East Tennessee Children's Hospital Employee Reviews in Knoxville, TN

Poor management in our department, high stress.
Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 28, 2019
Employees afraid to talk with management when issues arise. High stress level. Good pay and benefits. Management has no clue of the issues that plague our department.
Pros
Great pay and benefits.
Cons
Management insensitive to employee needs, cultural diversity, good ole boy network. Very rarely felt listened to or appreciated.
Management needs improvement
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 27, 2019
Personal information about employees freely told to other employees by management. Certain people get full lunch breaks while others do not. Certain people get vacations no matter when they turn them in while others do not. Management and nursing single out a certain diagnosis and do not treat them with the same respect and care as they would patients with different diagnosis causing conflict of patient care.
Pros
Wonderful patients and families to work with
Cons
Management doesn't like confrontation leaving it to staff to handle concerns/unhappy parents
I loved working for Childrens. It was the most important job I have ever had.
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 10, 2018
Working in the pharmacy meant so much to me. I loved working their because I knew I was making a difference in that childs life and with the families because I was making all the childs medicine. To me that was so meaningful to me, since I wasn't working directly with child. I also would talk to the parents about certian med questions they may have. I love working in any Pharmacy because I love helping each family differently. I never was bored or dreaded going to work. Each day was a little different due to each Child is different. My favorite part was kmowing I could make the IV drip or The Oral meds for the sick child.
Pros
I Loved everything about the Pharmacy
Cons
You do hear about some children dying, However we don't get very attached.
Management is terrible and shows favoritism.
Nursing (Former Employee) –  KnoxvilleAugust 1, 2018
Management unprofessional and when this is reported nothing is done. Not the place it used to be at all ! Upper management has changed the whole atmosphere of the organization. Would not recommend as a place to work.
Pros
The kids
Cons
At one time it was a great place to work
Charge Nurse, RN (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 10, 2018
Best thing about this job is the kids! At one time this was THE place to work if you loved pediatrics. As new management and leadership came on, the vision of the hospital seemed to change.
Awesome place to work
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 1, 2017
One of the best work experiences that I’d ever had by far. The staff is very helpful,considerate, and caring. I would love to go back there and work in a heartbeat!!
Great work environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 17, 2017
Great nurse/pt ratio
Loved the atmosphere. Patient care and safety is the highest priority of management, rather than making a profit like a lot of hospitals
Steady Employment
CPhT Technician (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 16, 2017
Good Job, Benefits lack in you are stuck to a 403B plan instead of 401K. Things can get stressful because of pace of job but nothing is unmanageable. Management is easy to talk to and work with.
Devoted employees love what they do
Coordinator/Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 23, 2017
Culture is positive and caring. Leadership sets the tone. Employees general happy here as evidenced by low turn over. Limited opportunities for advancement.
Student
Surgical Technologist Student (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 11, 2017
I was just an unpaid student, but the atmosphere was good and every staff member took time to teach me and I really enjoyed it there. They did offer me a job but I am not able to accept it because I am moving at the end of August.
catty
Imaging Technologist (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 7, 2017
Everyone seems to dislike the newbies. The employees are cliquish and not welcoming or willing to provide help when a new person needs to be taught something. Everyone talks about each other behind the other's back.
Great Hospital..Terrible Food and Nutrition Department!
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 7, 2017
I work as a dietary aid. A few months ago, our department suffered drastic cutbacks due to financial hardship.The best workers have left and the remaining have lost all hope.The hospital in whole is a great place to work, but the kitchen needs a complete management overhaul.
Pros
Good Pay, Good Benefits
Cons
Employee turn over, lack of direction in the kitchen. Management has checked out.
Loved working here
Relief Cook (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 12, 2017
I loved working here due to the fact that I got to interact with small kids all day and they brought so much joy to my life. Working with sick children made me so thankful and made me want a career in peds.
Focused state of the art pediatric facility
Charge Nurse/Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 29, 2017
Fast paced neonatal/pediatric inpatient facility. Wonderful environment for nurses and nursing staff. Adequate staffing and training provides a safe effective work environment.
Pros
Adequate support staff, appropriate training, effective and approachable leadership.
Cons
difficult to get a desired schedule for nurses due to nature of staff nursing, Pay is competitive but not above average.
Job itself
Outpatient Surgery Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TN 37916April 7, 2017
It was a great place to work but it was not my type of nursing. I love kids and thought I would really enjoy working with them, however, it was too much dealing with the abused children and their parents.
Pros
Loved the people I worked with
Cons
Abused children..too many
Ótima experiência
Estagiária do departamento de lean (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 5, 2017
No ETCH tive a oportunidade de fazer parte de um projeto do departamento de lean, em que pude assistir cirurgias, conversar com enfermeiros e médicos para entender melhor sobre o dia-a-dia deles e entregar um projeto mais viável não só financeiramente, como também para os funcionários.
Requires strong teamwork and skills capable of taking care of respiratory patients
Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 14, 2017
A typical day at work for me normally consists being a Respiratory Therapist in the ED, as it is my favorite place to be in the hospital. Each day is different in the ED, and we have to be on our feet and toes at all times, never knowing the next patient that may walk through the door may be in cardiac arrest or another unfortunate situation. My workplace consists of a variety of different cultures, a big part being the hispanic population; we have wonderful interpreters to help with these families. Strong teamwork is required with skills necessary to save the lives of patients. The hardest part of my job hands down is dealing with the death of a child, after working so hard to have saved them: no one could ever prepare you for such a tragedy. On the other hand, the most rewarding part of my job is when we can save the life of a patient. One thing I have learned over the years is that children are so resilient. They can be very sick one minute, and bounce right back the next.
Pros
Great work environment and work ethics, strong teamwork
Cons
Taking care of very sick children
Excellent place to work
Network Manager, Credentialing & Enrollment (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 8, 2017
People working here really care about what they do and it shows. Respect is shown to even the lowest employees as each has an important contribution. They offer employees a lot of fun activities and employees are generally happy and contented. Low turn-over rate speaks to this.
Pros
Wonderful atmosphere, leadership and culture
Cons
Advancement from within difficult
Fun place to work
Staff Nurse - Oncology/Hematology Nurse (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 14, 2017
Great work environment and support from management. Benefits are good, but compensation I feel could be better. You also are not given many opportunities to advance and there is no recognition for continuing education.
Pros
Great supportive staff, teamwork.
Cons
Acuity at times is high, compensation
Used to be a great place to work.
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 8, 2017
Was once a great place to work. No advancement opportunity unless you are in the clique. No bonuses. No appreciation. Lunch break deducted even if you don't get to take one.
Cons
No real lunch breaks, even though you are docked for it. No advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Tennessee Children's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

East Tennessee Children's Hospital Reviews by Location