Durham School Services Employee Reviews

Found 1,015 reviews matching the search See all 1,017 reviews
Very slow pace and not enough hours or pay salary
School bus driver (Former Employee) –  Calabasas, CANovember 10, 2018
Typical day was slow pace. I enjoyed being a driver for the company. I learned a lot with this position which allowed me to be where I am today. The company should increase the salary for the drivers.
Pros
Not stressful
Cons
Low pay salary and hours
Good part time job
Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IANovember 8, 2018
Split shift, Work a few hours in the moring followed by a few hours in the evening. Work flows with the school schedules getting in and out of classes. Practices saftey and takes saftey very seriously
Pros
Safe, Split Shift, Good Hourly Pay
Cons
Lack of hours for new people
No longer here
School Bus Driver/Trainer/3rd Party DMV Examiner (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 8, 2018
Durham was a good bus company but they are no longer here. They were replaced by HM Dunn, and they aren't very apt to hire on full time employees. Therefore i don't recommend them.
Great place to work if you have kids
Class B CDL Cover Driver (Former Employee) –  Stratford, CTNovember 8, 2018
Decent pay for the kind of job you do and they are very flexible if you have kids of your own. You have enough time through out the day to get your everyday life tasks done in between shifts. Extra work is available but the company does have slow seasons.
💖 my kids on the route but the office staff 😭😣😢
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 7, 2018
I am still a employee at Durham even tho the management is terrible 21 years ago when i came to this company we were taught pupil management skills and i have carried it with me my point is the now management at carson yard needs people management skills but the only reason i am still employed is I 💖 MY KIDS ON THE BUS
Pros
I 💖 my kids
Cons
Managment is very bad with there employees
You could not trust anyone!
Head Router / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MI 48198November 7, 2018
I was treated very badly! They had me sub drive a school bus and do a split shift. There was no time to do my work in the office. They would have a driver do it for me while they forced me on a long lunch so I could drive again in the afternoon. It was very stressful. Drivers would come to me and tell me to watch my back. The one supervisor would physically poke me hard while I was on the phone with a parent so I could put them on hold and help her!
Cons
I like working with the kids
Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Trumbull, CTNovember 4, 2018
Durham is a good company to start with working part time but there is no room for advancement unless you want to be a driver. Most positions are part time.
Pros
Good starting pay
Cons
Limited hours
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 2, 2018
The company truly cares about the employees. They are safety centered and provide good customer service. They train all new drivers for this wonderful position working with children.
Pros
Child ride along program
Cons
Not year round or full time
Not enough drivers for work load
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  East Haven, CTOctober 30, 2018
Drivers are always covering runs and given extra work on top of their own run. Bosses are accommodating and work with employees but corporate micromanagement interferes with everyday operations for the worst.
Pros
free coffee, bring your kids to work, work with kids
Cons
long breaks, part-time, cameras on you 24-7, with driver coaching with short stops and ect.
A ok place for employment
School bus driver (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CAOctober 29, 2018
Great people flexible hours same daily routine ok pay definitly need work on managment but will definatly be a great place to start a career they have great trainers take there time to make sure you pass your test.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Early start
Ok in some ways Bad in Others
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 28, 2018
Wasnt a bad employer but had cheap buses and went thru Mechanics and Managers like they were Kleenex, contracted work that couldnt make a living off of
Pros
Easy Going, Good Dispatcher, Great Fellow Employees
Cons
Too High of a Turnover of Mechanics, Cheap Buses, Contract work
poor upper management
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutOctober 26, 2018
They hire new drivers and replace the older long term experienced drivers with no bad reports ,installed driver cams to watch the driver and fire drivers if they under perform, citing safety.but demands and does not pay for work performed .changing pay .all using electronic means to screw you out of time worked and more .changes always .stressful,always covering missing employees who do not come to work .company does not back up the drivers ,its always the drivers fault .students and parents and schools ok .buses brake down do to over budgets. company just needs a person for a seat to drive like a robot .do not care if you have problems on your route will tell you suck it up .to sum it up this company puts all blame and responsibility on its drivers and management watches the numbers .runs cold buses in winter,treats new drivers better than old just to keep them .10 years ago it was a great place to work for .but every year it gets worse .if you are a other bus company please do not follow this company's practices .they are also sometimes rude to the customers.
Pros
summers off
Cons
two many
Not a bad place to work at all
Maintenace Administrator (Current Employee) –  IllinoisOctober 26, 2018
You come in and do your job and then go home. Not overly stressful at all. Co-workers are very friendly and helpful.

Both the Operations team and Shop team work together like a family.
Pros
Very often the branch manager will buy lunch or bring in ice cream on Fridays.
Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Natchitoches, LAOctober 25, 2018
I enjoyed my time there contract expired.Management was great and there were promotions available .The training programs was excellent. There was a team concept. I was also a third party tester for the state of Louisiana.
Cons
Pay
Great group of people to work around
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 20, 2018
Very exciting job. I love picking up the kids everyday and dropping them off at school and taking them home. It was a pleasure to get to learn them and know them
Pros
Alot of days off
Cons
Part time work
Very unorganized and poorly managed
Bus driver full time (Former Employee) –  Near Rochester nyOctober 19, 2018
Very inflexible for time off. Also zero tolerance for cell phones
Had to pick up new students needed gps for directltions touches phone for safety and is terminated no appeal

Preach safety and the reward is no longer dollars
A heavy jacket is rewarded and was too warm to wear in bus

Poorly managed from top to bottom and compensation was far less than school districts

Terrible equipment always breaking down

Stay away
Pros
Free donuts once a month
Cons
Listed above
Very laidback
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 19, 2018
Love picking the kids up the kids are very respectful the job shows appreciation the coworkers are nice the manager has a good understanding you off the whole summer Christmas thanksgiving
Pros
Off the summer
Cons
Really no cons
Productive but fun work place
Payroll Coordinator/HR Asst (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOOctober 18, 2018
Over all the job was great, It gave me another job skill that I can use going forward. For that, I will always be grateful for management for giving me a opportunity!
Pros
Retirement Benefits and Salary
Cons
Closed for business
Good work place
Driver/ technician (Former Employee) –  Fairview, PAOctober 16, 2018
Great job loved it the manager was poor and did not care about her employees the only bad part about the job was being off in the summer time and the snow in the winter
Pros
Paid summer vacation
Cons
Not enough trust in there drivers
School Bus Driver
Professional Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 14, 2018
A typical day starts at 0530 and may end at around 1730. There is typically a break between the morning shift and the afternoon shift driving students from their homes to school and back. There is opportunity to work additional hours during the week. When the students are not in school then you do not work. You are not paid for any time that you are not driving a school bus.
Pros
Great hours and pay for part-time work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Durham School Services. Our community is ready to answer.