ECPI University

United States20 reviews

studentfacultyinstructoramazeteachuniversityadmissionclass

ECPI University insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

ok

not a long term job. management awful. pay is not great. i had to relocate so i was not there too long. started off good, then just fizzled out. employee turn over is rampant.

Difficult environment

It is hard to teach when the admissions office tries to get you to accept everybody (including poor English speakers) and then expects them all to be able to pass an accelerated, academically difficult program.

Pros

Co-workers

Cons

Quality of students

Educationg our future nurses is an extremely gratifying position.

Loved the role of Nursing Instructor. I taught many different subjects and performed in the role of clinical instructor as well. We went through many management changes during my time at this job, making things difficult. Overall a very nice place to work and the position of training our future nurses is an extremely gratifying one.

One should research the company before applying to work there.

The work day was excessive and I was not given much flexibility with my courses. The management was not properly communicating changes in the curriculum to me until the very last minute.

Manage by Fear

This company is for profit education. They are concerned with the bottom line only. No loyalty from management. Fear based motivation and threatening tactics used by management.

far more about money than about ethics

Poor management overall. Sketchy adherence to wage and hour laws makes one feel the job and employer are not legitimate and that faculty is not valued. Having to keep one's hours on a webclock makes one feel one is being "watched."

Pros

work remotely

Cons

changes not communicated to faculty

No place for those who seek income or advancement.

If you are career-minded, this is not the place to be. They give no training and expect you to know their software from day one. Their technology is frequently down. They are bottom line oriented and seek only to get as much out of employees as possible at the lowest possible salary. On the positive, they do seem to care about students. Internally, they call ECPI "the university of second and third chances." They admit some students who should never go to college. It is a wonderful place for military students. They seem to make the most of the experience.

Pros

You truly feel as if you are helping people.

Cons

Poor compensation. Poor training. Long work hours and expectations beyond reason.

Great starting point when transitioning into education

ECPI hired me 2 years ago based on my clinical expertise and my ability to instruct even though I did not have any formal teaching experience prior. I feel very supported by all levels of management with the items that matter most. I enjoy my job and my team at ECPI.

Unprofessional Place

Worked as an instructor here. The management was terrible. They would randomly assign classes to instructors whether they feel comfortable or not. There was no time to prepare because the terms are back to back. They had lack of resources and no money for anything.

Enjoyable place to support adult students with academic and career ambitions

Great culture and environment Student centered Management is flexible and accommodating Positive experience helping adult students move forward in academic and occupational ambitions Administration very focused on student success

Pros

Provides support to faculty

Cons

Great experience exactly how I wanted to end my nursing career helping students understand patient care

Many dedicated instructors with skills you can utilize when you need help. I learned how to develop new methods of delivery, Lecture, simulation, case study delivery of information should vary for better retention of students. Most enjoyable the students Hardest part when students were not successful

Pros

You are helping students who otherwise would not get a chance at a better life

Cons

You are helping students that do not have all skills in place necessary to be successful

Official response from ECPI University

July 18, 2017
Thank you for your review. We thank you for your commitment to the success of our students.

Difficult place to work

Poor management which promotes high turn over. Not enough time to prepare for classes. Classes run every five weeks and there is no time to prepare for the next schedule. Management does not consider staff needs especially time to prepare.

Pros

Retreat

Not a bad work environment

I worked there nearly 8 years ago, and at the time it was relaxed yet professional. I enjoyed it, but I left to pursue a full-time job at another institution.

Environment: Harsh, corse, and changing. Adversarial supervisor.

Unhealthy environment (I am speaking of my dept. only). Poor management skills, people skills, and teaching skills. If things continue as they are, in less than 5 years, the program I was in won't be there anymore. I left after only 4 months.

Pros

Terrible people skills, teaching skills, management skills

Cons

Good pay, benefits.

This is a proprietary school. It has great benefits and great challenges to improve. Faculty and Staff are great!

Classes at ECPI are 5 hours and for many years I taught 2 classes per day ending up working 15-hour days two days a week. Many students were the first in their family to go to college and it was not unusual for students to be the first in their family to finish high school. It is wonderful to see these students succeed and find a better life because of their experience. The Faculty and Staff were, for the most part, congenial, motivated, hard-working, and dedicated. I just loved the people I worked with and so many of the students as well. Management was under strict control of Virginia Beach executives and had little flexibility in what they could and couldn't do. Many were fired during my years there. It was difficult to work 8 years with the only vacation from Christmas to New Years. Nothing can take away from the joy of knowing so many students had richer and better lives because of taking psychology classes. I had been a full-time employee (Tier-2) but requested to be paid per class during my last two years as I was unhappy with administration but still devoted to students. It was a poor economic decision on my part and cost me $12k per year. I should have left but was swayed by students who were dedicated and devoted.

Pros

A chance to make a difference.

Cons

Students who were over-worked and who could have done better with shorter classes, Low pay, few benefits for instructors, few opportunities for advancement.

Intellectually stimulating, constantly reviewing the fundamentals

A day of teaching can be on one of 16 different courses from dc/ac circuits, digital design of real-life traffic light system, digital/analog communications, micro-controllers, CPU architecture and assembly programming to networking and CompTIA A+ certifications. I learn how to deal with all styles of learning and speed have to manage the varying degrees of initial competency. The hardest part of this job is to inspire tired, sometime unmotivated students. The enjoyable part is when they get it and to see their eyes shine and when they graduate to a better professional life. Colleagues range from nursing to psychology to networking from all kinds of prior work experiences. We relax and joke with some brutal humor now and then.

Good environment

Structured environment Long classes Good co-workers that are helpful

Pros

N/a

Cons

N/a

Company is student focused with friendly staff and faculty members

I have worked as a Networking Instructor since 2000. This company allowed me to take on less hours to pursue corporate training & management positions as well as contract work.

Great co-workers to work with.

Teaching is the best part of the job, however management/administration micro manages a bit, this is not typical for education, but over all everything is pretty good.

great first job

ECPI gave me my start in the professional world of Education. It was inspiring working with the other instructors there, they care SO much.

Pros

great staff

Cons

not enough pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ECPI University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare ECPI University with

Career recommendations for Instructor

Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more
  • ECPI University