EDKEY Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 28, 2018
I worked at Edkey for many years. I stuck with it because I loved my coworkers and the wonderful students. What started off as a great place to work gradually turned into a stressful environment due to district level administration. The concept of having each site be unique was dismantled due to upper management wanting the sites to operate the same. That is completely impossible since there is a range of schools from a deaf school, to a traditional school, to a homeless school, to an arts school, to an online school, etc.

Edkey grew too big and too fast for its own good. The mission is so far off from that of the original CEO who was kind-hearted and fair. All the best talent has left for much greener pastures. In addition, you have to play the game. If you don't keep your mouth shut and just smile you will be scorned. There is too much nepotism and too many conflicts of interest at the district level.

Upper management is getting paid while anyone below is getting crumbs. When I say the pay is low, I mean it is very low. There is no reason that a teacher who has worked at Edkey for about 10 years should be making under $40,000. There is no salary scale, just what you can negotiate. The financial situation for this organization is very shady. Although the people at each individual site are great to work with, it almost seems that there is a need to band together due to the lack of resources and the micromanagement from the people at the top. I would never recommend any of my friends or family to work here.
Pros
Coworkers and students
Cons
District level management, low pay, lack of transparency
Not a quality place to work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZDecember 9, 2018
Very top heavy. District Office looks the other way when there are problems. Staff does NOT feel supported at all. If you are not in the "club" you can forget having a successful year. District has NO clue what goes on at individual schools. The majority of the staff is looking for other jobs. If you are serious about having a quality place to work, DO NOT CHOOSE EDKEY!
Pros
Staff
Cons
More than can list
Bad
Sub (Former Employee) –  PhxNovember 19, 2018
Very little communication from management or admin.
No support from dept
People seem to be related.
Staff isn't friendly
Not much academic support or lessons.
Unstable, unorganized, unprofessional environment
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 19, 2018
If you want a supportive environment that is conducive for student learning, don't work here!
No curriculum, PD meetings are meaningless, students do not receive appropriate services, no supplies, etc.
I feel sorry for the students that attend these schools.
Parapros/subs facilitate some classrooms..no security officer, no lockdown practices.
Shady and unethical things make you walk on eggshells. Not worth the stress.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Sequoia Lehi
employee (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZMay 14, 2018
This school has an amazing atmosphere with caring teachers, supportive families and a positive environment for the students. While the campus is not the most impressive the administration cares, the teachers want growth, and the students enjoy coming to school.
Shady and unethical
Teacher (Former Employee) –  ArizonaMay 11, 2018
Edkey is a very unethical company- they do not care about the kids at all. Their focus is all on numbers and money. Administration is a joke, along with my salary and support in general. I loved my coworkers, but it was not enough to keep me there. I had an amazing group of students, but I know that they were not getting what they deserved because a lack of resources available to me. Overall, I would never recommend anyone to work here.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Unethical, stressful, long hours, low pay, lack of support, greedy
Lack of support
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 19, 2018
Overworked and underpaid sums up the environment. Administration rarely support the staff. The entire organization seems to be very top heavy from the district office to individual school sites. One site has 7 full time administrators; directors, principals, dean's, etc.
School has gone downhill since they were taken over by Edkey
Staff (Former Employee) –  Cottonwood, AZJanuary 3, 2018
Decent school that is trying to keep to their mission. However, everyone has way too many responsibilities. The pay is low, and there is not a lot of administrative support. But the teachers still try hard and love the kids.
Poorly Managed and Too Polictical
Teacher (Current Employee) –  AZDecember 29, 2017
Working with Edkey is not for the everyone. If you like low pay and high demands on your time and no support, then go for it.

I was promised a mentor teacher and never got one, but my principal expects me to behave like a seasoned teacher. When I needed help I got no support and was left on my own to figure things out.

At first it seemed like a good place to work. The people are friendly, but that's where it ends. Every man/woman for themself!

Poorly organized and no support for beginning staff.
Pros
Work schedule
Cons
No support
Need quality administration
Certified Teacher (Former Employee) –  AZDecember 12, 2017
Great staff onsite, wiling to give all and then some. Unfortunately, having administration pop in and out provides no continuity or even a clue as to what is going on, on campus.

Change in CEO may be whatmaintains a fighting chance for this site. Hopefully he will see how the assigned administration really play the game of school.
Pros
Onsite Staff willing to work hard
Cons
No continuity with administration supporting staff
Not a great place to work at all
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 28, 2017
The pay is very low and you would think they would compensate for the lack of pay with a great work environment..but they don't. Teachers who really don't know what they are doing are allowed to bully others. The administration looks the other way. Standards are rarely used to drive instruction and most of the teaching staff shines and gripes when anyone mentions data. High academic expectations are discouraged and students think they can do anything they want without any consequences. If you are serious about teaching them this is not the place for you!!
Great people
Physical Education Associate (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 12, 2017
Edkey's pay is not great but what they lack in pay they make up for in great people. I really enjoyed everyone I worked with. However, the pay was far too low.
Most Diverse Charter School Group
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZOctober 19, 2016
Non-Profit with 18 Ground Campuses and 12 Distance Learning Centers. Each school has their own individual mission and not a "cookie cutter" approach. Edkey is truly the resource and support organization for the schools, not an "our way or the highway" management group.
Good
Human Resources Intern (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 25, 2015
Sequoia Schools was founded in 1996 with the intent of working together WITH families in the education of their children in an environment where every child is known by all of the staff in a very positive environment with high academic expectations for all students.
At Sequoia Schools we know that young people often do not feel accepted and may fall through the cracks in a large school typical of those found in our communities today. Our first core value is, “We know every child and we exist to meet their needs”. This commitment to each and every child regardless of their background sets Sequoia apart in the educational community. This core value is reflected in our family of schools which includes the most diverse representation of students of any charter school in the country.
Good People, Good Work
Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 17, 2015
Spent most time repairing computers and troubleshooting classroom equipment. Including but not limited to: Smartboards, Projectors and Document Cameras.

I became more familiar with Linux based Operating Systems, internal Enterprise Server Structure, and Windows Server.

The hardest part was re imaging computers during summer break.