Ector County Independent School District Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Supportive and friendly environment
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJune 7, 2018
I love teaching so being at school for most of the day is very enjoyable for me. Like they say,"Enjoy your job so much it never feels like you are actually working." The school where I worked had an amazing climate! Everyone worked well together and everyone was there for the kiddos! The most enjoyable part of the job is when you see the students applying what they have learned in your classroom and seeing the pride on their little faces.
Pros
Made great life-long friends
Cons
Not always having enough time to eat.
Ecisd
Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TX 79761May 21, 2018
Great school district to work in! I design and create educational activities that promote physical, social and intellectual growth of students. Plan, develop and implement appropriate curriculum. Organize the classroom environment to enhance student learning for instructional purposes. Manage student behavior in small or large groups to establish and enforce rules and procedures of the school or classroom. Observe and evaluate student's performance and development. Use relevant technology to support and differentiate instruction. Communicate necessary information to students, colleagues, and parents regarding student progress and student needs.
Avoid at all costs
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXMay 4, 2018
Ector County ISD is mismanaged and has little community support. I wouldn't recommend it as an educator and I'm glad my children will not attend school there.
Pros
Paid time off when school is out, the coworkers make it bearable.
A good job for those that want to teach
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TX 79761March 27, 2018
Working as a substitute teacher was something different every day. Its a great job for someone wanting to teach but the pay is not very good. I enjoyed substituing and getting to know different students everyday.
Great department to work in
AVID Tutor (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TX 79762February 26, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working in the AVID Tutoring program. Training was provided so their was no fear of being unprepared. The schedules were adamant and direct and expected, which were things that I respected.
Enjoyed working with the kids.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJanuary 18, 2018
I was a substitute teacher for a little over 4 years. I enjoyed my time with the students and teachers. It takes a lot of patience’s to be a teacher.
Pros
Kids
Cons
Bad Behavior of some kids
Ecisd
Attendance Clerk (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXDecember 30, 2017
You are not compensated for the amount of work you put in. No over time just comp time and you get paid monthly. However, some employees get summers off.
Substitute teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXDecember 11, 2017
Substitute teacher is great way to make some cash when you are in college, and also gives you a peak of a teacher's schedule. It does not provide the same experience as student teaching, so do not make a career decision based on being a substitute.
Pros
flexible hours
Supportive colleagues
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXOctober 26, 2017
The other teachers at the campus where I worked were very kind and supportive. I can't say the same for the campus administration or the parents of the children who attended the school where I taught. The parents were meddlesome, controlling, and gossips.
Pros
supportive colleagues
Cons
poor administration and lack of leadership
School bus driver
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXOctober 23, 2017
Good company to work for. I enjoyed the ten years spent working with diverse people. Very flexible hours, and possibilities are countless. I will miss all my coworkers.
Educational Environment
Registrar at Hood Junior High (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXOctober 12, 2017
Enjoyed working here with the other staff. The students and parents were a little difficult but that is everywhere. I would have stayed longer if there had been opportunities for me to advance farther and to a higher pay.
Pros
Nice people to work with and very helpful
Cons
Not enough opportunities to grow to a higher pay scale.
An average job environment
Vehicle Attendant and Driver (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXOctober 1, 2017
I arrive to work at 8 am and clock out by 5 pm. Most of the time, my time is consumed by checking school bus fluids and oil. I also keep fuel island clean. From time to time, I pick up elementary students from school and drop them off at their destination. Management is quite poor when it comes to employee needs. Workplace culture is good, but the hardest part of the job is lack of leadership. The best part is only working 5 days a week.
fast paced, quick thinking required
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXSeptember 18, 2017
It's easy to be a love/hate job. Working with kids is so fun and rewarding, but it can be hard when they talk back and are disrespectful. The substitute office staff are great and very helpful. Each school provides its own unique experiences.
Teaching kids is rewarding, but the paperwork and red tape might kill you
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXSeptember 10, 2017
Teaching is a rewarding job. You help kids see the best part of themselves and motivate them to make good choices while teaching them the skills they need to be successful after they graduate. This needs to be enough because the micro management from the administration and lack of trust from school admin can be unbearable. They do not solicit ideas and will punish those who think outside the box. To survive, keep your mouth shut and work with the students since they are the ones who care in the first place.
Pros
summer break, spring break, holidays
Cons
paperwork, micromanagement, distrust, favoritism
good place to work, just a few things i couldnt seem to ignore.
Welding Instructor- Teach High School (Former Employee) –  Odessa,TXJuly 18, 2017
Job was rewarding when i managed to get through to a student. wish more students would engage in the task at hand, several students had no interest on learning what i had to say. Felt extremely taken for granted.
Pros
lots of time off for family time, decent wages, benefits package
Cons
teaching is a thankless job, no support from parents, unruly students, limited materials
Stressful but fullfilling
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJune 29, 2017
I loved my typical day at work, it was a job that was both challenging and rewarding all at the same time. It was hard trying to do all the paperwork required, especially since I was not allotted time to do it. The most enjoyable part of the job was the children.
Incredible Work Experience
Dyslexia Assessment Specialist - Contract Employee (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMay 30, 2017
My co-workers and supervisor were always willing to assist and provide guidance without hesitation. I learned a tremendous amount of information on how to accurately determine if a student had dyslexia or not. Management was hands off and allowed me to work autonomously. Workplace culture was excellent, friendly, warm, and welcoming. The hardest part was scheduling ARD meetings with parents and other staff's busy schedules. The most enjoyable part was working with professionals who were kind, traveling to different schools and testing various students.
Pros
Warm and Friendly atmosphere, not micro managed and interesting job
Cons
Coordinating convenient meeting times and finding quiet testing rooms
Flexible work schedule, fun and relaxed environment.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Secondary SchoolsMay 18, 2017
Front office clerks at the secondary schools are very helpful. Teachers leave helpful and progressive lesson plans. Work place culture is multi-cultured. The hardest part of the job is organizing the students in a collective unit to accomplish their tasks efficiently.
Pros
Flexibility, energetic environment
Cons
Part time, No benefits
Student Applications Analyst
Senior Student Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXApril 12, 2017
Enjoyed customer service assisting end users with reset password, training on database screens and procedures. Enjoyed writing procedures for documentation. Using my analytical skills for ensuring creating new processes. Running access or sql queries for data.
Pros
great teamwork
Cons
fair health insurance
Enriching place to work.
Substitute Aide/ Clerk (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TexasNovember 17, 2016
When I was working for the local school district I got to be in a variety of positions that gave me a fun life experience and given the opportunity I would work for the school's again.
Pros
Very supportive.
Cons
As an Aide/ Clerk no medical benefit unless hired full time.