Durham School Services

Durham School Services Employee Reviews

United States1,522 reviews
Found 1,522 reviews matching the search
I like working for the bus services if you have small school-age children and you want to be home when they are home its a perfect job. The money is ok
Pros
Off holidays and weekend
Cons
no advancement
This is a place of every day changes, be ready for chaos and be willing to adhere. It's a great place to be part of something bigger. The staff on all levels are amazing, patient and kind!
Pros
Home early
Cons
No benefits
It’s a part time job. Not enough money to be made it. Good for was retired and want to keep working. They will help to have a cdl b. Some buses doesn’t have ac
Pros
Some kids are really nice
Cons
Part time job
In general, managers at Durham School Services are caring & try their best to accommodate your needs. The atmosphere is cool & calm family like. People Mind their own business & the pay is fair for the time you work. Good job for any situation, wether your in school or just enjoy off time. Manager is flexable & understanding. Would refer this company to must people whom don"t mind spending time with children or Young adults.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Very good place to work company takes car of their workers .clean everybody is willing to help each other out. Supervisor and management has a open door policy.
Pros
Free lunches free training
Cons
Durham is a good place to work, it's competitive whit other bus companies, and you can grow in the company and relocate if you like and they are family oriented...
Overall
amazing company can transfer to other states and offer training for new bus aids. Ability to grow in company and raise depend on contracts. But it was a fun place
This was a stressful company to work for, every senior driver down to the management micro manages new people, the manager/payroll guy tries to short changes your pay, the payroll app the management tries to get you to use is a real pain to use and sometimes doesn't even work with some banks. The senior drivers kept grabbing my hair for some reason (what is this kindergarten), if an issue with the kids start then it's instantly the drivers fault and management wont help at all. The equipment is ALWAYS breaking down (their not maintained regularly), I drove special needs bus and I had a check engine light and the windshield defroster barely worked throughout my time there.
Pros
Some of the drivers are nice people, great place to get your licence
Cons
Senior drivers harassed me regularly, management micro manages you regularly, equipment is barely legal, poor pay
Very congenial working environment. I think the pay scale is good. The management and office staff always do their best to work with employees on emergency time off or sick days, etc.
The managers don’t help you they pick favorites and expect you to do your job perfectly along with 20 others as well. They can never keep employees because they treat everyone like they don’t matter. I worked at the minetto base and it was the worst buses breaking down everyday scrambling to find you a bus that wasn’t cobb jobbed which is very few there. The only thing I enjoyed about working there was bonding with the kids on my bus.
I loved my job and my students. Hated the fact it was only part time 9months a year. Working with Special Needs kids make me a better person. My direct boss wasn’t amazing, but we had a decent working relationship.
Pros
Split schedule
Cons
Split schedule, part time.
Eastlake branch was horrible people talk about you behind your back. Management cheats you out of money and probably pocketed the years increase they were suppose to pay me horrible experience all the way around and benefits were terrible.
Pros
Home early
Cons
Everything else
● Overall
They can do better for their drivers. I feel like we don’t get enough credit for what we do. We cover routes. We take extra routes to help them out. We go out of our way to help dispatch.
Working for Durham School Services is about working with a team of great qualified professionals who go above and beyond. Not only is this team a successful team but the learning experience was amazing.
This is a great family orientated company you will feel like your at how everyone is so friendly very helpful and everyone get alone it’s a great paying job
Good pay. Good people for a good cause but only part time. The big concern right now is very little protection for employees and students/clients in this covid19 crisis. Benefits not really fit for a family. More for individual.
Pros
Decent pay for part rime, and cdl B gained
Cons
Part time, medium stress if unfamiliar
Very good job environment, fun, impactful. They also pay for your class B commercial drivers license in full and also train you free with the use of their equipment.
Pros
Class B driver’s license free
Cons
Inclement weather
It was a good place to work. I drove special needs with a usual route. My aide worked well with me and for the most part it was a pleasant experience.
Pros
Pay, Time off
Cons
Split shifts
At the time I applied they was paying for you to get your cdl with three different checks funny thing was a few of us passed and only two checks was issued and the guarantee hours was not given on any pay checks.
Pros
Cons
Long breaks
First shift, home everyday, good pay, holidays off. Summer vacations.
The kids are super fun. The routes are easy, with free gas refills.

The team effort has been great, I have made a ton of new friends. The company is based out of Illinois, the staff and management here, are bright, educated, and truly lead by example. Stepping forward to problem solve and get the job done attitude. Just a wonder group of folks.

The weather would be the only hard thing about my day. Some days it's hot, some days cold and some days it rains.
Pros
Free gas
Cons
Weather
● Work-life balance
This could be a great place to work if some changes were made. The drivers are never backed by the company. They have a rotating door when it comes to drivers. If you are in training to be a new driver, it is because you are someone's replacement. This location is the 2nd lowest paying in the valley. Drivers get little to no help with buses carrying up to 50 students on multiple tier runs. It takes weeks or months for disciplinary action to be taken or to be addressed. It can be dangerous to drive certain schools. There have been stabbings and fights on multiple routes at this location. Managment has nepotism issues; families are in management and create a hostile environment if a relative is questioned about behavior or safety. No real job security and no advancement. It is a non-union yard and probably would be better if a strong union came in to help employees fight management for rights they should have under labor laws. Promotion is based on whether or not you are "friends" with management and not based on ability or knowledge.

● Pay & benefits

The insurance is not great only slightly better than state insurance. The insurance company provides policies to companies with high turn over. (This yard definitely has high turn over)

● Job security and advancement

Once you are finished with employee training you are basically done. They do not have monthly safety meeting and do not recognize drivers who are safe drivers or exceed safety standards. This yard is ranked the 3rd worst in the company district wide for following safety procedures and
 - more...