Eastman Chemical Employee Reviews

Poor management; Too much work
Lab tech (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAApril 6, 2018
Poor management. Too many meetings and nothing productive was accomplished. Everyone believes they are right and will not work together as a team to get the job done. Job duties were too much for one person. Instead of hiring enough people, they would overwork multiple people by giving them two or more full time jobs to do.
Benefits
Cons
Management; Stressful work environment
Pretty laid back place to work
E&I intern (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXMarch 27, 2018
Typically the day did not consist of very much. Daily rounds at certain areas to check certain equipment. I found myself wanting to go find something to do on most days but I was limited to what I could do. I had quite a bit of knowledge about most of the equipment and how everything worked due to passed experience and quick learning and still didn't get considered for a job. Most of the people are cool, and laid back. But there was a lot of lazy folks that didn't deserve a job over me.
Pros
Pay, Safety culture
Cons
Lazy people
Premier specialty chemicals company
Technologist (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 21, 2018
A premier specialty chemicals company with an excellent growth potential opportunity as a company and for a career, requiring a total commitment and personal dependability to the company.
Pros
Good opportunity for career advancement
Cons
Unproportional salary compensation for contributions
Chemical Operator
Quality First Operator (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMarch 19, 2018
Ability to work as a team player in a Team Environment
Handled different types of chemicals
Performed general maintenance on spinning machines using various tools
Good opportunity and treated fairly.
Quality Assurance Representative (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TN 37660March 13, 2018
I have been working there for approximately 39 years and enjoyed my career. I held several positions within the company in Kingsport, TN. Experience in manufacturing, process analytics and Quality Assurance.
Pros
Opportunities, good management
Cons
Education and time was used when it came to promotion and not your actual performance.
Disappointed
Chemical Operator (Current Employee) –  KingsportMarch 11, 2018
I applied as a an entry-level chemical operator, after unsuccessful attempts at being hired in corporate . My intention was to get my foot in the door and then work my way up in the field which I have experience and bachelors degree. After being hired, I discovered that I am ineligible to even apply for any other jobs for seven years. As an operator, you are the lowest of the low. You have no choice in your assignment, they tell you what, where, when, how, and why; and expect you to like it. Moral is low in most of operations. You could work 10 years in one department and be an expert in what you do, and then be moved with no warning to entirely different job where you know nothing. Here’s a tip: just because a 22-year-old engineer has done the calculations and wants to change the process, you’re better off listening to your operator who’s been here 40 years and says it won’t work.
Benefits are above average for the area. But working conditions are poor, nepotism and cronyism is rampant, hard work and loyalty goes unrewarded. But all the rods in the office sure are patting themselves on the back. I regret hiring on. I’m looking elsewhere.
Pros
Benefits above average. Free fitness centers.
Cons
Politics. Cronyism. Hours. Work environment.
Before Eastman purchased this site it was a great place to work.
Operator (Current Employee) –  Fieldale, VAMarch 11, 2018
The work is very repetitive. Mandatory overtime is enforced too often.If your a "yes" man you would be a great fit for management here because that is exactly what upper management wants.12 hr swing shifts are hard to deal with and make doing things outside of work very difficult. The atmosphere is very stressful and the pay is the only reason most people continue to stay.
Pros
pay and 401K plan
Cons
not enough space here to list them all.
Good place to develop
Electrica (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNFebruary 20, 2018
Eastman is a good place to start your career. They are very collaborative and it is a good work environment. Stay away from political roles. Your merits are based not on your work performance but how people feel about you. If you are likable you will do well if you are technical then it isn't the best environment.
good place to work,above average pay for area.
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNFebruary 17, 2018
dependable employment.fair pay especially for area.most enjoyable part of the day was knowing you accomplished your work expectations and being appreciated by production supervisors.
Pros
pay/time off
Cons
uncaring coworkers
Had a great work out facility for employees and cafeteria
HR Representative (Former Employee) –  West Columbia, SCFebruary 15, 2018
My job was overly taxing. Not only was I responsible for everyday responsibilities as an HR Rep would be, but I did payroll for all site employees; as well as acted in a benefits liaison role for employees. Also including special projects and some employee problem resolution issues. It was a very face-paced, competitive work environment.
Pros
Employee appreciation programs were really nice
Cons
Employee/HR rep ratio was not compatible which made it hard to do quality work
Review
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNFebruary 15, 2018
Great place to work. It is with much enthusiasm that I am writing to recommend Eastman as place to work. I worked there for 6 years and enjoyed my time there.
Solid company
Packaging Design Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNFebruary 11, 2018
There is a saying within Eastman, there is a right way, a wrong way, and the Eastman way. This holds true in everything they do and everything you will do.
Good pay and decent benefits but management is poor.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Martinsville, VAFebruary 11, 2018
The pay is good and benefits are ok. Benefits are being cut every year it seems for cost reduction. Management is terrible and there are allot of managers. Too many chiefs and not enough indians... The company likes to brag about the Eatman culture but to be honest the culture is very poor. If you dont mind being treated like a number instead of a person then you might like it.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor management and culture
Good benefits Most of the people were good .
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Fieldale, VAFebruary 8, 2018
Has good jobs ins some departments
They just throw you out there. Have a high turnover. Too much mandatory overtime. Teach safety but they are just covering themselves.
Great Job
Travel Accounting Administrator (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJanuary 22, 2018
Good job with good benefits. Have enjoyed working there for 25 years and enjoy my co-workers and my job. Have learned a great deal during my tenure and will forever be thankful for my job.
nice job BUT
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Fieldale, VAJanuary 16, 2018
could not get proper training for co-workers instead it was long days of being teased and laughed at by them and being blamed for all mishaps or mistakes.
Pros
Once the job has been learned it can be a nice career with great pay
Cons
unless you know someone who works there you will not get treated well
Eastman was a great company to work for
Maintenance Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 10, 2018
I came here to work straight from college. Excellent company wonderful managers. Company was sold to DAK Americas in 2011 I currently work for DAK same location.
Overall good place to work
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Kingsport Plant siteJanuary 8, 2018
good people at this site, very knowledgeable and fun to work with always trying to get the required job done in a timely manner. Safety is at the forefront of every job.
Pros
Plenty of vacation
The Best Place to Work in the Region
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJanuary 7, 2018
This company is large and successful and always striving to be the best at what it does. It is also a coveted place to work regionally because the salary is quite high, and the benefits are well above average. In general, managers are engaged with employees and have a personal stake in the individual successes of their people. One of the greatest detriments to this otherwise outstanding company is its overabundance of upper and middle management. Directors are often so far removed from the day to day of their own departments that personnel feel abandoned. Upper management is ridiculously top heavy, which shows a lack of reasoning for a company that is striving to be competitive in a niche industry. There is also a frustrating fascination with outside consulting firms. At times, it seemed as though every problem was farmed out to expensive firms with scant knowledge of the human resources they already had at their fingertips. More reliance on the very skilled teams that were already employed by this Fortune 500 company would be a much better investment in the company's future.
No family time
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Bassett, VAJanuary 2, 2018
Work was great, the only problem i had with them is the long hours and never a day off the 3 months i worked there. Saw my daughter once out of the 3 months being there

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eastman Chemical. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight