ESL Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Is a great place to work
Teller II Spanish Biligual (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 19, 2018
Very friendly , everyone very nice and always saying good morning to eac others , great benefits we help our community , always listen to our customers feedback and our employees as well.
great place to work
Telephone Banker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 6, 2018
I enjoyed the years that I worked at esl. I will take all that I learned with me.
I worked in a fast paced call center. I learned to multi task to take care of many customers issues at once.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Teller was good starter job.
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 4, 2018
Learned a great deal during college while working as a teller. Developed skills dealing with people as well as professionally in a highly regulated environment.
Great place to work!
MSR (Former Employee) –  Brighton, NYSeptember 24, 2017
ESL is a great place to work! Pay is good, benefits are great, your customers and coworkers are fun to be around. They have the best corporate culture of any employer I have worked for and invest in there employees. There is not a lot of opportunity to move up with the company because people just don't leave their positions unless they are retiring.
Pros
Holiday Party
Cons
Career Advancement
Fun place to work
Bank Teller/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 16, 2017
Working in the company is like a home with very capable management and helpful and experienced coworkers. Flexible time and opportunities to grow with necessary tools for efficient workflow available to all employee.
great knowledge learned
Telephone Banker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 21, 2017
I enjoyed working at ESL FCU! The training was demanding but good the culture was good. The hardest part of the job was the aggressive sales goals monthly. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers conveniently by phone & really getting to know their banking needs as an individual customer.
Pros
benefits & helping people
Cons
sales goals
Energetic and Positive place to work
Teller II (Current Employee) –  Victor, NYMarch 15, 2017
Team building
Team encouragement
Room to grow
Sales training
Opportunities to learn new tasks within the branch
Cash handling
Member interactions
Positive and fun place to work
A lot of great people to work with
Help Desk Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 20, 2016
I worked closely with many different areas within ESL and there were a lot of people that were always friendly and hard workers.
Pros
ESL had a lot of surveys for their employees to provide feedback
Cons
Employee accounts available for staff to view
A decent place to work
Senior Data Architect/DBA (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 24, 2016
The culture at ESL is very difficult to become a part of. Management does not document expectations. Good learning environment. very good and friendly peers,
Great Place to Work
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 15, 2016
Great company to work for. They provide great benefits that start right away. With the exception of having to work most Saturdays there isn't much else to dislike.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Work Saturdays

Want to know more about ESL Federal Credit Union?

Ask a question
Not a bad place to work for some but not a "great place to work" for others
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 2, 2016
My co-workers were nice, hardworking/overworked people for the most part. Many long-term employees in some positions (25+ year tenure not uncommon) but high turnover in others.
Pros
New building, very pleasant surroundings, free downtown parking. Decent compensation, annual profit sharing/bonus to all employees. Many social/company events for employee involvement.
Cons
A know-your-role culture for Executive Assistants, EAs are not members of the team they support, EAs are categorized as a 'service' reporting to a manager of facility services, Treated as 'service' both outwardly and clandestinely, Expectation that EA be submissive and happy to be so
Looks good from the outside
Back Office (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 14, 2016
Benefits and pay are good. Management is lackluster at best. Promotions given to unqualified people who brown noes the right Sr. Management. Buyer beware, things are not always what they seem.
“Stay away, ESL is changing for the worse. ”
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 11, 2015
Well, where do I start. I left a good job at another place to come work here. I thought there would be a good opportunity but boy was I wrong. The management at ESL is very cutthroat and people are always being fired or leaving. They don't understand that many of their managers and supervisors are really over their heads and do not have actual management skills. I unfortunately got one of those managers supervisors. I guess it is a lesson learned.
Pros
Downtown and indoor parking
Cons
Managemnet is poor. ESL can not keep help and they do not care. Like no one is in control.
Titanic - “Sinking ship ”
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 4, 2015
Horrible pay and leadership. They had to pay an outside company big bucks to come in and say 3/4 of the people were way under paid. Then they gave you a measly raise. Also those who did not do anything last year. You get promoted if you are part of the clicks if not you were over looked. The HR department has the most mangers of any other section though they have no subordinates and do the least amount of work. ESL has so many managers its a joke. Like Kodak use to be. You wonder what they all do? It's very sad people are fired randomly for looking the wrong way. Even management has become a revolving door. Things are not what they used to be. It's very reminiscent of Auschwitz concentration camp. Run like North Korea.
Pros
Not many. ESL has become a horrible place to work.
Cons
Give promotions to people based on merit not on who they are friends with or related to.
ESL Federal Credit Union
Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 26, 2015
Its banking only different. Member and employee focused is the theory behind the company. I enjoyed the people I worked with. Was not fond of the corporate structure and the constant meetings to review, recommend and approve things that needed to be done. Everyone had to have a say in the process. Thus slowing projects and increasing timelines. You could not do much without having a meeting to discuss it over and over again. Trying to add headcount to front-line staff needs was nearly impossible. Benefits were great. They have a 401k, pension plan and yearly bonus for all employees if the company achieved it's goals.
good
Teller (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 2, 2015
It was a good company to work for. They have good Benefits, and really care for the employees. good working experience, and some of the best team members.
"Great People" Exiting In large Numbers- Voluntary or Involuntary
Manager (Former Employee) –  RochesterOctober 31, 2014
Many great employees quitting or getting fired daily. Lots of very special and wonderful employes being put in the street from stress, goals, politics, backstabbing and poor management. Wonderful sense of shoving products down customers throats that are not needed as well as striving for what is wrong for the customer so you can keep your job. A culture like no other that is sick to the core. ESL is at every job fair begging for workers. I wonder why?. This is what makes ESL so special.
Great People
Senior Deposit Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 26, 2014
What makes ESL special is the people, a wonderful sense of taking care of others and striving for what's right for customers.
Nightmare
Teller (Former Employee) –  RochesterOctober 17, 2014
They don't care about anything but sales sales sales... Too much pressure to meet sales goals, all they want is sales no matter how you do it.. I will never recommend anyone to work for ESL. I am ashamed of the working conditions. I went into this job with a high level of self-motivation and proven high performing sales ability. Every bit of your day is micromanaged as they suck every bit of sales out of you as possible. There is no longer any room for any intrinsic sales motivation, other than saving your job.
Too much politics of management. Management cares nothing about their employees. If you like sales and selling product to customers who don't need them with little recognition then this is your job. You will also need a friend or relative in a high position or kiss butt big time or you will have no future here.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
sales goals - pressure - no future - little recognition
““Leadership catastrophe ”"
Home Equity Closing Representative (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 25, 2014
ESL is falling apart at the seams. The "happy" culture they promote is fake. CEO is out for himself and that permeates the whole organization. He is a bully that is not capable of listening or leading a credit union How he ever got this position is a great question? As soon as someone has a different idea than his, that person is escorted from the company. I have seen it time and time again. Management by fear. CEO is a dictator/bully and other senior people are intimidated by him. A lot of scared, spineless and angry people running the joint. Joyless place to come into every day. Like a morgue. Branches are also out of control and in turmoil. CEO Makes decisions to grow so he can lap up the attention from those in high places in the community/society. He loves the Limelight and attention. Loves to give credit union money away for recognition and personal ego building. By growing too much to fast chaos ensues and it is happening as I speak at ESL. Because of the fear culture and the chaos from growing too fast, everyone plays the blame game. Most of top execs are not qualified to run a bank this size. Ditto for the board of directors. Amateur hour.Total unorganization with leadership that can not lead or manage in branches or back office. ESL has a very long list of outstanding leaders/employees who have been let go for no reason and with no notice. Especially the CFO who was walked out last year. Not a way to run an organization. Its the CEO that has created this environment. Time to retire MR CEO.. What a work place you have created at ESL. You should be ashamed of yourself.  more... You are a heartless piece of work. You just do not care about your workers or Members. Its all about you.  less
Pros
Senior management pumps you up with motivational fluffery and a few peanuts.
Cons
Goals, Stress, No Leadership, Sick Culture, Dictatorship, High Turnover, Spineless managers with no ambition to get ahead, Employees treated as disposible trash

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ESL Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

ESL Federal Credit Union Reviews by Location