EF English First Employee Reviews

Bad management, terrible company.
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  China, MENovember 4, 2018
Worked in China (Zhengzhou) for a year and although the coworkers were great, the company did not care about the kids. Education was a joke, we weren't provided enough materials to do the job and often had to go buy extra supplies for life clubs. There was no organization in the company.

Everything was about sales in the organization. As long as the parents were happy, it didn't matter what was taught. I worked with foreigners who didn't have degrees nor high school diplomas. It's was a depressing job that did not focus on education. If you're looking to find a teaching job because you care about children, this isn't the right company for you.
Poor communication, management
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 22, 2018
*Terrible internal customer service
*Low pay, no benefits, no paid vacation
*No guarantee of weekly work
*Finance, Scheduling departments barely do their jobs
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Everything else
Pretty good
Moscow, ID (Former Employee) –  Moscow, IDJune 8, 2018
I like this company. Of course it wasn’t 100% perfect job, but there are so friendly people and costumers, bonuses......................................
Pros
People
Cons
Salary
Good for transition or extra income
ESL TEACHER (Former Employee) –  OnlineApril 30, 2018
Overall, this is not a bad place to work. However, the pay is very low and the only real feedback is via student reviews. There does not seem to be any way to dispute the student evaluations and it is all about the numbers. Also, there did not seem to be much opportunity to advance or at least no clear path. On another note, it is good if you need flexibility and this will not be your only source of income. Otherwise, you will have to put in a lot of hours.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low pay, No advancement
Worked for EF while I was in grad school
ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  OnlineApril 2, 2018
Decent company to work for. Sometimes difficult to obtain high ratings due to students rating based upon things out of teacher's hands, such as internet connectivity. Overall a good experience.
Highs and Lows
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  杭州市February 18, 2018
Highs
Free housing, flight allowance, paid on time, vacation days, freedom to plan lessons your own style, company dinners, assistance with local needs such as with phone and internet. Make friends from around the world.

Lows
Management was difficult to deal with, they change their minds on a lot of decisions and often raise concerns with you from information from which they will not share the source, so your often being judged by the word on the street. The business often takes priority over learning. There may be one student that is always pampered and never punished during the duration of their years spent at EF, during this time they run off students who go home and tell their parents how big of a joke the classes are. There are students you can yell and scream at, make them sit in the corner, or throw them out of the class. You'll tell the PA to notify the parents, they won't, they recieve commission from having the student sign up for more classes, and your boss will insist that they may not be kicked out and place the blame on you. You'll work more hours than the contract says and you'll be put through the gamut during summer and winter classes working 6 day weeks.

Like many say it's a good first step into English teaching in China and my pay now is a little better now than it was because of my work. It's the luck of the drawl when it comes to what you'll get at any specific center.
Amazing Company!
ENGLISH TEACHER (Former Employee) –  ColoradoFebruary 12, 2018
Overall my experience with EF was phenomenal. Would defiantly recommend. I made so many wonderful new friends from around the world- that alone was such an amazing experience and gift.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Many popular class times are 11pm-6am in the US.
Excellent Job for working and travel
Foreign English Teacher (Former Employee) –  郑州市January 11, 2018
Teaching English in China was an amazing experience. An opportunity to be immersed in a new language, culture, and be out of your comfort zone. It is something I will be able to take with me for the rest of my life. The children become such a big part of your life and show you how to slow down the pace of your life and remember to enjoy your life at the same time.
Fun and friendly work environment
SENIOR DIRECTOR OF STUDIES (Former Employee) –  Zhengzhou, ChinaSeptember 20, 2017
EF is a multinational company from Sweden, but headquartered in Shanghai, China. It offers continuous training to all of its staffs; promotion to hardworking and talented teachers depends on how quickly regional schools develop, but tends to be on the fast side. Most of the schools I visited had very amiable staffs, starting from the management.
Pros
career building
Cons
schedule is not family-friendly
Honest Company
English Trainer (Current Employee) –  Hangzhou, ChinaSeptember 8, 2017
This company is very upfront and honest about things. If they know something, they will tell you. Before joining the company I was told that I would be working more than if I chose to work at a university, but my visa would be legal and my pay would be a little higher.

A typical day at this company is teaching 5 different classes and speaking with students about their lives. It is a lot of fun, and a lot of customer service for ESL. The students enjoy practicing their English with foreigners.
Pros
Good environment, good management, room for you to grow and be creative.
Cons
Little notice on some changes (mostly due to government regulations
unique opportunity but lacks structure
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 11, 2017
This could be a decent opportunity but structure is severely lacking and the work environment is unprofessional. I would recommend teaching elsewhere.
Pros
professional development opportunites
Cons
unprofessional work culture
Must fight for everything
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  East JavaJuly 10, 2017
My school provided none of the training they promised when I accepted the position:
- No cultural training
- The company provides classroom books that the students must purchase to be in the classes, my training/introduction to the materials consisted of the Director of Studies telling me how much he hated the materials and that I shouldn't use them

I was led to believe that I would be teaching older students, EF knew my experience was exclusively with adults, when I arrived I discovered that it was all kids classes, the oldest students were in high school.

After voicing my concerns that I didn't have any experience or training in working with 5 year-olds, the senior teacher consistently put those classes on my schedule as a power play, just to let me know that she could. She claimed that I was a natural at teaching young children even though I continuously requested to not have those classes because I felt uncomfortable with the students.

The company consistently displays various amounts of disrespect for their teachers:
- The office staff lost forms containing my personal information
- Teachers paid for rooms in company-owned houses that were entered without notice or permission
- Upkeep of housing was awful, rooms have peeling paint and mold
- I was picked up from the airport and dropped off at a house, there was no introduction to the city or the surrounding area. I didn't have basic things like toilet paper or a towel. I was not given directions or even told which school to go to my first day of work, that responsibility was left to my roommates.
  more... Why did my roommates know what school I was teaching at before I did?
- I was invited to a welcome brunch 12 hours after arriving in the country but was not picked up from the house, was expected to find my way across town without speaking the language.

The school was very gossipy, even the upper management would participate in spreading rumors. It was impossible to voice any concerns without everybody whispering about you within a matter of an hour.

You have to fight for everything that was previously agreed upon. Specifically your flight home that the company is supposed to pay for. They will find the most ridiculous flight path and tell you they will book that flight or you can take the cash value and book your own flight. They tried to send me from Surabaya - KL (8 hour layover), KL - Singapor (9 hour layover)...I would have been traveling for an entire day and end up a 2.5 hour plane ride from where I started. When I replied to the email and said this is unacceptable, I got a response confirming that I could take this flight or take the money and book my own. I sent another strongly worded email about how awful this was, pointing out that not a single one of them would ever book this flight for themselves. It wasn't until after my second email, which I CC'd the corporate office, that upper management wanted to talk to me and apologize about the 'miscommunication'. During that meeting they told me that they hadn't looked at the flight before responding and confirming that this was my flight home. Nobody is held to any accountability of job performance except the foreign teachers who are expected to teach 17 classes per week with only a 10-minute break in between each class.

The people in charge have no common sense or consideration of the fact that teachers are moving to a new country to work for them. They try to act like only an employer but they need to take more responsibility for the safety and comfort of the foreign teachers. I felt truly awful working for this company and would never recommend it to my worst enemy.
Great Environment, Little Pay
English Language Teacher (Former Employee) –  RemoteJuly 3, 2017
I liked working for EF during the time I was there but the pay was minuscule considering the work you did and all of the things asked of you. I would recommend that they do less micro-management, be fairer with their compensation and pay raises, and try to bring in more at-home instructors to the company.
Okay for a summer job
English teacher (Former Employee) –  Suzhou, ChinaApril 18, 2017
It was an okay job. They gave me a chance when I was really down on my luck and I needed somewhere to work.

The money wasn't great but I felt like I was rich because I had been so broke there.

The company culture seems to be to just sell the EF method instead of being actually about teaching anyone English, which is fine i guess.
Pros
you don't work very many hours
Cons
they don't pay very much but make you sign exclusivity clauses.
Great company to make a career
ESL teacher (Former Employee) –  东莞市October 9, 2016
Whether you're a first time teacher or have 20 years experience, this company will most certainly provide you with great career opportunities unlike any other education company in China.
Pros
great training, great support staff, great benefits
Cons
starting pay is too low
Not sure
Adjunct Professor and ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLOctober 7, 2016
Well sometimes it is just a really long day when you are teaching, and unfortunately that means only having a couple of computers to use when their are twenty teachers needing them at the same times. However everyone was friendly, but it a stepping stone
Pros
Some nice things
Cons
Some bad things
It is overall good
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  深圳市February 10, 2016
English First treated employees good. Their salary is low, but it is an easy job. However, the employers is not very nice overall.
Satisfying, but sometimes trying due to electronic problems
Online ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  onlineJanuary 18, 2016
The work relies heavily on ESL experience, but there are tools offered by other teachers, as well as sessions, to help neophytes learn the ropes. Getting used to technical problems can be trying, but the students are usually worth it, as many of them will grow to be fast friends of yours and regulars. It's a job that requires dedication as well as getting up early, since most of the best hours to work are between 6-11am. The benefits are lacking, as this is a consulting position, but the pay is higher than average, so there's that.
Pros
Higher pay wages than others, on the job training and feedback, set your own hours
Cons
Very few benefits, often have to work certain hours unpaid to grade, technical issues.
A place to learn
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Qinhuang DongDajie, Qinhuangdao, Hebei, ChinaApril 22, 2015
EF English schools are fast paced because of the high turnover rate. You learn quickly, you work hard, and you have ample opportunity for advancement. After only a couple years, you can be a director of studies or the senior teacher. The turnover rate should not look poorly on the company, most employees only plan to teach for a year or two and move on.
It is a great way to experience a country and the people who live there without the tourist treatment. The company streamlines the visa process and are very professional.
The products are supported and updated to provide students with fresh material.
You have to do promotional tasks, but they can be quite fun.
Pros
Travel, immersion, experiences, pay
Cons
Long hours, long weeks, private school priorities
Awesome Center
Senior Teacher (Former Employee) –  Xuzhou ChinaSeptember 27, 2014
Diverse Teachers. Good Management and Learn a lot from the System.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EF English First. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about