Durham School Services Employee Reviews

Found 1,062 reviews matching the search See all 1,064 reviews
Manager was not manager but play to many politic and did not back up the driver to the corporate!!!
Special Needs School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAJanuary 17, 2019
They got sued for cheating their employees out of due payments over the years &buses not in good condition & over price benefits to apply for !!!! The company basically cares about itself & not the employees or the clients ( the parents & the students)
The job had its challenges every day you would work at it to make everything to operate as smooth and safe as possible.
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2019
I worked at a number of different locations in a number of states. it was fun meeting different people and helping with the problems they were having. And working together to solve those problems together. The constant online training that Durham had to offer. To help you with employee communication and computer skills. Management they have a great team in place. Its all about the safe transportation of children. The hardest part is coordinating all billing and transportation needs. At the end of the day when all areas maintenance and operations ran smoothly. The satisfaction of everything working together made it all worth it.
Pros
Lunches and cook outs
Cons
Lots of reporting and paper work
No job security advancements
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Little Egg Harbor, NJJanuary 16, 2019
Durham is a poor place to work. Management is poor, No vacation pay, No sick time pay, Transportation is always breaking down. Not a friendly atmosphere at all.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Health care vacation and sick time
Run
Monitor (Former Employee) –  Goshen, NYJanuary 15, 2019
Run! Poor communication skills of the supervisor who does not hesitate to lie, is extremely unorganized, is dismissive and talks down to you... if you can get passed all that it might be a decent place to work.
great job
Durham school bus driver (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJanuary 15, 2019
this company was the best driving job i had, pay was not so great but it was sometimes a joy to go to work great management staff i love the student yes
Pros
good break
Cons
the pay
Setup for Failure
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJanuary 13, 2019
I am writing this review for mechanics that needs to know what they are getting into. With 80 buses, 9 lots, 2 road mechanics and 3 shop mechanics, most of the time I only had 2 shop mechanics. The shop is an old warehouse, very cold in the winter and extremely hot in the summer. The mechanics there have very little knowledge on how to diagnose diesel engines or electrical issues. If you are looking for a place that will train you--find it elsewhere!! If you are a seasoned mechanic they will pay you peanuts and over work you. The Bridge run and SCDOT inspections are mandatory work days. If you apply and interview with an old guy, RUN! He paints a pretty picture, just make sure you get everything in writing on your offer letter. $18 an hr is the max I saw. Management here is to get the most out of you in return for a few extra peanuts. Just saying, think twice before you take a job here, it was the worse job I have ever had, so I moved on.
Pros
Cons
Over worked, under paid, poor management, no training
Great place to work.
SCHOOL BUS DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJanuary 10, 2019
Durham is a friendly, family environment. The trainers were outstanding, they would be available whenever you needed extra help. The routers were accommodating and the dispatch department were amazing and approachable. The payroll department would make corrections immediately, if needed.
Pros
Had many potlucks and food often provided
Cons
Learning the routes.
I didn't like it
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CT 06067January 10, 2019
That job was the worst job I ever had. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone. Especially now the company has gone really down hill since there is a new Supervisor.
Cons
Some of the management team so favoritisms with friends of new and old workers.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Canton, MSJanuary 6, 2019
I like the job because it is balanced between school and work for my children. I am able to attend my children school events. GM is fair and understanding no matter what position you hold. He will examine and the situation and make a fair and professional decision.
Pros
Schedule, understanding and fair GM about any problem you notify him about
Cons
Favoritisms from old management team and petty mess.
Stressful job
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Wolfforth, TXJanuary 2, 2019
The job is good if your a retiree but if your trying to make a career and a living look elsewhere. The stress of the children acting up as you drive is very distracting and when you report the behavior 9/10 nothing is done about it from the school district
Pros
More time with family
Cons
Stress and pay isn’t good not enough hours
Relaxed atmosphere
School Bus Aide (Current Employee) –  Hudson, OHJanuary 2, 2019
A typical day is being assigned a bus to monitor.
Hardest part of job is when children do not follow the standard rules.
It is enjoyable when the students tell me that they like that I am their bus aide.
Interesting
Employee (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 1, 2019
This is the type of job that allows for plenty of promotion opportunity. The people can be great and they can be trying also. Stick to the job and the best will overcome the bad.
Pros
time off
Cons
time working
Durham is a good place to work.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WADecember 28, 2018
good environment. Nice people. Picked up students before and after school and delivered them to their homes. Picked up special events programs such as sports, gymnastics groups, debate and musical groups for special trips and charters.
Pros
great environment
Cons
sparatic work times
fun workplace
school bus driver (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 26, 2018
Driving a school bus was a great experience for me. I earn my CDL B. this job made me want to move forward with driving trucks. I really love the children that I was transporting.
Pros
breaks in between routes
Cons
Reasonable place to work and a better management
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 25, 2018
Durham school Services was a better place to work for than Apple bus company. The management was fair listened and handled all issues that came across their desk. I wish Durham school Services never lost their contract out to Apple bus company I would rather work for Durham school Services another 10 years then work for Apple bus company the little time that I did.
Pros
Start up meeting, end-of-year banquet, holidays, trips, fun times
ok
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Raymond, MSDecember 23, 2018
The work is not all that bad. They could back up their drivers more when it comes to student management and offer paid vacations for the time schools are closed for holidays and breaks.
Pros
work solo
Cons
poor managemet
Worthless
Driver (Former Employee) –  Raymond, MSDecember 21, 2018
The job is not hard at all. Management don’t have your back at all. They don’t care for there driver. They will cut your hours for anything especially if you disagree with them at all. They show favoritism to certain driver. Rules don’t apply to certain driver. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. I would recommend going to another location this location is the worst I have ever been. They make it sounds good to get you in the door.
Pros
Get a break during the day.
Cons
Management dont care.
work
Student Transportation (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NHDecember 20, 2018
I will honestly say the only thing about the job that I like is working with the kids. You do not have a boss looking over your shoulder all day. We do have a company computer type thing on board, that tracks you all day
Pros
they will train
Cons
computer tracking you every move
not a good job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Wolfforth, TXDecember 16, 2018
The company in general does not care about the employees. All they see is dollar signs and making their own pockets bigger. The only perk is getting to be around and help kids.
Fun work place
Student Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 15, 2018
Inspection of my vehice. New routes for the students and if they needed special attention. Management was not so good. They were often slow about helping drivers advance. The hardest part of the job was the weather.The most enjoyable part was seening the children come to the bus happy.
Pros
They provided protective gear w/o static.
Cons
Lack of machanics

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Durham School Services. Our community is ready to answer.