Eataly Employee Reviews

hire pretty much anyone
SERVER TERRA (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 15, 2018
working here seemed great at first until i realized they will hire anyone that answers their ad. there was a sous chef they had just hired that didn't even know how to make a béchamel sauce and from there it all went down hill. beware of "chef" jason at terra. he can't expo for the life of him.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
terrible food for staff meal, terrible management
Good to start with
Eataly-Downtown- Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2019
A good place for young managers that just need to learn. They have great training programs. You will learn volume,food,wine and how to function in a bigger company.
Pros
Great place to learn
Cons
Low compensation
Very lively place to work. Lots of interaction with people.
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Century City, CAJune 24, 2018
The job isn't challenging enough. its got more to a working in a supermarket feel to it and you work in a food court. Pay isn't bad plus you get benefits. Only downside is you have to pay for parking. Very minimal creative freedom.
Pros
Great People to work with and pay if you are a manager
Cons
Favortism in certain departments
Not a place, to Grow
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 29, 2018
I worked at this place for 2 years, I still make minimum wage and so does my coworkers. You are constantly watched and stared at by different managers and it makes it very uncomfortable to work. They are constantly firing people they don't care about their workers, only costumers. They are constantly changing and adding different rules, and sometimes they make you do jobs out of your job description. Schedules are given the day before you start work, so there is no room to make any type of plans based off your schedule, on top of that it constantly changes.
Pros
You get a paycheck
Cons
No advancement, minimum pay, less hours, overlooking managers, unsteady schedule
Poor Management and working environment
Eataly / Wine Specialist & Tasting Expert (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 7, 2019
This was not a fun place to work. There were so many things that could have been done differently. All levels of management were poor. There were no rewards for a job well done (not even a "thank you"). In down time, you were made to do tedious tasks and conversing with other employees was frowned upon.
Pros
Free lunches (like a high school cafeteria) healthcare (after 3 months of employment)
Cons
management
Its and okay job to have.
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 3, 2018
Gets very overwhelming at times. hours get cut short. People get fired easily. Lack of communication. Unruly customers. Very cultured employees. Nice staff.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
No growth
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10007December 5, 2018
If you looking for growth , this place is not for you , but if you just want to get some cash I’m your pocket and get out then go for it . Also very poor management
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Very bad management
low wage wlamart-like company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2017
they pay as low as possible, terrible gender gap in upper management, rampant harassment in the way of derogatory comments to and about female staff, purposely review staff with lower scores so they don't have to provide raises- first hand experience with this!!

And if you try to collectively argue with mangement they will simply fire everyone to prevent any kind of collective bargaining.

don't waste your time unless you are desperate for work.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 5, 2018
Eataly was a great place to work. The level of service and food is unmatched. The staff and management were amazing and I enjoyed every minute that I worked there
Pros
great discounts
Cons
stressful environment
Please take my review serious!
Guest Relations Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 7, 2018
1. Be ready to be talked to as if you’re a child by management and some customers
2. Very unorganized management, majority of staff is new and basically trying to revamp the store.
3. Very understaffed and turn over rate is beginning to rise since management is getting worse.
4. They boast about staff meal, many people have gotten sick including myself due to staff meal.
5. No real set policies. They tell you policies to follow but depending on how they feel and which manager it is, everyone does something different.
6. A lot of under the table promotions, favoritism.

Overall after working there 3 years it has changed in many ways, not for the better. If you just want a weekly check for extra money I recommend. Yet, I wouldn’t recommend for a set career. It’s not everything people boost it up to be.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Expensive insurance, understaffed, poor management
Great Job, Fun Atmosphere, just really stressful.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2018
I learned a lot at Eataly and met tons of wonderful people. My biggest gripe about Eataly is the amount of work that you do that goes unacknowledged. You work for strenuous hours with one 45 minute break. In order to get paid vacations you have to work for months just to acquire those days and even if, you never get to use them because the business is always booming so you get caught up in the flow of things. From day one you're reminded of how expendable you are which makes you not want to work there for too long. Chefs are known to talk down to you and threaten you. The work environment is brutal only if you allow it to be, so stick up for yourself. The benefits are great, just good luck finding the time to actually sign up or learn exactly what you are entitled to. I would say this though, if you prove how integral you are to the team you will be treated with respect and will have an amazing time there. Always strive for greatness and they will present you with that. Its an amazing place to grow. You learn everything from culinary school at the job and are encouraged to keep learning. My advice for entering this company is to develop some thick skin and to not let the business take advantage of you. Also the various bosses and team leaders are all super intimidating but once you get to know them, they're all super supportive and kind in their own individual way.
Pros
Vast opportunities for growth and knowledge and Benefits
Cons
Harsh environment and slight unfairness
A Job
Hostess (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 8, 2018
I just like that you get paid weekly. Besides that I am not too found of the environment for the section I worked in when it came to leads and management.
The job is what you make it
Runner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 20, 2018
I honestly loved going to the job if I worked a morning shift, because it’s the morning and the restaurant side does not open u til 11 am and work does not pick up until 1pm.
Pros
Lunch is made daily.
Cons
Manger and employee communication needs work!
Extremely unprofessional about situations.
Cook (Former Employee) –  CookFebruary 8, 2018
Extremely shady! The way they have fired people is so indecent! Favoritism is at its finest here! I also had a horrible experience with a manager trying to push me out of a door, touching me in a very inappropriate spot (lower waist) and reported it to my manager, then I had to report agaian and turned out the 1st report was never reported to HR. The HR had told me we would have a meeting about it and weeks went by and nothing happen. It was like they were trying to protect him from the situation. I had to leave for my own well being since the manager who had tried to push me made me feel so uncomfortable and upset that he did that and just got away.
Pros
Family meal and break room, lockers, some perks
Cons
Terrible management, little communication, not a way to work your way up.
Horrible
Former cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 7, 2018
They are extremely racists and will definitely slander you nothing with management is private especially the front end all around the board has no knowledge of how to treat staff or customers,underage manager is the most unreasonable and unreliable cent even sale alcohol and has no permit to do so

This environment is not safe to work entirely to many employee brawls with no real security and will definitely fire you favoritism gossiping among management and picks and chooses on promotions and leadership roles
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Bad management and favortism
not a good job working experience at all
Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2018
very unprofessional management. they also like to take advantage of people that work hard and give absolutely no recondition . i would not recommend this job for anyone looking for a place to work .
Pros
eating Italian food
Cons
low pay no management support. did not pay wages worked
Buen ambiente de trabajo solo que salario muy bajo
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Century City, CAJanuary 11, 2019
En mi posición era mucho trabajo para lo que me pagaban por lo que tenia que acomodar ala gente y andar Chequiando las cocinas constante mente que estuviera limpio
Pros
Tiene buenos beneficios
High Turnover Rate; Management only cares about overhead
Bartender (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 5, 2018
Good pay with consistent (as consistent as restaurants can be) business.

A lot of managers are young and inexperienced flown straight from Italy, promote a culture of money over people.

Expect to learn a lot about wine and food but at the end of the day, no matter the commitment, every employee is replaceable.
Pros
Food and Wine knowledge, discounted meals and grocery, co-workers, weekly pay
Cons
inexperienced management, high turnover, tip pool not evenly distributed
Fun working environment
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2018
Beautiful place to work learn about many different cultures. Cool job but establishment needs work in management department. Overall I enjoyed working for the company and growing
Pros
Very busy flexible hours
It's a paycheck
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 19, 2018
In the beginning of my Eataly career.. the management team seemed too good to be true and that is exactly the case now that I have worked there over 3 months. Most managers are stressed, have to kiss up to owners and spread negativity like a bad rash. The free lunches are questionable for your health and normal perks of working in food service do not apply. I would not recommend this job to someone who wants to work somewhere for a long time. All the good hardworking people leave because they don't feel appreciated or heard.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eataly. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight