E. & J. Gallo Winery
Happiness rating is 70 out of 100

E. & J. Gallo Winery Management reviews

United States361 reviews

Clear

Great large family-owned company to work for with exciting work in the right positions

Company is great place to work and management is undergoing changes in project management structure to insure we lead in highly competitive market. Work is fast-paced and always heavy. Compensation is good, but may be lagging comparably. No boredom due to lack of work here. Inclusion and support is high overall. People are friendly and personable overall. Working environment for office personnel is good. Most enjoyable part of the job is working on global products that can be found in many countries. Cons involve the difficulty in adding to headcount before it is past due. Biggest negative is most positions must reside in Modesto or nearby. Company needs to catch up with other companies in adopting hybrid WFH models. Since the pandemic, we have not yet been required to be in the office 5 days a week…BUT…many positions that proved efficiently WFH in the last 2+ years need to adopt full-time Work-from-Anywhere policies to attract and retain high talented employees.

April 18, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience. We value your feedback and will be passing it along to the rest of the Leadership Team. Cheers!

Great Company; Lots of Change

The company is a well known and established entity. There is no concern of job risk or loss due to the industry. They have a strong culture of promoting from within and giving opportunities to those who try. They are open to individuals moving to other departments to grow professionally. There is a fair amount of turn over in middle management (not uncommon in the world) and as such there was less than ideal continuity in management and career focus. On the flip side there is normally a rotation of positions open so advancement is more just a matter of time. The integration and breadth of the company also means that there are opportunities in almost every facet of a beverage production company from field management of the grapes through the end marketing, distribution, and sale of the product. The vast majority of the people I have worked with are kind, passionate, and respectable people who want to work through issues at hand and hold the organizational goals higher than their individual advancement.

Pros

Pay, benefits, opportunity

Cons

resistant to modern remote work options

April 11, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience! We appreciate all you do!

E. & J. Gallo Winery insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues

Good Company

The job has its ups and downs. There are three shifts and management seemed good. If you like hard labor jobs, then this is a place that can give you plenty of work.

March 28, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience. Cheers!

Supportive work environment, with challenges that are achievable.

I am very satisfied at Gallo. The work is challenging, and interesting. There is a good amount of autonomy and you are encouraged to think outside the box. The sense of being stretched thin is there, but it is the job and I understand the expectations of my employment. I’m happy to do the work, and feel the compensation is fair for the location. Definitely the best employer in the area. With the current economic struggles, it is great to be somewhere that is thriving.

Pros

Management, work life balance, compensation, EV charging stations, on campus park/walking trails, wine shop and discounts, employee picnic(if it comes back)

Cons

Health care costs climbing and outpacing salary increases, Need more good full time employees to meet the growth rate of the company

February 22, 2022
Thank you for your thoughtful review. We will pass your feedback along to leadership. Keep up the great work!

N/a

Working here was fun, management was helpful and though I had to start on evenings I was allowed to switch to days which made life a lot better. If you work with them they’ll work with you.

January 24, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience. Wishing you the best of luck in the future!

Drama always with most coworkers

Managers feed the drama instead of helping benefits and pay where great but not the people yes u got free bottles to pretend they cared and make think ur ok

Pros

Free food and wine sometimes

Cons

No managers they are worse then employess

October 8, 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We would like to better understand your comments regarding our management team and would welcome an open discussion. Please contact us at feedback@ejgallo.com if you would like to continue the conversation. We hope to hear from you soon.

Fun

Fun place to work and challenges you to learn new. Some downtime in the grave shift but overall not a bad job at all. Management varies but my current manager is great

Work life balance

Work life balance is a plus but choose where you go wisely. Newer divisions are not treated like the rest of Gallo. Pay is good. Management is hit or miss but for the most part, it’s been great.

September 18, 2021
Thanks for your feedback. We appreciate all you do. Cheers!

Each area has a different culture

Meh….each area has a different work life and culture. Some areas seem amazing and some seem like they are run under the curtain. HR and middle management are shady but the actual owners and higher level management are actual cool and really care about the company and direction.

September 7, 2021
Thank you for your review and for the time you spent with Gallo. I would welcome the opportunity to connect with you regarding your feedback on HR and middle management. Please reach out via feedback@ejgallo.com and we can schedule a time and date to connect. Your feedback is important to us and we hope to hear from you soon. Best Regards,Michelle LewisVice President, Global Human Resources

Horrible warehouse to work at, just disappointing.

Coworkers make your life miserable,they pretend to be your boss or order you around. You'll just be working around with a bunch of bullies,if you don't get along with gang or stick to they're level they'll make your job harder than it's supposed be.

Pros

45min lunches

Cons

On call part time

August 30, 2021
Thank you for your review. Your feedback is concerning as we have a zero tolerance for bullying in the workplace. We are sincerely sorry that you’ve had to experience these behaviors and encourage you to reach out to me. You can reach me at feedback@ejgallo.com. I hope to hear from you soon! Best Regards,Michelle LewisVP of Global Human Resources

Amazing People and Company, not enough Flexibility

The people that you will meet and work alongside at Gallo can not be beat. The culture is incredible and it's clear senior leadership all the way up to the CEO truly care about their people. Unfortunately, this company is based out of Modesto and there is very little flexibility on working elsewhere in the country, which has led to a lot of retention throughout the organization.

Pros

Amazing people, hard-working culture, family owned, promotions from within

Cons

Flexibility based on Location, compensation could be better

August 18, 2021
Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback!

Productive and well trained employees.

The one thing that stood out to me was the company's willingness to educate their employees. They didn't spare any expense in training their management team and production workers. I was engaged in the creation of procedural text and training manual development for various departments. At the time I was employed at E&J Gallo the company was attempting to change their company culture using Charles Demming's 14 points approach to quality improvement throughout the company. At that time we were also converting manual hand written systems to computer systems. And it was done quite efficiently because of the excellent training and professionalism in that company.

Pros

Excellent training, good benefits, productive meetings, and the company picnics were fun.

Cons

Too many theory X supervisors (20 years ago), Over departmentalized at the time I was employed

May 13, 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We appreciate it. Cheers!

Good work environment

Gallo is a hard work and great rewards kind of company. Management is fair yet demanding. Training is well done and very complete. They train well and offer constant on the job support.

Pros

Exciting

Cons

Demanding

April 5, 2021
Thanks for your thorough feedback. We appreciate the time you spent with Gallo. Best of luck to you!

Lies and Abandonment

When I was hired, I was promised many things that ended up not being true. I'm now with one of their distributors and feel like I was abandoned at sea without any help in sight. They've forgotten about me not only as an employee, but also as a person. I have never felt so lost at a job and continually have my feelings neglected and keep being told, "we've all had to go through this." I am now struggling with anxiety and possibly depression due to their negligence and lack of understanding as I had to leave behind all my friends and family for this job opportunity in the middle of a pandemic. I highly recommend you look elsewhere for that "great Fortune 500" job you dreamed of getting out of college.

Pros

Cons

Poor communication, lying

March 23, 2021
Your review greatly concerns us. We encourage you to contact your employer, Breakthru Beverage’s, HR Department or Ethics Line. If you would prefer, you can also reach out to me directly. I know it’s been a challenge working through the pandemic. Best Regards, Alison JerdenSr. Director, Human Resources

It'k OK if you are ready to put your work before your family

It was a good place to work. However, upper management generally don't care about you. On my last day non of them called me to even say good bye or conduct exit interviews. I had a chance to speak to HR and gave them my feedback that managers should be trained much better to provide support to their employees. Also, this is kind of a disorganised place: there is no structure in a lot of departments.

Pros

Ok benefits

Cons

Poor training for management

March 22, 2021
Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. Work-life balance is very important to Gallo and we will be sharing your review with the Healdsburg leadership team. All the best to you.

Great family company

Gallo was a great company to work for, easygoing job with flexible hours. Direct management was excellent and upper management was responsive to employee concerns. I would work there again.

January 8, 2021
Thanks for your review! We hope you consider future opportunities with Gallo. Cheers!

Worst place to work!

During this whole covid 19 fiasco this company does not work well with people who have breathing problems. They harass people and they don’t care the amount of stress they put on us workers. Do not work here!

Cons

Every single aspect of the company

August 24, 2020
The conduct you have described does not align with our corporate values and is greatly concerning. If you would like to confidentially discuss your comments, please contact our third-party, confidential ethics hotline at 855-331-1488 or via ejgallo.ethicspoint.com. Thanks,Susan HensleyVice President, Human Resources

Don't Believe the PR

Company was the exact opposite of what they said. Bad manager, crummy pay, micromanagement and high stress. Very disappointed that this company was clearly not what it appeared to be.

Pros

Cons

No training, micromanagers, frustrating and stressful and low pay

Watch out for the other guy trying to bring you down.

Worked there for 3 years and thought I would retire from the company. There is always someone in a company that does less then everyone and acts like he does it all. I was treated unfairly and even at times inappropriate jokes were made about my culture and religious beliefs. I was even injured on the job and made to feel like I was lying about my injuries. Amazing pay and benefits...lots of overtime.

The benefits are good...thats about it.

My time at Gallo was frustrating and hard. Management offers 0 help, even when asked. Its clear that the management team has had very little training in how to properly manage a team, and they have zero desire to learn. The manner in which I was approached by my superiors, was more often then not, inappropriate, unprofessional and borderline harassing. Although I was successful in my role, I was consistently made to feel unappreciated, ridiculed, scrutinized and targeted. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the members of management seemed to have zero concern for our safety and well being beyond throwing a couple of gloves at us and some sanitizer. If you are looking to excel and grow in a positive work environment, steer clear of E&J Gallo.

Pros

The health benefits

Cons

Unprofessional Management, unrealistic standards, hours, communication

Fast Paced

Lack of Diversity in management. Promotions based on networking rather than skillset and productivity. A homogenous management culture than creates blind spots.

April 14, 2020
Thanks for your feedback. We want you to know diversity & inclusion is a top priority for us. We’re working with an external consulting firm to review current practices and to make sure we’re providing our employees with an inclusive, fulfilling workplace. Cheers!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at E. & J. Gallo Winery. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

4.4Fairygodboss Score

77%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

91%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss