Eastern Kentucky University Employee Reviews

Adjunct
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYFebruary 2, 2019
It is always fascinating getting to know a new group of students every semester. I can develop and teach my classes with additional collaborative supports from the department. If I didn't live so far away, I would be there everyday.
Pros
flexible
Cons
limited pay
Changing climate
Faculty/Staff Ombud (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYJanuary 28, 2019
Higher education is changing dramatically, and change can be stressful. The work is therefor challenging. University Administration is supportive during trying times.
Friendly and supportive colleagues
Department Leader (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJanuary 21, 2019
I found my coworkers to be friendly and supportive. They work in a team culture and are willing to assist you in any way possible. There are great people there who understand the challenges that others face in similar roles.
Awful
Clinical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 10, 2019
Don’t waste your time at this company! It’s a total joke! You have to do 10x the work and the pay is NOT worth it!!! Stay as far away from EKU’s clinic Bluegrass Community Health Center as you can. You’ll be nothing but miserable working there.
Pros
Time off.
Cons
Everything else
Time to make a change
Assistant Director, HRIS (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYJanuary 4, 2019
After 18 years at EKU I have learned so much and made so great friends and contacts. There have been large state budget cuts over the last several years and its really changed the campus. I feel I've made some considerable advancements to the university and in return the university has given me many opportunities to grow. I'm just at a place where I would like to make a change.
Pros
Work life balance, we get a great amount of time off.
Cons
Healthcare has greatly reduced, no longer offer annual increases
Depending on the department you worked for, it was a good place to work.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KY 40475December 11, 2018
Not all of the departments have the same type of leadership, it is based on the demeanour and style of the person in charge of the department. Most of the department heads were very reasonable to work for.
Pros
They seemed to care for the employees
Cons
One or two department heads were no very flexible with their interpersonal skills.
Great place to work.
Adjunct Professor/ Online Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYNovember 28, 2018
The management in the Criminal Justice/Homeland Security Departments at EKU are extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly. I am an Adjunct Professor in the Homeland Security Department. I taught course both online and in the classroom on campus. I learned to constantly research my courses and stay up to date on any changes. The workplace culture is very open and accepting. It could not be better.

Keeping up with research was the most challenging part of the job.

Interacting and relating to and with the students was the most enjoyable part of the job.
I only contracted for one semester
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  UnclearNovember 21, 2018
I barely have enough frame of reference to offer anything of substance. I was an adjunct instructor teaching at an offsite campus. The students were motivated and pleasant.
eku
Intramural Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYNovember 12, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of my watching and supervising sporting events. I learned that time management and leadership is important. The management was great! The hardest part was going to work if i had homework. Most enjoyable was having fun at work
Summary
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYNovember 12, 2018
Was a great place to work but with the changing of President and top management value of the employees has decreased. Top management operated with the good old boys system.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Management does not value employees
Difficult management but slow-paced work
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYNovember 10, 2018
I enjoy doing the job, working as a receptionist and getting to talk and see residents. But I was often scheduled to work shifts I did not agree to and found it very difficult to get days off. I also felt like my voice was not heard because I was not considered as one of the "favorites".
Pros
Small work load, slow-paced usually
Cons
No breaks, Late shifts
Great Place to teach
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYOctober 12, 2018
I taught primarily online and it was a lot of work, but very productive. Averaging sometimes 20 students per term was challenging. The subject matter was interesting.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Budget cuts make it difficult to stay.
Productive area to enhance skills
PR Intern, Office of Regional Stewardship (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYSeptember 19, 2018
The hours are great. The different projects and work i do helps keep the job interesting and positively challenging. I am respected, treated fairly and appreciated.
Eastern Kentucky is a terrible place to work
Associate Professor of Sociology (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYSeptember 13, 2018
I basically ended my career at Eastern Kentucky University so that I would not have a stroke and die by my 63rd birthday. The environment, the lack of support, the having to wage battles for any aspect of my career, no wage increases whatsoever over eleven years, render the place a terrible work site. Some of this is due to administrative irruptions, which happen every three years; and when these happen, there is a sense of dread that hangs over the entire work environment.
Others are due to the political climate in the Commonwealth of Kentucky ( do not go there to work under any circumstances, in any Kentucky university). There is a decidedly anti academic, vocational school approach to higher education .
I was forced, at the last minute, to teach every day of the week,' classes were yanked from me and I was reassigned due to a colleague's not handling themselves well and taking a leave of absence. This disrupted any chance of collaborative research, any working with students, that I did there. The disruption that this caused my schedule, impacted negatively my performance of my responsibilities, but there was absolutely no institutional support whatsoever. Six of my colleagues over the course of four years preceded me out the door.

I worked extensively with students, mentoring them to present at academic conferences( real academic conferences, not student campus specific conferences) . My students , due to my mentorship, presented alongside graduate students and professors at regional academic conferences. I was given no credit there. Instead, Eastern Kentucky University
  more... fosters a climate of student complaint, where, instead of negotiating any issues with the professor, the aggrieved students( usually two or three, never any more) , merely go and complain to an administrator. Large student class numbers and students not interested in the topic material in specialized classes exacerbate this situation.

Careers hang by a thread predicated on a system whereby the students rate professors, that is neither a valid nor reliable manner of measuring a faculty member's actual performance in the classroom.

Unless you want to be a cop, a schoolmarm, or a nurse- it sounds like a bad version of the Village People- there really is no support whatsoever for faculty, and the administration circles like sharks, ready to pounce on the smallest perceived flaw in your performance.
DO NOT work there if you are:
1. in the social or behavioral sciences
2. in the humanities( they abolished French, and every language except Spanish)
3. thinking about an environment where you might need some support if you are early in the development of your scholarship ( they will not help you, but offer endless critiques . They will not support you unless you bring an already established agenda to the table)
Pros
fresh air when they are not building some new sports venues
Cons
see above.
Daily preparations
Adventure Programs (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYSeptember 6, 2018
Daily set up and preparation for the climbing wall included logging into a computerized system in order to log participants into the system and to easily see if they have their waivers filled out and are up to date when they come to climb.
Next we check the climbing ropes and gear to make sure the equipment is not broken or have any tears. We also check to see that we have the correct number of inventory of our equipment.
Lastly we get the climbing wall ready for participants to climb we set up necessary
Pros
Easy to get shifts covered.
Student Employment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYAugust 29, 2018
EKU provides great opportunities for student employment. Allows for a good work-life balance; studies always came first and professors were always willing to help in anyway possible.
Pros
Partial Tuition Reimbursement
Personally, the job was not for me.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYAugust 9, 2018
I started this position after my first child was born to get back out in the work force. The position was just not for me and i quickly moved on to other opportunities.
On-campus job
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYAugust 6, 2018
The job is a lot of work for very little pay, and often was not able to get as many hours as I wanted. There weren’t any benefits and not much pay at all
Pros
Free room and board
Cons
No pay
Typical day as Administrative Assistant
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT I (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 29, 2018
There is a large flow of student traffic, phone calls, emails, etc. The work can be very busy at times and kind of slow at very few other times. There is generally always something to do.
Pros
The pros of EKU are the paid time off. You get a minimum of 2 weeks vacation time, sick time, spring break, fall break, holidays, and 2 weeks off at Christmas.
Cons
Suspension of programs and budget situation has made the tension high, morale low, and department heads on edge, and the type of work can be stressful
EKU was one of my favorite places!
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 25, 2018
I loved working in he disabilities department. I gained relationships with students and was able to help them with their everyday struggles. I would do it all over if I could!