Dungarvin Employee Reviews

Good purpose, terrible execution
Direct Service Professional (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 12, 2019
Management is a mess. Employee morale and retention is terrible. There is serious lack of communication between staff on the floor and upstairs. The only reason to stay around is because of the clients. I fell in love with them on day one. Management makes it difficult to best serve clients' needs however, which becomes frustrating and causes burnout.
Mission statement
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 11, 2019
Dungarvin doesn't really live up to it's mission statement. Respecting and responding to individuals. Not really what they offer the employees that go above and beyond for the individuals usually don't last long. Dungarvin plays favoritism with family and friends first in promoting within. Typically the management is incompetent, rude, and passive aggressive when it comes to interacting with employees. Dungarvin reprimands you for hiring qualified people for position that they deserve. Low pay and over work is the moto.
Pros
Individuals that we serve.
Cons
Low pay long hours and days to make the rent.
Fun but chaotically run.
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 10, 2019
Pretty badly organized and working with limited training and support in poorly organized work environment. Extremely poor communication and organization from management. Even long term employees are generally confused about expectations and procedures. The work is fairly intrinsically rewarding, and when a client is successful, it helps us to feel pretty good about our work.
Pros
Casual
Cons
Poor organization
Run, Run, Run
Community Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIJune 10, 2019
The worst place I ever worked. Bad management, too many hours, too little pay, no benefits, can't live on what your paid unless you work 60 plus hours each week. Treated like garbage. People always quitting because it's so bad.
Pros
Casual dress
Cons
Incompetence
Good pay and little to do.
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 7, 2019
The management is fine and the job is very clear. If you can read and follow instructions you'll find this job easy. As long as you can deal with the people and the clients there. It definitely isn't for everyone. There's a lot of high school gossip, but avoid that keep to yourself. Remember you're at work to work not to make friends.
Pros
Downtime
Cons
Downtime
Challenge and Purpose
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 4, 2019
I want to clarify for those who may not be aware: Like many companies in this field, the corporate culture, work environment, and job duties vary hugely across locations. I work as a job coach at a day program in Oregon, so I can only really speak on the basis of my time with the supported employment program, some work in the day program proper, and limited time at the central office in Portland.

There are people (likely many more people than the cynics think) in Dungarvin management who really genuinely care about their employees. My boss fought for titles, pay, and training for the DSP's in the supported employment program and after two years she got her way: after less than six months working I got a 2.75 dollar hourly raise. That hugely made me feel cared about.

Something that is incredibly important for person-centered care is commitment: I stated my intent to stay in the program for at least a year, and that commitment was met with a huge outpouring of trust and responsibility. I could stay in this program for the rest of my life and not miss out. I honestly feel the love of God in this place. So sue me for getting religious and weepy.

The staff at the day program cares about their clients so much it sometimes makes me nervous :-). Seriously, there is fanfare every time a client arrives at the program, and a chorus of farewells every time a client leaves. My perception of the corporate office is also very positive: every time I have visited for training or on program business I have always been overwhelmed by smiling, friendly people.
Houses vary hugely:
  more... I see snippets of house life as a program Job Coach, and have shadowed. Largely it depends on staff attitudes and effective caring management.

Once again, I want to reiterate that this is a person centered industry. The lives and needs of the clients come first. During extreme weather, staff buckled down and made the commute to their grouphomes, or stayed on and cared for individuals well past their shifts. If you can handle commitment, bring a positive attitude, and care for the people you support, Dungarvin is worth a look.
Pros
Positive culture, benefits for full time, high ideals, purpose
Cons
Bad family healthcare rates, low DSP pay, state dependent wage structure
Great place
Human Resources Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJMay 30, 2019
Overall good place to work
Nice people to work with in the office
Good office and location
Ok benefits and ok pay!
Also many perks I’ve had a good experience
Pros
work life balance
Cons
No growth
Awesome clients
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIMay 29, 2019
The clients were great.My supervisor was also wonderful. Very understanding in family situations. Easy going and very hood at listening to the needs of clients
Pros
Clients
Cons
Not always the best co-workers
Overall nice place to work
Program Counselor (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INMay 26, 2019
If you like helping people and being an the health care field this is the perfect place for you. You get to learn alot and get some great experiece while helping people who cant help themselves
Pros
pay
Dont recommend
Caregiver (Full-Time) (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 23, 2019
Terrible company they couldnt be honest . Terrible directors and management they treat their employees with little respect and dont value them. They are just there for the money
Demanding and Stressful
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  OregonMay 23, 2019
You can make good money if you work a lot of hours. There was always work! The job can be stressful, and demanding some days are easier than others. Best part was being able to make clients lives a little better.
Pros
Can make money, if you work a lot of hrs.
Cons
Stressful and Demanding
Don't work here!
CSP (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIMay 22, 2019
If you like being treated like less than nothing while providing outstanding care for vulnerable adults, then this is the job for you. The pay and the management are insulting. Mostly angry co-worker's for the same reasons. Changing rules daily. Shall I go on? If you are offered a job, RUN!
Very poor pay for dsp
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 20, 2019
No matter how long you stay there u will not make over $11.50 , been working there for 18yrs . Even the Xmas $20 gift cars they used to give , they took it away . They just don’t appreciate the hard work of the dsp . It’s really hard to b committed. The only reason I am still there is I am used to my guys I take care . I have to get a second job where the started more than I am making with them after 18yrs . Not a place I will recommend t
Pros
Zero pro
Cons
No bonus, no appreciation no matter what you do
Rewarding Job, Horrible Management
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 17, 2019
The management wouldnt listen to issues, then issues would get much worse. Some of the other staff were pretty great, made a couple of real friends. But the management ruined the whole experience for me. I worked one on one with a women that was very bonded to me, when I left I was very sad to do so, but I couldn't stay in the toxic environment.
The work itself was VERY hard, mostly mentally. And I was injured a couple times. But for the most part I left feeling fulfilled.
However, I was left feeling taken advantage of by the management team when it came to hours.
Pros
Free meals, Clients
Cons
No Breaks(unless you smoke), Management, Long hours
It was quite a learning and challenging experience
HEALTH AIDE (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 15, 2019
It was my first professional experience in this field. Loved my clients. I worked in a home with 2 clients both with behavioral and mental challenges as well as physical.
Pros
Only 2 clients. Yet most times 2 staff at all times.
Cons
Pay could have been better
Clients are great; management is terrible
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  OregonMay 10, 2019
I really enjoyed the clients that I worked with but upper management (outside of the house) was always changing and inconsistent. Staff are often left feeling unsupported and unappreciated by management. The job itself was rewarding but the pay was not enough to make ends meet. I would have stayed for the clients but couldn't afford to, unfortunately.
Pros
fun outings with clients
Cons
poor pay and poor management
Learning experience
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 6, 2019
A typical day would be productive and somewhat easy-going, depending on day. Being able to help others who cannot help themselves was very rewarding. I learned patience, compassion, and gratitude. The hardest part of the job had to be when certain clients had hard times expressing their feelings and how to deal with life from their perspective. The most enjoyable part would be when I got to see the clients excel in their lives and personal goals. To see them happy and enjoy the company of others. The workplace culture was mostly inviting, a freedom to express your individuality at the least.
Pros
Benefits, Vacation time
Cons
Inadequacy of staff at times, Pay
It’s ok
Dss (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNApril 23, 2019
The overnight staff gets paid 14.50 because their cost of living went up, I’m a day staff that does darn near everything and get paid 12.25. Dungarvin doesn’t care about the Dss staff.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Co workers not showing up for their shift so you get stuck here
Crooked management, unsafe clients
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Isanti, MNApril 22, 2019
They allow unsafe people in their homes...individuals that should be in a locked facility! Clients attack staff causing medical problems and clients go to jail, and are allowed right back into the house!
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Bad management, unsafe
Official response from Dungarvin
May 15, 2019

One of our primary objectives is integrating the people we support into the community. We work with that person's team to develop a plan to attain that objective. Staff are educated and trained to address behavioral concerns that may accompany the transition as we absolutely care about the safety of our employees as well as the people we support.

Always a Job Available
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Mendota Heights, MNApril 17, 2019
If you are a person who likes change, the are plenty of homes to choose from with this company. Pay is not great but that is across the board. At least you know what you're in for ahead of time and you do receive a ton of training.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dungarvin. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight