East Carolina University Employee Reviews

Bad place to work
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCDecember 21, 2018
always on the fence about doing your job. if you were not on their favorite list made working their impossible but I understand he has now been fired. The routes were to tight to make and I did a lot of charter runs. These were not thought out before agreed to. To many charters were allowed to drink on so we had drunks on the buses and the buses were forced to to go into driveways to small for the buses. It was a bad place to work but I needed the job so I put up with the harassement.
A disappointment
Tenured (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCNovember 18, 2018
Morale is very low among the faculty. In my opinion, a lot of this is driven by increasing administrative encroachment on faculty affairs (especially in Arts and Sciences), an administration that presumes or assumes to have the disciplinary knowledge it really lacks. Also, the only thing that seems to matter is how much money a department or school can bring in. This, of course, is only one person's opinion.
Wonderful Experience for students seeking to make money while teaching on campus.
STEM Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCOctober 11, 2018
A typical day at work honestly depends on your exact campus job position at ECU.

The position I held as a Biology LA, was a wonderful experience that really helped me grow as an individual. The work environment was very good and so were the employers/coworkers, everyone went out of their way to be kind and helpful, even when you make mistakes they really helped you fix them. They enjoy helping students and give you a real appreciation for all that they do to accommodate your schedule and needs.
Pros
Clear terms and expectations, Great Work Environment
Very flexible for a student
Conference Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCOctober 8, 2018
The typical day at the office was to provide excellent customer service to the staff, students, and families were on campus, as well as service the students that lived on campus. Aside from move-in/out day, the job had a lot of downtime for students working there. it was feasible to work on school work their while performing your responsibilities at the front desk. the hours are also flexible with the staffing, so it doesn't interfere with your class schedule.
Pros
flexiblity
Cons
Decent group of PI's not the best school
Research Assistant/Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCOctober 19, 2018
Brody School of Medicine at ECU has quite a few great PI's that are consistently pushing the limits of science. The problem however is that the school is small with a poor reputation so funding is challenging to receive. In addition to this departmental conflicts have a negative impact on students and the department as a whole.
My jobs at ECU
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCSeptember 19, 2018
I had multiple jobs and East Carolina University. These jobs included: undergraduate research assistant, computer lab manager, and a resident adviser. These jobs had all specific goals that had to be met at specific deadlines. Thus, they were all time management intensive, especially when balancing school, social, and work life.
Pros
Excellent way to connect with the community
Cons
Intensive time management skills required
Productive and fulfilling experience
Writing Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJanuary 13, 2019
Working at East Carolina University allowed me to fill different roles that I normally wouldn't have had the opportunity to experience. I felt my experience there in both the autopsy suite at Vidant Medical Center and the Writing Center at Joyner Library allowed me to work at a pace which prepared me for a more strenuous workload and gave me the ability to adapt to new environments and vocations. Working as an autopsy assistant exposed me to the medical field and instilled the importance of patient confidentiality as well as the importance of cleanliness, attention to detail, and a level of care that strengthened my aptitude for precision. The writing center was a wonderful opportunity to expand on my people skills and clerical work that was extremely beneficial and solidified my ability as an office assistant.
Pros
learning experiences, new opportunities
Creative and Collaborative Place to Work
Associate Director of Space Planning (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCAugust 22, 2018
ECU is a creative and collaborative place to work with opportunities to grow professionally and academically. The faculty, staff and students challenge everyone to do and be their best. I have learned that my colleagues can be a catalyst for idea creation and subsequent implementation to better manage process improvement. The hardest part of my job is work-life balance, which is true for most people. The best part of my job is providing solutions to what appear to be impossible challenges.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Health benefits can be costly
Stressful workplace
Principal (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCAugust 8, 2018
A typical day at work was extremely stressful and dangerous. I worked with students who had severe behavior/emotional challenges in which my staff nor I were prepared for.
I learned that we needed more supports in meeting the needs of our students to ensure they were academically and personally successful.
My supervisors/directors were not involved unless a major issue came about.
The culture was family-knit but stressful.
The hardest part of the job was not being able to effectively help our students succeed.
The most enjoyable part was building relationships with my students, staff and families.
Productive and conducive for growth
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCNovember 7, 2018
Great place to work in IT. Only limitation is the state budget constraints regarding salary, departmental budgets, and training. The IT department specifically is full of bright minds. Cross-team collaboration is encouraged and happens often.
Educational
Teaching Instructor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCOctober 29, 2018
I really enjoyed my Adjunct Faculty Status after graduation. The students were ready and motivated to learn. The faculty was supportive. The administration was supportive at times.
Pros
Familiar with the system
Cons
Lack of pay and incentive to stay
n/a
Teaching Assistant, Department of Biology (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCNovember 15, 2018
It is alright. Environment can change very quickly depending on what position you hold. Never know what to expect with those students. If you enjoy a changing environment with low-decent pay then its the place for you.
An "ok" place to work.
Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCSeptember 23, 2018
Very costly insurance for family coverage.
Would not recommend for the creative at heart.
Allows some teelwork.
Lack of promotional and or advancement opportunites.
Pros
allow some telework
Cons
high cost of healthcare, generally no wage increases
Very relaxed and enjoyable
SAP Lab Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJune 27, 2018
Myself and 1-2 other TAs would spend time in a computer lab helping students with a class that all of us had already taken. My coworkers were friends I already knew and were great. The hardest part of the job was trying to ascertain how some of the students made some of the mistakes they did and how to fix them. We occasionally needed help from our supervisor, but he was almost always available and always willing to help. It was very relaxed, and it was nice to help students trying to following along in our path through our major.
Pros
slow-paced, relaxed
Cons
non
Stable
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCAugust 23, 2018
Working at East Carolina University I have been given a stable job, which I would hope to make a career. They have great benefits and, in my position, an 8-5 work schedule. The university is very large and they employ many people.
Pros
Healthcare, hours, Pto
Cons
Stressful unnecessarily at times
I do not recommend ECU's BSOM
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJune 18, 2018
I worked at ECU's Brody School of Medicine for about 3 years and I would not recommend this as a place of employment for anyone. I have heard that the main campus isn't so bad, but BSOM is in a completely different world. If you are a person of color this is probably a place that you want to avoid, until there is more diversity training set in place for management. During my time there I witnessed and experienced quite a few really uncomfortable and unfair practices that were not appropriately addressed by management. If you do decide to take a job there just be very careful and be prepared for anything.
Pros
Cost of living in Greenville, Students are great!
Cons
Issues with diversity, dont have effective support
Great Think Tank
Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCOctober 11, 2018
You will be very busy - but you will develop and have more opportunities for professional and personal growth and research than many other colleges. Management in the nursing department is effective and efficient.
Productive Work place
Student Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCNovember 23, 2018
ECU is provides a safe environment to learn and grow one's skill set. It is a place that will offer students an opportunity to join the Pirate Nation and equip them to move on or move up.
Stuent Centered Envrionment
Instructor, First Year Seminar (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCOctober 25, 2018
Student Affairs goes above and beyond to ensure students get the resources they need to be successful. For students the campus is friendly and inviting.
Low Pay
University Program Specialist/Web Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCSeptember 21, 2018
Paid way below market. The atmosphere in most departments is the top is lazy and the people paid the least do the most. Nice people along the way but poor management is the culture.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Carolina University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight