Duval County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Meets Expectations for a Teacher
TEACHER (Current Employee) –  FloridaJuly 29, 2018
In the world of teaching, DCPS is performing as expected in terms of employee satisfaction based on today's climate. A typical day for a teacher involves 7.33 hours of required daily activity, not including time for before and after school planning and preparation. A teacher works 196 days per year and is off for all major holidays, in addition to summer, winter, and spring breaks. Workplace culture depends on the school site assigned and the hardest part of the job, is well, teaching in a society that bases teacher value on student test scores. There is only so much impact an individual can have on another, so finding the sweet spot being teaching and building accountability among students, is the challenge that all teachers must overcome in order to be successful.
n/a
School Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 24, 2018
A great place to work. The work schedule is awesome! The pay is good. It's a great atmosphere! Summers off is the best. Managers are very well understanding.
I enjoy my role
Behavior Coach (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 22, 2018
My day starts at 7:50 am with the arrival of young energetic kids that are trusting in me to lead to them in a positive manner. I Have learned to be flexible and build relationships with my students and parents. My work place culture is genuine, neat, positive, and kid friendly. The hardest part of my job is building self esteem in the students and parents as well as bridging the gap of competency. The most enjoyable part of my job is watching students succeed and become confident in their abilities.
Pros
Making an impact on today.s and tomorrows future
Cons
Environments
Great district to work for
School Counselor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 20, 2018
I love working with this district, I am only leaving because I have a desire to teach in Higher education. My work day is stress-free, however, due to my current position in the elementary, the work can be monotonous.
Pros
flexability
Cons
none to think of
Overall job and life skills learned were immeasurable and motivating.
Guidance Counselor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 17, 2018
Everyday was extremely busy and challenging. I learned the importance of processes and consistency. In trying to implement protocols, I also learned the extreme importance of learning your staff---their style, work ethic, and level of ability. It was the most challenging.This helped to bring balance to the processes, which provided a more positive workplace culture. The most enjoyable part of the job was to watch the students get motivated, enhance their drive, & move forward to better themselves and achieve academic success.
Pros
All things were beneficial. Even the most difficult lessons learned.
Cons
People not being goal oriented and seeing the bigger picture.
Great place to work but little room for adv as ncement/pay increase.
Utility Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 12, 2018
I've worked here for nearly 3 years and love the work environment and lack of stress. The only complaints would be vfc a lack of advancement/pay increases and expensive family healthcare insurance.
Pros
Work rnvironment and pace
Cons
Advancement/pay increases.
Great School
K-4 Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 11, 2018
I enjoyed working at the same school for almost 13 years. I worked there from 2005 to 2018. Great co-workers and admin team.
The hardest part of the job was the discipline issues from some of the older students. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I really liked the fellow teachers and admin team. We teachers played a large role in the management of the school.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Some behavior issues
Job was challenging but fun.
Florida (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 9, 2018
This company hired me before they had the student count. Since there was a shortage, they had to select a teacher with more seniority. I wrote lesson plans, traveled to student's homes and taught lessons to students who were having difficulties attending regular class due to disabilities (permanent and temporary) The challenge was teaching with grade leveled materials with time allotments for every subject 1, 4th and 6th grade) Students were given a few days per week, but had to complete assignments on their own during the week to keep up. Some had physical challenges that caused them not to complete some of the work. Sometimes traveling to their homes and then back to the school setting wasn't convenient nor practical for planning.
Pros
Great for teaching One on One- Allowed for creativity in teaching
Cons
Traveling to locations and then back to the office for planning
Excellent Oppurtunity
District Employment Transition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 8, 2018
Duval County schools provided with excellent opportunities to work with other industry professionals which increased my learning and advancement opportunists. Working with students with varying exceptionalities was very rewarding.
Pros
Very rewarding
Cons
Time Challenhges for studenst that with leaving
Bookkeeper
Bookkeeper/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 6, 2018
Start at 7am leave by 7:30 pm. Make sure that all teachers was in and if they wasn’t I had to make sure a Substitute was there to fill in. I also use to do Team Up. Manage the Principal schedule
Pros
Work
Benefits
Very productive, flexible and family oriented.
Coordinator of Technology Innovations (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 1, 2018
Working and being a team player is very vital when working at Duval County Public Schools. If you are passionate about learning then Duval is the place for you, especially when it comes to technology.
Pros
Awesome work space and family oriented and friendly
Teaching is a rewarding job
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 30, 2018
I enjoy impacting knowledge to others seeing the students reactions when they learn new information. Teaching children is always enlightening watching them grow educational as well as emotional is a reward that you get from teaching.
School's hands are tied to bad policies because of the state
ESE Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 29, 2018
Senate Bill 6 ruined the schools. Its also in a conservative area and comming out as transgender, it was made clear to me that I would not be welcome so I had to move away. The principal at the school I worked at was a notorious bully who poisoned the culture of every school he was moved to.
Great Environment
Extended Day Staff (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 26, 2018
Working for DCPS has been so intrinsically rewarding. My job was to create a safe and educational environment for elementary students after school through the extended day program. It is a great job and most definitely my favorite part of the day.
Pros
Awesome kids
Cons
Pay
Public Education
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 24, 2018
Being a teacher isn't what it used to be. If you've watched any news at all, you know what I am talking about to some extent. I used to love my job and was so incredibility proud to call myself a teacher. I learned so much as a teacher and truly believe it has shaped me into the person I am today. But it's sad what is happening within the system. Teachers are not supported or respected.
I used to love my job. I loved getting up to go to work, I loved being at work with coworkers and students. The increased pressure and lack of support is running teachers off everyday.
Pros
helping children grow and learn
Cons
no support, terrible pay
Nice place to work
Student Records Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 21, 2018
I gained great experience in consumer services.

I enjoyed the travel and different tasks daily.

I encountered many great people that remains in my life today.
Stressful
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR INTERN (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 14, 2018
Working as a teacher at Duval County was very stressful. The many of the students were below grade level, but the requirements were to teach them on grade level and at a rapid pace. As a special education teacher, It felt like I was a teacher's aid due to the co-taught model that required me to help my students in the regular classroom. I missed teaching my students in the pull out model and helping them to improve their reading and math skills. Also the student behaviors grew worse over time, and we received very little support from administration and parents.
Pros
Helping students
Cons
Stressful due to having to take home work, and behavioral problems
Less stress
Florida (Current Employee) –  FloridaJune 12, 2018
A typical day at DCPS was low stress. Through my position at DCPS, I was able to hone my SAP skills. The workplace culture is very relaxed, but like anywhere, you have your busy time and tense moments.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere
great place to work
After School Instructor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 5, 2018
my time in an after school care worker as been fantastic i love my boss. i have been there for around three years now and it has been some of the best time in my life. i will continue to work at the school untill i need to go for something else.
Nice work place.
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 3, 2018
The little kids are a joy to be around at times. I learned the all people are very different. The management is ok once the assist principal get on them about not having the proper supplies .Its a elementary school.Saying good by to the kids that leave the school to go to another school that sad. Most of my co-workers we got along good.
Pros
No good food for the kids.
Cons
The kids writing on the rest room walls.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Duval County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss