E & J Gallo Winery Management reviews

Impact in a negative "Work Life Balance"
Controls Manager (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAAugust 3, 2019
I worked for E&J Gallo for 10 years, working my way to a management level, the early tenure at E&J Gallo was enjoyable because of the learnings due to continues innovation.

When I first started it was a satisfying and rewarding place to work, as the organization transitioned to a "Lean Manufacturing" it lost site of employees "Work Life Balance" to the point I could no longer except this type of working environment and resigned.
August 6, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We value your feedback and will be sharing it with our Engineering leadership team. Best of luck in your future career endeavors and thank you for the time you spent at Gallo.

Whse management dont care at all for hourly employees
Level 4 ADVANCED MATERIAL HANDLER (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJuly 1, 2019
Whse dept management is all about numbers. When work place injuries happen. They dont even go visit you in the hospital like they used to. When your parents and grand parents pass away. They suppose to send you flowers. It staes it in the employee manual. They dont send no flowers. Management dont even care.
Pros
Very good paying job.
Cons
Management needs to have better people skills.
Safe and busy environment meant. Gallo is a big family
Pilot winery assistant seasonal (Former Employee) –  Livingston,ca.June 12, 2019
Working at gallo is hands on, constant moving, cleaning ,climbing,completing work orders of various types. I learned a lot of things I never knew or had accomplished. The management is caring, safety driven and understanding. I really enjoy working outside in the winery. We have a fun loving staff. The hardest part is when its really hot outside. However, we can take water breaks and cool down as needed.
June 17, 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience! Best of luck in the future!

Not a Good Place to Work
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAMay 1, 2019
Managers manage by the hands off approach, don’t want to hear problems, lazy people, toxic environment, stressful, overworked, Negative communication, employees are threatened and retaliated against. Get written up for little things. Have to be in the Good Ole Boy network to get promoted, if you are not liked there is no advancement for you. Unprofessional communication by managers. Promise things that they never follow through on. The company only cares about making money and don’t care at all about the employees. There is constant turnover, management doesn’t listen to their employees. No ownership or accountability from Top leadership or management. Management has no idea what they are doing what ever the flavor of the month is how they operate. They do not hire qualified people. There is no work life balance, the days are long when you stand on your feet most of the day. The leadership does not live by the company values, even though they preach them. Management wants to take no responsibility for anything.
Pros
Pay, benefits, location, wine store
Cons
Good ole boy network to get promoted, stressful, lack of diversity within the entire company, no growth opportunities, lies
May 6, 2019

We are concerned by your review and take it seriously. If you are comfortable, I would like to schedule some time to discuss your feedback in greater detail. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Best Regards,

Susan Hensley
Vice President, Human Resources

Good place to work if you like walking on eggshells
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAApril 4, 2019
Very stressful place to work management just wants to write ppl up. They have good pay that’s why I’m still there but seems like you get a write up for any lilttle mistake
Pros
Pay
April 11, 2019

Thanks for your feedback. We encourage you to reach out to your HR Business Partner to discuss your concerns with management. If you would prefer that your feedback is kept confidential, please reach out via feedback@ejgallo.com.

Great work atmosphere
Engineering Project Manager Co-Op (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 30, 2019
The employees and management are very welcoming and easy to get along with. Everyone has space to accomplish the tasks they need without managers breathing down their neck. Overall, great work environment with very good opportunities.
February 4, 2019

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you sharing your experience. Best of luck in the future!

Very fun workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CADecember 23, 2018
A Typical day at work consisted of visiting my accounts (stores) selling my product, building displays and servicing my product.
I had extensive sales training, the best ever - the Gallo way...
Gallo is family. I still have very good relationships with former co-workers and management.
The hardest part of the job was knowing I did an exceptional job daily, with minimal compensation, but because I learned so much, it was truly a rewarding experience.
The most enjoyable part of the job was having the opportunity to sell such a respected brand, making the sales and working independently.
Pros
Fun, Family, incentives
Cons
compensation
December 26, 2018

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best of luck in the future!

People
Team Leader 2 Bottling Operations (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CANovember 21, 2018
I enjoyed working with the people there. The support and the training programs are excellent and allow you to build your skills in the all areas from the production level to senior management level, I enoyed seeing the daily results that can be achieved through the people.
November 26, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate it!

Management style
Automation Controls Engineer (Former Employee) –  Livingston, CAOctober 9, 2018
There are a few decision makers. You are required to pass up information to them. People are afraid of being blamed for something if something goes wrong, so it is hard to get support. Some people are looking out for their own interest instead of the companies so you can get tossed under the bus. If you don't care about this type of political environment, you can have a great time working there.
Pros
Lots of lunch meetings with too much food.
Cons
Extreemely political.
October 16, 2018

Thank you for your review. We are saddened to hear you did not feel supported during your time at Gallo. We will pass your feedback along to our Operations Leadership Team as we are focused on creating the best environment for our employees. Best of luck in the future.

Fast paced work, safety is a top priority
Maintenance Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAOctober 5, 2018
Loud working environment, fast and high paced work. Good relation ship between management and employees. Union work with highly stilled and well trained associates in both Production and maintenance.
October 8, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate the feedback! Best of luck in your future endeavors!

Very slow and at times boring
Office Clerk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CASeptember 13, 2018
Manager was understanding and pleasant to work with however, others in the department seemed racist including the HR director. HR director makes this place not seem family oriented at all and very judgmental. I learned a lot of new programs was the upside so these are things I can add to resume.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
not family oriented
September 17, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. The conduct you describe does not align with our corporate values and is greatly concerning. We do not tolerate any kind of illegal or discriminatory behavior within Gallo. To confidentially discuss your comments, please contact our third-party, confidential ethics hotline at (855)331-1488 or via ejgallo.ethicspoint.com.

productive, fun and friendly enviroment to work at.
Weigh Master (Former Employee) –  Livingston, CA 95334August 27, 2018
a typical night at work was a fast pace, and busy. what I learned from working there was patience. management was very good and helpful if i needed it. the hardest part about working there was the graveyard shift.
August 28, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate the feedback and wish you the best of luck!

Great reviews
DRIVERS HELPER (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJAugust 8, 2018
Great reviews Excellent workmanship great management respectful employees Great experiments for me I have learned also how to work machinery and trucks and dollies more great companies far as liquor stores
Pros
Excellent
Cons
Great
August 9, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your time at Gallo. Best of luck in the future!

Good place to work fun coworkers
Racker Blender (Former Employee) –  Livingston, CAJuly 11, 2018
Good seasonal job to get me threw the summer. Management very understanding of outside stress. Make sure that everyone is happy and able to do their job to the best of their abilities.
July 12, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your time at Gallo. Cheers!

Burn People Out
Project Manager - Marketing Analytics (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAApril 27, 2018
Like any company it depends on what department/boss you have. Some are much better than others. I had a very poor boss who had a very poor boss. He did a poor job structuring his department but a good job flirting with some young ladies.
May 7, 2018

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The conduct you have described does not align with our Corporate Values and is cause for concern. If you would like to confidentially discuss your comments, please contact your HR Manager or our third-party ethics hotline at 855-331-1488 or ejgallo.ethicspoint.com. The hotline is open 24/7 and is confidential. We hope you will follow up using one of the proposed avenues.

Susan Hensley
VP, Human Resources

Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIApril 21, 2018
Overworked and provided no help by management. Exploited their workers. Work hours were 60+ hours per week, including weekends. No help provided when asked for assistance. Felt alone.
Pros
Worked with good people
Cons
Overworked
April 23, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We take your feedback very seriously as the culture you describe is not aligned with our company values. If you are open to confidentially continuing the conversation, we ask that you reach out via feedback@ejgallo.com.

April 23, 2018

Worked in all production areas
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAApril 20, 2018
Gallo Winery is a well paying, consistent job in Modesto CA. It’s one of only a few places where you can work full time without worry of layoffs or security. The political atmosphere is tense because the production members are unionized and management is not. This create a kind of hostile “us against them” atmosphere from the beginning. The work can be hard but the pay and benefits are well worth it and as long as you play nice and don’t cause trouble opportunities are abundant. If management decides to single a person out for discipline they will do so and relentlessly. Show up and do your job but don’t get noticed seems the perfect motto for this job
Pros
Health Benefits/401K
Cons
Atmosphere isn’t great and trust between management and production leaves a lot to desire
April 23, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Your feedback is troubling as we work hard to create an environment of mutual respect and partnership between our management team and production workers. If you are open to confidentially discussing your feedback in greater detail, we would ask that you reach out via feedback@ejgallo.com.

Thanks,

Betsy Cottel
Sr. Human Resources Director

Analyst (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAApril 16, 2018
It is common knowledge that management has people working the job of two or more people therefore making for a very stressed and fast-paced environment. Unrealistic support and dedicated resources to tasks. Tight timelines on projects.
Pros
Wine and spirits
Cons
level of stress
April 18, 2018

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you had a stressful experience. While we agree that the environment here can be very dynamic, we do our best to make sure workloads are manageable. Changes in expectations vary upon time of year and business need but employees are encouraged to practice work/life balance and can speak to their HR Representatives if they have concerns about managing their time. Thanks again and we wish you the best of luck!

Production worker
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Livingston, CAApril 4, 2018
I worked graveyard for gallo start at 11:30 then went over what needed to be done for our shift. I was either in charge of tank washing, oak removal or pump jobs just dependent on what had to be done. Easy work, management was real good to the employees.
April 6, 2018

Thanks for your feedback and we are so happy to hear that you had such a positive experience! Best of luck to you!

April 5, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with Gallo and we wish you the very best!

Great and amazing place to work at
Seasonal Winery Worker (Former Employee) –  Livingston, CAMarch 16, 2018
I recently worked for Gallo Livingston for the 2017 crush. The atmosphere, work environment, training, and leadership were exceptional. I have never experienced any other job where there was pure acceptance by both the management and coworkers, and understanding of specific limitations each individual has in regards to learning new skills. I truly appreciated the fact that management is very accommodating and super supporting and take pride in YOUR success. I just wish it was a little bit easier to become a full time employee here at the amazing company, but as with all else, time will tell if the opportunity will present itself
Pros
Everything!!
Cons
Hard to become a year-round employee, and it is difficult to pass the workkeys tests.
March 19, 2018

Thank you for your review. We greatly appreciate your feedback and are so glad to hear about your positive experience. We are excited to announce that we will be increasing the number of full-time positions in our Operations department which will in turn provide more opportunities for seasonal employees to convert to full-time. Cheers!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at E & J Gallo Winery. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

3.6Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight