eBay Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 1,320 reviews matching the search See all 1,647 reviews
Contract Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 23, 2019
I was there for a few months because it was a short contractproject. I enjoyed working at eBay and I learrned a lot which has helped me professionally.
great place to
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  MarylandMarch 18, 2019
I have been a database administrator for a little over 8 years, and also currently looking to make a lateral move for professional development and growth.
Fabulous company
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 14, 2019
eBay culture is diverse, with opportunities for advancement. Loved the people, culture and management. I learned a lot while there. Unfortunately, my position was a contract position, which ended.
Would love to work there again!
Pros
Free coffee, snacks and activities on site
Great work environment at home, after gaining work I will continue to do the eBay Online Auctions, I enjoy it so very much.
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa Beach, FLMarch 14, 2019
Work from home at your own pace, you will earn as much as you put into the business, I purchase items from Estate Sales then sell items on eBay, at times items are not available for purchase.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Some things sell on auction at a lesser price than is worth.
Flexible
Seller (Current Employee) –  Hemet, CAMarch 13, 2019
I was a seller on ebay. I didn't actually work for e bay. Their customer service was superior. The only thing I did not like was accumulating fee(s), that periodically escalated.
eBay
HRIS Specialist 4 (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 12, 2019
I have not been at this company for awhile but in the time I was there it was a fun and rewarding place to work. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Fast-paced, changing landscape, great designers, great team, great company
Design Lead/Design Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 11, 2019
Loved the workplace culture
Loved how the company values it's employees
Difficult job, but rewarding
Appreciated the creative output
Fun workplace and team
talented designers and copywriters and execs
Pros
Free food breakfast, lots of treats and food, great team, talented people, flexibility to work from home Fridays
Cons
Some re-orgs
Good environment to learn and grow
Senior Business Analyst/Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAMarch 6, 2019
eBay acquired our company and they did a great job of easing us into the greater group. We were allowed to keep a small company culture but with large company avenues to pursue job growth. Too bad they blew it all up.
Easy Fun Work Enviorment
Phone Sales (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMarch 6, 2019
You assist customers with online orders an track packages and help customers place orders online or transfer phone calls to the correct departments. The hardest part of the job is the timely manor you have to complete your call in.
Nice place to work
Not Applicable (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAMarch 5, 2019
Nice place to work. Good work/home life balance. Allowed to work at home which was a huge benefit. Great atmosphere and great people to work for. Management takes care of their employees
As fun as you allow
Self Employed (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 1, 2019
It could be very rewarding based on how hard and how long you would like to work. You could make a lot more money if you are willing to buy more products to resell.
Pros
Work your own hours
Cons
They constantly find ways to reduce your discounts
Fun workplace with great people and interesting projects
Product Owner (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 28, 2019
I worked at ebay for 5 years in various roles. They have a really great culture and support a great work life balance. I had the opportunity to learn new areas of the business and work with some really great people.
Pros
Great benefits and in office culture. Able to work remotely.
Cons
Indecisive/ unclear business path
A company suffering from a lack of direction
Principle Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAFebruary 27, 2019
The company is quite large, so you need to do your part to make it small. It's best to make sure you are working within a team and organization that is important to the company though that can change from one minute to the next. Also, if you don't work in San Jose, you're at a disadvantage when it comes to career development and advancement.

You also MUST HAVE visibility and a good relationship with your organization's leadership. And they must be positioned well politically and be highly visible with the company's executive leadership. If you don't have this, then you don't have job security at eBay. Period.

And working in a technical domain area can be detrimental. Many of the senior leadership only have a superficial understanding of the more technical domains. Unfortunately, that doesn't prevent them from making misguided, impactful decisions that set the company back.

On a related note, company leadership does not know how to evaluate talent. This shortcoming is an epidemic for the company and one of the main reasons why they struggle to attract and retain top talent. They reward people who are not very well thought of by their peers. People who are focused more on managing up than on execution.

Doing good work is not enough to be successful at eBay. That makes for a very untrusting and insecure culture. Nobody is sure when the next round of layoffs is coming, who will be impacted, or why certain decisions are made.

It's also becoming very bureaucratic. Executive leadership will have reviews, then organizational leadership will have another version of
  more... the same review, and then a team leader will have yet another. This pattern follows with all-hands and townhall meetings. At some point, it should occur to them that they are consuming about 10% to 20% of their organization's time preparing for and then attending repetitive reviews and meetings. The chaotic annual planning process only makes things worse. Often times the outcome of the over-engineered process is scrapped before the end of January.

In summary, eBay is more political than technical. Your relationships are more important than the work you deliver. Morale is low because the company keeps shuffling priorities and laying off people in an unpredictable manner that does not reflect their performance or contributions. And the executive leadership is blind to the fact that the company is becoming increasingly bureaucratic and less effective.
Pros
Great compensation and benefits, many great co-workers
Cons
No clear direction, inept leadership, no job security, low morale
Best workplace
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 25, 2019
A typical day at work would involve resolving trouble tickets and implementing configuration templates. Have mentors to help, if we are stuck.Most employees follow SOP's and best practices. Great place to work.
Diverse workplace with a great business model
Head of Configuration Operations, Structured Data (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 22, 2019
Potential to be a great company and really challenge Amazon. Inconsistent senior leadership creates a lot of conflicting priorities and doesn’t leverage our great assets.
Pros
Great diverse workforce
Cons
Inconsistent management
Typical work environment
Sr. Manager (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTFebruary 22, 2019
Like any company...there are challenges. You have to take the good with the bad and push through. Good company for the most part. Management tries hard.
I worked on E-bay, not for them
Independent Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 19, 2019
My overall thought about working on E-bay is simple, items I found in town I would resell for a profit. I would work my own hours from home which gave me more time for family yet I didn't have any security the way I do while I'm working for an actual company. This was a temporary fix to supplement income.
Pros
worked from home
Cons
no insurance benefits
Good work life balance but poor management
Director of Eng, Seller Marketing & Advertising (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 18, 2019
Good technologies, in demand skills, growing industry but poor top management and vision and lack of execution. Talented engineers and good work life balance
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No career growth
Seller, eBay
Seller, partsmaster924 (Current Employee) –  Home officeFebruary 14, 2019
eBay has an excellent template to earn money selling anything. I have been profitable since day one. The eBay business model is very rewarding with the reviews. Also, eBay representatives are very helpful solving customer concerns.
Remote selling from home, flexuble hours you create and make as mych as you put in.
Seller (Current Employee) –  TexasFebruary 10, 2019
I live being an Ebay seller because you get to work at your own pace from home selling whatever you want as much as you want. Also as a seller I get monthly invoices and seller hub website to view my sales, returns and overall performance details. Ebay has 24 hour customer service to assist sellers with sales, buyers, pricing and any assistance needed. The pay is amazing as you can list as many listings of items from any niche like clothes, shoes, books, art, etcetera and sell them at recommended prices Ebay sets, or your own price as well as auction- it's all your choice. I have the freedom of working with customers through messaging provided by ebay to assist a buyer with any questions they have about my product. Finally the growth you gain from selling and experience is gold.
Pros
Remote, Quick pay, Advancement and Flexibility
Cons
Shipping costs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at eBay Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight