Egan Home Health & Hospice Employee Reviews

15 years strong with a strong, growing company that feels like family
Director of Business Development (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LASeptember 12, 2018
I have been working for EGAN Home Health & Hospice for 15 years in different capacities. I have remained committed to EGAN because of its integrity, focus on the quality of patient care, ability to respond quickly to any situation, and its constant drive to develop programs and protocols based on national best practices. I’m very proud to have played a role in the growth of EGAN Home Health and Hospice which has established itself as a regional leader and one of the best providers of care at home in Southeast Louisiana. National public performance data continues to validate this statement years after years. We owe our success to an extraordinary team of excellent nurses, therapists, social workers, aides and office staff who relentlessly aim to improve the lives of the patients under our care. Many of my talented my colleagues have been part of our winning team for over a decade. It is such a joy to work with people who feel like they’re family. I would strongly recommend EGAN Home Health and Hospice to anyone who believes that their work should be meaningful, who wishes for a collaborative and productive work environment, who deeply cares for patients and firmly believes that together we can make a difference.
Pros
Caring, integrity, learning so much, supportive, intelligent business
Cons
Got to be flexible and engaged (but that's not really a "con"!)
Love my patients
Home Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  Covington, LASeptember 5, 2018
I love being a home health nurse, love being able to actually spend time and educate my patient without being called to another room like in the hospital. Love the flexibility it has with my family life. This job allows me to still go to school functions for my kids and take off for doctors appointments in between patients without having to use PTO. Love the team I work with, and also love my manager. Work can sometimes get crazy, but they try their hardest to make sure we have what we need to take care of our patients as well as ourselves. Even on my craziest day, it's never as bad as when I worked in hospital
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Patients fall in love with you and try to call you all times of the day, lol, luckily they have on call service available to them so you don't have to answer
Laid back- fast paced- family oriented-flexible
RN Office Nurse (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 5, 2018
After years in the field, I decided that I wanted to give the office life a try. I applied to work for Egan after my last agency could not give me the opportunity for advancement. I knew from the beginning of my interview that I would love working for this company. We have a workflow to complete but given the freedom and empowerment to get the job done. The company is family oriented, very understanding if personal issues arise, and are flexible if time off is needed. I had unexpected medical issues arise and was given the time off with pay despite not having enough pto to cover my absence. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with some really awesome coworkers. We are a little family here, we have each other’s back. The office staff is supportive of the field staff and go above and beyond what is needed to make sure the field staff have as easy of a day/schedule as possible. Management takes into account on a daily basis where the field staff are compared to where the patients are located. Office personnel will even go into the field to cover patient visits if the field staff cannot accommodate the patient load for the day.
Pros
very flexible with personal life issues
Cons
i honestly love my job and co-workers
LPN Part-Time
LPN (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAAugust 20, 2018
Unfortunately, I have nothing nice to say about this company. Family owned & poorly managed. Management does not actively work on getting good assignment bids for the area, therefore field work is short-term (very short). Also, based on my patients, it was mostly Medicaid, which explains much of the inconsistent scheduling. I am sorry I ever got involved. Management is almost non-existent....no communication.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, wages, & oversight
Do not work their!!!
Company (Former Employee) –  LouisianaJuly 16, 2018
The worst job I ever had!!! Overworked, low pay, horrible working conditions, metal abuse, dishonest crooked shady owners, and I can go on and on. If you ask for a raise they will get rid of you. Don't waste you time with this company.
Pros
Cons
Every bad thing you could think of
Worst company I have worked for in recent years.
Prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAMay 21, 2018
CEO does random stuff and plays favorites. Proper training is almost non-existent. They drive away good workers. If anyone asks for a raise, they are told from the CEO how much of a horrible worker they are even if they are one of the best. A lot of shady stuff goes on with Medicare reimbursement too.
Home Health Training Ground
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Plaquemine, LAMay 17, 2018
High paced High acuity agency that is a great place to learn Home Health.
Owner is a kind man despite his unrealistic expectations of staff.
Upper management is approachable and pleasant.
Middle management are kind and respectful despite the expectations placed on them
Human Resources is always helpful and knowledgeable
Pros
There is lots of money to be made if you are willing to travel and work hard
Cons
Work life balance is lacking.
Not as Glamorous as they try to make it seem
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAMay 15, 2018
This company is always short on nurses.Which in turn always makes the rest of the staff really busy. On top of hiring you for one area they will add to your load without telling you and they dont care if its hours away from your designated area, and you dont get to say no. They promise one thing deliver another. The pay is not what it sounds like. You would have to take 12 patients daily to make the higher end of salary.You can bring issues to the attention of the superiors and owners multiple times which comes with non delivered promises. There is a REASON this company is always hiring nurses.
Pros
Flexible time
Cons
Make you drive all over the state without option, lack of respect from superiors
Very poor management, you take the job after being told for one position then they never call you for work
Aide (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAMay 11, 2018
Management doesn't care about there workers. Very unorganized, your so called bosses ignore you when you ask for work. One of the worst jobs ever. Everyone quits.
Pros
$10/hr.... Whenever you do get work
Cons
To many to name.....
Busy healthcare company that cares about patients and staff
RN (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAApril 27, 2018
I have worked for Egan for 15 years and have served in the field and office. The company is family oriented and management is approachable. This will be my forever employer.. I am very proud to be an Egan employee.
Pros
good benefits, opportunity for advancement
Cons
parking is limited
Unorganized
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  WestbankApril 14, 2018
You are told that you are being hired for 1 area. On Day 2, that goes out the window. You have to fill in around the city and Timbuck2 Call will take u everywhere!!!! You still have to work the next morning after being up all night.
Pros
Benefits, but never got them
Cons
makes it less than minimum wage
No Comment
Field RN/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 6, 2017
Need to Work on Organization and Structure and keeping enough staff to see the patients, have more respect and consideration for current employees, provide raises, need more opportunities for advancement ....................................................................................................................
Beware
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 8, 2017
Worked for this company and it was the most miserable job I've ever had. They claim 70-80,000/year. Do not fall for it... that is only if u work all day and night. Management don't care about the nurses, they only care that patients are seen no matter what you have to sacrifice. Once you are home for the night, you still have charting to do. They do NOT pay overtime. They make this sound glamorous but it's everything BUT!!! I HIGHLY encourage anyone considering this to find something else... or have a back up plan because it's just a matter of time. The nurses constantly complain about their jobs bc they get the short end of the stick. If management only took in to consideration that it is bc of THE field nurses that this industry is even possible, maybe they would get their stuff together and treat them better.
Pros
Not a darn thing
Cons
Very laid back place to work
Insurance Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAOctober 14, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with some really awesome coworkers. We were a little family in our department. However, raises are never given and there is no room for advancement.
Pros
Very flexible and accomodating, allows employees to attend school functions for their kids and to go to doctor appointments
Cons
No room for advancement
Excellent Employer
Insurance (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LASeptember 14, 2017
I left a company that was a complete nightmare to work. Egan Home Health & Hospice is a great job to come to everyday. The office staff is nice and the environment is not burdening. We have goals and tasks to complete but given the freedom and empowerment to get the job done. If you are not a bit of a self-starter, this may not be for you.
Patients constantly compliment the clinical staff on how well they take care of them. The company as a whole is very patient-centric. It is nice to know we take care of our patients so well. My own family members have been patients and they enjoyed having the staff that served them. No company is perfect but this one sure comes closer than most.
Pros
Great work environment, management is well trained, executive staff aware and proactive.
Cons
Nothing really.
Great place to work! Closed my own business to come work for EGAN.
co-Marketing Director & Assistant Administrator (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAMay 22, 2017
I closed what at the time was a relatively lucrative retail medical supply business for an opportunity to work at EGAN full-time. I had done part-time/as-needed work for them in the past, and when I was offered a full-time position it was too good to turn down.

I had to endure some losses related to closing my business on such short notice, but in the bigger picture it was well worth the decision.

I've been able to recoup about 20% of the money lost by selling the inventory in-stock when I closed it down bit by bit on third-party marketplaces. That number should gradually increase in time.

That said, my business didn't come with health insurance, time off (much less paid time off) and a retirement plan.

The company is familiar with my work and work ethic, and I'm allowed to perform my job duties without being scrutinized by someone higher-up the food chain.

Data suggests my work has been of great benefit to the company, which pleases me. It's nice to know that I'm carrying my weight and then some, helping southeast Louisiana's best home care and hospice agency grow and expand.
Pros
Pay, culture, management style, good colleagues
Cons
My commute stinks but everyone who lives where I live and works where I would can say the same.
Very poor training program with poor leadership.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Gonzales, LAMarch 11, 2016
Small company, very little support and training from the leadership team. No true direction, goals, or professionalism.
Pros
Cons
Poor training and leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Egan Home Health & Hospice. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7