Educational Testing Service Employee Reviews

Workplace Culture
Administrative Professional III - Office (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJSeptember 21, 2018
Educational Testing service is a great place to work. Management cares about their employees. The benefits are superb and the staff in human resource is very helping in explaining terminology.
Not very imaginative
Senior Director, Business Development and Strategy (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJSeptember 14, 2018
ETS is bureaucratic and risk-averse. Collectively they are afraid to try to put new ideas into practice. It is a place where employees are punished for a new idea failing, and not rewarded when a new idea succeeds.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
Risk-averse and bureaucratic
Resources on a "Need to Know" basis
Science Assessment 1 (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 5, 2018
Management was very secretive and provided resources or opportunities on a "Need to Know" basis. Worst management and environment, I have ever experienced.
Pros
Cons
Bad management, and stressful atmosphere
My ETS Experience
Professional Scorer (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJSeptember 4, 2018
It was a cool gig. No real means of advancement. Limited number of gigs to work. The pay is also limited, but it held me down. I am grateful for the opportunity to work for them. However, right now, I need something full-time and permanent.
Cons
Seasonal gig; limited number of gigs
Great work-from-home option
Professional Scorer (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJSeptember 3, 2018
There are not a lot of legitimate work from home options, but this is one of them! So glad I found them. I am able to stay home with my children and still bring in some extra income. This is a great fit for me and my goals. It is also fulfilling. Reading these essays helps keep me sharp and a lot of them are very interesting.
Cons
Have to work specific shifts instead of just when you can each day
Loved working for ETS
Scorer/Reader (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJAugust 29, 2018
This was an online at-home position. I really enjoyed the experience that I gained scoring student written language arts essays. Very fulfilling work and contributed to my experience in seeking a teaching position without having a teaching degree.
Pros
work from home; create own schedule
Cons
work hours were pst, not enough work hours offered sometimes
Resolution
Administrative I Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ewing, NJAugust 24, 2018
I enjoyed working in RESO, my team leader is amazing she teaches us a lot. we are team players and work with others when they need assistants. typical day work. Learned how to investigate cases. Management is offended out. Culture of the work place is everyone have there own group of people the congregate with. The hardest part is grading.
Pros
I am good at what I do
Cons
they have not offered me a perm position
Work From Home job with no benefits and little support
Content Scoring Leader (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 20, 2018
In this job, I am considered an at-will employee who has to apply for each program within the company. We receive no benefits. You submit your availability for each program, and are matched up with shifts if there's work. Shifts may be cancelled without notice, and you may not get paid if they are cancelled far enough out from the start time.
Wonderful job with wonderful colleagues
Rater (Current Employee) –  Home BasedAugust 11, 2018
I have worked as a remote scorer for a long time and absolutely love the position. My colleagues are intelligent and dedicated. Work/life balance is superb. The only negative is that the pay has decreased over the years. For such an important job, raters should be paid more than the "barely-above-minimum" wage compensation and offered raises with time and improvement. The company is clear, however, that it is a part-time position and should be considered supplemental income.
Pros
Fantastic work team, interesting and intellectually stimulating, work from home.
Cons
Low pay
Don't work as a GRE rater!
GRE Rater (Former Employee) –  OnlineAugust 8, 2018
This January, ETS sent GRE raters an impersonal, unapologetic email saying that they were lowering rater pay from $20/hour to $15/hour to conform to "industry standards." A link was included to a survey for us to decide whether or not we wanted to continue working for ETS. This opaque, robotic approach is very characteristic of my experience as a rater for GRE. Training and feedback were both minimal. Scoring leaders were slightly more human at times, but often rude or with a questionable understanding of test scoring. Raters are kept completely in the dark about their performance, scheduling, opportunities for advancement, etc. You also don't get many hours, and it's extremely unreliable from month to month. Easy to cancel your shifts, but they can also cancel on you. Impossible to predict your income as a rater.
Pros
flexible, work from home job
Cons
inexplicable pay decrease, few hours, canceled shifts, poor supervision, robotic
Work
Online Rater (Current Employee) –  Ewing, NJAugust 2, 2018
This position can be boring to say the least. At least you can work from home. The pay is not that great and has been lowered instead of increased. That's business.
Achives and implements corporate directives
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJJuly 29, 2018
Always strives to achieve company directives mostly in terms of documentation for existing processes and procedures.
Learned the importance of good documentation especially for Standard Operational Procedures.
Workplace culture is hardworking and collaborative.
Hardest part of job is using new tools without training when trying to adhere to standards.
Most enjoyable is deploying a project into production.
Pros
Encourages collaboration
Cons
Lack of formal training
Decent, but not a long-term solution for remote workers
ELA Assessment Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  RemoteJuly 25, 2018
I worked here as a remote worker. They definitely favor in-house workers, and don't give much thought to the advancement of remote workers. I've worked for better companies.
Employee Supportive and Socially Responsible
Portfolio Project Manager/PM III (Current Employee) –  Ewing, NJJuly 24, 2018
Extremely while maintaining it's core values focused on it's mission of helping advance quality and equity in education by providing fair and valid assessments, research and related services.

Pros
Summer Early an Weather Closings, Paid community Service Time
It changed from being collegiate to commercial
Technical Project Lead (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, NJJuly 24, 2018
It was a great place to work and I thought I'd retire from there someday, of my own free will. However, market and corporate culture changed how they viewed/valued the people that built the corporation.

I would go back, if I could. I still loved the people that I worked with and applications that I supported.
Pros
Competitive salary and benefits will make you want to stay. Better than most places.
So-so
Rater (Current Employee) –  RemoteJuly 23, 2018
Flexible schedules that you choose. Periods with little work, periods with all the work you could possibly want, mostly in the middle. Became a poorly run company over the last 2 years.
Not bad for part-time work, but could use some improvements.
Rater (Current Employee) –  OnlineJuly 21, 2018
Basics:
1. part-time
2. inconsistent - work can be scheduled or cancelled at a moment's notice
3. very little communication
4. no real heirarchy - you don't really have a boss, so using ETS on job applications is difficult
5. decent pay - between $11-$15/hr
6. usually only 4 or 8 hour shifts with preference given to 8 hour shifts
7. working online staring at a computer screen
8. often the ONE system used by ETS has technical issues that make it difficult to complete your job in a timely fashion
9. tedious work grading papers
10. scoring rubrics are not as objective as ETS would like you to believe
11. no real information about your job performance unless it's negative
12. can only do the work from a computer, no tablets or mobile devices work with the ONE system
13. easy to apply and work for multiple tests within the company
14. when a test that you score for is cancelled, they usually recommend another one to you
15. training is often long and tedious, is required, and rarely introduces new information
16. possibility for advancement, but it's rare
17. you choose your own schedule, but ETS gets the final say on if you actually work or not during the days you choose
Pros
decent pay for part-time work, online, schedule the hours you want to work
Cons
limited job performance feedback, subjective scoring rubrics, inconsistent work hours, little chance for upward mobility
Great for retiree or as a second job
Rater and Score Leader, ETS (Current Employee) –  RemoteJuly 21, 2018
I have worked for ETS for the past 3 years as a remote Scorer and have enjoyed it. I like working from home but wish the hours were more consistent. For my programs, peak season is April/May and December and you can work everyday. The job requires a lot of focus in order to score accurately and you really don't get much feedback, but I have enjoyed it. There is little room for advancement as a remote scorer and my pay rate has not changed since I started working. My main complaint is I just wish I could get enough hours to cover my bills.
Pros
work from home, home office deduction
Cons
lack of benefits, lower pay, no advancement
Former employee
Scoring Leader/Scorer (Former Employee) –  Ewing, NJJuly 21, 2018
Good company with different things to do.. You can do whatever you are qualify to do. Some assessments are seasonal and some are throughout the year.
Pros
Scoring leaders are very helpful
Cons
Upper management
In need of more advancement opportunities
CAASPP RATER (Former Employee) –  RemoteJuly 19, 2018
ETS has a great recruiting program, however, they lack advancement opportunities paid at a fair rate. For instance, if you would like to become a rater supervisor, the pay is only $2 more of that of a regular rater. Therefore, the incentive to take on more responsibility keeping in contact with fellow raters and providing them with feedback is pretty slim.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Educational Testing Service. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9

2.3Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight