Dunham's Sports Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
learning experience
ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Saint Johns, MIAugust 15, 2018
learned about different sports as well as rules and regulations on guns and DNR systems
management was rough a little disorganized with little trust with employees
hardest part was inventory at your store
best part was stocking and organizing the shoe department
It is a fun place to work and the coworkers are great!
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Wabash, INAugust 8, 2018
Honestly, the only problem I have with this job is the money I am making. I just graduated high school and I can’t afford an appartment with the money I make there.
Pros
Good working environment, great manager, flexible hours
Cons
Minimum wage pay, not enough hours
Slow Paced, Head manager Doesn't know whats going on half the time.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sanford, NCAugust 7, 2018
Head manager is clueless and sits in her office all day. She forgets to schedule people and has to cover the register weekly. They only will schedule you less then 20hrs a week. They are understaffed and do not prosecute for theft so anyone can steal anything they want in front of you and cant say anything to them. They can steal YETI'S or walk out with anything they would like.
Pros
If you like to do nothing its for you
Cons
everything
Amazing work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Poplar Bluff, MOAugust 6, 2018
Management is amazing they are will to work around your day to day life. They understand they you have a responsibilities outside of work. It's a great job to get your started , to give the experience you need.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Coming into work often became boring and repetitive. I think in order to have a successful day at work, employees have to be interested in being there
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Madison Heights, MIJuly 28, 2018
Moments at work were fun, some were dull. I thinking this location could use more employees. For the time I was the their were not enough employees for the company to have successful teamwork. Customers would get angry because of that from time to time and this was a big problem.
Pros
30-40 minute breaks, cool managers, easy work.
Cons
Low staff, can be repetitive
fun workplace but bad company
Team Member (Current Employee) –  alliance ohioJuly 28, 2018
I like the place to work but the management kind of just skrews you over. They promote those who don't work and give hours to those who just stand around or walk around the store. Outside hires are paid more than inside promotions. I am repeatedly shorted on my hours while people who just stand around and refuse to do anything are given over 20 hours every week.
Pros
discount, some coworkers, easy environment
Cons
hours, corporate, district manager, terrible advancement opportunities
productive
Department Coordinator of Apparel (Former Employee) –  Bloomsburg, PAJuly 26, 2018
i loved my job. i knew alot of customers. I though i did a good job at what i did. I was friendly, caring, helpful, understanding and people came back to see me. I felt sometimes I was robbed of my duties. I wasn't appreciated for my well done jobs. I caught people stealing. not one corporate thank you. it was like nothing. I protected my store. it was like my baby. Disappointed in the care of the employees.
Pros
i liked what i did
Cons
the things corporate came out with
Great First Job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lake Orion, MIJuly 22, 2018
Dunham's Sports was my first job when I was a senior in high school! I learned plenty, such as how to count money at a decent speed, customer service, how to work with others...mostly those who are very tough to work with. Stressful at moments when upset customers blame a mistake or an issue on yourself.
Pros
Decent discounts, flexible hours!
Cons
Long hours when needed
Store Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCJuly 18, 2018
Not really the best place to work. Under staffed. Pay is low. You will be required to do more than what is given at other sports stores. Dunham's needs to change the way they treat workers.
A good part time job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MIJuly 16, 2018
The store I worked in was flexible with hours. Our managers were friendly once you got to know them, and they never asked too much of you. Like anywhere you were assigned projects to complete, but as long as they were completed in a timely manner they wouldn't bother you too much.
Fun and relaxed place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, IL 61401July 13, 2018
Management lets you do your own thing while working and trusts you to work by yourself. Any big tasks, they will guide you but other than that you work by yourself and use your best judgement
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Mainly hires College age individuals, schedule changes weekly
Always moving
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJuly 8, 2018
There is always a lot to do with not enough employees or hours. Much of your time is spent managing from the sales floor while completing tasks. Can be fun and fast paced.
Pros
relaxed management, flexible hours, benefits
Cons
long hours, not enough payroll, no holiday pay
if you like a slow work place
Key Department Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Danville, VAJune 24, 2018
management is the worst I have ever worked for there is no advancement unless you want to move 10 hours away. The DM treats and looks at his people like they are below him.
Poor Management, Stressful workplace
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Piqua, OH 45356June 13, 2018
I worked for Dunham's for a short period of time. While there we had a very high turn over rate with employees. I would not recommend anyone to work here.
It was a good work place. Liked co workers. Many things available to customers liking.
Cahier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Maysville, KYJune 12, 2018
Didn’t like manager. Liked almost everything else about the job except pay and hours. Usually hung clothes and rang up customers. Helped customers when need be.
good people bad managment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  WisconsinJune 12, 2018
overall i have only worked here for 4 months and even now i hate it.

I wish that i was able to work in the morning but they are only looking for night people which doesnt work with my schedule but i have to make money some how so.
Productive and fun
Retail Associate, Cashier, and Dept. Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Angola, INJune 6, 2018
I learned how to get emails and I was able to help the company benefit from that. The hardest part of the job was always being stuck as cashier. I wanted the opportunity to advance and do more but was never given it to me because I was so good on getting emails. I understand but I deserve to grow and advance. Especially when I can do a great job for the company and do more!
Pros
Clean
Cons
bad pay
Productive and Relaxed Workplace
Key Team Leader/Apparel Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hannibal, MOJune 4, 2018
I really enjoy working at Dunham's Sports. A typical day is filled with fairly easy tasks such as rearranging and performing manager overrides. I learned how to market items in different ways so they will sell better and how to lay out merchandise to draw customers in. The work force is composed of many friendly co-workers who are there to get there job done. The hardest part of the job is dealing with unhappy customers and coming up with the correct solution to make them happy, but it helps me learn how to deal with difficult situations. The best part of the job is helping people find what they are looking for at the best price possible.
Pros
good break times, fun environment, great co-workers
Cons
low pay
Ok place to work with little compensation
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Franklin, WIMay 20, 2018
Overall a okay place to work. The sales floor is always understaffed. Managers are sometimes hard to find when they are needed. The raises for the individuals working there are mediocre. I have learned how to interact with customers on a day to day basis.
Easy but it sucked
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 17, 2018
the management was awful, nobody ever knew what to do. Impossible to do anything without a manager and there would only be 1 working at a time. Probably why they went out of business at my location

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dunham's Sports. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight