Eastern Bank Employee Reviews

Productive, and learning experience
Finance Intern (Current Employee) –  Lynn, MAApril 2, 2018
I recommend working at Eastern Bank because of the company culture and the kinds of people that work for the organization. I also, like the relationships that one is able to build within their work environment.
Pros
Employee benefits
Cons
Advancement is limited for Interns due to positions available
They pride themselves in diversity and culture. Helping community but treat their employees differently. Age discrimination, favoritism
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 31, 2018
They follow the trend to what is politically recognized instead of being true to all employees. If it is trendy they follow. They need to take care of all employee needs not just what they get attention for as racial diversity. There are others to focus on that doesn't get media attention.
Benefits
Cons
Only focus on diversity not long term employees who deserve recognition.
Typical banking job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Peabody, MAMarch 24, 2018
If you like banking then this is the job for you, there is a lot of sitting involved and you have to hustle to meet your sales goals and beat your co workers.
amazing company with positive environment
Service Associate (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 23, 2018
Great place to work with positive environment. Awesome work environment with awesome people. I really like working for my manager. No complaints, great place to start and grow.
Pros
fun people, excellent team work
Depending all who you know it can be a great place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Lynn, MAFebruary 5, 2018
I decline to speak about the company. If you do not have anything nice to say maybe I should not say anything at all. The company culture is more like a cult. Either you fit in or you don't. A place where people smile in your face and stab you in the back.
Pros
Cafe in the building
Cons
Too much to tell
Stressful and unsupportive job environment
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lynn, MAJanuary 26, 2018
Not a good company if you are looking for professional and competent managers and/or career advancement. Seniority is preferred over good job performance.
Pros
Gym
Cons
No breaks
Bank in Transition
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 9, 2018
I would not recommend someone to this company because of the transition from a small mutual bank to a large commercial bank. Technology and culture is lacking. Compensation package is not worth it.
Retail banker
Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Lynn, MAJanuary 2, 2018
I worked in retail banking at Eastern Bank for over ten years. While I loved the Bank, and I had an amazing team, I believe you really have to know the right people to advance. I watched many people get passed over due to "political" reasons. Hard work isn't rewarded with promotions and you can easily get stuck in the same role indefinitely.

As for the climate of the Bank, I would say it's a great company. The Bank appreciates their staff, and in general, most people enjoy their jobs.
Pros
Appreciated, good work/life balance, great benefits
Cons
Lack of advancement, workplace politics
I love this company
Customer Service Associate II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 18, 2017
With Eastern bank no one is a number... the company has so many resources for the employee, they truly care about "us".. it was truly one of the most positive working experiences I have ever had...
High traffic, challenging and encouraging place to work.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lynngate, Lynn MAOctober 23, 2017
Customer service oriented, team work environment.
What I like most About Eastern Bank is it`s commitment to employees and the customers as part of the same community. Working atmosphere is friendly and balanced with great emphasis on team work and common goals.
Pros
Small bank, community oriented.
Cons
Small bank, not many positions open to advance
Diversity
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  East Boston, MASeptember 12, 2017
Eastern is a great company to work for they are very diversified and help the communities their branches are in. They treat their employees very well and have excellent training do you can learn and advance in the company
Pros
Bonuses advancing to other positions
Cons
Hours
A place to grow
Customer Service Associate I (Former Employee) –  Chelsea, MASeptember 11, 2017
If you're looking for a career, Eastern Bank is a great place to be in. There are always opportunities to grow. Eastern also provides coaches that can guide you to the right path.
A Day at Work for Eastern
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Saugus, MAAugust 26, 2017
The building relation ships with customers was my success. Management kept us in the loop with changes and upgrades and had classes to help us perform better.
The daily work was easy and enjoyable.
The work place culture was that we helped each other and worked as a team always.
The customers were the most enjoyable part of the job and being able to direct them to the right products.
The most difficult part of the job was if we couldn't help a customer.
Pros
Vaction time
Cons
No room for advancement
Day-to-day
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, MAJuly 18, 2017
I have worked part time with a wonderful group of people going on two years now. I, as a Full-Time Student, working part time have had a wonderful experience with my team.
A Bank
Temp - Operational Risk Department (Former Employee) –  Lynn, MAJuly 17, 2017
Again, did not work here very long. Most employees seemed to enjoy a good work-life balance, decent compensation and a somewhat clear path forward. Thanks!
Branch Manager/VP (Current Employee) –  MAJuly 12, 2017
Eastern Bank is a good place to work. It is the largest mutually owned bank. Branches are in eastern MA and southern and sea coast NH. Eastern Bank is ranked number 1 SBA lender for many years.
Unnoticed the Majority of the Time
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsJuly 10, 2017
-A typical day at work: Assist everybody in the department and handle my 20+ direct tasks/responsibilities.
-People with seniority and upper positions look down on others and are sometimes rude.
-Management doesn't notice the hard work that people like me in administrative positions do and seem to only promote people that already hold upper positions and make good $$$.
-Great raises are for people in upper positions and again only a few cents a year to people in administrative positions.
Hopefully that changes and one day all employees are treated equally.
Benefits
Cons
Low pay for Administrative Support positions.

Comment – March 7, 2018

I want to add that the only way to advance in the company is if your manager likes you and who you know in the bank. Otherwise, you will be stuck in the same position for years. They would recognize and promote the same people that hold higher positions and give them 5%+ increases. Seniority and employees that hold top positions are preferred over hard work.

A good place to work
Consumer Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Lynn, MAJune 26, 2017
The people who work for Eastern Bank are very smart and versatile. The management team focus on cross training in all aspects of the department that you work.
Service Associate Eastern Bank
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAJune 20, 2017
Eastern Bank was able to provide knowledge of the financial field whilst still pursuing my bachelors degree in Buiness and Finance. Knowledge gained by my experience with Eastern was more than a classroom would ever be able to provide. I was able to build strong relationships with my collegeues as well customers. Throughout my time with Eastern I was able to help customers with day to day function inside the bank as well as assist with accomplishing financial team goals.
Good pay, but no worth it
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lynn, MAJune 8, 2017
Pros: Pay, opportunity to work in a fast pace business, so you are never bored.

Cons: Nepotism, unfair management, non-transparent leadership, future unsure.

Tips: Please work with your staff and stop hiring friends and family! I'll never get promoted if Person A is related to Person B.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eastern Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight