Durham School Services Employee Reviews

Laid back great place to work
Assisting children (Current Employee) –  North Providence, RIApril 17, 2018
It's a great place and great people. Management team puts their best foot first in serving their employees. Its a great job for a mom that has small children.
Pros
Relaxed it's great for a mom with small children
Cons
the pay
Bad place to work
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 17, 2018
Festival the management are very unprofessional, coworkers are the worst people ever.
Only thing that I like it was interact with kids and driving a bus.
Pros
Cons
management and coworkers
Was a great place to work until they brought in new management
Driver (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 17, 2018
The current management treats the employees like children. Everyday there is a new rule or a change to a rule. The dispatch office comes up with new rules and regulations, yet you ask someone to clarify and you get a completely different answer. There is also a lot of attitude from one particular person on the radio. Not to mention field trips are not awarded fairly, if you are a favorite person you will get a lot of field trips if you are not you will get a few here and there. If there is question on a new rule, the answer is always it is federal law or it is corporate policy yet other branches do not follow.
If the current management changes it could be a better place to work, but would not recommend it at this time.
Pros
Working with kids.
Cons
Short hours, snow days no pay, no pto days, health care not great.
Look elsewhere
Driver to management (Former Employee) –  Washington StateApril 13, 2018
After working for 3 different bus companies in over 25 years look out for Durham. Company was sold over 10 years ago and it's gone down hill. It's a big corporation now and they take short cuts when it comes to caring for their employees. Benefits are NOT good. No intensives after any hire on bonus. They are a contractor so don't get same benefits as working directly for a school district. You are not a public employee so no state perks. They are safe and evaluate their drivers 3 times a year. You will probably get a route sooner than at a school district but beware. Some great employees work here but, there are great employees everywhere in the school bus industry.
Pros
possible extra work over summer and field trips or take off time, safety is important
Cons
lower pay, bad benefits, hours not guaranteed, new management
Good place to work.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Andover, KSApril 12, 2018
Semi-retired and working part time. Great for me. Must always keep in mind that you are transporting very precious cargo. To students you are the first person they see in the morning and the last person they see before they get home. A very satisfying job.
Durham school services is a great place to work
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  San Carlos, CAApril 11, 2018
You have a chance to actually spend more time with your family by being able to work a school schedule the pay though is way to low for the cost of living in the Bay Area Average rent right now is around 2500 to around 4000 a month. You will bring home around 2300 a month so you may be able to find a place to live but if you want a car or want to buy groceries you won’t be able to. It’s the honest day to day struggle living in the Bay Area
Pros
Swing your family. Easy job easy money great co workers and kids and parents you see every day
Cons
Don’t. Expect to be eating steak and lobster more like beans and rice
More of a laid back position, there were plenty of job related tasks to keep me busy
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Burnsville, MNApril 11, 2018
In service, we often were here before routes doing repairs as needed before routes, then during the mid day there was a fair share of tasks to keep us busy. It is repetitive work for the most part, but still rewarding
Pros
flexible schedule
Great Part-time Job
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 8, 2018
I liked having the long break between the morning route and afternoon route. It allowed you to take care of home stuff and appointments and pay bills. I also liked getting paid weekly.
Pros
Short time to deal with the kids, Long break between routes, Off work when your kids are off school, Paid weekly
Cons
Dealing with some of the kids and their parents, Health Insurance is not very good
excellent work place
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  bus driverApril 7, 2018
wonderful team work skills,always exciting work,always events to do for extra work,weekends off,holidays off,managers are awesome,alot of benefits,great work schedule
Greeting and interacting with the students was the best part of the job .
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Jefferson Hills, PAApril 6, 2018
Daily greeting and interaction with the students was the best part of the job . The students came from all back grounds and incomes . The bus driver and bus monitors really care about the students .
Fun and exciting
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 4, 2018
Famiy oriented people very professional always willingto help you if you dont understand how your route goes guiding you threw every stop a great place to make a career i would recomend to firends and family.
Pros
Downtime in between routes .summer vaction, sign-on bonus.
Cons
Short trem breaks, unpaid summer school break.
wonderful place to work
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 2, 2018
This is a great place to work if you have little ones and can live on a guaranteed 20 hours at least job. The management was wonderful and its great to do if you like kids.
Pros
Off work whenever kids are not in school
Cons
only 20 hours a week guaranteed
You get out of a job what you put in
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNMarch 30, 2018
Being a school bus driver, unfortunately, is a part time seasonal job. It's also hard driving safely with kids on board. This job is not for everyone. Management depends on where you are at. My GM is great, he cares and listens and understands. Being safe is first priority. I work with great people, but like everywhere there are some people that don't care, rude and just plain not good employees.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No help from school district with discipline
Awesome people to be around
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Calabasas, CAMarch 30, 2018
A great place to work enjoyable people understanding management flexible wears extra work available pretty great company.I love the Gm she's my favorite we had so much to share she truly understood my life and my children's life .
Not fun, poor working conditions, poor management
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 29, 2018
they don't care about their employees.It's all about the money for them.

They play favorites.Poor working conditions.The bus yard is dangerous.Child management is overworked
Pros
Summer off
Cons
Health care insurance terrible
Small company bought by larger company
Special needs School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NHMarch 29, 2018
Another example of transitioning from a small company to a conglomerate, foregoing safety of the drivers in order to save a few dollars.. Also more of a checking of boxes than focusing on safety. Growing pains can drive employees away.
Pros
buses kept at home
Cons
very low pay
productive and fun workplace
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 27, 2018
I love working for this company because it gives me a sense of purpose. I feel like by me providing my friendly ride to the students I am making a change in the community.
Durham School Service, needs to make room for change.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Justin TXMarch 26, 2018
With all of the issues, with this company. The lack of higher wages. And no room to advance. No wonder the company's is losing contacts after, after contacts.
Pros
You get unemployment
Cons
But twc give a person hard time to apply.
Safety First Team Work 24/7
Bus monitor (Current Employee) –  Holyoke, MAMarch 24, 2018
Excellent work place . I've work here for 12 / 13 year's. I like my job and my coworkers. We all work as a team and our main concern is The Safety Of All Our Students We Transport From home to school and school to home.
Fun
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 23, 2018
Workers nice. Kids will be kids. Typical day is busy. I learned to keep calm kids will be kids. Checks were big. Most enjoyable part was knowing I got to go home

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Durham School Services. Our community is ready to answer.