Duluth Trading Company Employee Reviews

Everyone was very welcoming(including management.) Very thorough training.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Belleville, WIMarch 18, 2019
In my opinion, Duluth is a good place to work during September through February or so. Some people got hired permanently, however it is a seasonal job.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
I think they just raised wages? If not they were on the low side.
Easy place to work can get stressfull at peak season
Flex-Part Time Call Center Admin (Current Employee) –  Belleville, WIMarch 7, 2019
emailing, calling, order holds, gift cards, mail orders, seasonal employee. Hours are reasonable, friendly enviornment where people are willing to help you.
Productive and very nice place to shop in
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDFebruary 27, 2019
A typical day at work would be moderately busy and fulfilling what is needed to be done in the store. Workers help each other out a lot which is very nice when someone might be behind. The management at Duluth Trading Company is good. Managers would be mindful and fair towards the employees. The hardest part of the job is probably knowing the difference between products as many are similar yet different. To help customers in that area is challenging but rewarding when you help them find what they need. I find it most enjoyable when everyone is working at a consistent pace almost as if we are in our rhythm. Sometimes when we work at a fairly fast pace we can get ahead in some areas such as restocking and making sure we have everything that we need in the store on the main floor.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short breaks
I enjoyed working at Duluth Trading during peak season
Replenishment (Current Employee) –  Belleville, WIFebruary 25, 2019
I enjoyed working at Duluth Trading during peak season, but once that was over, I was only working 15-20 hours per week. It was important to be flexible and willing to change tasks when necessary.
Pros
Peak hours where I would work 40-50 hours per week
Cons
Off season where I only work 15-20 hours
seasonal
Telephone Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Home BasedFebruary 23, 2019
Seasonals are used up and not brought along once their peak season is over. Hard to STAY hired on. The work itself was great and lots of support. Also long waiting times for help.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Wixom, MIFebruary 22, 2019
this is a great place to work as a past employee I would recommend anyone to shop or work there. The staff are fun and great to get along with. The management team really appreciates the hard work that the staff Associates do and show that in great mannerism. Amazing employee discount as well.
Package Handler/Sorter (Former Employee) –  Belleville, WIFebruary 15, 2019
Since I've left, there have been some major changes to the location of packaging and shipping. They continue to grow and I would assume more opportunities come about as well but I did not see them.
The Left Hand Can't Talk to the Right
DC Flex Lead and Workflow Support (Current Employee) –  Belleville, WIFebruary 12, 2019
If you aren't in corporate you don't really matter to the company. I worked harder than most and had people getting paid the same to just stand around and "babysit". They do not encourage their employees as much as they could. Also, when I would identify problems with the automation system, I was disregarded multiple times and forced to deal with the problems in "not the norm" ways. As soon as another coworker would mention it, it was dealt with right away and taken very seriously. I would recommend only working during their seasonal positions because you can make extra money for the holidays and you won't be sucked into their terrible politics.
Pros
Overtime during Seasonal
Cons
Unpaid Lunch, workplace politics, not enough pay
Fast-paced, independent job setting.
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Belleville, WIJanuary 19, 2019
Job was very independent and relaxed. A typical day at work was doing mostly pick/packing duties. Was a pretty good job for a seasonal position and was a good first distribution center job.
Management doesn't seem to take the job serious for their employees.
Returns Analyzer (Former Employee) –  Verona, WIJanuary 16, 2019
Well, what can I say? The work was simple enough yet training staff always made everything a little more stressful and more complicated than things needed to be. I was "hired" thru a staffing agency yet they seemed to believe that I wasn't technically their employee so I was treated as a guest. I was never given a fob, or any credentials as the lead made me believe temps didn't receive credentials even though my fellow co-workers that were staffed thru the same agency were treated respectfully and even given a Picture ID card, as well as a fob. I know this to be certain as my extended family member was also given the job thru my agency as well. I didn't make a big deal as I don't like to accuse anyone of being prejudice, or being discrimatory if it isn't the case. I felt like I was being used, and most of my ideas were taken and they implemented most of my suggestions, yet I never received praise or compensation for having helped them better their operations and management skills. I kept getting told that I was to be hired, and that I was doing a great job. They also made me feel like I was constantly being singled out as they seemed to expect more out of me and let other people get away with those same issues I was being questioned about and even scolded about. They kept on switching the process and I just felt like I wasn't welcome by the staff. I observed how they mocked "special needs" people and always said things in an "antagonizing" manner. I liked the job as I have done something similar in the past, yet I guess being "too good" at your job makes them insecure about  more... how well they do theirs. I don't see any other reason as to why they would all of a sudden back out from the offer of employment they had extended as well as the hours I was told I could pick up after the first peak period. If I was intentionally giving unfair treatment, then I guess the only thing I can do now is seek compensation for being treated wrongfully. I never had a problem with staff, but I also never allowed anyone to have a bad opinion about me either, as I am very friendly and get along with everyone. I still am in contact with some co-workers that are witness to the kind of treatment I was given. It's not the best paying job, but I was working hard to prove my worth. Guess that didn't matter to them though. I'm sorry things didn't work out for them. I wish they would have told me that I should apply for another job as I was under the impression I had landed the opportunity already. Either way, I am looking forward to making a little more elsewhere. Thanks for the opportunity either way. I learned a lot and how some people really are behind the friendly faces they put on.  less
Pros
Great incentives, discount, events, great atmosphere, some people are friendly.
Cons
Unfair treatment to new hires/temps, mandatory hours, the people who have worked there don't follow their own rules
it was alright
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, WIJanuary 16, 2019
it was a good experience, but they were really bad at communicating with their employees. When I had the 3 weeks of training it wasn't always the best. I didn't feel like the teacher/trainer wanted to be there and also he didn't do the best job at explaining the phone call part of the job. Once it was actually time to do the job and be on the floor I was scared and nervous because I had no idea of what I was really doing.
Used to be fun, but not any more
Returns Processor / Trainer (Current Employee) –  Verona, WIJanuary 3, 2019
My review only pertains to the Returns Center located in Verona, WI:

Since becoming a publicly-traded company, the work environment has gone from fun and easy-going to unnecessarily stressful and unpleasant. Management no longer has any interest in employees' health and well-being and policy decisions are now strictly based on profitability.

Part-time employees who were originally hired to work 12-18 hours a week are now mandated to work 24-32 hours a week and are scheduled during times when they are not available due to having a full-time job. Management refuses to negotiate and threatens employees with an "occurrence" if they don't work these mandated hours - leading up to eventual termination.

Our positions are primarily clerical, but we are not allowed to sit during our shift unless we have a doctor's note to do so. We are forced to stand in one place on a concrete floor (with a thin rubber mat) for the entire shift. When management was asked for the reason for this recent policy change, the repeated response was simply, "it says so in the position description." My opinion is that, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The work stations are extremely non-ergonomic unless you are over 6 feet tall. Their height is too high to sit (if you are allowed to) and too low to stand, There are work stations with different heights, but we are not allowed to choose a comfortable work station. Taller workers stuck at a short station have resorted to sticking wooden blocks under the legs, but there is no resolution for short workers stuck at tall stations.

Temperatures
  more... in the warehouse are also poorly regulated - especially in the summer, when the temperature is in the high-90s most days and there is no air conditioning.  less
Pros
The company has high-quality products
Cons
Terrible work environment
fun place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIJanuary 1, 2019
Enjoyed my time working at Duluth! I would still be working there but we moved out of state where there is no Duluth ..Not yet anyway! Great employee discount, great people I worked with!
Productive and Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fridley, MNNovember 29, 2018
Overall it was good first job. They worked well with my busy school schedule since i was in sports at the time. Managers were all friendly along with all the other employes.
Pros
good breaks
Cons
MIght have to stay a littel late to clean
Good pay for easy work
Returns Analyzer (Former Employee) –  Verona, WINovember 12, 2018
As a returns analyzer, the job was very monotonous but you are able to talk with the people around you. You do the same thing all day, everyday. Its in a warehouse, but everyone is very nice and the compensation was fair. I worked here as a student in high school and they were very flexible with hours and requested time off. You are required to stand for your entire shift which is hard for some of the people. The manager when I worked there was fair and the discount is nice around the holidays.
Duluth Trading Company
Supervisor Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Belleville, WIOctober 25, 2018
Duluth Trading Company has so many opportunities as an up and coming Company. The products sold are highly tested and tried. The staff is fun and this tends to be a face paced high calls volume type atmosphere if you are employed in the Call Center, they have superior Customer Service and a "No Bull Guarantee" which means of your product fails or wears out you return the product for free and receive a new one! If your in the warehouse it is huge, huge! The Buyers are so unique they have a marketing plan like no other, check out the commercials and there website. Great online ordering and easy returns. The store locations are popping up all over the country! They have great seasonal positions and offer a deep discount to the employees. Check them out a fun fast paced environment always training the employees for innovation and to raise the bar!
Pros
Pay needs to be increased. They have increased seasonal employees, needs to be increased more, though.
Cons
None really, fun place to work!
MATERIAL HANDLER (Former Employee) –  Belleville, WIOctober 10, 2018
It is very fast paced work. You need to come in ready to work. Be ready for people to bug you, everyone is friendly but can be annoying. I've learned that there is NO communication, you kind of have to figure things out by yourself, though you do get great training, its just sometimes you aren't told what to do you just have to figure it out.
Pros
Breaks, People are nice.
Cons
not enough communication.
Fun job and great managemennt
RETAIL ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 3, 2018
Quick paced job, great customers and management. well managed, flexible on hours, pay is just ok(pretty normal for retail tho). coworkers were great.
Fun, Laid back place to work
Stockroom Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 1, 2018
Typical day includes receipt, unpacking, distribution to departments, and back-stocking of daily merchandise. Customer service is always your first priority. Workplace culture is positive, where as while trying to provide the customers with a great experience, management also wants their associates to have a good experience while maintaining a good work/life balance.
Pros
good management staff, friendly associates, and friendly customers
Cons
Holiday season can be a little stressful when dealing in retail
Fun people who were like a family
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PASeptember 25, 2018
Could have used more hours for part timers. Good employee discount plan. Quality product. The co. worked to help accomodate my life outside work. Fun people and fun place to work. Never bored or stuck in one job for too long.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Duluth Trading Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight