E. & J. Gallo Winery

Clear
4.0Pay & Benefits

E. & J. Gallo Winery insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues

This company is number 1 for a reason, they take care of their employees at all levels

Featured review

E. & J. Gallo Winery selected this as a representative review
Best place I’ve ever worked. Culture at Gallo is head and shoulders above the rest in the industry. The careers are fun and rewarding. Gallo has a great benefits program starting the day you are hired.

December 21, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It made our day. Cheers to you!

Great Company; Lots of Change

The company is a well known and established entity. There is no concern of job risk or loss due to the industry. They have a strong culture of promoting from within and giving opportunities to those who try. They are open to individuals moving to other departments to grow professionally. There is a fair amount of turn over in middle management (not uncommon in the world) and as such there was less than ideal continuity in management and career focus. On the flip side there is normally a rotation of positions open so advancement is more just a matter of time. The integration and breadth of the company also means that there are opportunities in almost every facet of a beverage production company from field management of the grapes through the end marketing, distribution, and sale of the product. The vast majority of the people I have worked with are kind, passionate, and respectable people who want to work through issues at hand and hold the organizational goals higher than their individual advancement.

Pros

Pay, benefits, opportunity

Cons

resistant to modern remote work options

April 11, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience! We appreciate all you do!

A lot of good but improvement is needed

Starting with the positives:The people are extremely friendly. They will go out of their way to help out or have a pleasant conversation. This is true for leadership of departments and C-level.. I rarely run into individuals who will only meet with me with my manager due to lack of seniority.The work/life balance is flexible. I never feel pressured to check emails or work past 5 if I prefer not to. I have been told to go home or log off when it is past 5 more than once. Working late is always by my own accord and weekend work is extremely rare. I have never been denied a PTO request nor was guilted about taking PTO as I wanted/needed. It should go without saying that this can change during large initiatives, but the work/life balance is fantastic for a regular day-to-day.Stemming from the friendly environment, Gallo is also very inclusive of all. There are tons of clubs/groups for any and all who want to participate. Free coffee is available all day. Which is always a plus.Now on to the negatives:There is a lack of accountability. My largest obstacles day to day is trying to get responses and deliverables from other teams. Escalation is rarely helpful as the lack of accountability is usually top-down. This has improved over the last year or two but still has a long way to go.The culture has shifted greatly. While some of the shift has been good, there has been a lot of bad that doesn't get acknowledged. The bad has impeded on some of the positives I have noted above. Acknowledgment would be a great first step for improving.Promotions can (and will) be gated -

Pros

Friendly People, Flexible Work/Life balance, Inclusive, Free Coffee

Cons

Lack of accountability, Lack of remote options, Gated Promotions

April 5, 2022
Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful review. I truly appreciate your feedback and would like to continue the conversation if you are open to a confidential discussion. If so, please reach out to me directly and we will get something scheduled. Thank you again for all you do and I hope to hear from you soon. Best Regards, Robert Barrios Chief Information Officer

Good Company

The job has its ups and downs. There are three shifts and management seemed good. If you like hard labor jobs, then this is a place that can give you plenty of work.

March 28, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience. Cheers!

Low stress manageable work load with set directives

I’ve been working at gallo for about 6 months & I love working here. You make great money, great benefits, great retirement plan. Union isn’t very much either. My day to day is manageable & my work load isn’t overbearing & backbreaking. The shifts are difficult at the glass facility they do rotating 12 hour shifts. So days to nights frequently & it can be tough but other then that the job is amazing. Co workers are awesome too

Pros

Pay, co workers, workload, retirement, benefits

March 28, 2022
Thanks so much for sharing your experience! We’re so glad to hear you’re enjoying your new role. Cheers!

Great Workplace For Everyone

Everything is good from pay to culture, everyone is friendly and willing to help you out. Great Company overall and I recommend it to anyone starting off with a great working mindset.

Supportive work environment, with challenges that are achievable.

I am very satisfied at Gallo. The work is challenging, and interesting. There is a good amount of autonomy and you are encouraged to think outside the box. The sense of being stretched thin is there, but it is the job and I understand the expectations of my employment. I’m happy to do the work, and feel the compensation is fair for the location. Definitely the best employer in the area. With the current economic struggles, it is great to be somewhere that is thriving.

Pros

Management, work life balance, compensation, EV charging stations, on campus park/walking trails, wine shop and discounts, employee picnic(if it comes back)

Cons

Health care costs climbing and outpacing salary increases, Need more good full time employees to meet the growth rate of the company

February 22, 2022
Thank you for your thoughtful review. We will pass your feedback along to leadership. Keep up the great work!

Productive and pleasant to be there daily.

I loved working for E&J Gallo Winery. It was like working with family everyday. Lots of opportunities and plenty of room for advancement. Your advancement depends on you and how fast you want to move up.

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, very family oriented

Cons

3 months during harvest your stuck there. No vacation time allowed unless you call off.

February 15, 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We hope you consider future opportunities with Gallo. Best of luck to you!

N/a

Working here was fun, management was helpful and though I had to start on evenings I was allowed to switch to days which made life a lot better. If you work with them they’ll work with you.

January 24, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience. Wishing you the best of luck in the future!

The Promote from within...

World class training. They Promote from Within.The opportunities are endless if you work hard and show results. I had 5 positions in 8 years with the company.

December 17, 2021
Thanks for your feedback and the 8 years you spent with us. Best of luck to you!

Fun

Fun place to work and challenges you to learn new. Some downtime in the grave shift but overall not a bad job at all. Management varies but my current manager is great

Work life balance

Work life balance is a plus but choose where you go wisely. Newer divisions are not treated like the rest of Gallo. Pay is good. Management is hit or miss but for the most part, it’s been great.

September 18, 2021
Thanks for your feedback. We appreciate all you do. Cheers!

Each area has a different culture

Meh….each area has a different work life and culture. Some areas seem amazing and some seem like they are run under the curtain. HR and middle management are shady but the actual owners and higher level management are actual cool and really care about the company and direction.

September 7, 2021
Thank you for your review and for the time you spent with Gallo. I would welcome the opportunity to connect with you regarding your feedback on HR and middle management. Please reach out via feedback@ejgallo.com and we can schedule a time and date to connect. Your feedback is important to us and we hope to hear from you soon. Best Regards,Michelle LewisVice President, Global Human Resources

Great pay at a huge cost

Very very little, if any, work/life balance. If you are not part time, company will pull the "company needs" card to force you into overtime for most days off the weeks. It is easy work but very exhausting

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Huge opportunity for advancement with time

Cons

No work/life balance, just work work work

Great professional place to learn

The tasks given are crystal clear and there is never any confusion. There is always someone to talk to if you need some form of clarification. I've never worked for a better company.

Pros

Free lunches sometimes, professional, helpful, and encouraging

Cons

Sometimes going home too early as season begins to dwindle or before it the season takes off

May 13, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Wishing you all the best!

Lies and Abandonment

When I was hired, I was promised many things that ended up not being true. I'm now with one of their distributors and feel like I was abandoned at sea without any help in sight. They've forgotten about me not only as an employee, but also as a person. I have never felt so lost at a job and continually have my feelings neglected and keep being told, "we've all had to go through this." I am now struggling with anxiety and possibly depression due to their negligence and lack of understanding as I had to leave behind all my friends and family for this job opportunity in the middle of a pandemic. I highly recommend you look elsewhere for that "great Fortune 500" job you dreamed of getting out of college.

Pros

Cons

Poor communication, lying

March 23, 2021
Your review greatly concerns us. We encourage you to contact your employer, Breakthru Beverage’s, HR Department or Ethics Line. If you would prefer, you can also reach out to me directly. I know it’s been a challenge working through the pandemic. Best Regards, Alison JerdenSr. Director, Human Resources

Productive and fun working with this company

Productive fun working with this company and with people and I learn a lot level 5 always willing to help me every thing that I need to know about the jobs that i do

Pros

Free lunches sometimes

Cons

2 times at 15 minutes break 30 minutes lunch at 8 hours shift

November 16, 2020
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We are so glad to hear that you are happy. Keep up the great work!

Worst place to work!

During this whole covid 19 fiasco this company does not work well with people who have breathing problems. They harass people and they don’t care the amount of stress they put on us workers. Do not work here!

Cons

Every single aspect of the company

August 24, 2020
The conduct you have described does not align with our corporate values and is greatly concerning. If you would like to confidentially discuss your comments, please contact our third-party, confidential ethics hotline at 855-331-1488 or via ejgallo.ethicspoint.com. Thanks,Susan HensleyVice President, Human Resources

Family

its a very family friendly environment Great people to work forGreat work life balance great working conditions Great training to help advancement

Pros

training

August 9, 2020
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate all you do for Gallo. Cheers to you!

Lab Assistant

Overall great company. Enjoyed my time there. I felt accomplished after every shift. They were willing to teach me the job. I enjoyed the people I worked with, was never a dull moment a Gallo.

Pros

Coworkers, pay, benefits

Cons

Seasonal work

August 9, 2020
Thanks for your feedback and we hope you consider Gallo in the future. Best of luck to you!

Watch out for the other guy trying to bring you down.

Worked there for 3 years and thought I would retire from the company. There is always someone in a company that does less then everyone and acts like he does it all. I was treated unfairly and even at times inappropriate jokes were made about my culture and religious beliefs. I was even injured on the job and made to feel like I was lying about my injuries. Amazing pay and benefits...lots of overtime.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at E. & J. Gallo Winery. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

4.4Fairygodboss Score

77%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

91%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss