EF Education First

EF Education First Employee Reviews

United States379 reviews

Found 379 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,061 reviews

Fun and fast paced work

Working at EF New York was pretty fun but can also flip and be very busy. A typical day consisted of balancing working on spreadsheets, answering sales emails, answering phones, processing sales, and hosting activities. overall fun place to work but lots of work to go around.

mostly boring sales jobs with little room for advancement

I was on a team that had a reputation in my product for being cliquey and toxic. EF generally recruits recent college grads who are unsure what they want to do for their career then underpays them. Company seems to be only concerned with expanding their business as opposed to delivering a quality product.

Pros

Decent benefits, nice office

Cons

Can be a toxic work environment, no free coffee, low salaries

EF Education First insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Great students

I taught for over two and a half years. It was great meeting students and the teaching was productive. The technological problems with communications. I would say this could get you by for a while.

Remote Work and Flexible Schedule

Great job to supplement income. No minimum hours required for schedule. Work from home. Simple application and interview process. Lessons and content are provided. Easy to communicate with tech support.

Flexible hours, good pay

I enjoyed working at EF. The early morning hours actually worked very well with my schedule. The ready-to-use lessons and slides made it possible to focus on the students and kept my off hours free. Invoicing and payment was simple and straightforward.

Pros

Good pay, flexible schedule, many consistent students

Cons

Early hours, Chinese holidays

Flexible, but low pay & inconsistent scheduling

I worked as an Online ESL Teacher for a couple of years. I enjoyed it because it allowed flexibility. But the pay was too low, scheduling was too inconsistent, and some of the students were not the nicest. Towards the end it was so hard to get classes and I was not making any money and because I didn’t reach a certain amount of hours they tried to drop my pay to what I was making when I first started, so I had to drop them.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Low pay, inconsistent scheduling

Great ESL experience

I worked for several ESL companies teaching children in China. EF was the best. The onboarding experience was thorough, so I had a good grasp of how to operate the website from day one. The students were great,too.

Great place to work.

It was a very good experience and I was happy to be part of the team. I Would recommend the company and would definitely consider to work there again.

fun work environment but need better work life balance

talking about travel all day is amazing as well as the travel benefits of the job but the pay is way too low for everything that is expected of the job. i did not feel valued and actually was more stressed about my performance even when hitting goals and unlocking bonuses. free travel is great but you can also save yourself the blow to your mental health and just book yourself a cheap vacation instead.

Fun while it lasted

My area has been shut down but I enjoyed the independence I had when being a contractor for EF. Pay was ok. Company didn’t act shady in anyway. Mostly they left me alone to do my thing which I liked. They were understanding of absences.

Great side job while it lasted.

Worked with young learners at early hours in the morning. Program was well run and easy to use. The management would respond quickly and pay was competitive.

Although it came to an end, this was a fantastic job and the people were too. I really can't say anything bad about this company.

I taught students English and loved doing it. The supporting staff was awesome and always there is you needed them. It is a great company to work for and teaching is amazing.

This is a very fun and rewarding job. I look forward to teaching each day.

This is an excellent company to work for. The students are so kind and friendly, and I can tell that I am making a difference in their lives, and in their education.

Pros

Friendly staff, and students.

Cons

Early morning shifts

Flexible working hours, but basic pay

I am a postgraduate student and prior to that I was travelling, so this job has great flexibility for me to fit around my studies and active lifestyle.Your students rate your classes out of 5 and you receive a bonus each month if you achieve a certain average. This however, is still a living wage level amount.HR is supportive, polite and accommodating.Some great tips that come out of newsletters emailed to you, conferences are offered for connection building, CPD and a sense of community and you have a chance to build a rapport with students and get regulars.Advancement is not easily achievable, I have received only a £0.50 per hour pay raise since working for this company in the last 2 years. When I joined there was promise of advancing to +£2 per hour after 2 years as a 'senior tutor', but we have since been informed of a wage freeze so I have no current prospect of advancement.

Pros

Flexible schedule, good workplace culture, teaching resources provided.

Cons

Low pay rates.

Good atomsphere

I am resident advisor and the pay is okay. The perks are good and time off is a plus. The atomsphere is great and we all work as well a team. A lot of down time but I am looking elsewhere to be productive and pay better.

make your own hours

made your own hours. Students varied so you got quite an experience. Managed yourself but helpdesk and work support was good. Hardest part was sometimes managing the kids and parents. The most enjoyable part was having my own hours and the kids.

Fun place to teach kids English

Good curriculum. Liked teaching the students..some things could be unpredictable. Enjoyed the flexibility of the schedule and helping kids to learn a new language

Not a good company to work for!

This company pays less than minimum wage, but requires a degree plus certifications! The students are rude and often don’t show up. The managers treat employees like indentured servants! They are making a lot of money, but pay the teachers very little. What a terrible company!

The students are extremely polite.

My typical day starts at 6:00am. I teach four students for twenty-five minutes.I learn how to manage my time to ensure I log on and off quickly.The workplace culture was extremely relaxing. The students and parents were nice.The hardest part of the job was making sure my Internet did not go out due to storms. The most enjoyable part was teaching the students.

Pros

Excellent students

Cons

The working hours are too early

Mucho trabajo extra

Pagan bien, pero hay mucho trabajo extra no remunerado (informes,.organizar las clases, pedir libros, editar planes de estudios y calendario de los cursos). No apoyan mucho al profesor frente a dudas y no informan adecuadamente, se desentienden si surge algún problema con los alumnos. A mi me da la impresión que van a saco, a veces es como si trabajaras en una fábrica de vender clases de idiomas y la calidad no está garantizada. Dan tanto trabajo extra que al profesor le ocupa mucho tiempo y al final repercuta en el ánimo del profesor para dar clases para esta empresa.

Pros

Pagan bastante bien y puntual

Cons

Demasiada burocracia, demasiada plataforma.

Coworkers are great and awesome!

The only take-away from this company is the great relationship you have with your coworkers. They are extremely helpful. Staff is really diverse and experienced.

Common questions about EF Education First

Answered by current and former employees at EF Education First

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EF Education First. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 25%
In the Top 25% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at EF Education First.
Powered byComparably