Durham County Government Employee Reviews

Cares about its employees and has opportunity for growth
Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 20, 2018
I am grateful for my job at Durham County. The atmosphere, the benefits and the close working relationships that are made make the work day a lot better. I have been afforded many opportunities for growth and do not take that lightly.
Pros
Location, Job Stability, Benefits
Cons
The need for employees to have a part-time job after hours
A great place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 28, 2018
You wouldn't think that local government would be a great place to work, but Durham County surprised me with that. They strive to keep their technology current and relevant. Management has been steadily improving over the past several years. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with all the changes that all the departments are wanting to complete each year. The most enjoyable was the sense that your work was helping the local community and improving government services.
Pros
Wide range of experience is open to you here
Cons
Salary is lower than at a business, but the job is more stable.
Child Support Agent II (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 8, 2018
The caseload requirements are high and stressful. However the flexibility and benefits are awesome. I never have a hard time getting days off when needed. Most holidays are observed.
Pros
Flex schedule, family friendly, very supportive organization
Cons
Advancement is often hard as they like to hire from outside and not within.
Stable Work Environment with Good Benefits
Social Worker II (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 3, 2018
I have worked for Durham County DSS for 11 years. I have had a pretty decent experience working for the county. The benefits are great and the environment is family friendly. All holidays are paid and the county offers job security. I would recommend Durham County DSS for anyone who genuinely cares about the welfare of the residents in Durham, NC and for anyone desiring job security. The pay isn't the best but it's not the worse.
Pros
Paid Holidays
A fair and positive place to work
Social Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 30, 2018
A typical day is not too stressful, a lot of paperwork (online). As a caseworker you see a few clients a week. Coworkers a good to work with as is the management.
Pros
Exercise opportunities during break hours
Cons
tedious work
Satisfying Call-Center Work
Processing Assistant / Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 2, 2018
Must be prepared to extend the best customer service to a variety of situations and personalities. High call volume. A typical day includes, answering phones, scheduling appointments, updating information, and providing status information.
Awesome
Revenue Reconciliation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 25, 2018
Great place to work. Benefits are great. Work culture is positive. They value their employees and is very progressive and the city continues to grow. Nice.
Durham is a great place to work
TAX ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Durham County, NCJune 14, 2018
This is a great place to work. They have taught me a lot of things and not only job related. The courses they offer helped in my job related areas and in my home life.
Enjoyable place to work
Human Resources Technician (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 6, 2018
I enjoy the work and the people that I work with. The benefits are great, to include working a flex schedule. However there is not much room for advancement and budget constraints limit what departments can do.
Pros
Flexible schedule, work/life balance
Cons
lack of advancement opportunities, limited funding
very busy
Processing Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 22, 2018
is good place to work. Very busy and it could be stress full. It also depends on your supervisor. It has good benefits. the pay rate it could be a little low for the amount of work done.
Terrible Management
Child Welfare Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 20, 2018
Management do not support their staff. I believe that before Supervisors are considered for a Leadership position, management should feel that they can manage people. I believe supervisors should get in the trenches with their team is in them. A team is only as good as their leader, and the one I had is not a leader at all. I watch supervisors sit on their phones and facebook their friends and push you back to come staff cases with them later. I would not recommend anyone new to the field of CPS history to go to Durham, because they have the atmosphere where you are expected to know everything and ask your supervisor very little.
Pros
40 Hours of Free Time
Cons
Supervisors SUCK
I enjoy working for DSS
Social Worker II (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 10, 2018
I like working for DSS. I have been employed here for over 5 years and have little complaints about the work preformed and the agency. You have to have compassion for the public to be a Social Worker
Great supervisor
Intern (Former Employee) –  Durham County, NCApril 4, 2018
My experience working at DSS was pleasurable. I had an amazing supervisor who was willing to listen to anything that I had to say. The culture was one where everyone helped each other.
Pros
Non-judgmental staff
Cons
parking
Great place to work if you enjoyed high school
Income Maintenence Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 8, 2018
The pay does not equal to all of the job responsibilities and expectations. The managers are very unprofessional. This place like most human services jobs is full of gossip and insecure women who instead of building people up, they tear them down.
Pros
Hour lunch, benefits
Cons
Unprofessional environment and unprofessional staff and upper management, gossip
Stable job & great benefits
Income Maintenance Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 28, 2018
Stable job with great benefits. Somehow stressful. One hour lunch. High turnover. Good managers and. great co-workers. Great location and nice building.
Benefits
Cons
Salary
Benefits
Senior Child Support Agent (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 25, 2018
Durham County have good medical benefits for their employees. Also flex days which are a added bonus. Also you only work 75 hours every two weeks instead of 80 hours.
easy
Deputy (Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 16, 2018
The county government is a laid back environment. longevity promotion process. If you get pass human resources your home free they have a extreme elimination process .
Durham County
General Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 1, 2018
I was able to learning a lot at the Durham County area and all the hard work that I have accomplish in the area. The management was the best I was apart of that I was able to do this job two time in a row which was rare
Pros
Lunch time at any place in the area of Durham, and the leave time.
Cons
Outside work, so early hour in the morning before the sun rise.
Awesome
Maintenance Technician I (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 2, 2018
Would recommend again. This was a awesome place to work and the atmosphere was great. I have learned alot since being there and I hope that this helps the next person.
clock watcher
Senior Web Applications (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 24, 2017
The upward mobility is not what was advertised when I started. At times, experience goes unrecognized or appreciated. Shift operators are often left without key information in regards to abnormal conditions they are responsible for.