East Tennessee Children's Hospital Employee Reviews

Horrible work/life balance
Employee (Current Employee) –  TennesseeApril 30, 2019
This company does not care about employee safety or well being. They are all about the bottom line with no regard for their hard working employees. You can present well researched information and your ideas will still not be taken into consideration. The most selfish, money grubbing company I have every worked for. The culture there is petty and resembles a junior high atmosphere with an abundance of catty, immature individuals. Expect to carry your cellphone at all times while off the clock as you will be punished in one way or another if you do not answer on your days off.
Pros
Working with the patients is very rewarding, great healthcare
Cons
Horrible work environment, Drama, terrible work/life balance.
Pleasant environment to work in
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greeneville, TNApril 16, 2019
Loved working with pediatric patients, office staff and management was great to work with, also we always had adequate staff and PRN coverage if needed
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Low salary
Management needs improvement
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 27, 2019
Personal information about employees freely told to other employees by management. Certain people get full lunch breaks while others do not. Certain people get vacations no matter when they turn them in while others do not. Management and nursing single out a certain diagnosis and do not treat them with the same respect and care as they would patients with different diagnosis causing conflict of patient care.
Pros
Wonderful patients and families to work with
Cons
Management doesn't like confrontation leaving it to staff to handle concerns/unhappy parents
na
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  TennesseeOctober 15, 2018
I enjoyed working for this company. I feel a change in leadership is necessary to allow growth and to be in line with their mission statement. They have some really carrying employees.
I loved working for Childrens. It was the most important job I have ever had.
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 10, 2018
Working in the pharmacy meant so much to me. I loved working their because I knew I was making a difference in that childs life and with the families because I was making all the childs medicine. To me that was so meaningful to me, since I wasn't working directly with child. I also would talk to the parents about certian med questions they may have. I love working in any Pharmacy because I love helping each family differently. I never was bored or dreaded going to work. Each day was a little different due to each Child is different. My favorite part was kmowing I could make the IV drip or The Oral meds for the sick child.
Pros
I Loved everything about the Pharmacy
Cons
You do hear about some children dying, However we don't get very attached.
Management is terrible and shows favoritism.
Nursing (Former Employee) –  KnoxvilleAugust 1, 2018
Management unprofessional and when this is reported nothing is done. Not the place it used to be at all ! Upper management has changed the whole atmosphere of the organization. Would not recommend as a place to work.
Pros
The kids
Cons
At one time it was a great place to work
Charge Nurse, RN (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 10, 2018
Best thing about this job is the kids! At one time this was THE place to work if you loved pediatrics. As new management and leadership came on, the vision of the hospital seemed to change.
Great place to work!
Registered nurse on second floor (Former Employee) –  TennesseeMay 13, 2018
I've been an RN at ETCH for 1.5 years and recently left after having my baby. If it weren't for the commute and being unable to switch from nightshift to days, I would still be working there. Benefits are great, the culture is great (it's a children's hospital, so most people are super nice), and the kids are awesome. My team has always made me feel safe, as there's always someone to double check with you when giving meds, or making important decisions.
Pros
benefits, culture, friendly staff
Cons
only pediatric hospital in the area
X-ray Technician/CT Technician (Former Employee) –  TennesseeApril 13, 2018
ETCH was a wonderful place to work. I enjoyed working with children and their families. Management was removed from service areas, which limited their impact.
Hospital
Patient Care Assistant (PCA) (Former Employee) –  TennesseeMarch 8, 2018
Wonderful hospital for children. They take wonderful care of all their patients. Kid friendly and safe. Staff are good too. Work can be very stressful and you never know what will happen at the hospital. But you will get the best care for your child
Excellent place to work
Systems Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  TennesseeJanuary 15, 2018
I would recommend ETCH to anyone who is needing a job in the healthcare industry. It is a good place to work and a good work environment. Some managers doesn't think things through before they implement changes but for the most part it's a great place.
Awesome place to work
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 1, 2017
One of the best work experiences that I’d ever had by far. The staff is very helpful,considerate, and caring. I would love to go back there and work in a heartbeat!!
Great work environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 17, 2017
Great nurse/pt ratio
Loved the atmosphere. Patient care and safety is the highest priority of management, rather than making a profit like a lot of hospitals
You need to be young to work at ETCH.
Medical Technologist, Generalist (FT) (Former Employee) –  TennesseeNovember 15, 2017
ETCH used to be a friendly and enjoyable place to work. It became very clear that the older employees that had worked for many years were clearly not wanted anymore and were being replaced with younger less expensive and less experienced people.
Steady Employment
CPhT Technician (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 16, 2017
Good Job, Benefits lack in you are stuck to a 403B plan instead of 401K. Things can get stressful because of pace of job but nothing is unmanageable. Management is easy to talk to and work with.
Devoted employees love what they do
Coordinator/Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 23, 2017
Culture is positive and caring. Leadership sets the tone. Employees general happy here as evidenced by low turn over. Limited opportunities for advancement.
Student
Surgical Technologist Student (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 11, 2017
I was just an unpaid student, but the atmosphere was good and every staff member took time to teach me and I really enjoyed it there. They did offer me a job but I am not able to accept it because I am moving at the end of August.
catty
Imaging Technologist (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 7, 2017
Everyone seems to dislike the newbies. The employees are cliquish and not welcoming or willing to provide help when a new person needs to be taught something. Everyone talks about each other behind the other's back.
Great Hospital..Terrible Food and Nutrition Department!
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 7, 2017
I work as a dietary aid. A few months ago, our department suffered drastic cutbacks due to financial hardship.The best workers have left and the remaining have lost all hope.The hospital in whole is a great place to work, but the kitchen needs a complete management overhaul.
Pros
Good Pay, Good Benefits
Cons
Employee turn over, lack of direction in the kitchen. Management has checked out.
Loved working here
Relief Cook (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 12, 2017
I loved working here due to the fact that I got to interact with small kids all day and they brought so much joy to my life. Working with sick children made me so thankful and made me want a career in peds.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Tennessee Children's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

East Tennessee Children's Hospital Reviews by Location