Dunn Bros Coffee Employee Reviews

Manager
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJune 8, 2018
I was the manager at Dunn bros. I made sure all the operations ran smoothly and did the schedule. I trained all the new staff. I did daily deposits and did the account for the owner.
Fun, family-environment workplace, though fast-paced
Barista (Former Employee) –  Friendswood, TXMay 15, 2018
Working at a coffee shop is often busy, but also often fun. Unlike my other barista jobs, Dunn Bros really had a family environment, both with the employees and the customers. Job hours were reasonably flexible, the manager was great. Just be prepared for the craziness of Rush!
Pros
free food and drinks, discounts
Cons
short breaks
High Intensity environment with availability of exceptional job love
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, MNApril 8, 2018
At Dunn Bros Coffee, it was often required that you come in with a warm welcoming approach as you are working in a highly respected joint of customer service. I found that time management was essential and friendliness was the key to having an enjoyable shift. The most enjoyable segment of this job is the room for growth of relationships between myself and other coworkers, as well as regular customers. Although not every interaction came with smiles and laughter, I found that my encouraging attitude allowed many individuals to go on and spread this joy. The most unique part about my job was the variety of lifestyles I was presented with by each of my coworkers. This was an amazing way to dig deep into the wide variety of diversity we each obtain. All in all, this job allowed for great opportunity of job love, even in fast-paced, high intensity units.
Pros
Discounted lunch, Amazing coworkers, Organized management
Cons
Short/No Breaks, Smell like coffee after
Great co workers
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNOctober 27, 2017
I learned a lot from my boss. He taught me a lot about the restaurant life and food service. I learned a lot about business from him too. I enjoyed my experience there.
Pros
Free lunches, Pto
Cons
Short breaks, no insurance
Friendly, hardworking coworkers and fast paced environment
Barista-Server (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 20, 2017
I loved working for Dunn Brothers Coffee. I was kept happily busy with friendly, hardworking coworkers. I was able to communicate to the management about issues and concerns, while also being trusted with confidential information.
Stress, stress, and more stress
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 20, 2017
Horrible place to work in my area. Owners and mangers have no organization. When managers go home employees slack off, act rude, and are unhelpful. They refuse to wear gloves while handling food, which is the worst of it all.
I can't wait to find a new job. This place has almost destroyed me mentally in 4 months. I was told 11.50 after tips. I get 9.75 after tips.
This place is really a joke some days.
Pros
80% discount on shift, 50% off shift on most items
Cons
Horrible co-workers, illnesses are spread
Nice if Secure
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 27, 2016
Dunn Brothers knowingly over hires for grand openings then cuts down hours of employees to have those employees resign. So if you are hired during a grand opening your chances for success drop. Also all Dunn brothers and owned by franchisees. Meaning your boss will be around a fair amount and corporate is less involved. If you do not like that boss you have very little success for improvment. Depending on how generous that boss is will determine everything, dress code, break, food discounts.
Pros
Regulars
Cons
Always changing, owned by franchisers
Loved my experience here
Shift Supervisor, Coffee Roaster (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, MNFebruary 3, 2015
The friendships I gained from both regular customers and coworkers will last a lifetime. This job was perfect for a college student because the schedule was very flexible. I learned a lot about coffee, management, and the food service/customer service industry. Hardest part of the job- only having 2 baristas working during rushes, running out of coffee or other products when short staffed, equipment breaking or malfunctioning, etc.
Most enjoyable part- it was fun, coworkers were all great and I enjoyed seeing the regulars everyday.
Great college job
Barista (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDDecember 2, 2014
I worked at Dunn Bros while going to school at Moorhead State. I made drinks for customers and then performed closing duties like cleaning and closing and counting the register. I liked that the nights I worked fit into my schedule. I did not like working and closing by myself and how slow it would become at night, just because I did not feel challenged, or make many tips.
Pros
Great college job, free coffee
Cons
Working alone, slow at nights
Corporate is unorganized and in the stone age, franchise owners do whatever they want
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 12, 2014
For a barista, this company offers a grab-bag of situations. I've worked with everyone from the completely socially awkward and uninspired to the portentous snobby barista. None of which seem to care about the functionality or flow of their work place. I've never met an owner who actually cared about or had a passion for coffee. They just wanted to make money on the name and face of someone else's business. Many have not set appropriate standards for their businesses. Some none at all. There are however a handful of really amazing owners that do their own thing and make it an awesome experience. They have no training standards at all throughout the company and most often are left with chaos and inconsistency throughout. Example: Some baristas know how to make drinks and know all the recipes, some of them don't. Some stores encourage their baristas to use micro foam and latte art. Some stores go the Dunn Bros standard of middle of the road foam. All in all unless you are good at handling chaos and stress all the time, I don't recommend it. If you care about coffee, work at a smaller specialty store.
Pros
1 free pound of coffee a week
Cons
No breaks, No healthy food, chaos, bad owners and bag management.
Fun
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MNNovember 18, 2013
Fun group of employees, laid back atmosphere, great regular customers
Shift Lead Barista
Shift Lead Barista (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNAugust 16, 2013
Opening and closing up the coffee shop. I learned a lot about the local culture. I met a lot of fun people while working at this coffee shop. My co-workers were always fun to be around and always very dedicated to their job. The hardest part of the job was running out of product, or changing product and having upset customers. The most enjoyable part of my job was the atmosphere.
Pros
Great enviornement
Cons
minimum wage to start out with, + tips
Average work place.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, MNJuly 3, 2013
open up the store, greet customers and fill orders, i learned how to roast coffee beans. The management was sub-par and the co-workers were ok. The hardest part were the hours but the most enjoyable part were the customers.
a job thats more for collage person
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNFebruary 6, 2013
A fair place to work.Very easy going more for a collage person
Pros
free meal 1lb of free coffee a mo
Cons
health bendfits