ECRI Institute Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Organization driven by mission and passion for safe patient care.
Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAJune 18, 2018
It doesn't get much better than ECRI. Great work/life balance, challenging work environment, and a management team that genuinely wants to see you succeed.
Pros
Challenging work environment
Cons
No clear path to professional development or promotion.
Information Technolgy at ECRI
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAMarch 23, 2018
Software development life cycle, SDLC, industry standard that most high quality techies know and understand is very absent at ECRI. I was told at the interview that SDLC existed and was formalized but after accepting the job I discovered that SDLC simply didn't exist and was a disappointment. I wasn't able to stay at ECRI because of this. I moved on to other jobs where management understands the importance of quality SDLC and what it means to producing a quality software product.
Pros
pay, benefits, work-life balance
Cons
Middle IT mangers not up to speed on IT industry standard best practices
Patient Safety Analyst (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAFebruary 19, 2018
The company culture is mostly people 40yrs old and above. Does not seem like a place where people go out and socialize together. It may have been only my department, but that is how it appeared.
Pros
good learning opportunities
Stimulating work
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAJanuary 29, 2018
Working to assess new medical technology was a strong draw. We had a real sense that our work product was needed by ECRI's subscribers.I worked on a variety of treatments with a very smart team.
Pros
Excellent librarians
Cons
Endless work
Heart's in the right place but insists on doing everything bass-ackwards
Medical Writer, Health Devices Alerts (Current Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAJanuary 25, 2018
The company's mission is more than worthwhile--patient safety, independent research, healthcare safety and accountability, etc. But upper management has a track record of approaching a problem with a, "how we can do this the hardest/worst possible way" mentality. Teams that bring in the biggest revenue are under-paid, overworked, and subject to unnecessary, cumbersome methods. Everything is done through internet explorer, which crashes at least 10 times a day (to say nothing of the security risks). Upper management's response to complaints boils down, "you should be lucky you even have a job." The needs of many clients are sacrificed for the whims of a few, and workers are left to clean up after the fact.
Pros
Providing neutral, independent information about medical device recalls and patient safety needs
Cons
low pay, stingy benefits, low morale, lack of communication from the top
Administrative Project Coordinator - PSRQ-AS (Current Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PASeptember 26, 2017
Under my current manager I have been provided with many incentives to motivate me to increase my learning potential and pursue upward mobility in my career.
Stressful and high turnover in some groups
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PASeptember 3, 2017
Stressful and poor middle managers. No opportunity for reasonable advancement or meaningful salary increases. Staff turnover in some groups with poor management extremely high.
Pros
Flexible time per day
Cons
Stressful work; no play just hard work
nearly impossible to get thing done
DEV MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAJune 18, 2017
Very Old-School and difficult to work. once you start there your IQ drops, and anything you try to say, suggest or do must have outside consultants review. Very condescending approaches of upper management.
Gives free soda
Medical Writer/Editor (Current Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAApril 6, 2017
You get free soda, coffee, and tea. They have a lunch counter, but you have to pay out of pocket. There is a walking path in front or a walking path around office
Editor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAApril 25, 2016
A relaxed work environment at a non-profit company with a mission you can feel good about: protecting patient safety in healthcare. Unfortunately, the company's relatively small size, limited budget, essentially "flat" management structure, and presence of "entrenched" legacy employees make opportunities for advancement rare. Great place for researchers and people with clinical degrees who are looking to step out of the hospital and into the office. Despite some drawbacks, my overall experience was a positive one--a good company with good employees.
Pros
Free coffee and soda
Cons
No access to public transportation
Odd culture
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 27, 2015
The company is doing a great service for patients but its culture is very odd. People are not friendly and make no attempts to be friendly. It is easy to feel isolated even in an office of only cubes. Teams and departments are very siloed. Also, the culture seems snobbish in that you must have a graduate degree to be worthy enough to work there. If you are looking to make friends with coworkers, try someplace else.
Pros
Flexible work hours, great benefits
Cons
Poor culture
Important work being done (former employee)
Order Management Tech II (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAOctober 1, 2015
The mission is to improve health care by impartial analysis of data. Providing informed choices for health care management. Continuing to support the health care community.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
must be higher educated
Good Mission/Unique Top Management
Senior Customer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PASeptember 8, 2014
The mission of the organization and the values of the staff deliver consistent improvement on medical care delivery. Unfortunately, dictator management has a unique point of view on work production, ethics, and employees.
Pros
Nice cafeterias on each floor/Free coffee and soda
Cons
No public transportation drop off close to campus location, inflexibility to personal growth of employees
Good Entry Level Opportunity
Healthcare Technology Analyst (Current Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAJanuary 5, 2014
Good entry level opportunity, but limited growth and becoming less flexible as the company grows.
Productive Work Environment
Healthcare Technology Analyst (Current Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAAugust 10, 2013
Reviewed capital and service quotations/proposals and recommended potential cost savings based on discount histories from the ECRI Institute in-house database.
Exceptional organization at providing relevant data for hospitals and health plans to make buying or coverage policy decisions
National Sales Director / Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Akron, OhioJanuary 31, 2013
My typical work day consisted of working with my reports,follow up on lead generation and closing deals. I served in a dual role. Our sales are done either through customer visits or live meeting webinars. Our customers are hospitals, health plans, manufacturers, consultants and venture capitalists. The sales cycle is generally six months to one year. It typically involves buy-in at various levels, although our primary point of contact is the C-Suite. The most difficult part of the job was having to walk away from some business if it did not fit with our strict non conflict of interest policy. Many times the job involved collaborating with many different colleagues to close a sale; Vice President of Sales, Business Line Managers, Product Directors and others.The most enjoyable part of the job was completing the sale after months of follow up.
Pros
job directly and indirectly benefitted patients
Cons
strict conflict of interest policy could sometimes prohibit sales opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ECRI Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight