Eastern Kentucky University Employee Reviews

Staff member
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 11, 2018
The campus is beautiful and the employees are wonderful. EKU was a wonderful place to work on a day to day basis. However, the current administration made (and continues to make) decisions that are not in the best interests of the staff, faculty and students, all while padding their own pockets.
Pros
Beautiful campus, wonderful employees, relaxed
Cons
Administration, building buildings as opposed to maintaining programs and faculty & staff
Depends on what position
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 8, 2018
The position that I held was a student position and it was hard work due to the management style of the department I was in. I worked with housing residents every day and it was a creative experience. The work however was not worth the time or resources due to management not listening to ways of improvement.
Great place for a student
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 3, 2018
Loved the atmosphere while I was getting my education! The office was great and the background check took little to no time at all. As well, the pay was consistent and my co-workers were like family. :)
Great bunch of management staff
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant/facilitator (Current Employee) –  Somerset, KYApril 1, 2018
Somerset Regional Office has a very warm friendly staff to make you feel at home. Friendly staff and friendly students eager to put in hard work and dedication to their careers.
Productive and very enjoyable atmosphere
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 25, 2018
If you ever work there be prepared to work hard it's a very nice place to work bosses are friendly it's a beautiful College if you want a place to work where you can see the pleasure of you work its great I was always proud of myself after waxing a floor cleaning a room or shampooing a carpet .
Pros
Paid holidays paid vacation paid sick days
Cons
Short breaks .
Customer Service
Front Desk Clerk. New Resident Hall (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 14, 2018
Eastern Kentucky University worked around my school schedule. This position also gave me the opportunity to work on my customer service skills because i encountered residents of all cultures and personalities.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Workers calling in
Great place to work, but difficult to work full time.
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 12, 2018
Great place to work if you like students. Lots of activity. Must keep up to date with technology and be a team player. Wonderful people to work with and opportunity to grow.
Pros
Freedom to manage a classroom and work with students.
Cons
Lots of work to take home.
Student worker
Law Librarian (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 3, 2018
I loved helping students find their assignments as in helping them find their cases. I worked at the Law Library on E.K.U., campus. It always brought a big smile to my face when, the students smiled...I smiled.
Fun, helpful environment
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYFebruary 24, 2018
This job can powerfully strengthen one's math skills. The management is friendly and approachable. Coworkers are all college students. A good way to make money on the side in college.
Love working here
Budget Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYFebruary 21, 2018
I handle all finances for a department the trains students to be Interpreters of the Deaf using American Sign Language. Time off at Christmas, Thanksgiving, Holidays, etc. I love the atmosphere and the environment. I love staying busy.
Pros
Benefits, Relaxed but busy
Cons
Job Security
Great Place to Work But Not Secure for Adjuncts
Part-time Instructor of Composition (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYFebruary 20, 2018
I really liked teaching at EKU, but I was an adjunct and because of budget cuts, many adjuncts were not given new schedules. This part time job didn't pay much, but it was very rewarding and the schedule was extremely flexible.
Pros
Flexible schedule, rewarding
Cons
No benefits, no job security, low pay
Difficult Work environment
Tenured Assistant Professor of Sociology (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYFebruary 18, 2018
Professors were underpaid, had to work more than officially paid for, poor management, competitive work place culture, difficult to advance in position, students (for the most part) are the saving grace of the university.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
Poor pay, management and opportunities for advancement
A long time ago
Visiting Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYFebruary 3, 2018
I taught for one academic year as a visiting assistant professor. it was so long ago that I only remember that I enjoyed my colleagues and students a lot.
Graduate assistant
Graduate Assistant - Office of Homeland Security (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYFebruary 3, 2018
Worked as graduate assistant homeland security department and safety department.
Assisted professors, tutored students, graded papers, took attendance.
Pros
experience in field
Cons
not a permanent position
Adventure Programs
(EKU) Student (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYFebruary 1, 2018
Working for the Adventure programs was probably the best job i could have ever had while working and attending school. I would definitely recommend if you're looking for adventure.
Review
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJanuary 25, 2018
Good place work
Lots of improvements going on
Good benefits
Time off for balance and I am not sure what else to say here so I will just keep typing away.
Fabulous work place
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJanuary 25, 2018
I hate to leave it but I was a contract worker and my contract is ending. I love EKU and am saddened I have to find other employment. I would highly recommend this place for anyone who wants flexibility and team work.
Great atmosphere and people
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYJanuary 24, 2018
Although my job at EKU was not a career it was a great experience. There was a positive attitude everyday and great coworkers. There was never a negative time during my stint with the TRIS unit, everyone helped everyone else and we were given the chance to learn from our mistakes.
Pros
coworkers, system, learning lessons
Very laid back
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYJanuary 18, 2018
My boss is the bomb she is very laid back and accommodating. I have learned a lot since I have been in the position, I have become proficient with Excel and can manipulate data within the program.
Pros
Work on my own
Busy office with relaxed attitude
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYJanuary 8, 2018
A typical day at work included answering phone calls, setting up testing dates and times, proctoring of tests, data entry of students test scores or transcripts from other schools, copying, faxing, filing, creating schedules for testing dates in Excel, etc.
Pros
Got along great with coworkers
Cons
No benefits, short breaks, management changed protocol sporadically usually without telling workers