E. & J. Gallo Winery

4.0Pay & Benefits

winerywinemodestoamazebenefittrainorienttank

E. & J. Gallo Winery insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues

This company is number 1 for a reason, they take care of their employees at all levels

Featured review

E. & J. Gallo Winery selected this as a representative review
Best place I’ve ever worked. Culture at Gallo is head and shoulders above the rest in the industry. The careers are fun and rewarding. Gallo has a great benefits program starting the day you are hired.

December 21, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It made our day. Cheers to you!

Great large family-owned company to work for with exciting work in the right positions

Company is great place to work and management is undergoing changes in project management structure to insure we lead in highly competitive market. Work is fast-paced and always heavy. Compensation is good, but may be lagging comparably. No boredom due to lack of work here. Inclusion and support is high overall. People are friendly and personable overall. Working environment for office personnel is good. Most enjoyable part of the job is working on global products that can be found in many countries. Cons involve the difficulty in adding to headcount before it is past due. Biggest negative is most positions must reside in Modesto or nearby. Company needs to catch up with other companies in adopting hybrid WFH models. Since the pandemic, we have not yet been required to be in the office 5 days a week…BUT…many positions that proved efficiently WFH in the last 2+ years need to adopt full-time Work-from-Anywhere policies to attract and retain high talented employees.

April 18, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience. We value your feedback and will be passing it along to the rest of the Leadership Team. Cheers!

Great Company; Lots of Change

The company is a well known and established entity. There is no concern of job risk or loss due to the industry. They have a strong culture of promoting from within and giving opportunities to those who try. They are open to individuals moving to other departments to grow professionally. There is a fair amount of turn over in middle management (not uncommon in the world) and as such there was less than ideal continuity in management and career focus. On the flip side there is normally a rotation of positions open so advancement is more just a matter of time. The integration and breadth of the company also means that there are opportunities in almost every facet of a beverage production company from field management of the grapes through the end marketing, distribution, and sale of the product. The vast majority of the people I have worked with are kind, passionate, and respectable people who want to work through issues at hand and hold the organizational goals higher than their individual advancement.

Pros

Pay, benefits, opportunity

Cons

resistant to modern remote work options

April 11, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience! We appreciate all you do!

Good Company

The job has its ups and downs. There are three shifts and management seemed good. If you like hard labor jobs, then this is a place that can give you plenty of work.

March 28, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience. Cheers!

Low stress manageable work load with set directives

I’ve been working at gallo for about 6 months & I love working here. You make great money, great benefits, great retirement plan. Union isn’t very much either. My day to day is manageable & my work load isn’t overbearing & backbreaking. The shifts are difficult at the glass facility they do rotating 12 hour shifts. So days to nights frequently & it can be tough but other then that the job is amazing. Co workers are awesome too

Pros

Pay, co workers, workload, retirement, benefits

March 28, 2022
Thanks so much for sharing your experience! We’re so glad to hear you’re enjoying your new role. Cheers!

Supportive work environment, with challenges that are achievable.

I am very satisfied at Gallo. The work is challenging, and interesting. There is a good amount of autonomy and you are encouraged to think outside the box. The sense of being stretched thin is there, but it is the job and I understand the expectations of my employment. I’m happy to do the work, and feel the compensation is fair for the location. Definitely the best employer in the area. With the current economic struggles, it is great to be somewhere that is thriving.

Pros

Management, work life balance, compensation, EV charging stations, on campus park/walking trails, wine shop and discounts, employee picnic(if it comes back)

Cons

Health care costs climbing and outpacing salary increases, Need more good full time employees to meet the growth rate of the company

February 22, 2022
Thank you for your thoughtful review. We will pass your feedback along to leadership. Keep up the great work!

Productive and pleasant to be there daily.

I loved working for E&J Gallo Winery. It was like working with family everyday. Lots of opportunities and plenty of room for advancement. Your advancement depends on you and how fast you want to move up.

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, very family oriented

Cons

3 months during harvest your stuck there. No vacation time allowed unless you call off.

February 15, 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We hope you consider future opportunities with Gallo. Best of luck to you!

Great pay steady work

Company has improved over the last couple of years. They have hired more employees and the work load has been spread out. Great pay and benefits. Union position.

October 29, 2021
We appreciate your feedback and all of your hard work. Cheers to you!

Drama always with most coworkers

Managers feed the drama instead of helping benefits and pay where great but not the people yes u got free bottles to pretend they cared and make think ur ok

Pros

Free food and wine sometimes

Cons

No managers they are worse then employess

October 8, 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We would like to better understand your comments regarding our management team and would welcome an open discussion. Please contact us at feedback@ejgallo.com if you would like to continue the conversation. We hope to hear from you soon.

Great pay at a huge cost

Very very little, if any, work/life balance. If you are not part time, company will pull the "company needs" card to force you into overtime for most days off the weeks. It is easy work but very exhausting

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Huge opportunity for advancement with time

Cons

No work/life balance, just work work work

Amazing People and Company, not enough Flexibility

The people that you will meet and work alongside at Gallo can not be beat. The culture is incredible and it's clear senior leadership all the way up to the CEO truly care about their people. Unfortunately, this company is based out of Modesto and there is very little flexibility on working elsewhere in the country, which has led to a lot of retention throughout the organization.

Pros

Amazing people, hard-working culture, family owned, promotions from within

Cons

Flexibility based on Location, compensation could be better

August 18, 2021
Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback!

Productive and well trained employees.

The one thing that stood out to me was the company's willingness to educate their employees. They didn't spare any expense in training their management team and production workers. I was engaged in the creation of procedural text and training manual development for various departments. At the time I was employed at E&J Gallo the company was attempting to change their company culture using Charles Demming's 14 points approach to quality improvement throughout the company. At that time we were also converting manual hand written systems to computer systems. And it was done quite efficiently because of the excellent training and professionalism in that company.

Pros

Excellent training, good benefits, productive meetings, and the company picnics were fun.

Cons

Too many theory X supervisors (20 years ago), Over departmentalized at the time I was employed

May 13, 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We appreciate it. Cheers!

It'k OK if you are ready to put your work before your family

It was a good place to work. However, upper management generally don't care about you. On my last day non of them called me to even say good bye or conduct exit interviews. I had a chance to speak to HR and gave them my feedback that managers should be trained much better to provide support to their employees. Also, this is kind of a disorganised place: there is no structure in a lot of departments.

Pros

Ok benefits

Cons

Poor training for management

March 22, 2021
Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. Work-life balance is very important to Gallo and we will be sharing your review with the Healdsburg leadership team. All the best to you.

Productive and fun working with this company

Productive fun working with this company and with people and I learn a lot level 5 always willing to help me every thing that I need to know about the jobs that i do

Pros

Free lunches sometimes

Cons

2 times at 15 minutes break 30 minutes lunch at 8 hours shift

November 16, 2020
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We are so glad to hear that you are happy. Keep up the great work!

Lab Assistant

Overall great company. Enjoyed my time there. I felt accomplished after every shift. They were willing to teach me the job. I enjoyed the people I worked with, was never a dull moment a Gallo.

Pros

Coworkers, pay, benefits

Cons

Seasonal work

August 9, 2020
Thanks for your feedback and we hope you consider Gallo in the future. Best of luck to you!

Watch out for the other guy trying to bring you down.

Worked there for 3 years and thought I would retire from the company. There is always someone in a company that does less then everyone and acts like he does it all. I was treated unfairly and even at times inappropriate jokes were made about my culture and religious beliefs. I was even injured on the job and made to feel like I was lying about my injuries. Amazing pay and benefits...lots of overtime.

The benefits are good...thats about it.

My time at Gallo was frustrating and hard. Management offers 0 help, even when asked. Its clear that the management team has had very little training in how to properly manage a team, and they have zero desire to learn. The manner in which I was approached by my superiors, was more often then not, inappropriate, unprofessional and borderline harassing. Although I was successful in my role, I was consistently made to feel unappreciated, ridiculed, scrutinized and targeted. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the members of management seemed to have zero concern for our safety and well being beyond throwing a couple of gloves at us and some sanitizer. If you are looking to excel and grow in a positive work environment, steer clear of E&J Gallo.

Pros

The health benefits

Cons

Unprofessional Management, unrealistic standards, hours, communication

Detailed Environment

Gallo is an environment with many rules and regulations. If you can submit yourself to a very detailed environment you will do great. I enjoy the benefits and compensation included with my position.

Gallo Winery... a great place to work if you aren’t an hourly production employee.

E&J Gallo winery pays well, offers school reimbursement, and has decent benefits. However, the moral at the Modesto operations is grim. The backbone of the operations, the hourly production employees, are treated like garbage. The salaried employees and those lucky enough to work in offices or the shiny new building get to look forward to work every day with free coffee beverages and snacks, not to mention they come in to work smiling (which MUST be nice). The hourly production employees are quarantined off and limited to certain sections of the facilities that are mostly dirty, lacking in resources and of a lower quality. For instance, behind office doors you can even find company provided eating utensils and plates. The hourly employees are allotted utensils (when stocked) as well but of a much lower quality (I’ve actually been cut by multiple spoons). Office employees get access to restrooms furnished by Restoration Hardware, where production employees are lucky if they have paper towels stocked. Most production employees have never even seen the inside of the shiny new building let alone granted access to its amenities. That is just the facility. The Modesto Bottling room has created an environment in which no employee is safe. It is one-man-for-himself as it is widely known that you can trust no soul in the plant. Management is at the mercy of an absolutely abhorrent Human Resources department in which their ONLY goal is to catch you doing something worthy of reprimanding. Rules and regulations have gotten so stringent that people dread and are afraid of working here. -

Pros

Better than average pay

Cons

Low moral, unjust treatment and terrible HR department.

March 16, 2020
The conduct you have described does not align with our corporate values and is greatly concerning. We do not condone any kind of inappropriate or discriminatory behavior within Gallo. If you would like to confidentially discuss your comments, please contact our third-party, confidential ethics hotline at 855-331-1488 or via ejgallo.ethicspoint.com.

Can be both relaxed and fast paced. Friendly co workers.

Overall good place to work. Pay is good staff and co workers are friendly. Well known establishment. Largest Winery in the world. Full time year round employment available for those who qualify and are interested. Can be stressful at times. Serious employment 24 hour business operations 7 days a week. Must be available to work any time. Business continues 24/7 rain or shine.

March 16, 2020
Thanks for sharing your feedback! We appreciate all you do. Cheers!

Pretty fun and flexible work place

Pretty fun and flexible job. Probably one of the best jobs in term of your supervisors or people always checking up on you. Definitely one of the best jobs out here.

March 16, 2020
Thanks for sharing your experience. We're listening! Cheers!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at E. & J. Gallo Winery. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

4.4Fairygodboss Score

77%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

91%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss