Durham School Services Employee Reviews

Good Company
School Bus Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Ottumwa, IASeptember 17, 2018
Depending on GM you can have an awesome workplace. Where I worked we did have a union that was small but a bit mid level on presence. Can't speak for company policies on pay since our pay was union contract but for what it was it was decent. Best advice don't let a union contract screw employees in the long run and potentially cause new drivers not to come in.

I will say this company has a very good training program! Seriously I've worked with a few transportation companies and these guys are on the ball.
great job
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 16, 2018
if u would rather make money fast and not have to do a lot to get it school bus driving is for you …. only bad part of your day would be if you happen to have a bad kid you cant manger but they will help you get the child off your bus or have parent meetings to let them know what they kids are doing
great place
School Bus Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IASeptember 14, 2018
great place to work friendly people, knowledgeable coworkers. get lots in door, and out door work...…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...
Durham School Services
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 13, 2018
It was a relaxed atmosphere, small department, we all had our jobs to do and we did them very efficently. Each Driver had there own duties to perforn, pretrip, Zonar check as long as these were performed correctly we had very little contact from the bosses, we had to stay current on our state and federal guide lines which the company provided for us.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, good hard working people
Cons
They had benefits, we had to pay for any benefits offered
Overall the job is great. Love the drivers
Tech. II, Accident (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 12, 2018
The overall experiences at Durham is lovely. Love the pace of getting the equipment up and running for rollout each and every morning. Most of problems are all the same but still interesting
Pros
Unlimited hours to work
Cons
No union, job could be ended at anytime
Nothing to report
Class B CDL w/ Airbrake Endorsement & Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, MISeptember 12, 2018
There is nothing to report what i learned was to be a even better driver behind the wheel. Management was so-so the work culture was politics and cut throat at times. the hardest part the unnecessary pressure from corporate and office. I enjoy the students and driving...
Pros
enjoyed the kids and driving
Cons
Poor management with emploees
Fun workplace working with children and young adults, so many different personalities.
Bus Aide (Former Employee) –  Natchitoches, LASeptember 10, 2018
Safety for you the children and the bus driver is always first. By the first week I knew who all of my children names who loaded the bus to and from school. I had seating charts and rules for the children during the course of the route.
Very busy fast passed a lot of stress and not compensated for taking on another position
driver (Current Employee) –  York, PASeptember 9, 2018
Medical Insurance is taken out weekly and is very expensive and does not cover much.

Must cover runs when drivers call off.

First respond to all accidents and incidents.
File reports to insurance company.
Pros
reduced hours in the summer
Cons
Can only take vacation is the summer. Long hours. stressful.
Worderful employees
Bus Driver (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Algonquin, ILSeptember 9, 2018
Wonderful company to work for. Management really tries to look out for its employees. Fun and mostly stress free environment. Coworkers are like a family.
Pros
Summers, holidays, and weekends off.
Cons
Only part-time
Unique place of employment
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Crowley, TXSeptember 7, 2018
Being hired by Durham was a new experience for me, as I'd never driven a school bus. My supervisors were professional and knowledgeable. However, there existed a degree of favoritism when assigning extra work. The kids were a surprise. Most of the kids lived in low income housing and possessed attitudes that was reflected. Primary goal, safe transport to and from school. I developed a higher degree of patience. The best part of the job was gaining the trust of the kids. The worst part was the disrespect learned from home of some students.
Pros
Picking up extra runs.
Cons
Favoritism shown toward longer employed drivers.
A wonderful job to have
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IASeptember 6, 2018
I come in say hello to everyone, joke with my co worker, pre trip my bus, check the bus out from inside and outside, I learned how to pre trip a bus, how to drive a bus, got my CDL, Ther culture there was a lay back atmosphere and long as you do what you were suppose to do then you had no problem, everybody got along with everyone, there was no hard part, the most enjoyable part of driving the bus was driving the bus,
Pros
Learning how to drive a bus and getting your CDL
Cons
Not enough hours for work
Fast paced job
Transportation Router (Current Employee) –  Elizabethtown, PASeptember 6, 2018
Fast paced and continual change from day to day.
If you like driving students and working part time this is a good job. Adminstratively the environment is stressful and constantly changes from day to day.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
High Stress
I would take children to and from school safely daily during school days.
Taking children to and from school. (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IASeptember 6, 2018
Getting children to and from school safely; I enjoyed working with special needs. I enjoyed driving the school bus, because I love children and enjoy being around them, and helping them to and from school safe was my job.
Pros
We were off during part of the day
Cons
Healthcare
Transported students and staff safely to and from school events
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 5, 2018
Conflict management skills applied when necessary, explaining emergency evacuation procedures if bus got into an accident, drove bus safely following all rules of the road.
Okay
School bus driver - special needs children (Current Employee) –  Little Egg Harbor, NJSeptember 5, 2018
the work is steady, you get your own route, your coworkers are extremely nice. Most buses had no air conditioning, however just received 15 new buses. Safety is top priority which is the biggest plus
Pros
Summer off
Cons
No benefits are paid
Very nice people to work with
School Bus Driver (part-time) (Former Employee) –  MileaukeeSeptember 4, 2018
A very good company to work for time off in the summer time just not enough hours during the winter months very understanding to be off of work for personal reasons or time needed to be adjusted for personal reasons they were very good with that and very well respected
Pros
Plenty of lunches for free
Cons
Break time sometimes
Ehh
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAAugust 28, 2018
I left this company because they had favorites and I was not having it at al. I decided to go somewhere else to apply and work at. This company is no longer in my book.
best place to work
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXAugust 27, 2018
they care about employee , paid vacation ,sick days, overtime available best place to work good hours and they helped with child care if needed lovely place to work
Pros
paid sick time
Fun and enjoyable place to work
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Madison, MSAugust 27, 2018
The job is pretty much laid back but can get a little stressful dealing with and trying to get the students safely to and from school. And still be able to focus on your driving as well.
Bus Driver
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAAugust 25, 2018
I drove students to and from their houses to school. The culture shock was the dealing with the special needs of my group of students. The most enjoyable part of the job was the working air conditioning.
Pros
5 hour rule
Cons
union taxes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Durham School Services. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about