but just like anywhere else you will have some people that try it.

Pros

Job Security, lots of perks, plenty of room to grow as a scientist and network

Cons

Parking, dental, occasionally toxic academia

Great experience and wonderful manager

Great place to gain experience! Not a place if you are expecting competitive wages, but you will see and do more than most facilities. Team culture feels like some coworkers are trying to find and expose your flaws, but that is minimal.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Pay

Keeps you busy

Great benefits. It was great working with student- athletes. It beats seating in front of a monitor. It had its perks at times but if your department isn’t a priority, you will be an afterthought.

Worked at Duke for many years. Great culture and benefits. Terrible parking.Duke is huge so your experience will depend on where you work within. Administrators can be a pain, but they are in any company.

Pros

Healthcare

I love that the colors are blue, white, and black. It helps for the feel that it is laid back and fits with almost anything you wear. The people are great

Great management

I love working as a CNA when I was Staffing on the floor. Working one-on-one with suicide patients can be very stressful. If I had my choice I would rather staff on the floor than do sitter jobs

Pros

Lots of team work

Cons

Low pay, pay for parking, high insurance

Good place to live

Good place to live, and lots of opportunities. One can enjoy basic sciences and explore the beauty of the nature. People are nice and you can always find support from many places.

Buyer beware.

Duke CAN be a great place to work, but for me it was not.My management was awful. There was a lot of nepotism in my dept, and inequity in pay. Men got paid more. Our Dept was always understaffed. Hospital mission was a load of hyperbole.Health insurance was decent. I liked at least half of the people I worked with.That's about it.

Pros

If you're into brand names, bravo.

Cons

Too much work, too little care for employees.

Postdoc

Low pay compared to other leading universities. No roll over of unused PTO. Smart people work around you. Very competitive environment. No work life balance.

Pros

Smart colleague

Cons

Low pay, long working hour

Perfect Work/Life balance

Duke University is a really great University to work for. I've been working here till January 2021, and I've faced no issues yet. The compensation is low, but that's true for most of the University jobs anyways.

Great people

Duke is a great place for graduate school. Durham is a nice city for young people. Most people are progressive and want you to succeed. Stipend is also very livable.

Okay for New Grads

Overall my experience at Duke as a New Grad RN hasn’t been terrible. I have learned a lot. However we are underpaid and overworked. Nurses are leaving in droves.

Pros

Good health care benefits

Cons

Hard to get breaks & high patient ratios

Common questions about Duke University

Answered by current and former employees at Duke University

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Duke University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Women's ratings

3.1Fairygodboss Score

57%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss