Edelman Employee Reviews

Toddlers and Tiaras
Sales (Current Employee) –  United StatesMarch 20, 2019
Edelman is a grind. Clients are demanding, deadline driven, and often unrealistic. These are realities of agency life.

The reality of life at Edelman is you will work closely in teams of people who are doing everything they can to meet client expectations.

If you can help them, they will treat you decently (note: not nicely but not rudely), but if you don't drop everything to meet their demands and bend over backwards to do the impossible, you instantly go from tolerated coworker to public enemy number one.

AND IF YOU EVER DARE TO SAY 'NO,' be prepared for the following: An SAE or VP will go to an SVP or EVP and - despite the fact the request is not feasible - will have a rage-filled temper tantrum. And YOU will be the one who is at fault.

Not only will you have to do it [insert impossible situation] anyway, you will be labeled as difficult and be ostracized.

Culture boils down to how employees are allowed to treat each other. At Edelman, you can treat anyone like dirt as long as you are bringing in money OR if you're allied with someone who is in a position of power.

On my second day, I was invited to a meeting where I was berated by a man I had never met, simply because he wasn't consulted when I was hired. I told my boss about the situation because it made me very uncomfortable; it annoyed my manager that I brought it up and became clear it was 'my problem' to manage even though I had nothing to do with it.

HR is aware of the abysmal culture but what can they really do? Beer carts and scavenger hunts are nice gestures, but they are always a distraction
  more... from the already-tight deadlines and always-on calendars.

Turnover is an ongoing problem. EVERYONE is looking to get out.

Do yourself a favor and find somewhere else. Life is too short for the never-ending drama, lower-than-average pay, and complete disrespect you will feel every time you walk in the door.
Pros
Occasional beer carts and ice cream coolers to distract you from the misery
Cons
Horrible culture with gossipy, caste system
Culture is the worst
N/A (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 25, 2019
Don’t stay longer than 2 years If you can stand the horrible culture. Get the name on your resume and then GET OUT for better pay, respect, and value.
Pros
Name recognition on resume
Cons
Horrible culture, unfair biased promotions, cliquey, unorganized
Everything But The Work Culture
Digital Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 14, 2019
I hit the ground running on my first day, after being assigned a completely foreign task for a Big Name Brand by A Senior Vice President in front of Everyone You've Only Just Met.

But that was sort of my thing at Edelman. Try, try, try, and try again. Edelman taught me how to hustle, but it also taught me a lesson: Work culture matters almost more than the work itself.

Wouldn't trade this experience for the world.
Pros
Fast-paced, creative, collaborative, interdisciplinary, educational resources, access to databases, etc.
Cons
Work culture not a fit for me
Great place, Great culture
Corporate Fellow (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 25, 2018
Edelman is a wonderful family owned company that has its hands in so many pies (but in a good way). They are much more than a public relations firm they are a marketing communications powerhouse.
Challenging, but rewarding
Senior Account Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2018
Edelman has amazing clients, but the workload can be demanding and the hours long. Depending on your manager/team, there can be a great opportunity to learn a ton and grow in your career -- allowing for autonomy in your work and the ability to be part of some really incredible projects and campaigns.
Great Place To Work, Still Too Old PR
Digital Employee (Former Employee) –  ChicagoSeptember 25, 2018
There is a great company culture. However if you're trying to be on the cutting edge of your specialty, there will be resistance from the old guard PR wonks there.
Great agency
VP (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2018
Great agency for PR, marketing communications and integrated marketing. Good work/life balance especially for those with families. Great reputation as well.
Some benefits, but catty culture and little job security
Copywriter Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 15, 2018
I learned a lot at this job and got great opportunities to take on challenges in my position. I also enjoyed the complimentary events to learn about innovation in the industry. Unfortunately, management is not team-oriented and doesn't care about employees. Very poor retention and also recent job cuts have left culture in tatters.
Pros
Occasional Free lunches, seminars, free snacks
Cons
poor management
Employee (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2018
The work life balance is excellent as they do allow you to take care of family emergencies as they arise. In many cases there is no advancement in many of the roles at Edelman.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
Advancement
Great stepping stone to the career you want
Account Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 8, 2018
Wouldn't recommend staying for more than 2 years. Your experience at Edelman will depend on the strength of your manager. If your manager isn't the right fit for you senior leadership will not do anything about, which ultimately will stunt your enthusiasm and grown at the company.
Best in class learning and client service. High pressure, limited promotion.
VICE PRESIDENT (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 18, 2018
I learned so much at Edelman. It was a like earning an advanced degree in PR.

The opportunity for promotion at the senior level is limited though. And increases in compensation where nominal.

Like most PR firms it's a high-pressure work environment, and it was at times hard to find the elusive work/life balance.
Pros
great staff, great leadership, fun accounts
Cons
long hours, limited promotion opportunities at senior level
The worst management and HR that I came across in all my career
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 7, 2018
Managers were cowards and HR were super rude. A lot of two faced people. They were quick at pointing fingers and critize but do not even analyze their own behavior or admit their own mistakes. Company feels like Disneyland from the outside but from the inside it is all about your affiliations, who is your manager and how, not as collaborative as they may want to appear. I quit. Thank you but no thank you. It is the worst place I worked and I will definitely not recommend the company. Since then I talked to several people still there or ones who have quit already and they all agree with me. I guess i must not be crazy to feel that way.
Pros
Health insurance coverage (although expensive), free snacks, birthday PTO, summer PTO, lots of company holidays
Cons
Fake atmosphere, stressful environment, low pay, end up doing more than what you have signed for, lots of "back stabbing"...
Great company to work for
IT Service Delivery Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2018
They encourage a healthy work life balance and the benefits for this company are very competitive. While job advancement is tough, they do promote department transfers to keep you interested.
Great for career experience, poor management
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 24, 2018
I've been told it is well known that Edelman does not compensate fairly, salary-wise. Definitely great career experience, but a hard trade off when living in high cost-of-living areas.

Senior management isn't held accountable for managing teams properly, as long as the business stays and clients are happy. Junior team members are rarely heard, and work typically gets dumped on them or mistakes are blamed on them.

If you can find a great manager and team, then the great experience is definitely worth the lower pay. However, that rarely happens.
Pros
Snacks in certain offices, decent benefits, great resume booster
Cons
Poor work/life balance, poor management, low salary compensation
PR Skills?
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 3, 2018
If you are looking to hone or advance your PR/communications skills this is the place. You should be a true self-starter who has aspirations to do more with your life. Edelman is a good place to start but no necessarily a good place to stay.
Lots of Internal work
Senior Art Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 21, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is generally the people are nice, but it can be cold and the culture is lacking. However, they are trying to improve. Depending on which account you are working on, you can work 40+ hours a week continuously for weeks. It would be great to see top senior leaderships come in more during all steps in the projects. Extroverts are more welcomed here.
Benefits
Cons
Work life balance
Internship is what you make it
Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCDecember 2, 2017
the kind of work place environment where taking initiative is rewarded and questions are welcomed
hardest part of the job is managing the ebb and flow of client work
most enjoyable part is encountering intelligent people who are willing to share their expertise
Financial Analyst
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2017
Edelman is a leader in communications and marketing. They are transparent with their goals throughout the firm. However, management could work on handling heavy workloads and distributing throughout the team.
Edelman NY Experience
Senior Account Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2017
Overall, Edelman is a great place to work and grow as a communications marketing professional. The company's expansion in into the Marketing, Advertising, Creative and Digital spaces have created more career growth opportunities for employees. Like many agencies, work/life balance is difficult and up to the employee to manage.
Pros
Growth opportunities
Cons
Difficult to establish work/life balance, benefits aren't competitive
Company transformation
Account Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2017
Edelman is mainly known as a Public Relations agency. Recently they began to re-brand themselves as a Marketing Communications agency. Yet they have yet to internally pivot and consolidate their practices. This leads to different departments having totally different processes for developing and executing work. There is no one "right" way to scope work and service clients and therefore there is marked inefficiency and communication issues between groups. At times the constant internal coordination needs give the feeling that the group "can't get out of its own way". It is a good place to work and the people are smart and friendly, but flexing heavily to accommodate other work styles or levels of knowledge will be required.
Pros
Nice location, people.
Cons
Company not internally integrated.