Eddie Bauer

Eddie Bauer insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job

Good benefits/store discounts

Positive work environment with good pay/dedicated repeat business/continuous training/good benefits package/limited advancement opportunities/store closure

Pros

Pay/benefits/store discounts

Cons

Advancement opportunities

Relentless Sales Pressure

The company is desperately trying to stay afloat in a dying retail environment. The sales goals are unrealistic and there is a huge emphasis on using aggressive sales tactics to sell and push rewards cards and credit cards. The sales expectations of part time associates turn off employees and lead to turnover. Store manager pushed customers away with forceful sales methods that were perceived as rude. Manager was very controlling and hovered over employees. Environment was very tense as a result. Dreaded going there every day.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Tense environment, controlling management, encouragement of unprofessional sales methods, pay is not competitive

Great company to work for

The company truly cares for employees and customers. The majority of management have been with the company ten or more years which is rare in retail and shows that it is worth sticking around. Compensation is fair relative to the industry.

Pros

Culture, management, product

Cons

Would like higher pay but not a deal breaker

Customer Service

They really treat their customers very well. If you can't find your size, they call other stores and locate it for you. There was not much family life/work balance when you work 40 hours a week. The worst part of the job was not having enough good people to work as associates. We were always short handed and vacation time was very limited. Also, trying to sell the credit card to everyone was not one of the things I liked to do or was forced to do.

Pros

Good pay at the time.Good discounts.

Cons

Couldn't leave for lunch when only 2 people working.

Productive and mature work environment with a great sense of teamwork reliability

Eddie Bauer is a fast paced , fun environment with a commitment to excellent customer service through upholding the company creed and maintaining a strong sense of moral value within its team. While employed there I learned a great deal of responsibility as a leader as well as the importance of good company morale among the associates. I enjoyed the level of maturity within the company culture and the open door communication policy that ensured conflict resolution in the most efficient way possible.

Pros

Employee Discount

Cons

Limited Payroll during summer months.

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

Assistant manager

Will definitely miss this company. Unfortunately with the Covid a lot of companies had to cut staff and I happened to be one of those people. They are a great company to work for.

No trust

You always felt like the people above we liars. You felt like you couldn’t trust anyone. Just not a good company to work for. I would never work for them again

Don’t do it

I took an Assistant Manager position when I first moved to Lexington KY. At first it seemed like a great job, but I soon found out that the company is just like any other large retailer; disinterested in its employees, overworking, underpaying, and zero regard for personal life. My manager would go behind me correct things I did without telling me, and the list of tasks to accomplish while meeting incredibly high sales goals were impossible. Do yourself a favor and find a better job where you are more than just a number.

Good overall work expierence

I liked working at Eddie bauer it was fun and fast paced. I enjoyed working with customers. Everyone was very helpful and management was easy to talk to.

Stay away

Store manager is nasty and likes to talk down to employees! High turn over. No rules, managers are consistently late, store manager drinks @ lunch break

Eddies in a nut shell

Stressful, conversion expectations make you stressed, credit card sales required for sign ups stressful. Paperwork emails client sales, make you feel pushy and scares customers away

Productive environment

Great place to work. Always busy with a great customer relationship. I learned how to manage my time better and how to better course correct associates with daily tasks.

Questionable Management

I learned a lot through being assistant manager at Eddie Bauer such as skills through leading staff as well as myself, sales in retail, further time management, and extended knowledge in financial record keeping. I loved having more responsibilities and working with customers and being able to be creative in finding the most effective techniques in store presentation, organization and team motivation. However, I ended up leaving the position due to the head store manager having unethical, neglectful drives and habits, resulting in most everyone of the store choosing to leave. It may have ended in an unfamiliar way, but I still respect the store itself, the hard workers and everything that I learned from it. I truly believe it was a growing experience.

Great Company. Great Enviornment

Eddie Bauer is a great company to work for. The enviornment and atmosphere is so relaxing. There is no pressure to meet quotas, but to see individual store success.

Great Place

Working at Eddie Bauer pushes you to work one on one with guests walking into the door. Helps you understand social cues, correct verb-age to push sales, and gain knowledge of materials to help educate guests. It was very enjoyable, believed in the mission, and would definitely go back.

I was a manager and it was okay... Just okay...

It was okay. Not the best, but okay. The company could have been structured better and the location was not that great either. Maybe that is one of the reasons it closed and opened up years later in a outlet mall. I wouldn't recommend the job to anyone unless you in college or need a summer job. Other Eddie Bauer companies that I've shopped are great. But, upper management made the store not that great. They had poor attitudes. Everyone of them (but two).

Pros

No pros.

Cons

Communication, training, and managers need to humble themselves.

Asst. Store Manager

Eddie Bauer was a good company to work for as an asst. I really got my feet wet. I took away a lot of retail experience working for Eddie Bauer and the product was awesome so it was easy to sale.

Pros

sales, customer service and training

Cons

paper work

Not worth the money. Don't do it!

First off Eddie Bauer could be a great company to work for. They pay well and have great benefits with lots of vacation time. But with all that it is not worth it. Not by a long shot. I was an Asst. Manager. The store has been open for a year and a half and I am the 6th manager to leave. What does that say? If you hate role playing then this is not for you. That's right! You role play everyday and more than once a day. Degrading. If you don't make customers sign up for a credit card well your job is in danger. Oh there is more. Managers have a thing called a client book. You as a manager have to add 3 new clients to your book every week. You have to call your clients and get them to come in and spend money. You better do this or your job is in danger. Floor sets happen almost every month. You have to be a pushy sales person and you better have a good conversion on the shifts when you are sales lead or guess what....that's right, your job is on the line. You have to be prepared to answer for any numbers that are below stores expectations. Training never ends and not everyone does anything the same way so your confused as to what is the correct way to do things. Store must look like a museum. Oh I almost forgot you have to schedule outside store events to bring in customers. The cliental at Eddie Bauer is mostly 50+ woman. So if you are a guy you feel like you work at a Dress Barn. The younger generations has no clue as to who Eddie Bauer is nor do the care. Company has already filed Chapter 11 once and I am sure they will again.

Pros

good pay, benefits, discounts

Cons

company expectations are not realistic, poor management, training

The company as a whole is nice

I worked for Eddie Bauer for many many years. The company is great and you can tell that they care about their employees. The only draw backs were the last minute floor sets. It seemed like they happened almost on a weekly basis and the particular stores that I worked at didn't hire from within. I stayed with the company for almost 7 years and worked really hard to only be promoted to a key holder position. It was disappointing and the reason why I ended up leaving.

Great store management and horrible company polocies

The company has fallen behind in online sales and has begun to sabotage its brick and mortar locations in a bid to correct this. slow replinishment, missing stock, and removing product from retail locations to online sales has destroyed their own physical retail market and made it impossible for ASM, CO, and SM to ever meet projected sales and thus advance within the company. If offered a position within the company at any of their retail locations outside of Washington, I would refuse on the spot. These positions are systematically being destroyed by poor company policies, and it has been made clear that the company has no use for them in the future.

Cons

reckless and incompetent company policies.

It was not a bad place to work. Typical retail business to work for.

Management could be chosen a lot better with healthier motivated individuals that will include themselves in the work load instead of deligating it all the time. Include yourselves so that you know whats going on with your stores.

Pros

Easy going to work for.

Cons

Management is lazy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eddie Bauer. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Eddie Bauer.
Powered byComparably