E. & J. Gallo Winery

Clear

winerywinemodestoamazebenefittrainorienttank

E. & J. Gallo Winery insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues

This company is number 1 for a reason, they take care of their employees at all levels

Featured review

E. & J. Gallo Winery selected this as a representative review
Best place I’ve ever worked. Culture at Gallo is head and shoulders above the rest in the industry. The careers are fun and rewarding. Gallo has a great benefits program starting the day you are hired.

December 21, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It made our day. Cheers to you!

Great large family-owned company to work for with exciting work in the right positions

Company is great place to work and management is undergoing changes in project management structure to insure we lead in highly competitive market. Work is fast-paced and always heavy. Compensation is good, but may be lagging comparably. No boredom due to lack of work here. Inclusion and support is high overall. People are friendly and personable overall. Working environment for office personnel is good. Most enjoyable part of the job is working on global products that can be found in many countries. Cons involve the difficulty in adding to headcount before it is past due. Biggest negative is most positions must reside in Modesto or nearby. Company needs to catch up with other companies in adopting hybrid WFH models. Since the pandemic, we have not yet been required to be in the office 5 days a week…BUT…many positions that proved efficiently WFH in the last 2+ years need to adopt full-time Work-from-Anywhere policies to attract and retain high talented employees.

April 18, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience. We value your feedback and will be passing it along to the rest of the Leadership Team. Cheers!

Great Company; Lots of Change

The company is a well known and established entity. There is no concern of job risk or loss due to the industry. They have a strong culture of promoting from within and giving opportunities to those who try. They are open to individuals moving to other departments to grow professionally. There is a fair amount of turn over in middle management (not uncommon in the world) and as such there was less than ideal continuity in management and career focus. On the flip side there is normally a rotation of positions open so advancement is more just a matter of time. The integration and breadth of the company also means that there are opportunities in almost every facet of a beverage production company from field management of the grapes through the end marketing, distribution, and sale of the product. The vast majority of the people I have worked with are kind, passionate, and respectable people who want to work through issues at hand and hold the organizational goals higher than their individual advancement.

Pros

Pay, benefits, opportunity

Cons

resistant to modern remote work options

April 11, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience! We appreciate all you do!

A lot of good but improvement is needed

Starting with the positives:The people are extremely friendly. They will go out of their way to help out or have a pleasant conversation. This is true for leadership of departments and C-level.. I rarely run into individuals who will only meet with me with my manager due to lack of seniority.The work/life balance is flexible. I never feel pressured to check emails or work past 5 if I prefer not to. I have been told to go home or log off when it is past 5 more than once. Working late is always by my own accord and weekend work is extremely rare. I have never been denied a PTO request nor was guilted about taking PTO as I wanted/needed. It should go without saying that this can change during large initiatives, but the work/life balance is fantastic for a regular day-to-day.Stemming from the friendly environment, Gallo is also very inclusive of all. There are tons of clubs/groups for any and all who want to participate. Free coffee is available all day. Which is always a plus.Now on to the negatives:There is a lack of accountability. My largest obstacles day to day is trying to get responses and deliverables from other teams. Escalation is rarely helpful as the lack of accountability is usually top-down. This has improved over the last year or two but still has a long way to go.The culture has shifted greatly. While some of the shift has been good, there has been a lot of bad that doesn't get acknowledged. The bad has impeded on some of the positives I have noted above. Acknowledgment would be a great first step for improving.Promotions can (and will) be gated -

Pros

Friendly People, Flexible Work/Life balance, Inclusive, Free Coffee

Cons

Lack of accountability, Lack of remote options, Gated Promotions

April 5, 2022
Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful review. I truly appreciate your feedback and would like to continue the conversation if you are open to a confidential discussion. If so, please reach out to me directly and we will get something scheduled. Thank you again for all you do and I hope to hear from you soon. Best Regards, Robert Barrios Chief Information Officer

It's an ok job. The mileage money helps with gas and fixing your vehicle

I love working there. A lot of driving but I love going to different places. I learned so much from the different stores I went to. All the stores I went to were really nice.

March 28, 2022
Thanks for your feedback. We will be sharing your review with our Sales leadership team. Best of luck to you!

Great Workplace For Everyone

Everything is good from pay to culture, everyone is friendly and willing to help you out. Great Company overall and I recommend it to anyone starting off with a great working mindset.

Enjoyable and rewarding experience

I was a winemaking intern at Gallo and it was one of the best working experiences I've had. From day one I was treated as part of the team and was given responsibility. Great culture and a great place to work. I would love to end up back there some day.

Pros

Great culture, exciting work

January 31, 2022
Thank you for sharing your internship experience! We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best of luck on your next adventure!

Each area has a different culture

Meh….each area has a different work life and culture. Some areas seem amazing and some seem like they are run under the curtain. HR and middle management are shady but the actual owners and higher level management are actual cool and really care about the company and direction.

September 7, 2021
Thank you for your review and for the time you spent with Gallo. I would welcome the opportunity to connect with you regarding your feedback on HR and middle management. Please reach out via feedback@ejgallo.com and we can schedule a time and date to connect. Your feedback is important to us and we hope to hear from you soon. Best Regards,Michelle LewisVice President, Global Human Resources

Amazing People and Company, not enough Flexibility

The people that you will meet and work alongside at Gallo can not be beat. The culture is incredible and it's clear senior leadership all the way up to the CEO truly care about their people. Unfortunately, this company is based out of Modesto and there is very little flexibility on working elsewhere in the country, which has led to a lot of retention throughout the organization.

Pros

Amazing people, hard-working culture, family owned, promotions from within

Cons

Flexibility based on Location, compensation could be better

August 18, 2021
Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback!

N/a

Great place for seasonal but hard to advance. Is hot and yes you do work outside. Your hardly trained but workers are friendly but Superviser then to pick favorites.

August 18, 2021
Thank you for your review. Wishing you the best of luck in the future.

Productive and well trained employees.

The one thing that stood out to me was the company's willingness to educate their employees. They didn't spare any expense in training their management team and production workers. I was engaged in the creation of procedural text and training manual development for various departments. At the time I was employed at E&J Gallo the company was attempting to change their company culture using Charles Demming's 14 points approach to quality improvement throughout the company. At that time we were also converting manual hand written systems to computer systems. And it was done quite efficiently because of the excellent training and professionalism in that company.

Pros

Excellent training, good benefits, productive meetings, and the company picnics were fun.

Cons

Too many theory X supervisors (20 years ago), Over departmentalized at the time I was employed

May 13, 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We appreciate it. Cheers!

Productivity

Clean And Professional. No interference when it comes to your productivity.Good professional seniors who are supportive even in personal problems.Enjoy and Work

Pros

Family Gifts

Cons

Maybe for some

March 22, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your feedback!

I love working there. It's laid back. I enjoy my time working. Even though it's remote. I learn a lot from my manager. People are nice in general. You can use the company shop for buying cheap wine

Pros

Great culture

Cons

Not really

December 21, 2020
We are so glad you enjoyed your internship and hope you consider future opportunities with Gallo. Cheers!

Family

its a very family friendly environment Great people to work forGreat work life balance great working conditions Great training to help advancement

Pros

training

August 9, 2020
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate all you do for Gallo. Cheers to you!

Lab Assistant

Overall great company. Enjoyed my time there. I felt accomplished after every shift. They were willing to teach me the job. I enjoyed the people I worked with, was never a dull moment a Gallo.

Pros

Coworkers, pay, benefits

Cons

Seasonal work

August 9, 2020
Thanks for your feedback and we hope you consider Gallo in the future. Best of luck to you!

Watch out for the other guy trying to bring you down.

Worked there for 3 years and thought I would retire from the company. There is always someone in a company that does less then everyone and acts like he does it all. I was treated unfairly and even at times inappropriate jokes were made about my culture and religious beliefs. I was even injured on the job and made to feel like I was lying about my injuries. Amazing pay and benefits...lots of overtime.

Competitiva

Un equipo de trabajo competitivo y sano Me gusto mucho trabajar ahí por qué tratan bien a los trabajadores y te dan muchas oportunidades para aprender a hacer cosas nuevas relacionadas con el vino

June 29, 2020
Muchas gracias por su retroalimentación. Esperemos considere oportunidades futuras con Gallo. Saludos!

Fast Paced

Lack of Diversity in management. Promotions based on networking rather than skillset and productivity. A homogenous management culture than creates blind spots.

April 14, 2020
Thanks for your feedback. We want you to know diversity & inclusion is a top priority for us. We’re working with an external consulting firm to review current practices and to make sure we’re providing our employees with an inclusive, fulfilling workplace. Cheers!

Very dynamic

This company is extremely dynamic and cover a tremendous range of fields from marketing, IT, agriculture, etc. They are very fast paced and fully embrace new technologies.

March 16, 2020
Thanks for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback. Cheers!

Great opportunities to learn and develop within Wine & Spirits industry.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being committed to the growth of a family owned company that is leading innovation and growth within the wine industry and knowing that your contributions are appreciated.

Productive and creative work place.

Awesome company to work for, a typical day at work includes brainstorming with fellow employees to create new ideas for information critical to our customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at E. & J. Gallo Winery. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.5Personal Development
4.0Career Opportunities
3.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight