Elder-Beerman Employee Reviews

Not a consistent work environment
Receiving Associate (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVJune 10, 2018
The hours at Elder-Beerman were never consistent. Promised different hours and then would be scheduled completely different hours, usually less. Except at Christmas time when short-hour employees who are legally not supposed to work more than 16 hours per week would be scheduled 40 or more and required to work them or at risk of being fired.
Pros
Understanding of work/life balance
Cons
Inconsistent hours, lack of communication, no raises, no vacation days, no unemployment offer after bankruptcy and liquidation closing
Fun place work
Cash Office Supervisor/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYSeptember 24, 2018
Elder-Beer-man was a great place to work and benefits with paid vacations , paid personnel days off . Was like a family great team work everyone got along and alway striped in to help other associates when need
Pros
Flexible. Schedule, benefits
Cons
Didn’t have enough workers scheduled worked on a Skelton crew at times
stressful workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kettering, OHMarch 27, 2018
The culture and people I worked with we amazing. But the hours are unreliable. you have no say in your schedule. they play favorites with employees. And the pay is next to nothing. I never got the raises I was supposed to get. There were rumors that they cut lunches we didn't take out of out paychecks. though I cannot prove this. We are expected to meet sale and credit goals even though we aren't commissioned employees. overall the other people I worked with were awesome but the managers are most concerned with profit than with people.
Pros
great team to work with
Cons
little pay, stressful and demanding
My review of working at Elder-Beerman
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Beloit, WIMarch 6, 2018
In my opinion working at elderbeerman was not a pleasant experience. This was a small department store that did not have consistent hours for its employees. I was the only full time employee aside from the managers and there was only two part time associates. The other employees were short hour and lucky to get ten to twelve hours a week. The job duties were agreeable but many of the managers at the store were lazy and didnt help other employees. We were very under staffed and had a rule to not call in other employees when short staffed, so many days I spent five to six hours out of my eight hour shift alone with no help. The only time managers would help was to deligate task or if you had to use the restroom.
Cons
no benefits, minimal job growth, poor management
Generally low morale, disorganized management lacking necessary communication
Estée Lauder Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Paducah, KYMarch 14, 2018
Okay place to work if you’re just looking for something to do to temporarily make money, I wouldn’t recommend attempting to start a career here. Overall the business is disorganized, people aren’t given the tools they need to execute their jobs effectively.
Pros
Discounts, benefits
Cons
Very disorganized upper management, lack of implementation of rules and procedures equally, just a general lack of communication between all levels of management.
Company in Liquadation
Elizabeth Arden Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHMay 21, 2018
CEO and upper management had miss management of holdings, and mismanaged the business. The management at store level was divided with lack of communication and project plans.
Pros
Family like atmosphere with employees
benefits
not flexible
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OHMay 14, 2018
they were very inflexible. They had no benefits and pay was horrible. It was stressful and understaffed. The management was rude. the discount was the only bonus to this job
Productive and fast moving.
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHDecember 5, 2018
Started work at 6 AM unloading the truck of boxes of merchandise. Placing the boxes in different areas regarding which department was printed on the box. Then we opened the boxes for that department, hung the garments up and removed the plastic covering the garment. When the rack of garments was filled, we attached security tags to each garment. Then the rack was taken to the proper department in the store. We continued until all boxes were done. According to the number of boxes received, we stopped at 12 Noon and would return the next day at 6 AM to finish the boxes that were still remaining. We all worked together and it was a very friendly atmosphere. Some of the heavy boxes were handled by the men.
Pros
Sometimes there were free bagels, pizza, sandwiches & ice cream. Also, extra coupon day for the employees.
Cons
Store closed!
Not a bad second job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Adrian, MIDecember 28, 2017
I have been a short hour employee for 5+ years. In that time it never benefited me to seek a full time position as you are required to work all different hours with no set schedule. The raises have not really increased to compete with minimum wage increases. (Currently at the min rate lost all raises earned w/ each increase). Management is good but the overall morale has decreased during my time there. Pretty good discount that I use frequently!
Pros
Employee Discount!
Cons
Wages, and customers angry about coupon policies.....
Great place to work. We had a sales staff that had been working together from 20 to 40 years. You don't see that often. Management staff also.
Furniture Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 16, 2018
Great place to work,great sales staff,and management was wonderful also. Too bad corporate wasn't the same way. Had worked long enough to gain 4 weeks vacation, which was great. Great customer service and great delivery team.
Pros
Great work schedule, we all were part of a great sales team.
Cons
Extended hours on certain sales events, which did not work for furniture.
Productive, fun, and enjoyable job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Defiance, OHSeptember 3, 2018
Working at Elder Beerman taught me how to manage my time better and do multiple things at one time. I learned how to deal with customers when they weren't happy and help to make them happy. I also was able to learn and figure out the best ways to give the customer the best deals possible. The hardest part of the job was being able to keep up with the fitting rooms when you were on the floor all by yourself, and also trying to explain to customers why their coupons would not work. I enjoyed helping the customers and getting to know the regular customers that would come in.
Pros
Discounts, flexibility
Cons
Coupons
management was astonishing
Men's and Children's Department Manger (Former Employee) –  Paducah, KYJuly 15, 2018
Management at Elder-beerman was astonishing. They were good people with great morals and values. The lack of advancement is what would keep an individual from growing in the company.
Pros
management
Cons
lack of advancement
Cash Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHAugust 15, 2018
I was employed part time working in the cash office. I was responsible for counting all cash from the previous days sales. I made all bank deposits and also ordered change as needed for daily operations. Management was extremely helpful when needed and made working there a joy. I loved my job and was terribly disappointed when the announcement was made that the store was closing.
Pros
Pleasant place to work
Cons
No cons
Has a relaxed environment and great discounts
Customer service employee (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INJune 15, 2018
A typical day involved clocking in, going to your department, and getting done whatever needs done around the store while providing customer service. I learned excellent customer service and how to handle stressful moments. The management was good at this store. Workplace culture was friendly, relaxed, and simple. The hardest part of the job was finding something to do. The most enjoyable part was the people i worked with.
I loved my job and the people I worked with.
Sales Support/Cash Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Heath, OHSeptember 7, 2018
A typical day could be fast paced with several things needing to be done in a short time. I learned how to multitask. Sometimes management was slim due to scheduling and people would come to me with their questions. I did as much as I could to help them. We were like a family.
Pros
Able to work independently
Cons
Budget cuts
Bad business decisions
Cash Office Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioOctober 15, 2018
Elder-Beerman should still be in business today. Very poor decisions by upper management lead to the downfall of a once great retailer. I enjoyed working there, but worked too hard for it to end like it did.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Low pay
In my opinion
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Beloit, WIMay 24, 2018
I enjoyed working at Elder Beerman and was very sad when the Bon-Ton company closed. Before we knew we were closing It was pretty upbeat and all got along. I worked closely with management and had many given projects as well as all sales associate duties. When we learned of the closing it became more stressful but did not affect the overall work environment. The hourly rate of pay was not good, but the over-all monthly income was a welcome addition to my household.
Pros
flexible hours and days
Cons
low pay and company closed
Productive and supportive workplace.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Paducah, KYAugust 18, 2018
Elder-Beerman was an amazing company that supported it's workers and customers. Customers had access to many different associates that could help them with all of their needs and could almost always find what they needed. Workers were treated with respect by management and were a trusted part of the company.
Productive, contact with the public, interesting
Shoe Department Retail Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHSeptember 5, 2018
Productive, contact with the public, interesting. Not much to talk about since the company is bankrupt and no longer exist as a corporation. A liquidation company has dispensed of all merchandise.
Pros
friendly work force
Cons
management not so good
Good starting job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 11, 2018
This was my very first job. My starting pay was $8.25 and I was still living at home and didn't have any bills so this was more than enough for me. For long-term situations, this job would not have worked for me. Management was not willing to work around school schedules so I ended up leaving. The majority of the people that work here are middle-aged and elderly. I was what they called short hour which is ten hours or less a week. You could usually go in for shifts but that is what they scheduled you. The discount was 20% when you first started and 25% after you had been there a year. The discount was also off of full price and sale items. They held employee events like Christmas parties but the environment wasn't very friendly. Everyone just mainly kept to themselves. When I worked there several other college-aged kids were there and we became friends for the time that we were there. Sometimes I miss working there, but there are better-paying jobs.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Low pay, low hours, poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Elder-Beerman. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.8InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight