Ecolab Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 831 reviews matching the search See all 1,147 reviews
Terrible management
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 12, 2018
Terrible leadership, worst contract engagement in my 15 year career. No checks and balances for managers/leaders...they can get away with anything; very difficult work environment across all the teams I worked with

IT is big believer in off-shore and they treat those resources poorly as well
Work /Life Balance
Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 10, 2018
No work/life balance. Hours are somewhat flexible. Compensation is very good including lots of overtime and benefits are very good. Management is helpful and supportive.
good place to work
Senior Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaJuly 6, 2018
A tlypical day of work is busy fast paced, I learned to manage work by priortizing multi-tasking, I like my workplace culture working in support of production by providing quality control service by making sure all products meet quality specifications.
You'll work and not get paid
Territory Manager/ Team Lead (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 5, 2018
You work 60+ hours a week. They don't do overtime for all the travel. Also the pay is horrible for CA its almost below minimum. Advancement is impossible to get because they don't want to pay any one money. Great stock to own.
Rigid
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 5, 2018
Company culture is very rigid and many of the employees have been there for many years.. There isn't much room for creativity or thinking outside the box. The normal workday is 8am-5pm, which is nice if you have a family.
learn a lot at the same time your worn out
Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 5, 2018
Worked a lot of hours with very little sleep. I enjoyed working with my fellow employees and other people in the company as a whole. For the type of work I did and previous experience I do believe the company had the best service available in the field I worked in but took a toll on the employees. They definitely make sure you have all the tools and training you need to be prepared for the job role you will slide into. There had to be a better way and for the sake of the employees I do hope that happens in the future. The higher ups genuinely cared for the employees. I do not doubt it in my opinion but might have forgot what it was like to be in the field day in and day out driving with sleep that averaged three hours a day if you were lucky. I left on a notice and would not count out working for the company in the future if things fell into place differently. I enjoyed servicing the accounts I had and miss the interaction I had with the management and staff in all one hundred and forty-two accounts I had.
Great co workers. Unrealistic expectations
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  NevadaJuly 3, 2018
This isn’t the worst job in the world. However, I feel there is a genuine disconnect between senior leadership and the boots on the ground. 2-3 half day meetings a month where not much is really accomplished can create unnecessary stress on tm’s and Rsm’s. Very unrealistic sales goals. Corporate accounts communicates rollouts very poorly to the customer. Stress from customers expecting you to perform instant miracles in an incredibly quick fashion. Strange charges to customers you ship directly too. Lots of barriers and too many lines of communication when trying to get fairly simple answers to questions. My dm was an absolute life saver and genuinely cares about us succeeding and doing well. Very patient and humble guy.
Pros
Company car, upward mobility, if you’re doing well a nice sense of accomplishment, good coworkers that are mostly helpful, company innovates some truly great products, decent benefits.
Cons
confusing pay system, confusing budgeting system, ecomath, insufficient training for the service side of the job, lack of support from CAM’s, unrealistic sales goals.
unknown
Infrastructure Analyst/Sr. Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJuly 3, 2018
Former employee from several years ago so my experience probably is not relatable to current company. I left Ecolab before the Nalco merger and it's my understanding that there were major changes afterwords.
Decent
Master Data Specialist Pest Division (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNJuly 2, 2018
Good managers but they are over worked. Job is complicated but there is enough resources available so you figure it out. Pay is low but the benefits are pretty good. Lot of corporate red tape holds company back form being a lot better.
Pros
Busy
Cons
Pay
One of the best companies to work for
FACILITIES SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 2, 2018
Of all the places I've worked, Ecolab is one of the best. If it weren't for my relocation I would still be working there. I found the work environment collaborative, creative, productive, rewarding, and challenging.
Lots of Hours! Promotion non-existent!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJune 30, 2018
If you like doing it all... selling, servicing, checking in with customers on past due bills and working a 60 hour work week, this is the job for you. I was up over 200% in sales in one year and never got promoted. I was handed a $25 gift card and told I needed to learn has to do installs before a promotion would be granted. Not the same company that I loved in the 90s. Beware of this job as work/life balance is horrible. Now, don’t get me wrong when I started with the company in the 90s it was great and promotions were fair. But, Ecolab changed a Sales Engineer job into a service technician job and that Engineering degree became optional.
Benefits
Cons
Long Hours, Commission and Promotion objectives change monthly.
Service specialist
Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXJune 28, 2018
No work life balance, good if you're single and older with not much to do. you are on call 24/7.

how much money made is up to you and how much work you want to do.

management can be difficult to reach since you almost never see them.

you are given a truck to run a route and you run the invoices from your phone and you get a certain amount a month. the more "jobs' you complete the higher your revenue

organizing pest treatments is probably the most difficult part

being able to work on your own and at your own schedule is the best part
Pros
Pay
Cons
no life
it was a job but temps get treated totally different.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 28, 2018
it was ok...i worked thru a temp so nothing was fair. It was juat a job. no proper training and after a couple days you're on your own. They say safety first but they don't mean it.
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
many "I'm full time" attitudes
Working at Ecolab was okay
Depot Technician (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJune 27, 2018
The environment is relax and the folks at Ecolab are friendly. I wish I wasn't a contractor I would have like working at Ecolab even more. It was my first IT job, with the exception of the low pay rate (due to being a contractor) I enjoyed working there.
Pros
Relax environment
Cons
Contractor is equal low pay
Account Manager / Meat Grinder
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 27, 2018
They have a system of having backup hires ready to go because most Account Managers only last 6 months. Play games with your "salary" and "commission". Assigned a territory, yet you are constantly pulled out to do work in other territories because that account manager quit and it takes 3 months to get the new guy up to speed. In the mean time you have to service his accounts. You will be told Account Managers are in "sales" in reality you are a service man. Your job is to repair broken machines, you are dispatched via text messages, there are no real sales involved, yet your total income is affected by company forces beyond your managers control.

Every company request is followed by "do this or else you will be fired". You are required to fix 8 machines a day, regardless if they are 1.5 hours apart. For this salary the company expects you to be on call 24/7/365. Because "they're your customers". Don't expect an increase in income if you sell more, customers will be "re-aligned" (given) to the new guy to pay for his overhead.

You will be expected to replace high voltage motors, work with highly concentrated chemicals, in mostly hot, dirty commercial kitchens all for this small salary. You will spend a lot of time driving but if you get in an accident, don't expect the company to be on your side. They will protect the company first, you'll have to deal with workers comp., insurance companies etc yourself and out of your pocket.
Pros
Direct supervisors are usually human and because they depend on you will try to treat you right.
Cons
Company first, management by intimidation, you are easily replaceable
Welcoming culture
Finance Admin Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJune 26, 2018
My overall opinion of Ecolab was very favorable. I felt welcomed when I first started and was able to join different resource groups to connect with people outside of my everyday work team.
Communication and Advancement
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 25, 2018
Currently there has been less communication for advancement and follow-up from senior management compared to previous years. The ultimate goal had become less clear and the work load has slowly been increased to the field associates. The work place culture has always been positive and encouraged. The most difficult objective to overcome in recent years has been the unclear requests from senior management to drive the overall goal and success at the field level. A typical day includes customer interaction, meetings, conflict resolution, time management adjustments for the managed team, specific/strategic sales metrics and planning for the sales team. Currently I work very closely with Human Resources on talent development and other key initiatives for the field.
Pros
Company vehicle, insurance, flexible work schedule, ability to grow income via sales growth
Cons
senior leadership communication, benefit package has declined
Small Division of a Large Company
Plant Controller (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILJune 25, 2018
I worked at Ecolab several years ago. This is a small operation of a large Fortune 500 with excellent benefits, but a small company with a small company feel.
don't work here
Pest Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 24, 2018
the worst job I've ever had. no time off at all. when you are off, you're not really off. you constantly get emails from managers, your accounts or whoever, and you must respond. the managers expect to you to do your job with no complaints no questions asked, yet we never have the supplies we need to do our jobs. if you ask them for anything, they act like it is a huge inconvenience. terrible terrible job. stay away.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Stressful high demand
Territory Manager/Route Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 24, 2018
Not in today's market keep looking high demands placed on individuals to perform. No overtime for working weekends. Being made to perform work ar nights. More resonsiblities being placed on individuals to keep cost down.
Pros
Income
Cons
Stre

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ecolab. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight