Duty Free Americas Employee Reviews in Jamaica, NY

Learn new things and helpful management
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYDecember 20, 2017
I learn lots of things about customer services in here specially my manager and supervisors are very cooperative and very helpful with there staff and treat then very nicely.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks and healthcare
No creation involved
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYOctober 17, 2017
Fast paced usually. Immediate manager very pleasant. Late hours to commute in a not very nice area. No rotation of schedules. How to accept different types of currency.
Pros
Nothing was for free.
Cons
Short breaks . Insurance was not the best.
Knowledgable environment in handling cash and sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYAugust 23, 2017
A typical work day for a Sales Associate at Duty Free Americas was counting your cash float of $150 and starting to take sales on the register carefully. I've learned to manage cash efficiently without being over or short at the end of the day. The workplace environment was a good experience because you meet new people from all over the world at the airport. The hardest part of the job was dealing with rude and impatient customers but there were worries on my end because I let management handle the situation. The most enjoyable part of the job was trying to make as commission as possible at the end of the day.
Pros
The company was with the union.
Cons
We would have to stay late if there were any call-outs of employees.
Would not recommebd DFA to anyone
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJune 29, 2017
Store Manager's position at Duty Free Americas was a great job.
However upper management was the cause of all the problems at this location.

The workplace culture was a nightmare. If upper management did not like you they made you like a nightmare even working 95 hrs every 2 weeks. While other managers who they favored did not even work the hours they were suppose to.

I could go on but I do not have anything nice to say about this company
Pros
Working with my co store manager.
Cons
General Manager
a really nice place to work.
Retail Sales Associate, L'Ocittane BA (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYDecember 23, 2015
Working at Duty Free America was an awesome experience for me I was able to grow and travel and meet people that have effected my life till this day. Management team were awesome leaders
Productive and fun place to work
Senior Sales (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYNovember 24, 2013
A learning experience everyday , meeting different people from different cultures,and backgrounds.
Pros
Improving my knowledge in dealing with the public as a customer service representative.
Cons
closing of the store.
Great company
SENIOR BEAUTY ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYOctober 9, 2013
My regular day at work was great because I look farward to go to work every day.I devoloped great customers service skills with a smile and a pleasent face.Management was great.I learn alot from management. The hardest part of my job was when I had a difficult customer,I try to give my best customer service and listen to their needs. My co-workers were part of my family because we spent most of our time work so we work as team player.The most enjoyable part of the job is that I reach new people every day help with that they are looking for or sugguest some thing new for gifts and thanks them welcome them to come back,
Pros
I had a opportunity to see many countries for training
Cons
short breaks
Selling watches, Jewelry, cosmetic products and gifts at an affordable prices, and taxes free for international Passengers.
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYSeptember 21, 2013
I work at the gift department at Duty Free Americas, JFK Airport. I Help the customers to find the kind of watches or gifts they're looking for. sometimes I translate in French for customers who doesn't understand English. I learned about the features of many watches. The company offer free training occasionally, I went to many training about watches, customer service. The management is good, the co-workers are friendly. The hardest part of the job is when a fly is delay the employees have to stay overnight to work. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I help a customer and I see he/she is very happy with the service I provided and the product that I help them to find. I am patient, kind and helpful. I always make the customer feel welcomed.
good company to work for
Stock -associate, full-time, Jamaica JFK N.Y (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYFebruary 1, 2013
good company to work for great people, you meet a lot of different people with a lot of personalities.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
bad pay