Eddie Bauer

Eddie Bauer insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Fairly laid back, for retail

Mostly old people shopping, pretty easy to get sales. Staff was friendly and easy to get a long with. Management is cool and good at teaching sales skills. Doesn't run on commission so not super stressful.

Pros

Pay is better than most retail, sales are pretty easy

Cons

inconsistent hours, frequently rotating staff

Bad

Favoritism not a good place to work at all. Don’t recommend. They favor those that have been there for a long time. If you are young they will try and get you removed because the older people are bitter and not happy with their jobs.

Pros

Good vending machine foods

Cons

Everything else

Can't Move Up

I've worked for this company for years. There is a high turnover, and no upward mobility. They just got rid of probably the best VP the company has ever had (due to financial struggles) which shows me that even if there was upward mobility, you still wouldn't be secure in your job. DD's talk down to you when you don't hit your sales targets. Opposite of motivating. Customers try to return things that are 20 years old, and complain because the quality of clothing has drastically decreased. Upper management criticizes work you do constantly, even though they have no idea what is going on at a store level. They also recently decreased employee benefits and vacation.

Pros

Employee Discount

Cons

Benefits, Lack of Understanding from Management, No Security

Hard to get on full time

They hire you on as seasonal then lay you after about 4 months. And then bring you back after a few months. It took about 2yrs. for me to get on full-time with benefits. You work through most holidays but Christmas. I once had to work all day on Thanksgiving. I think management could have worked the schedule out a little better to for people to at least some time with their family instead of working one from 6:00am until late evening

Pros

45 minutes lunch

Cons

Pay

Staff amazing upper management not so much

It has been an unique year with change and turnover of above management. All support staff under the manager is extremely under paid and too much is expected of them. Minimum wage to start is not competitive and there is no respect for the associates that have worked for the company for years when they get paid the same as someone walking through the door. Things need to change to boost morale. We are living in an unique environment now. One can go walk into a Subway and make $2.50 over minimum wage and not have as much responsibility. I am blessed with the staff I have and they all need raises based on the amount of years they have worked for the company.

Pros

Good discount. Finally withe new company getting holiday pay

Cons

Not enough $ too many responsibilities, no support for management

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Stressful

They threw a lot of extra work at us and expected it to get done with no employees on staff. Often left alone to run the whole store and it’s stressful. Benefits are good and coworkers are nice. it’s a typical retail job

Connection with the outdoors

Company has been in business for 100 years.Customers are awesome. Technology is behind the average retail store. Workload is high, time management is crucial for getting all tasking done.

Pros

Benefits employee discount

Cons

Workload is heavy.

Stupid Covid Policies

We still have to wear masks, even though customers don't and they even know our vac status, as they incentiviced us to get vaccine. No annual raises and low pay contribute to high turnover.

Pros

Cons

Covid policy still in affect for workers. Low pay.

Decent place to work

My job at Eddie Bauer was simple not to hard not to easy we have very long breaks we also had a ice machine which was the best part of the job my stay at Eddie Bauer wasn’t too bad.

Pros

Ice machine decent pay

Cons

The place was dirty inside where you work

Fun but low staffed

The people there were fun to be around and work with but it was often short staffed and constantly got called in on my days off and worked more than I was legally supposed to. Also got paid minimum wage which sucked.

Pros

Fun/ chill people

Cons

Short staffed and paid low

Decent sales job, retail pay with sales bonus.

I eventually became bored by the work, but if you're a friendly person, it's a pretty good call-center sales job. I would say the salary was about what you can expect in a retail store, but your sales bonus ranged from .25 cents to 1$, depending on the item.

Un ambiente trankila personas muy buenas como entrenadores y buenos compañeros de trabajo

Es un excelente lugar para trabajar personas muy buenas buenos tiempos de descanso (dos breik) me gustó mucho trabajar con ellos

A great first job

I got this job during my high schools, it was the Syracuse location. My manager was able to work with my school hours and understood school was a main focus of mines. My coworkers were sweet and willing to help me out when I needed it.

Pros

Good first job

Cons

Can be very stressful during holiday seasons.

Good benefits/store discounts

Positive work environment with good pay/dedicated repeat business/continuous training/good benefits package/limited advancement opportunities/store closure

Pros

Pay/benefits/store discounts

Cons

Advancement opportunities

Overall liked the job and some people didnt have to much bad days We all lost our jobs at the call center and they went over seas worst thing makes no sense and didn't think about us the people . o

Pros

Some reasonable people

Cons

Got on with the company and never was offered any benefits after my 90 days or 6months

It was fun and I enjoyed the people I worked with

You need to have a fun attitude and not be afraid to talk to the customers. The company offers great benefits. There’s room to advance to management if you’re not doing it already.You do have sale goals to hit and it can be competitive. Overall I rose to the occasion and learned a lot. I became excellent at something that I wasn’t even shooting for and that was getting credit cards for our store. In my opinion it’s an awesome place to work.

Associate Discount

Private Equity runs the company with little to no long-term strategy. Everything is about short term gains vs long term value, this is typical of most PE owned retailers.

Pros

People

Cons

Leadership

Great coworkers but underpaid and over worked

The sales supervisor role has almost no additional benefits for being a key holding position. Pay starts at a low rate but you have the responsibilities of a manager without PTO or benefits since it isn't a full time position. I loved my coworkers and the customers but corporate needs to recognize talent and pay accordingly, especially since as a manager, I often had to cover for associates when they called in sick on my days off. The 60% off wardrobe discount was really nice, but you can get the same discount as an associate, without the responsibility of being a manager.

Great company to work for

The company truly cares for employees and customers. The majority of management have been with the company ten or more years which is rare in retail and shows that it is worth sticking around. Compensation is fair relative to the industry.

Pros

Culture, management, product

Cons

Would like higher pay but not a deal breaker

Eddie Bauer has good benefits and a great product to sell. In my store I was fortunate to have a fantastic store manager and 2 great floor managers that knew how to hire only the best employees. The customers were overwhelmingly loyal and repeat buyers that trusted the Eddie Bauer products. Easy sales!

Pros

Loyal customers

Cons

Retail schedules

Customer Service

They really treat their customers very well. If you can't find your size, they call other stores and locate it for you. There was not much family life/work balance when you work 40 hours a week. The worst part of the job was not having enough good people to work as associates. We were always short handed and vacation time was very limited. Also, trying to sell the credit card to everyone was not one of the things I liked to do or was forced to do.

Pros

Good pay at the time.Good discounts.

Cons

Couldn't leave for lunch when only 2 people working.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eddie Bauer. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Eddie Bauer.
Powered byComparably