Eastern State Hospital Employee Reviews

Great teamwork between co-workers
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Medical Lake, WASeptember 7, 2018
Overall Eastern State Hospital is a good place to work with knowledgeable staff all throughout the company. Great benefits and some overtime available.
Pros
Occaisonal free lunch and sometimes free gym
Cons
Short breaks, physical takedowns
Stressful Job
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VASeptember 6, 2018
This company is very good to work for but the people who has certain authority positions abuse them but overall a good job. But I say check them out on your own.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Mandate overtime overwhelming
Not a good place to work if not used to violent behavior from patients
Direct Support Associate III (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VASeptember 5, 2018
ESH is a state job with wonderful benefits however it is a mental institution which pay on the low end and many staff have been seriously hurt by the patients
Pros
state benefits
Cons
low pay, very high rate of being physically attacked by patients
Very fun and interactive
RN II, RN Manager I (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAAugust 20, 2018
Day consists of organized activities for residents. Management was very fun and very helpful. Made the environment easier to work in. Workplace culture was very diverse. Seeing residents excel was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Nerve wracking
INPATIENT PHARMACY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 15, 2018
Most of the positions have employees dealing face to face with patients, which as a whole isn’t a bad thing. The patients that don’t want to be admitted definitely make the days more anxiety driven.
i have worked at Eastern State Hospital for over 25 years and o enjoy my job but i am looking for a change
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAAugust 7, 2018
I enjoy working with the residents assisting them with there daily needs interacting with them learning and teaching and a daily basics, and being a team players feeling in by working extra hours or other shifts as needed. Transporting and escorting when needed. I am a people's person who loves to help.
Pros
flexible hours, health benefits
Cons
low pay grade, not enough workers
understaffed
lisence practical nurse (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJuly 29, 2018
I was really excited to be part of a state organization to help my community.I put 110%of myself into the clients we received through there intake.The organization is not what they portray. The management team,are not staff friendly,they are very demanding,and decietfull,The higher administration has rotated in and out quie a few times in my 4 yerars as a classified employee.staff is continuously overworked,you come to work not knowing if you will be going home, after your 8 hours,because of lack of employees,and there is no one to relieve you.This is a very dangerous job,and no support to help you,as the people on the front lines.
Pros
very good benifits for this area
Cons
overworked and understaffed
productive work environment
ASSEMBLY LINE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJuly 22, 2018
Productive work environment. I learned how to work as a team. Management was awesome. Workplace culture was diverse. Hardest part about the job was making quota but was also the most enjoyable part, too.
Pros
Making money
Cons
Not making enough money
Yeah Right
Counselor II/Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJune 29, 2018
If you want to get paid very little to put up with A LOT. Have fun. After being told in orientation that getting hit by patients is/was almost expected I realized this may not work for my life... THEN after having almost experienced getting attacked by a patient and having no staff assistance I left.
No Comment
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 28, 2018
Very fast paced environment. Very stressful at times. There are not a lot of opportunity for growth and the job is quite thankless. There are great benefits! UK offer excellent benefits to their employees.
Meaningful work listening to and providing pastoral care to patients and staff as needed.
Chaplain (Current Employee) –  Medical Lake, WAJune 24, 2018
A typical day at Eastern State Hospital included checking in the Supervisors of various units to see what needs of the day and schedules were for that day. Making rounds with mental health staff, talking to patients as requested, filling our chart paper work, attending staff and treatment team meetings. I learned that in order to be an effective chaplain one had to earn trust and confidence of staff and patients alike and not show favorites. The work place culture was one of helping each other out and going the extra mile in advocating for patients. The hardest part of the job was following bureaucratic rules that did not make much sense in some cases and learning to make "exceptions to the rule". The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know patients and staff in depth and earning their trust.
Pros
Lunch on campus. Pleasant work and congenial atmosphere
I Prefer not to speak freely due to a fear of losing my job.
DSA 1 (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJune 16, 2018
If I said what I really want to say, I would fear losing my job. Morale is bad. Communication is bad. There is never enough money to buy supplies. Patients are treated poorly, as if they are supposed to be "normal." This place needs to catch up with the rest of the country.
Pros
good benefits for full time employees. work can be rewarding.
Cons
terrible morale, lack of supervisor support, lack of communication between departments.
Interesting and fast paced
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 2, 2018
I can always say that every day was different. I learned something new every day. I also made lasting friendships while working there. I really can't argue!
Pros
$1 meals!
Cons
Long days
Great environment
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMay 29, 2018
great learning environment and good for those who dont need to be micromanaged. Orientation is long but much needed based onthe facility and the patients
fun place to work
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, KYMay 20, 2018
great place to work with good benefits. you have a lot of down time and your hands on with the patients night shift is the best. i would recommend this job.
Pros
downtime
Cons
at risk
I love Nursing , But the patient popualtion has changed
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMay 12, 2018
Passing medication ,transcribing orders , taking vitals signs , Assessing blood sugar . providing Pt. care and documenting . I've learn a whole lot of information . Management here has changed three times in one year . We have a variety of employees , we typically get along well with each other . The hardest part is managing each behavior individually and collectively . We have unpredictable Patients , that can be aggressive and combative . I enjoy my job , its rewarding to take care of the mentally ill .
Custodian 1 (Former Employee) –  Medical Lake, WAMay 4, 2018
I loved working there and I enjoyed helping patients and staff, great challenge's . And opportunities for advancement and great health care benefits and retirement a good union
Pros
Cafeteria is good
Cons
Great health care
Day
Physician Assistant-Certified (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 4, 2018
Give us your opinion about a typical day at work, what you learned, management, workplace culture, hardest part of the job, most enjoyable part of the job
Specialized Job Skills but paid for a minimum wage job
MHA (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KY 40511April 26, 2018
MHAs function in a specialized job and provide quality care to those in need. MHAs are paid just above minimum wage and under other jobs in similar fields.
Pros
$1 meals
Cons
Under-staffed, Overworked
Fun and exciting,
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Medical Lake, WAApril 26, 2018
Fun and exciting place to work. Varied shifts and cap on max yearly hours you can work. Must have ability to set boundaries with patients and be assertive.