E. & J. Gallo Winery

Clear
3.7Job Security & Advancement

E. & J. Gallo Winery insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues

This company is number 1 for a reason, they take care of their employees at all levels

Featured review

E. & J. Gallo Winery selected this as a representative review
Best place I’ve ever worked. Culture at Gallo is head and shoulders above the rest in the industry. The careers are fun and rewarding. Gallo has a great benefits program starting the day you are hired.

December 21, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It made our day. Cheers to you!

Leader

Lot of pressure in manufacturing environment. Not enough room for advancement. Lot of new learning everyday. Majority of people at work are very respectful.

May 11, 2022
Thank you for sharing your feedback. If you would like to continue the conversation confidentially, please reach out to us at feedback@ejgallo.com. Thank you!

Great Company; Lots of Change

The company is a well known and established entity. There is no concern of job risk or loss due to the industry. They have a strong culture of promoting from within and giving opportunities to those who try. They are open to individuals moving to other departments to grow professionally. There is a fair amount of turn over in middle management (not uncommon in the world) and as such there was less than ideal continuity in management and career focus. On the flip side there is normally a rotation of positions open so advancement is more just a matter of time. The integration and breadth of the company also means that there are opportunities in almost every facet of a beverage production company from field management of the grapes through the end marketing, distribution, and sale of the product. The vast majority of the people I have worked with are kind, passionate, and respectable people who want to work through issues at hand and hold the organizational goals higher than their individual advancement.

Pros

Pay, benefits, opportunity

Cons

resistant to modern remote work options

April 11, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience! We appreciate all you do!

A lot of good but improvement is needed

Starting with the positives:The people are extremely friendly. They will go out of their way to help out or have a pleasant conversation. This is true for leadership of departments and C-level.. I rarely run into individuals who will only meet with me with my manager due to lack of seniority.The work/life balance is flexible. I never feel pressured to check emails or work past 5 if I prefer not to. I have been told to go home or log off when it is past 5 more than once. Working late is always by my own accord and weekend work is extremely rare. I have never been denied a PTO request nor was guilted about taking PTO as I wanted/needed. It should go without saying that this can change during large initiatives, but the work/life balance is fantastic for a regular day-to-day.Stemming from the friendly environment, Gallo is also very inclusive of all. There are tons of clubs/groups for any and all who want to participate. Free coffee is available all day. Which is always a plus.Now on to the negatives:There is a lack of accountability. My largest obstacles day to day is trying to get responses and deliverables from other teams. Escalation is rarely helpful as the lack of accountability is usually top-down. This has improved over the last year or two but still has a long way to go.The culture has shifted greatly. While some of the shift has been good, there has been a lot of bad that doesn't get acknowledged. The bad has impeded on some of the positives I have noted above. Acknowledgment would be a great first step for improving.Promotions can (and will) be gated -

Pros

Friendly People, Flexible Work/Life balance, Inclusive, Free Coffee

Cons

Lack of accountability, Lack of remote options, Gated Promotions

April 5, 2022
Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful review. I truly appreciate your feedback and would like to continue the conversation if you are open to a confidential discussion. If so, please reach out to me directly and we will get something scheduled. Thank you again for all you do and I hope to hear from you soon. Best Regards, Robert Barrios Chief Information Officer

Decent for internship experience

Company allowed internship experience. Too many micromanagers. My boss was great though. Interns are allowed to do meaningful work and get nice industry experience.

March 28, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We wish you all the best in the future. Cheers!

Great Workplace For Everyone

Everything is good from pay to culture, everyone is friendly and willing to help you out. Great Company overall and I recommend it to anyone starting off with a great working mindset.

Productive and pleasant to be there daily.

I loved working for E&J Gallo Winery. It was like working with family everyday. Lots of opportunities and plenty of room for advancement. Your advancement depends on you and how fast you want to move up.

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, very family oriented

Cons

3 months during harvest your stuck there. No vacation time allowed unless you call off.

February 15, 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We hope you consider future opportunities with Gallo. Best of luck to you!

Enjoyable and rewarding experience

I was a winemaking intern at Gallo and it was one of the best working experiences I've had. From day one I was treated as part of the team and was given responsibility. Great culture and a great place to work. I would love to end up back there some day.

Pros

Great culture, exciting work

January 31, 2022
Thank you for sharing your internship experience! We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best of luck on your next adventure!

The Promote from within...

World class training. They Promote from Within.The opportunities are endless if you work hard and show results. I had 5 positions in 8 years with the company.

December 17, 2021
Thanks for your feedback and the 8 years you spent with us. Best of luck to you!

Great pay steady work

Company has improved over the last couple of years. They have hired more employees and the work load has been spread out. Great pay and benefits. Union position.

October 29, 2021
We appreciate your feedback and all of your hard work. Cheers to you!

Great pay at a huge cost

Very very little, if any, work/life balance. If you are not part time, company will pull the "company needs" card to force you into overtime for most days off the weeks. It is easy work but very exhausting

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Huge opportunity for advancement with time

Cons

No work/life balance, just work work work

Amazing People and Company, not enough Flexibility

The people that you will meet and work alongside at Gallo can not be beat. The culture is incredible and it's clear senior leadership all the way up to the CEO truly care about their people. Unfortunately, this company is based out of Modesto and there is very little flexibility on working elsewhere in the country, which has led to a lot of retention throughout the organization.

Pros

Amazing people, hard-working culture, family owned, promotions from within

Cons

Flexibility based on Location, compensation could be better

August 18, 2021
Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback!

Lies and Abandonment

When I was hired, I was promised many things that ended up not being true. I'm now with one of their distributors and feel like I was abandoned at sea without any help in sight. They've forgotten about me not only as an employee, but also as a person. I have never felt so lost at a job and continually have my feelings neglected and keep being told, "we've all had to go through this." I am now struggling with anxiety and possibly depression due to their negligence and lack of understanding as I had to leave behind all my friends and family for this job opportunity in the middle of a pandemic. I highly recommend you look elsewhere for that "great Fortune 500" job you dreamed of getting out of college.

Pros

Cons

Poor communication, lying

March 23, 2021
Your review greatly concerns us. We encourage you to contact your employer, Breakthru Beverage’s, HR Department or Ethics Line. If you would prefer, you can also reach out to me directly. I know it’s been a challenge working through the pandemic. Best Regards, Alison JerdenSr. Director, Human Resources

Great company

Pros - Autonomy within the role. You set your own schedule and don’t have anyone checking in on you 24/7.- Stability. Gallo really values their employees and won’t fire anyone unless you aren’t going into your accounts or are a terrible person.- Clear growth. You have a very clear career path with Gallo where you will usually spend 2 years as a rep then get promoted (assuming you’re a leader and have reached certain metrics) into a district manager or trainer.People. The people at Gallo are great and make work feel like a family. Truly the best part about working here.Cons- Low starting pay. - A lot of hands on “dirty work” (in back rooms carrying cases, moving liquor, stocking shelves etc). They are very up front about this during the interview though.

March 22, 2021
Thanks for taking the time to leave such a thorough review. We are so glad you are here!

I love working there. It's laid back. I enjoy my time working. Even though it's remote. I learn a lot from my manager. People are nice in general. You can use the company shop for buying cheap wine

Pros

Great culture

Cons

Not really

December 21, 2020
We are so glad you enjoyed your internship and hope you consider future opportunities with Gallo. Cheers!

Family

its a very family friendly environment Great people to work forGreat work life balance great working conditions Great training to help advancement

Pros

training

August 9, 2020
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate all you do for Gallo. Cheers to you!

There's always room to grow in this Company

This company takes care of there employees as well as each other. This company is growing and it's getting bigger. This also provides College Internship program helps understand the work in the AG business.

April 24, 2020
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We really appreciate it. Best of luck to you!

Fast Paced

Lack of Diversity in management. Promotions based on networking rather than skillset and productivity. A homogenous management culture than creates blind spots.

April 14, 2020
Thanks for your feedback. We want you to know diversity & inclusion is a top priority for us. We’re working with an external consulting firm to review current practices and to make sure we’re providing our employees with an inclusive, fulfilling workplace. Cheers!

Detailed Environment

Gallo is an environment with many rules and regulations. If you can submit yourself to a very detailed environment you will do great. I enjoy the benefits and compensation included with my position.

Very dynamic

This company is extremely dynamic and cover a tremendous range of fields from marketing, IT, agriculture, etc. They are very fast paced and fully embrace new technologies.

March 16, 2020
Thanks for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback. Cheers!

Great opportunities to learn and develop within Wine & Spirits industry.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being committed to the growth of a family owned company that is leading innovation and growth within the wine industry and knowing that your contributions are appreciated.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at E. & J. Gallo Winery. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.5Personal Development
4.0Career Opportunities
3.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare E. & J. Gallo Winery with

• E. & J. Gallo Winery
  • Job Security & Advancement
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?