E. & J. Gallo Winery
Happiness rating is 70 out of 100

E. & J. Gallo Winery Employee Reviews

United States361 reviews

This company is number 1 for a reason, they take care of their employees at all levels

Featured review

E. & J. Gallo Winery selected this as a representative review
Best place I’ve ever worked. Culture at Gallo is head and shoulders above the rest in the industry. The careers are fun and rewarding. Gallo has a great benefits program starting the day you are hired.

December 21, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It made our day. Cheers to you!

Leader

Lot of pressure in manufacturing environment. Not enough room for advancement. Lot of new learning everyday. Majority of people at work are very respectful.

May 11, 2022
Thank you for sharing your feedback. If you would like to continue the conversation confidentially, please reach out to us at feedback@ejgallo.com. Thank you!

E. & J. Gallo Winery insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues

Great large family-owned company to work for with exciting work in the right positions

Company is great place to work and management is undergoing changes in project management structure to insure we lead in highly competitive market. Work is fast-paced and always heavy. Compensation is good, but may be lagging comparably. No boredom due to lack of work here. Inclusion and support is high overall. People are friendly and personable overall. Working environment for office personnel is good. Most enjoyable part of the job is working on global products that can be found in many countries. Cons involve the difficulty in adding to headcount before it is past due. Biggest negative is most positions must reside in Modesto or nearby. Company needs to catch up with other companies in adopting hybrid WFH models. Since the pandemic, we have not yet been required to be in the office 5 days a week…BUT…many positions that proved efficiently WFH in the last 2+ years need to adopt full-time Work-from-Anywhere policies to attract and retain high talented employees.

April 18, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience. We value your feedback and will be passing it along to the rest of the Leadership Team. Cheers!

Great Company; Lots of Change

The company is a well known and established entity. There is no concern of job risk or loss due to the industry. They have a strong culture of promoting from within and giving opportunities to those who try. They are open to individuals moving to other departments to grow professionally. There is a fair amount of turn over in middle management (not uncommon in the world) and as such there was less than ideal continuity in management and career focus. On the flip side there is normally a rotation of positions open so advancement is more just a matter of time. The integration and breadth of the company also means that there are opportunities in almost every facet of a beverage production company from field management of the grapes through the end marketing, distribution, and sale of the product. The vast majority of the people I have worked with are kind, passionate, and respectable people who want to work through issues at hand and hold the organizational goals higher than their individual advancement.

Pros

Pay, benefits, opportunity

Cons

resistant to modern remote work options

April 11, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience! We appreciate all you do!

A lot of good but improvement is needed

Starting with the positives:The people are extremely friendly. They will go out of their way to help out or have a pleasant conversation. This is true for leadership of departments and C-level.. I rarely run into individuals who will only meet with me with my manager due to lack of seniority.The work/life balance is flexible. I never feel pressured to check emails or work past 5 if I prefer not to. I have been told to go home or log off when it is past 5 more than once. Working late is always by my own accord and weekend work is extremely rare. I have never been denied a PTO request nor was guilted about taking PTO as I wanted/needed. It should go without saying that this can change during large initiatives, but the work/life balance is fantastic for a regular day-to-day.Stemming from the friendly environment, Gallo is also very inclusive of all. There are tons of clubs/groups for any and all who want to participate. Free coffee is available all day. Which is always a plus.Now on to the negatives:There is a lack of accountability. My largest obstacles day to day is trying to get responses and deliverables from other teams. Escalation is rarely helpful as the lack of accountability is usually top-down. This has improved over the last year or two but still has a long way to go.The culture has shifted greatly. While some of the shift has been good, there has been a lot of bad that doesn't get acknowledged. The bad has impeded on some of the positives I have noted above. Acknowledgment would be a great first step for improving.Promotions can (and will) be gated -

Pros

Friendly People, Flexible Work/Life balance, Inclusive, Free Coffee

Cons

Lack of accountability, Lack of remote options, Gated Promotions

April 5, 2022
Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful review. I truly appreciate your feedback and would like to continue the conversation if you are open to a confidential discussion. If so, please reach out to me directly and we will get something scheduled. Thank you again for all you do and I hope to hear from you soon. Best Regards, Robert Barrios Chief Information Officer

It's an ok job. The mileage money helps with gas and fixing your vehicle

I love working there. A lot of driving but I love going to different places. I learned so much from the different stores I went to. All the stores I went to were really nice.

March 28, 2022
Thanks for your feedback. We will be sharing your review with our Sales leadership team. Best of luck to you!

Good Company

The job has its ups and downs. There are three shifts and management seemed good. If you like hard labor jobs, then this is a place that can give you plenty of work.

March 28, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience. Cheers!

Low stress manageable work load with set directives

I’ve been working at gallo for about 6 months & I love working here. You make great money, great benefits, great retirement plan. Union isn’t very much either. My day to day is manageable & my work load isn’t overbearing & backbreaking. The shifts are difficult at the glass facility they do rotating 12 hour shifts. So days to nights frequently & it can be tough but other then that the job is amazing. Co workers are awesome too

Pros

Pay, co workers, workload, retirement, benefits

March 28, 2022
Thanks so much for sharing your experience! We’re so glad to hear you’re enjoying your new role. Cheers!

Decent for internship experience

Company allowed internship experience. Too many micromanagers. My boss was great though. Interns are allowed to do meaningful work and get nice industry experience.

March 28, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We wish you all the best in the future. Cheers!

Great Workplace For Everyone

Everything is good from pay to culture, everyone is friendly and willing to help you out. Great Company overall and I recommend it to anyone starting off with a great working mindset.

Supportive work environment, with challenges that are achievable.

I am very satisfied at Gallo. The work is challenging, and interesting. There is a good amount of autonomy and you are encouraged to think outside the box. The sense of being stretched thin is there, but it is the job and I understand the expectations of my employment. I’m happy to do the work, and feel the compensation is fair for the location. Definitely the best employer in the area. With the current economic struggles, it is great to be somewhere that is thriving.

Pros

Management, work life balance, compensation, EV charging stations, on campus park/walking trails, wine shop and discounts, employee picnic(if it comes back)

Cons

Health care costs climbing and outpacing salary increases, Need more good full time employees to meet the growth rate of the company

February 22, 2022
Thank you for your thoughtful review. We will pass your feedback along to leadership. Keep up the great work!

Productive and pleasant to be there daily.

I loved working for E&J Gallo Winery. It was like working with family everyday. Lots of opportunities and plenty of room for advancement. Your advancement depends on you and how fast you want to move up.

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, very family oriented

Cons

3 months during harvest your stuck there. No vacation time allowed unless you call off.

February 15, 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We hope you consider future opportunities with Gallo. Best of luck to you!

Enjoyable and rewarding experience

I was a winemaking intern at Gallo and it was one of the best working experiences I've had. From day one I was treated as part of the team and was given responsibility. Great culture and a great place to work. I would love to end up back there some day.

Pros

Great culture, exciting work

January 31, 2022
Thank you for sharing your internship experience! We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best of luck on your next adventure!

N/a

Working here was fun, management was helpful and though I had to start on evenings I was allowed to switch to days which made life a lot better. If you work with them they’ll work with you.

January 24, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience. Wishing you the best of luck in the future!

Horrible. Just a number to them

They really don’t care about their employees anymore. Just making more money for them selves. Their generation only cares about making more money. Cut out all their company picnics safety fairs. And didn’t give a dime to their employees. Just another grosse bottle of wine

Pros

Cons

Healthcare says welfare on it can’t find a dr. Union is run by the company.

January 5, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Although tough to hear, I welcome the opportunity to connect with you directly regarding your feedback. Please reach out to me directly and we can schedule some time to discuss.I hope to hear from you soon. Best Regards,Michelle LewisVice President, Global Human Resources

The Promote from within...

World class training. They Promote from Within.The opportunities are endless if you work hard and show results. I had 5 positions in 8 years with the company.

December 17, 2021
Thanks for your feedback and the 8 years you spent with us. Best of luck to you!

Great pay steady work

Company has improved over the last couple of years. They have hired more employees and the work load has been spread out. Great pay and benefits. Union position.

October 29, 2021
We appreciate your feedback and all of your hard work. Cheers to you!

Drama always with most coworkers

Managers feed the drama instead of helping benefits and pay where great but not the people yes u got free bottles to pretend they cared and make think ur ok

Pros

Free food and wine sometimes

Cons

No managers they are worse then employess

October 8, 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We would like to better understand your comments regarding our management team and would welcome an open discussion. Please contact us at feedback@ejgallo.com if you would like to continue the conversation. We hope to hear from you soon.

Fun

Fun place to work and challenges you to learn new. Some downtime in the grave shift but overall not a bad job at all. Management varies but my current manager is great

Work life balance

Work life balance is a plus but choose where you go wisely. Newer divisions are not treated like the rest of Gallo. Pay is good. Management is hit or miss but for the most part, it’s been great.

September 18, 2021
Thanks for your feedback. We appreciate all you do. Cheers!

Each area has a different culture

Meh….each area has a different work life and culture. Some areas seem amazing and some seem like they are run under the curtain. HR and middle management are shady but the actual owners and higher level management are actual cool and really care about the company and direction.

September 7, 2021
Thank you for your review and for the time you spent with Gallo. I would welcome the opportunity to connect with you regarding your feedback on HR and middle management. Please reach out via feedback@ejgallo.com and we can schedule a time and date to connect. Your feedback is important to us and we hope to hear from you soon. Best Regards,Michelle LewisVice President, Global Human Resources

Ask a question about working or interviewing at E. & J. Gallo Winery. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

4.4Fairygodboss Score

77%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

91%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss