East Harlem Tutorial Program Employee Reviews

IT was okay
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2018
It wasn't a horrible place to work if you were full-time, which I was not. We didn't have access to a nurse when we desperately needed one. And there was a lack of guidance.
Pros
pay
Cons
not enough hours
What I learned
Program Manager, Middle School (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 22, 2018
At EHTP there was a great deal to learn from my superiors each day. I learned how to harness my leadership skills and project management. The organization overall needed to work on the work and life balance.
Pros
Professional Development
Cons
Long Hours/ Work and Life Balance
A Gem in East Harlem
Assistant Teacher for Grades K (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2018
EHTP is a great source of preparation for student and teachers alike. Staff and management in this organization demonstrate a heart and desire to create a nuturing atmosphere for students in grade and high schools alike. I enjoyed my time here, but am ready to transition into a full time role in teaching that may lead me elsewhere.
Pros
free lunches, summit meetings
Cons
n/a
Friendly and supportive team but program was poorly structured
Intern/Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2018
East Harlem Tutorial Program is a great program for the kids when it comes down to education. However, it is not fun. The activities can get boring and repetitive. The teachers you work with are supportive and helpful. Although, the overall program itself needs more structure regarding class structure as well as consistent rules for the children. Usually, there is some form of change that disappoints the students and teachers. dealing with change is normally the hardest part of the job because then the teachers responsibility is to implement the changes in which the students are not use to. This job is not hard. The kids are great as they are filled with life and joy. The most enjoyable part of working here is being able to connect and build new memories with the students.
Overall Thoughts
High School Intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 8, 2018
Safe space, learned about how to build a family in the workplace, made life-long connections with employers, as well as other co-workers, always excited to go to work when needed.
Friendly environment with a lot of diversity
General Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2016
A typical work day consists of watching and helping children through their school day. Escorting children around school and assisting with any students school work if asked.
Pros
Free lunch, becoming a role model
Cons
must have patience
Great Place to Work
Middle School Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2015
Great Agency. Central Staff works well together and has the community in which it serves in mind.
Pros
Caring Staff
mentor
Mentor/Tutor Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2014
mentored and helped children. was a very enjoyable experience.
Productive encouraging environment with young children eager to learn
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 8, 2014
I wish they were more volunteers in order to better serve the plentiful children.
Pros
Free snakcs
Productive and extremely helpful
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 30, 2013
I have worked with elementary, middle school, and High school and my experience working with the students and teachers helped me decide what kind of career I want.
Pros
Build days and professional development
Cons
short breaks
Amazing place for kids after school.
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2013
Great
really enjoyable place to work for
Great management.
Fun co-workers
Pros
meeting new people.
Cons
salary
Hard Work and Fun at the same time
Assistant Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 1, 2012
I worked at East Harlem Tutorial from 1992 through 1996. I started my association with EHTP initially as a volunteer. I was quickly recruited to work with the after-school program. During that time I became directly responsible for developing and maintaining the database for all participants aged 6-12. I also created and delivered training to volunteer tutors nightly and on weekends.

The most fun I had was during summers in the Day Camp program. I was responsible for Social Studies and Science and developed a curriculum each summer that integrated the two. My team and I ensured that the curriculum was inclusion, socially and culturally based and included fun science projects that taught our youth the environment and our responsibility to it. We incorporated important films as well that showed how the work of others helps.
Pros
great executive staff, easy hours, great compensation
Cons
6 trains is just not the best but only way to get their for brooklynites.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Harlem Tutorial Program. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2