Duty Free Americas Employee Reviews

It’s a job
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 9, 2019
Was scared to miss work here at one point till I knew my worth management was not good and belittle the employees no raises unless you applied for another job in the company and pay was very low I had to get a second gig
Pros
Benefits and networking
Cons
No raises
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 2, 2019
Negative place..no reviews..no raises..no appreciation or recognition. Modern day slavery..company not loyal, Hr / operations are the worst . No structure
Pros
Cons
High turnover, pay 8.50
productive
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 11, 2019
It gave me the ability to work doing many thinks at once getting good results ,also the opportunity to meet new brands and give me more knowledge of what I like to do.
Great and healthy work environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 3, 2019
Every one at DFA has the same mission, which is to please the customers. Being that most of our customers are international, I learned how to provide excellent customer while there is a language barrier. Learning little phrases that makes a customer smile is my favorite part of the Job.it is a great experience at DfA.
Pros
You get to see all corners of the world in one place.
Cons
It takes me 1 hour and 45 minutes to get there.
Good atmosphere
Store General Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 26, 2019
Its a good atmosphere to work in. The passengers are usually happy they're either coming home or going home or on vacation and you get a chance to work with very good associates and Managers
Pros
Good training
Cons
Salary
No fun no productive
Cashier/warehouse/customer service/ production (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 23, 2019
To lear a lot how to give customer service , how to work with hard people etc. You learn shipping and receving . Work on goals every they yo have time and money value on you hands .
Pros
Nothing iscfree
Great Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2019
They give you $30 for transportation which is good since the air train cost $40 for a monthly unlimited card. They have alot of product training programs that also has perks. You get double holiday pay but only on major holidays.
Pros
they give you $30 for transportation and comission
Cons
30 minute breaks
Horrible Management
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJanuary 3, 2019
The manager was very unprofessional, I was hired under false pretenses. Weeks after working I was told my job position and pay would be changing immediately without my control. There was no remorse or communication prior or after this incident. I felt retaliated against after I questioned the GM's actions so I left. Favoritism also shown to Hispanic workers.
Pros
Airport Environment
Cons
Management, Parking, Favortism
Boring
Luxury Brand Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 2, 2019
It was a terrible workplace unfair place and hard work with little money. Poor management and tries to put coworkers against one another for sales making us enemies and causing drama and rift.
No compassing for life outside work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ogdensburg, NYJanuary 2, 2019
I worked there for a few months, i really liked my job, but the place has no compassion for family issues beyond your control. Asked to have Tuesdays off but nope couldn't have it because you need to be available to work everyday. My husband is disabled and can't drive. So made all his appointments on Tuesdays. he was going every week since i started. But they felt the need to fire me over the phone, as far as i am concerned not very professional. if you have time on the books they don't pay you for it when they terminate you. hear every day that hours are going to get cut. i just don't think in my opinion that it is a very good place to work. People lazy and when they get a good worker they let them go. I wasn't there long enough to qualify for paid family medical leave. but i don't think the company offer it because there isn't enough workers in the place. when you clock in a few mins early from your break you get told that you can't do that. just not a very friendly place to work.
Pros
no pros
Cons
no compassion.
Duty free
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 2, 2018
Duty free was very challenging.. never done retail before.. but now I can sale anything I put my mind to... from liquor to Tabacoo. Even luxury items such as gucci, Michael kors, Cartier, and do on...
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
15, and 30mins
Stressful work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York StateNovember 13, 2018
Non professional and unskilled management, favoritisms, lack of advancement, often unsafe work requirements, minimum wage with no raises, minimal training
Pros
Employee discounts, 401k, paid vacation time
Cons
Unsafe and stressful work environment
Upper Management are the problem
LUXURY SALES SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Miami International Airport, FLNovember 7, 2018
Pay and comission is great. But upper management only looks the negative, gives warning that lasts 4 months and always harass or threatened employees. You have to have thick skin to work here. Espeically Leandro
Providing High End Sales
Liquor Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 4, 2018
A typical day consist of providing assistance to the Store Management in all aspects of the operation. Assessing the available products and restock as needed. Utilizing my skills to interact with the sales associates and the customers. A large part of my day consist of customer relations.

During my employment at Duty Free, I have learned how to operate the sales of high end luxury products and the needs of the high end customers.

The culture is fast-paced due to the airline flight schedules which usually allows you a 2 to 3 hour window to maximize sales.

The hardest part of the of the job is to find qualified high end sales associates to work in fast paced luxury environment.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to work interacting with the customers as well as the associates.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
breaks and healthcare
productive and fun environment
Sale Associate and Support/ Retail (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 22, 2018
Working at Duty Free is very productive because you get to learn things that will benefit your life personally and professionally. It is very competitive and it helps one to give the better of oneself everyday.
Fun workplace
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 10, 2018
Everything is neat and in order. Everything what will happen and will be done have proper guides and rules. yet is fun to interact with other coworkers and customers.
Enjoyed working here
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Alexandria Bay, NYOctober 9, 2018
Loved working here and met some great people! Although i was not trained properly i learned from others which was great to be part of a team. Management saw my strong leadership skills and used me as a trainer which helped boost company sales of company items for commissions
It’s ok company
Fragrance Beauty Advisor/Cashier/sales associate (Current Employee) –  Flushing, NYSeptember 27, 2018
Have to work holidays weekends get to learn a lot on frangrances cosmetics get trainings learn to work fast paced environment have to deal with a lot of delays
Pros
Discount
Cons
Short breaks standing a lot of hours
A good working atmosphere, with a feeling of customer satisfaction.
Store Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  Baudette, MNSeptember 23, 2018
Over the years that I worked at this company the workplace atmosphere and policies would change somewhat with each ownership change. The local store atmosphere would pretty much stay upbeat and positive but with each new owner policies would become challenging for management.
Excellent service to customers
Terminal Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 30, 2018
This in a unique experience for anyone in retail and customers. As that if they are purchasing "duty free" they do not leave with their purchase but have it delivered to their gate. This takes careful planning and organized system of communication. All members of the staff are important. No position is too small. Sales associate to sell the product,cashier to ring in the proper flight information, a supervisor or sr. sales associate to manage the flights and the runner to close the sale at the gate.
Pros
Extraordinary products and people
Cons
little to no training