Eastern Kentucky University Employee Reviews

Summary
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYNovember 12, 2018
Was a great place to work but with the changing of President and top management value of the employees has decreased. Top management operated with the good old boys system.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Management does not value employees
Difficult management but slow-paced work
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYNovember 10, 2018
I enjoy doing the job, working as a receptionist and getting to talk and see residents. But I was often scheduled to work shifts I did not agree to and found it very difficult to get days off. I also felt like my voice was not heard because I was not considered as one of the "favorites".
Pros
Small work load, slow-paced usually
Cons
No breaks, Late shifts
Great Place to teach
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYOctober 12, 2018
I taught primarily online and it was a lot of work, but very productive. Averaging sometimes 20 students per term was challenging. The subject matter was interesting.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Budget cuts make it difficult to stay.
Productive area to enhance skills
PR Intern, Office of Regional Stewardship (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYSeptember 19, 2018
The hours are great. The different projects and work i do helps keep the job interesting and positively challenging. I am respected, treated fairly and appreciated.
Eastern Kentucky is a terrible place to work
Associate Professor of Sociology (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYSeptember 13, 2018
I basically ended my career at Eastern Kentucky University so that I would not have a stroke and die by my 63rd birthday. The environment, the lack of support, the having to wage battles for any aspect of my career, no wage increases whatsoever over eleven years, render the place a terrible work site. Some of this is due to administrative irruptions, which happen every three years; and when these happen, there is a sense of dread that hangs over the entire work environment.
Others are due to the political climate in the Commonwealth of Kentucky ( do not go there to work under any circumstances, in any Kentucky university). There is a decidedly anti academic, vocational school approach to higher education .
I was forced, at the last minute, to teach every day of the week,' classes were yanked from me and I was reassigned due to a colleague's not handling themselves well and taking a leave of absence. This disrupted any chance of collaborative research, any working with students, that I did there. The disruption that this caused my schedule, impacted negatively my performance of my responsibilities, but there was absolutely no institutional support whatsoever. Six of my colleagues over the course of four years preceded me out the door.

I worked extensively with students, mentoring them to present at academic conferences( real academic conferences, not student campus specific conferences) . My students , due to my mentorship, presented alongside graduate students and professors at regional academic conferences. I was given no credit there. Instead, Eastern Kentucky University
  more... fosters a climate of student complaint, where, instead of negotiating any issues with the professor, the aggrieved students( usually two or three, never any more) , merely go and complain to an administrator. Large student class numbers and students not interested in the topic material in specialized classes exacerbate this situation.

Careers hang by a thread predicated on a system whereby the students rate professors, that is neither a valid nor reliable manner of measuring a faculty member's actual performance in the classroom.

Unless you want to be a cop, a schoolmarm, or a nurse- it sounds like a bad version of the Village People- there really is no support whatsoever for faculty, and the administration circles like sharks, ready to pounce on the smallest perceived flaw in your performance.
DO NOT work there if you are:
1. in the social or behavioral sciences
2. in the humanities( they abolished French, and every language except Spanish)
3. thinking about an environment where you might need some support if you are early in the development of your scholarship ( they will not help you, but offer endless critiques . They will not support you unless you bring an already established agenda to the table)
Pros
fresh air when they are not building some new sports venues
Cons
see above.
Daily preparations
Adventure Programs (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYSeptember 6, 2018
Daily set up and preparation for the climbing wall included logging into a computerized system in order to log participants into the system and to easily see if they have their waivers filled out and are up to date when they come to climb.
Next we check the climbing ropes and gear to make sure the equipment is not broken or have any tears. We also check to see that we have the correct number of inventory of our equipment.
Lastly we get the climbing wall ready for participants to climb we set up necessary
Pros
Easy to get shifts covered.
Student Employment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYAugust 29, 2018
EKU provides great opportunities for student employment. Allows for a good work-life balance; studies always came first and professors were always willing to help in anyway possible.
Pros
Partial Tuition Reimbursement
Personally, the job was not for me.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYAugust 9, 2018
I started this position after my first child was born to get back out in the work force. The position was just not for me and i quickly moved on to other opportunities.
On-campus job
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYAugust 6, 2018
The job is a lot of work for very little pay, and often was not able to get as many hours as I wanted. There weren’t any benefits and not much pay at all
Pros
Free room and board
Cons
No pay
Typical day as Administrative Assistant
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT I (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 29, 2018
There is a large flow of student traffic, phone calls, emails, etc. The work can be very busy at times and kind of slow at very few other times. There is generally always something to do.
Pros
The pros of EKU are the paid time off. You get a minimum of 2 weeks vacation time, sick time, spring break, fall break, holidays, and 2 weeks off at Christmas.
Cons
Suspension of programs and budget situation has made the tension high, morale low, and department heads on edge, and the type of work can be stressful

Want to know more about Eastern Kentucky University?

Ask a question
EKU was one of my favorite places!
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 25, 2018
I loved working in he disabilities department. I gained relationships with students and was able to help them with their everyday struggles. I would do it all over if I could!
quite place to work
Custodian Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 24, 2018
i realy enjoyed seeing the students and talking to the professers i made a lot of new friends and had the opertunity to give guidance to some of the students
Pros
paid vacation days
Cons
shoveling snow
Itca
Information Technology Consultant Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 12, 2018
What I learned from working in the IT field at EKU was how to troubleshoot common problems and give feedback on how to repair these over the phone. Going into the offices and physically repairing or installing PC's and printers to wired/wireless networks.
Pros
Great working environment
Great atmosphere
Graduate Assistant (GA) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 12, 2018
Always rd enjoyed coming to work. Everyone was always so positive, helping boost morale. I was given autonomy on certain projects that forced me to think critically.
budget cuts with a lot of staff losing their jobs so administrators can keep their 6 fixure salary.
SENIOR OFFICE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYMay 22, 2018
recent budget cuts resulted in 1 staff person doing the work of 3-4 people after several positions were being eliminated all over campus. very few pay raises, very busy work but loved helping the students. benefits not so great anymore health insurance is high with little coverage. no job security there anymore.
Pros
faculty and staff friendly
Cons
low pay, very little raises if any at all, health benefits not so good
Casual Place to Work
TRAINING RESOURCE CENTER STUDENT WORKER (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYMay 22, 2018
Eastern Kentucky University is an amazing way for a student to adapt to office culture. Fun, collaborative place to work.
Low-stress.
Easy job to have when full time student
Keene Hall Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYMay 21, 2018
This job is easy all the way from training to the end. There is fixed amount of hours per student that works for the hall and its a limit of 20 hours a week at 7.25 an hour. While there is no amount of tax taken out for these workers due to being a work-study job, this is still not enough to support oneself. However, while living in dorms on campus this can help with buying dorm groceries or other simple necessities like gas or shampoo.
Pros
study while at work
Cons
just sitting there, not enough pay for living expenses
Student Work
Research Assistant and Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYMay 16, 2018
My work as a GA and Research Assistant with EKU expanded my knowledge in foundation and agency research data gathering, grants sourcing, and communications. Program graduate assistant to support EKU department staff, professors and chairs.
Fun workplace despite limitations
Information Technology Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYMay 16, 2018
Eastern Kentucky University provided me with a student worker position that allowed me to utilize my own autonomous skill set, while also providing a network of fellow workers to aid in any troubleshooting needs or lack of knowledge on my part.

However, being a student worker position, there was little room for growth or advancement.
Pros
Friendly and helpful staff
Cons
Little room for advancement
Great job
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Corbin, KYMay 15, 2018
Helped me to build rapport with students, as well as allowed me enough time to obtain my degree. I enjoyed the atmosphere, and my co workers especially.