East-West Center Employee Reviews

Prestigious Institute
Program Fellow (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 12, 2018
The center is an admirable place to learn about various issues from political to historical that benefit both US and Asia relations. I highly recommend it to academics.
Friendly place to work
Housing Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 15, 2018
I learned a great deal about how an office works in addition to my normal work duties. the hardest part of the job for me was learning some of the computer programs. the most enjoyable was the satisfaction i got when my work was done.
Fun learning environment
Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 22, 2018
Working at East-West Center taught me a lot of skills that I can apply to everyday living. From building maintenance to grounds keeping work, all of these were very helpful to anyone.
Great foundation, but with lack of further advancement
Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 28, 2017
I have largely enjoyed my time working at the East-West Center. It has been a great first job experience and has proven to me that my interests do indeed lie within the education and public diplomacy field. I have great and passionate colleagues and have been able to improve my communication skills. Furthermore, I am glad that here we are free to pursue our own interests and projects when we have time and that self-starter-ship is encouraged.

However, over the past year it has come to my attention that there are many things that could be improved upon in the workplace culture, particularly at our home office in Honolulu (I am based at the same DC office). Our office, despite increasingly becoming the face of the organization given its location on the US mainland, is often passed over for budgetary considerations. As a result, our salaries remain extremely low relative to our experience (we are started at G7 on the government scale despite all being Master's graduates who typically start with at least a G9). This also inhibits our ability to move up the hierarchy, including changing titles (we are all generically called Project Assistants which has nothing to do with what we do as a staff of 6). Additionally, the low budget that we do receive makes it difficult for us to fully implement our mission of getting our materials and personnel out into the US and Asia to further understanding and educational opportunities given the high cost of travel etc. All of this has been quite frustrating.

So, at least for the near future, the East-West Center is a great place to start
  more... out and build up your knowledge, contacts, passions, etc. But it is sadly not some place that could be a long-term job.  less
Pros
congenial work environment, interesting and diversified projects, freedom to express and act upon ideas
Cons
Extremely hard to advance, underpaid given education and experience, lack of coordination between home office in Honolulu and DC office
Great experiences for students
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 26, 2017
Nice colleagues and atmosphere;
Great to see own articles on social website;
Flexible schedule and many events to do network;
Usually at least three interns at office, so a good place to make new friends and share experiences
Pros
Nice colleagues; flexible schedule
Cons
No chance of long term career
Great work but limited capacity
Summer Research Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 5, 2015
The Washington office does a lot of interesting work on East Asia-US matters. However, it may be slow at times due to lack of work at all times.The office is very friendly and very cordial and the management is very engaging and friendly. Research-friendly.