Eckerd Youth Alternatives Employee Reviews

Facility Nurse (Former Employee) –  Manson, NCFebruary 27, 2018
Enjoyed my time here; great support from staff and coworkers; saw a lot of kids to come in to program that really needed help; upon graduation for the kids, it was great to see how many kids turned their life around for the good.
It was a good place to work all the staffs was professional and friendly
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Okeechobee County, FLFebruary 24, 2018
I loved working for this company the pay was good and they had paid time off also the management was professional and very understanding everything was great some days was a little rough but overall I really enjoyed my years as a youth counselor at the facility
Good program to have in Louisiana
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hammond, LAJanuary 10, 2018
It was an new program in the state of Louisiana so most my time was spent in training to open the new building. The work culture was great! The managers and other leaders from the state of Florida came down and gave us inspiring stories about the agency there in Florida, where the agency was based.
Pros
Good pay good benefits
Cons
It didnt last in Louisiana
Hard working, great employees
Corporate (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLDecember 22, 2017
Difficult but rewarding work. Surrounded by hard working co-workers who have little support from corporate. Chief of Program Services south is corrupt, dishonest, and makes people uncomfortable.
Pros
Caring Staff
Cons
State Director
The traditional Eckerd philosophy changed lives and built functional families!
TEACHER/COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLDecember 3, 2017
I enjoyed my job until it was changed from supporting the Eckerd philosophy and mission which I agreed to support in the late 1970's.
Their philosophy utilized positive interaction with kids without the need of negative control techniques required by other organizations.
Pros
It was a great program until the deaths of the Eckerds.
Cons
A positive program changing adjudicated lives to be responsible, accountable youths to one supporting demerits and other negative manipulatives to control behavior.
Day in the Life of Chief
Counselor/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Floral City, FLNovember 9, 2017
If you enjoy working in a fast paced, high stress, rewarding job then this is perfect for you.
Chief is the title of the position, and chiefs are required to live 24 hours a day, five days a week with the campers. It is necessary to build coping skills, decision making skills, and close relationships with your clients in order to maintain a healthy living and working environment. The staff is unwavering supportive and growth is the goal of everyone on staff.
It is difficult at times to balance home life and work life responsibilities, as well as finding time to yourself.
However, knowing that you're making a life-long impact on at risk girls is well worth the sacrifices.
Pros
housing, free meals, close relationships with staff, healthcare and benefits
Cons
two year commitment, long hours
Stressful
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Okeechobee, FLOctober 22, 2017
Company sold out , but this was the best company I ever worked for dealing with juvenile justice.Its alot of overtime when need.Very respectful and consist
Great People to Work With
Circuit 13 (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 12, 2017
Good leaders and coworkers, who make the environment enjoyable. Continuous focus on work/life balance and staff morale while achieving outcomes for children and families.
Great organization
Eckerd Advisory Board (Former Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NCApril 25, 2017
Excellent opportunity to work for a stand out organization. I would love the chance to work more for the company now that I have graduated from college.
good coworkers
Group Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLApril 13, 2017
Enjoyed the staff I worked with. Challenging work environment. Management not consistent or supportive. Demands of job are unrealistic. Little impact on clients.
Ok
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLMarch 23, 2017
You have to Work alot of hours to make mone, the type of clients that will be dealt with is youth with serious mental health issues along with substance abuse..
Rewarding experience
Wraparound Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAFebruary 13, 2017
The wraparound facilitator (WAF) position called or an equal amount of office time and field work. The WAF worked face-to-face with the child and family in the family's home. WAF devised a plan with the family to prevent future crises in the home/school. Supervisors were very helpful when WAF received a new child case. The hardest part of the job is learning the family history and helping the child cope and progress forward from past negative occurrences. The most enjoyable part of the job was graduating a child from the program.
I enjoy working with troubled youth in an attempt to be a positive change (Hero) in their lives.
Cottage Manager (Former Employee) –  Okeechobee, FLJanuary 2, 2017
Although I love working with at risk youth, I must admit that the many positions I served under was very challenging and the work load was extremely heavy with low compensation. I believe this is the main reason why the turnover rate was so high during my years of employment. I stayed with the company for years not because of the "Great" employment but because I didn't want to be another adult who quit or walked out of these youths lives. I feel overall during my years of service with this company that in general the people were great, the trainings provided were outstanding, but the stressful amount of work that was expected from employees was way way too much and the salary was not enough for what was expected from employees.
Pros
The services being provided are very important for at risk youth.
Cons
Employees are not compensated fairly for what they are expected to do!
Productive and Rewarding place to work
Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLDecember 15, 2016
Monitoring youths progression after transitioning from treatment programs. Case file, and recommendation to courts of possible future treatment of youths.
Mismanaged
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLNovember 24, 2016
First, it will take over a month for them to get back to you for a job, if they contact you at all. Then, when you get there it's complete chaos. The turn over is very high, so no one knows what they are doing. Employees who have been around a while have a CYA attitude and nothing ever moves forward. The CEO makes a half million dollars and seems to care more about winning new government contracts than providing the best care for kids and families.
Pros
Good benefits, especially time off
Cons
Disorganized, bad management, overpaid CEO
Corporate office is toxic
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLOctober 24, 2016
Pros: Help children and families, chance to travel all over country to visit camps, some really nice people who work there Cons: CEO is greedy, long hours regardless of position, pay well below average due to being a non-profit
Productive workplace
Re Entry Secretary (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLAugust 8, 2016
Very good work experience at Eckerd Youth Alternatives, Inc.
Its a very good thing to know that we provided counseling for at-risk youth and were able to make a difference in their lives. Very enjoyable part of that job.
hard rewarding work
Counselor and teacher at Wilderness Academy (Former Employee) –  Deer Lodge, TNJune 30, 2016
company was better run when the founder was still alive it has declined in its benefits and time off.it used to be a good company. still doing good things they just don't have the work force they used to less workers with more responsibilities. why pay for four workers when one can do four peoples jobs.
Pros
free lunch, and free housing
Challenging place to work.
Nightwatch (Former Employee) –  Boomer, NCJune 20, 2016
Primarily dealt with troubled youth, was understaffed and difficult dealing with youth at times. However all coworkers at every level got along and helped when needed.
Pros
Lots of time to read when things went smooth.
Cons
Having to break up fights constantly between youth.
No Longer An Office
Licensed Clinical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 30, 2015
This is no longer an office for Eckerd, as this office has shut down (I believe the others in the state have as well for community based services)