EBSCO Industries Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
This particular location isn’t great
Supply Chain Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mason, OHApril 25, 2018
The environment for anyone in the purchasing/supply chain group is stressful. The management is extremely poor and not to mention rude. The attendance policy used to be great, they offered flex time but now they have rid the office of that and there is a very strict point system if you don’t have days covered, so employee morale went down dramatically. Very sales oriented place as well. If you aren’t in sales, you won’t get to reap any of the ‘office benefits’ such as commission when making a large sale. It’s a casual place to work dress code wise, however, which is nice.
Pros
Food truck sometimes, free lunches when someone retires or leaves, employee sales
Cons
Constantly watched, management
Ebsco
Database Engineer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 16, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of stand up, coding, e-mail, ect. I learned about audiobooks, SQL Server 2016, and the reporting applications for the DRS team. I also learned a lot about Amazon. I worked with some nice people there, but others were not so nice. There were some shady business practices going on. Somebody used my personal amazon account to fund their research. I was apalled.
Hateful Managers
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 28, 2018
Two of the managers that I had were extremely hateful. They also allowed "favorite employees" to sleep at their desk while clocked in while us others had to take in all the work.
Easy schedule with school
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta North, GAJanuary 30, 2018
This job was great with my school schedule as well as my weekend job. Calling isn't fun, but the commission system was great for anyone willing to put in effort.
Summary
SAP BW/BI Developer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 23, 2018
Give us your opinion about
.a typical day at work
. what you learned
.management
.workplace culture
.the hardest part of the job
.the most enjoyable part of the job.
solid company, mediocre pay, good benefits
Vice President, General Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 19, 2018
EBSCO is a well established, family owned business in the process of transition from 2nd generation to 3rd generation leadership.Many of their recent and upcoming decisions are largely based on re-positioning assets to potentially higher areas of return on investment.
Pros
family owned, stable
Cons
leadership transition, some consolidation
Don't work for GVM
Undisclosed (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 21, 2017
GVM seemed like a great company under the previous President. They had social gatherings for employees and people seemed to genuinely care for one another. After she, the previous president, was let go everything became competitive and people started ducking their heads to keep their jobs. The benefits are great but the environment for me became hostile. The management above me made it impossible for me to perform my job efficiently. I was yelled at and had paper and pens snatched out of my hand from management. I started off being allowed to work with sales and attended meetings. After the shift in power, and calling them out on some underhanded behavior, that became a thing of the past. Needless to say, there were some AMAZING and creative people working there but most either left or were fired. 16 employees were either fired or left on their own within 6-7 months. I'm glad I don't work there anymore.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Poor Management with no sense of accountability
Scum management
NA (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 7, 2017
I truly regret working for this company. I was personally lowballed on salary to begin with, but had decided to overlook that when considering all benefits offered. This company does not pay the national average.

Overall, management is poor, and they will lay off employees on a moments notice. VP’s refuse to take responsibilty. Culture promotes sexism and age-ism. There is a disconnect somewhere in this company, and if they don’t improve they will continue to go downhill.
Pros
Cons
High turnover, poor management
Good company to work for
Vice President / General Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 16, 2017
I enjoyed my tenure with EBSCO. It's a good company to work for.Unfortunately my division is in a dying industry centered around print advertising. Our revenue are declining annually.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Dying industry
EBSCO - held several positions
Administrative Assistant - Purchasing Tech (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 14, 2017
I worked for EBSCO for 16 years until I was laid off.

I worked in the Information Services Department, face paced, learning something new all of the time.

I was trusted with several tasks. I assisted co-worker world wide with PC and software issues.

Order software for the company worldwide.

Order computers and services for branch offices in the US.

I truly loved this job, still miss it.

My department manager were always willing to take the time to teach you in order for you to grow with the department.
Pros
Great Company
Productive Company
Senior Order Processor (Former Employee) –  Tinton Falls, NJOctober 31, 2017
My overall review of Ebsco will always be positive. A typical day started off with reviewing our accounts with our supervisor. I learned many trades at EBSCO; editing, processing, customer service and clerical work. The management was always professional. The workplace culture was very much like a family unity. The hardest part of the job was the laid off. The most enjoyable part of the job was the extensive training and being able to learn something new every single day.
Pros
Working from home, paid vacations
Cons
laid off
Better be prepared to have a brown nose for advacement
Electronic Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 24, 2017
The management is the worst I have ever encountered. It was wonderful until they merged groups and the other management team took over. It was all down hill from there. They laid off people who had worked with that company 19 years when they did this merge. The managers are very snobbish and if you don't kiss their tail they will find a way to fire you. They lie and stab you in the back for the sake of their job in a second. If you haven't been in their circle or don't kiss tail like those in the circle you won't make it. They will lie on you or about you without question. HR and upper management do not care how employees are treated. It is a privately owned company so they do as they please when they please.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
everything
Terrible Distribution Center
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Calera, ALOctober 22, 2017
Favoritism is defiantly here, and there is no possible way to advance starting at the bottom. They give you a quarter a year for a raise if your lucky. This is not a friendly environment and you never know your hours. Defiantly a job if your in need of temporary work . No respect from management either. Work here at your own risk.
Pros
Clocking out .
Cons
Everything, especially pay.
Fun place to work if you have a sense of humor
Shipper/IT/Inventory management (Current Employee) –  Trussville, ALSeptember 15, 2017
We have good teamwork and it's pretty relaxed as long as you do your job. It's team oriented so everyone helps one another out with different jobs and tasks.
I would recommend EBSCO
Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 23, 2017
I have worked for EBSCO for 10 years and I would recommend EBSCO to a friend. It is a company that will allow you to grow and move up through the ranks.
I loved working for EBSCO.
Open Source Developer II (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 16, 2017
EBSCO is the best Birmingham based company that I have ever worked for. The management is caring, the culture is warm and friendly, and the Stephens Family has been a gift to our state. I was recently laid off as part of a staff reduction and miss my colleagues dearly.
Pros
Great Culture, Great Work/life balance.
Nice job just that the commute to work very long
Agile QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, AL 35242August 12, 2017
Nice place to work, but the work environment can be very stressful. Also, for me the commute to work is at lease an hour to an hour and a half to and from work.
Is landscaping
Landscaping Laborer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 27, 2017
Ebsco is a hard job because it is landscaping and no one wants to be in the sun all day. So if you don't want to work hard I wouldn't recommend you but they do pay very good.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 20, 2017
I already reviewed this company. I only worked for them once. Great place and environment to work. The only reason I did not stay, I could not afford to live alone with the income I made.
Nice friendly place to work
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 11, 2017
A typical day is just getting your work done in a timely manner. The workplace is most enjoyable because I work around caring, loving individuals. The job is not hard, but you must be very attentive, and want to learn
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a