El Pollo Loco Employee Reviews

Stressful with not much help
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, CAOctober 22, 2018
The hours were ok but the manager didn't like me staying later to work my full 8 hours. Got more responsibilities without a raise. Was responsible for a lot with little time to little help. Had to do lost things myself. Manager barely helped. But she did give me days off if I asked for it. Co workers were nice and hard working. Needed more structure and training. I was never trained properly. Learned everything in my own and cross trained myself.
Pros
Days off when requested
Cons
Pay for food, not paying enough, stressful
Great benefits but thats it..
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 26, 2018
EPL gives you company phone, great health benefits, but that's pretty much the best thing about working there. As a Maintenance Technician you are responsible for everything, tech the staff who doesnt care or want to learn. Break everything, and I mean everything. When its not fixed in their time frame you get called by numerous people asking why, and when you dont have a part, good luck explaining why, and no reason is good enough.
Pros
free lunch, great benefits
Cons
Bad management, bad staff at stores
It is a good job to have
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 15, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people that are very kind and nice ,they make your day a whole lot better. It’s really not that hard but sometimes you get rude people and it makes your day bad in my opinion because you just don’t want to deal with those type of people. I learn many things ,when I first started I didn’t know how to memorize many things at once and now I do. I learned a little about managing and making food that we sell. I learned a little about everything .
Pros
Discounts for food
Cons
No healthcare, pay vacation, pay overtime, not a consistent schedule, no raise
Its a good start
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 19, 2018
El Pollo Loco is a good place to start. They accept most people that apply to it when positions are available. It gets you another place of work experience in your resume and more. You may start of with low hours, but with time you will get them raised and so will your opportunities in the job as well. I just don't recommend staying there for a long time since there are better opportunities and jobs in the world.
stressful work environment with no room to grow in the company
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 30, 2018
fast paced work environment while helping customers I learned to solve issues on my own, not so much a positive place to work sometimes coworkers did not do their jobs correctly. I had a lot of responsibilities with little or no pay raise.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
No hours/ no promotions
Good workplace for a first time employee or students
Cashier/ Service Assistant/ Food Expeditor (Former Employee) –  North Hills, CASeptember 11, 2018
some days might be really quick and fun with other employees
management was mostly friendly with the staff
culture was decent
rush hour can be stressful when workloads become more demanding
Pros
discounted lunches
Cons
no benefits
Great experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 11, 2018
I loved working for el pollo loco! It was a great experience . I got to work there for about a year and a half and I had more than 5 general managers but they all had good intentions and helped me out in different ways to do my job well . The atmosphere of el pollo loco was always great . I can never be upset when I’m working .
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Never got a raise
Good for getting experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CAAugust 27, 2018
During all the time I worked in EPL, I learned many things, but in my personal opinion the salary is very little for all the work that you have to do. At least in the time that I worked for this company, you have to do a little of everything, not only the employees, but also the supervisors.
Pros
experience
Cons
no benefits
Fun people
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 23, 2018
I love working there and I now wish to be a manager. The people are fun and even though with some co-workers there is a language difference but everyone trys there best to communicate
Pros
Everyone is really nice
Cons
Hard to get a raise
flexible hours
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAJuly 3, 2018
poor work environment hours are good, training is terrible, you won't get a raise, stressful, underpaid and overworked workers. Sometimes breaks would be cut short because it gets busy. There are never enough workers on a shift to make things run smoothly
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
breaks cut short sometimes
Awsome evnviorement very culture in they authenticity el pollo loco gives
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVJuly 1, 2018
EPL was an awsome experience I have learn alot from the company and very greatful to have been apart of the team. Although i believe im ready to take on greater challenges and it will be more offering for myself and the company.
Pros
Discounts on meals and team reconginition
Cons
Not many benefits to offer
Quick pace and a lot of packaging
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CAJuly 8, 2018
Very quick pace. A lot of restrictions and it’s very competitive. The management could be better. The salary is good and there is a lot of packaging during work hours.
Pros
50% off lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Stressful but fun at times
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 5, 2018
It was a good start up job. Minimum wage so the pay is not good. No benefits and no over time or paid days off. But the people you work with and meet make the place berable.
Fun and learning experience
Manager/Lead (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAAugust 17, 2018
We started our day prepping the food.
Helped guest with orders
Cleaned up
Counted the money and did inventory.
Made deposits every day.
Made big orders for special events
Pros
free lunch.
Cons
no benefits
El Pollo Loco
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 27, 2018
As a drive thru cashier, it can get pretty busy and stressful. It is very important to make sure that the orders are given accurately and in a timely manner. This is a good job for an individual that also attends school during the day. High willingness to work with your schedule.
Pros
50% off meals
Cons
No annual evaluations or raises
Poor Management
Drive-Thru Cashier/Burrito Station/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXApril 5, 2018
Had to take on additional responsibilities outside of job description due to lack of employees, but was "assured" a raise or job title advancement. Neither happened. Also, was forced to clock out and stay until closing for fear of managers talking behind my back to favored employees. Examples included that I was not a "team player" due to my desire to be paid for my services.
Pros
Good Food
Cons
Poor Management
Fast paced challenging job
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Multiple, last in Montebello, CANovember 1, 2018
Training of management positions from outside hires is intense, but there is still a lot to be learned on the job. I worked briefly at a few corporate locations before last store, each store has its own culture reflective of store manager in charge. I didn't feel like the regional manager I worked with offered much support, nor some of the store managers I worked with. I learned how to effectively inventory product and manage level of goods. Many people I worked with were very pleasant and hard working individuals trying to earn an honest living from an honest day's work. Learning to diffuse angry, dissatisfied customers was probably the hardest part of the job considering typically high average check compared to most other quick service restaurants.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks, sometimes faulty equipment
Fast phase at all times
Cashier/ Food prep (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CAJuly 3, 2018
Co workers were chill and nice, the job was stressful during rush hours. No benefits, no direct deposit, low pay rate. Good for beginners or people with no job experience, this will get you to be a fast worker.
Tough first job but I was grateful for it
Front of House/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 30, 2018
It was a good experience working at El Pollo Loco as my first job because it set the work standard pretty high for me. It was a lot of long hours and hard work.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
Short break, unpaid overtime, lack of employee problem solving
el pollo loco
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 24, 2018
In my experience at el pollo loco i started as a cashier. I advanced to performing more and more duties and responsibilities as i was there longer. My manager advanced me to working the drive thru cashier position in which i was told got paid more simply because they are more experienced and have more responsibilities. I did not experience a pay raise after being advanced.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at El Pollo Loco. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

1.4InHerSight Score

1.0Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

1.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight