EJ Pope & Son Employee Reviews

I love it
Subway Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NCJuly 6, 2019
It's a great place to work. Management is VERY understanding and will do what ever they can to work out any issues you may have. I have the best boss ever!
If you have no options
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Morehead City, NCJune 29, 2019
The location I worked at management sucked they would just hide in back watch Netflix all day and expect you to do everything while they did nothing. If there is ever an emergency that you needed to leave for good luck no one will come in to cover so you can take care of what you need to.
Pros
Cons
You get to work to death
good place for first job
Gas Station Attendant (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCOctober 16, 2018
good place for first job or for a second job weekly pay and flexible hours. They are willing to work with you on your schedule. Family based. Chance to move up in the company.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
healthcare is expensive
It was ok
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NCAugust 12, 2018
1st mgr that hired me was great and loved by all..She was hard when needed but friendly at the same time..My biggest complaint is when I got fired.I asked about getting my 401k transferred.Was told that company policy keeps any $$ you have built up( if you got fired)1-allways read the fine print!!
2-Basic I got robbed.
Pros
Goog hrs-decent pay at the time
Cons
All day on your feet
Very competitive with other locations
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NCMarch 15, 2018
I’ve been with company almost 3 years. I’m ready for a change some task as a store manager are stressful. It’s hard to balance work and home life due to always being on call.
Pros
Benefits and my employees
Cons
Store hours
Productive and Fast pace job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kinston, NCMarch 12, 2018
I enjoyed working for the company . I enjoyed the customers on a daily basics . They made the day go by . Management had a few turn overs . But it was ok afterword.
Pros
New people, Face pace
Cons
Short breaks if any and managment turn overs
A great opportunituy to improve my skills.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Winterville, NCJanuary 31, 2018
In the two years I worked for Handy Mart, I have learned many things, I've learned how a successful business is managed and operated on a daily basis.
Pays the bills
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Faison, NCAugust 3, 2017
The managers can be very nice but, I feel the head manager doesn't take her job very seriously. She lets a lot of things slide and she comes in when she get ready.
Pros
We get free food that we make.
Cons
If one person doesn't complete their job the next one that comes in has to.
Confidential (Former Employee) –  Mount Olive, NCJune 5, 2017
The owners truly cared about the employees. Celebrated little wins as well as the big wins.
Management was great to work with, they gave crew autonomy.
Sometimes it was fun and sometimes it wasn't
Asst. Manager/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Faison, NCSeptember 15, 2016
Clocked in: Performed the safety walk through, help previous cashier count down register, and write down lottery. Ran the register, stocked cooler in between customers, ate a bite when finished with coolers and customers. I attended a manager trainee program, became somewhat proficient in C-Store, counted thousand of dollars by hand everyday, used a 10 digit calculator. Management can be the make it or break it in the retail industry. Upper management was great, supervisor not so much. My co-workers were fun and exciting. The hardest part was staff. The most enjoyable part was the pay check.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
No breaks for long periods of time
ok place
Gas Hauler/ Tanker Driver (Former Employee) –  Mount Olive, NCSeptember 3, 2016
Don't have enough trucks but it's a ok place to work.
They lease their trucks thru Ryder and they cannot fix anything unless a computer tells them what the problem is.
Pros
small company
Cons
use ryder to fix trucks
horrible company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 9, 2016
they tell us to have a we care attitude but the company doesn't care at all about you its the lowest paying company in tank town in charlotte NC just let them get you carded for the terminals then get out between management and constant pay issues its not worth staying
Pros
Cons
low pay no time off garbage mangement
Stressful workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCAugust 20, 2015
The job itself isn't too difficult, but stressful due to management issues. Your job can be pleasant or very difficult depending on the manager you have. There is far too much drama in the workplace and is near impossible to avoid. When following the chain of command for a complaint on a supervisor I was ignored and put down, my issues never fully listened to or resolved from anyone. I do not recommend this job.
Pros
Easy to move up, decent pay
Cons
little to no breaks, stressful
Excellent workplace with family-like relationships
Lead Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCMarch 12, 2015
A typical day at work would begin with coming in, taking over the night shift by taking an inventory of all our controlled products like tobacco and counting down the safe . From there, balancing serving customers and vendors, completing paperwork, and keeping the store clerks on task and keeping the store clean. The relationship between co workers was like that of a family . The higher management is extremely capable of weeding out those that were dishonest or unreliable. It was a teamwork effort keeping a twenty-four hour location running . I really enjoyed working with the customers we had , and knowing I helped to make their day better when the left the store. The least enjoyable was stocking the coolers, its just too dang cold.
Pros
breaks allowed whenever work was copleted and store was manned.
Cons
shortage of employees
it was a very customer service oriented company.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington NCOctober 24, 2013
It was a very good place to work when I started there 13 years ago. Overtime it went down hill and no job security. Allot of favoritism was shown by certain ones to certain ones. This made it hard to keep your moral and motivation going. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I supervised and watching them become successful. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the favoritism everyday.
Pros
Family oriented
Cons
Director of operations
stable work enviornment
Transport Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Mount Olive, NCJune 27, 2013
good place to work ,coworkers where always friendly,management took a personal intrest in all there employes
Decent Pay, too much for a single parent
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Mount Olive, NCMay 22, 2013
been here for 3 years, pays the bills but scheduling is very hard to plan or work around
Pros
Pay
Cons
Working all holidays, we never close, managment well....
Very fun place to work
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mount Olive, NCMarch 29, 2013
A typical day at work was very fun. I loved helping the customers and helping the business get up and running. Management was new so everyone was getting used to doing things the right way.
productive and a joyful place to work
manager (Former Employee) –  havelock,N.C.March 7, 2012
workin for this company way a great place to work the managers all worked together within there district to help each store to improve sales ect.