East Carolina University Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
lack of vision and resources
development officer (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJuly 2, 2018
Lack of resources to do job effectively in addition to lack of vision. Pirate Country is a special place that needs to develop core values and a clear vision for the future campaign.
Very relaxed and enjoyable
SAP Lab Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJune 27, 2018
Myself and 1-2 other TAs would spend time in a computer lab helping students with a class that all of us had already taken. My coworkers were friends I already knew and were great. The hardest part of the job was trying to ascertain how some of the students made some of the mistakes they did and how to fix them. We occasionally needed help from our supervisor, but he was almost always available and always willing to help. It was very relaxed, and it was nice to help students trying to following along in our path through our major.
Pros
slow-paced, relaxed
Cons
non
I do not recommend ECU's BSOM
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJune 18, 2018
I worked at ECU's Brody School of Medicine for about 3 years and I would not recommend this as a place of employment for anyone. I have heard that the main campus isn't so bad, but BSOM is in a completely different world. If you are a person of color this is probably a place that you want to avoid, until there is more diversity training set in place for management. During my time there I witnessed and experienced quite a few really uncomfortable and unfair practices that were not appropriately addressed by management. If you do decide to take a job there just be very careful and be prepared for anything.
Pros
Cost of living in Greenville, Students are great!
Cons
Issues with diversity, dont have effective support
Okay place to work many people use as a stepping stone
Research Assistant/Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCMay 29, 2018
ECU is an okay place with many good people but the town isn't great and many people use ECU as a stepping stone to move their career forward elsewhere
Working for ECU
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Washington, NCMay 21, 2018
Working for ECU as a tutor for afterschool programs for middle school and highschoolers was rewarding and was able to work with my friends during it but the management was not very well put together. The person in charge left 2 months in and the next man in charge had no clue on what to do with the program so the program was ended short but we finished the afterschool programs.
Pros
Flexible hours, Rewarding work
Cons
Poor Management
Relaxed
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCMay 10, 2018
This job is awesome because I can build my resume, get acquainted with professors, and learn office experience all on the same campus I go to class on.
Welcoming work place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCApril 24, 2018
Fun place to work. Flexibility. Worked well with my school schedule. They let me do some of my school work if I had finished what I needed for them. great place for students to work.
school job
Writer for The East Carolinian Newspaper (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCApril 18, 2018
This was a school job. It was fun. I am only writing this because the website is making me write this blurb. I do not feel that it is necessary to write this.
good place to work
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCMarch 22, 2018
answering telephone, working with the doctors and patients, scheduling appointments, filing medical records, coding for medical insurance filing, scheduling meetings.
Great place to work.
Voice Services (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCMarch 18, 2018
I really enjoyed my time working here as a student. Everyone is nice and there seems to be a lot of opportunity for advancement. I highly recommend working here if possible.
Lack Of Pay!
Prop Master (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCMarch 1, 2018
I get that due to a hiring freeze in the state that people weren't given raises but as soon as that ended the university made no attempts to fix those wages. ECU in some departments paid their teachers in the bottom 10% compared to other universities across the state.
Pros
Good People
Cons
No Pay
Review
Science researcher (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCMarch 1, 2018
It's okay but is isolated from RDU-Durham. The downtown is developing and it is a smaller town. ECU is a normal research institution with a small postdoctoral group.
enjoyable
Lead resident hall tours (Former Employee) –  ecuFebruary 26, 2018
overall the people that worked here were friendly and became friends with. i was allowed to pick my own hours and trading shift were easy to do. management was nice.
Fast-pace environment and fun place to work at
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCFebruary 24, 2018
My work at East Carolina University as a lab Assistant has exposed me to many key facets of running and working in a healthy, prospering business environment. In addition, it provided me with knowledge in areas such as customer service, performance management, hiring, and day-to-day administrative support.
Workplace Culture
LAB RESEARCHER (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCFebruary 22, 2018
Everyone in the College of Health and Human Performance is extremely helpful, they know you by name and they care about what happens to you in your future.
Terrible Pace to work
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCFebruary 18, 2018
Terrible place to work.

Student Affairs Management is incompetent and out only for themselves.

Poorly Run

Senior Student Affairs Senior management does not visit the departments that they manage.
Pros
Cons
Poorly run
Great people
Graduate Teaching Assistantship (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCFebruary 7, 2018
ECU is a great environment to work in. The staff are great, as well as the students. The school pays its people relatively well, and takes good care of its employees.
Great for college students
Graduate Teaching & Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCFebruary 5, 2018
I would recommend this position to anyone in college that is looking for something with flexible hours, decent pay, and still have the ability to have school breaks off.
Good for a starting place to higher education
Research technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCFebruary 2, 2018
I was personally employed for the summer project that has extended into the fall and spring semesters. I really enjoy my work and the collaborations I have with other associate professors. I learned many new biological techniques that I may have not had the chance to learn at other places. But I just need a full time career since I am personally not pursuing higher education at the moment.
Intramural Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJanuary 25, 2018
The entire campus wellness and recreational staff are like family. There are multiple events for the employees and flexible work schedule. I would recommend East Carolina to anyone.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Carolina University. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight