Eastern Virginia Medical School Employee Reviews

Challenging yet rewarding work environment
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 29, 2019
Work requirements varied greatly from day to day depending on the nature of the patients scheduled or clinics being offered. Support staff worked well as a team, covering and assisting each other as needed. As the sole receptionist, hours were sometimes long and days stressful. Ironically, when I left they hired TWO people to replace me!
Pros
Health Insurance as well as discounts on health care within the school's facilities
Cons
Long hours - lack of assistance when other team members where also busy
Good Place to Work
Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 3, 2019
I liked working at EVMS. My coworkers were great. There was politics involved just like every where else. It is the only job I had where I was drug tested before being hired. Benefits and health insurance were great. Had to leave due to no room for advancement.
Productive work place
Student Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 22, 2019
I love working for EVMS and I plan to work here until it is time for me to retire. I have learned a lot in the 30 years that I have worked here. The majority of the people are kind and willing to help you along the way. I enjoy the fact that my bosses that I have had since starting to work here have acknowledged my work ethic and they pretty much allow me to do my job without interference.,
Pros
I love what I do at EVMS.
Cons
I live in Portsmouth and I do not like having to pay tolls to get here.
Amazing People, but horrible work/life balance
Pathology & Anatomy Instructor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 14, 2019
I love all the people there (save a few) but the people in leadership positions are driving the department and the school into the ground. They only care about promotion and if thats not what you care about then you will be forced out eventually. It could be the best institution to work at, most of the faculty are incredible, but they are stifled by the people in charge and if you care at all for the success of students you will be crushed by an unbelievable workload.
Pros
great co workers, wonderful students, great benefits
Cons
terrible leadership, no work/life balance, unrealistic expectations and workloads
Bad Company
Former Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk VAFebruary 5, 2019
I worked at one of the clinical sites. Poor Management and no support. Moral is very low in the office. They only care about patient numbers and the doctors keeping their jobs, We had an Office Supervisor that transferred over to the Portsmouth location that kept gossip flowing in the clinic and stabbed so many people in the back. We were happy she went to another location. She has connections in the HR office (a family member) and that is how she got her management job at the new location. Other departments may be okay but do not work for Family Medicine or the call center. Horrible bosses. They do not care about your personal life.
Pros
Benefits, Mon thru Firday work schedule
Cons
Management, gossip, morale
Don't Give You the Training That's Needed
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 23, 2019
I worked for EVMS for 8 days before being let go. Throughout the interview process, it was repeatedly stated that you did not need a medical background. However, after accepting the job...it was obvious that I did and in hindsight they shouldn't have taken it past the resume process because I did not have any medical background. No one wanted to take the time to train me, and thought that 4 hours of back/forth was sufficient for me to totally understand medical records. I was truly devastated, as I have never worked for a company that refused to train someone when it was obvious that person was drowning.
Pros
Good pay, nice location
Cons
Everything else
not work the time
Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 8, 2019
do not go into applying because they have their picks and its all about if they like you or not. if they like you on a personal level then you are good to go but they dont go on how you work on a professional note.
Pros
breaks
Cons
everything
Very stressful and cutthroat
MEDICAL ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 5, 2019
Its very hard to feel appreciated or safe when your manager is the reason for most of the office gossip and seems to thrive on dissension. Not professional in their job performance or conduct at times.
Horrible pay, poor management and long hours. Run away!
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  PM&R Norfolk, VANovember 14, 2018
Don’t do it! Not worth the stress for horrible pay. Practice Manager plays favorites and if you are not in the click you know it. Poorly ran office!
Pros
No weekend work.
Cons
Poor management and no pay.
Worst job experience I’ve ever had
Admin Support (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 8, 2018
I worked at the main office on Monarch Way for over a year and a half, and it was the worst experience I ever had. The leadership didn’t care to help employees grow, they instead let you fail and relished in berating employees and writing people up. From all the stress from working there, I ended up with the worst GI issues and had to miss work for procedures and appointments. I called out ONCE in my entire time there, and I got in trouble for it.
Please save yourself the trouble and don’t work in the main office. Between the catty employees, awful leadership, it’s not worth it.
Academic atmosphere, culture
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 26, 2018
I enjoyed the medical and academic setting and learned a lot while there.
A very professional workplace. A typical work day would consist of checking and answering emails.
Horrible management
Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 25, 2018
Worst management I have ever seen in my life. Office manager is not professional nor trustworthy. Employees can not trust office manager or tell her anything in confidence.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Terrible management
good job
Prior Authorization Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 24, 2018
Good place to work minus hours and work load. when you fiirst start its only 40 hours but instantly increase due to lack of staff which makes you work more hours and longer days including weekends
Pros
benefits and flexibility
Cons
workload and hours
Great phycians poor salary
Medical Assistant II/Referral Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 24, 2018
Lack of training
Lack of supervisor guidence
Lack of incentives
Poor salary
Lack of help in office
Lack of space to perform daily job duties
Lack of growth within department
Pros
Holiday pay automatic and incliment weather automatic
Cons
Short breaks for 8 hr shifts
Not a bad place to work but...
ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 23, 2018
Compared to a lot of other employers in the area, EVMS is not too bad. The benefits are great and I've had pleasant and cooperative experiences with most of my colleagues (Even people from other departments). However, the opportunities for advancement are very limited and it became discouraging watching the same people get promoted. Especially when those people consistently either knew very little about the job they were promoted to or seemed to take advantage of other's ideas and contributions. Definitely noticed that the highest positions seem to be men and that the women who've been in positions for over a decade got passed up. The company seemed to be more focused on generating more money than looking out for their students because theres so much more they could be adding to the school to benefit them but dont. Biggest complaint is if you wanted to advance somewhere else in the company, your current manager would need to approve the move and can hinder you if they want to keep you. Personally, I've received shining reviews every year and the standard pay raise but my responsibilities have definitely grown past my pay grade. Being promised a promotion and raise without follow through has only made me realize that there will never be any intention of supporting my growth and advancement here.
Pros
Vacation, Sick and Paid personal days. Insurance
Cons
Lack of advancement and poor managers
Very Poor Managment in The OB/GYN/ MFM Deptartment
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 11, 2018
While I do think EVMS is a good company to work for, I did not however enjoy working for The OB/GYN MFM department. This is the only place that I have ever encountered where a supervisor has no backbone to speak of when it comes to certain employees . This supervisor on many occasions has shown favoritism to the front desk staff for their unprofessional behavior. The supervisor would also speak badly about other people in front of you which I found very inappropriate. Said supervisor also enjoyed micro-managing everything and everyone in the department which resulted in pure chaos for everyone.
I hope things change for that department because like I stated at the beginning of my review, EVMS is a good place to work but I do believe that in order for a department to run smoothly and efficiently you have to have a good, fair supervisor that looks out for not just a few employees but the whole department.
Pros
decent pay and good benefits
Cons
Poor Managment, favortisim to lackluster employees
Unwelcoming and Unprofessional
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 14, 2018
I am normally not one to be cut throut with a company, but EVMS was a joke. There was hardly any team work. Everyone thought they were better then tthe other; along with the material that was provided very stressful environment. There were a few great people that would help me out when I asked for guidence but other than that not worth it.
Company policies
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 4, 2018
I disagree with their NO-rehire policy. I feel that this should be revised because this unfair to candidates who were served an injustice by supervisors who just were not understanding of family matters and personal ailments regarding their staff. Overall the experience was good and the physician I worked with and for was great. The pay could've been a lot higher as well having room for advancements within the company and not stagnate positions.
Pros
Physicians appreciated their staff
Cons
Low pay rate
Coworkers
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 30, 2018
The environment within EVMS billing office is very stressful and their is a lot of favoritism and disrespect to the employees. They delegate to many task and not willing to help to meet the billing criteria and will write you up for everything. The management in the billing area don't respect their employees
Internship as Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 14, 2018
Throughout my time here I learned a lot about the processes of the IRB, how to create different documents involved in the process and gained insight on creating professional relationships