Elder-Beerman Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
went bankrupt
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVAugust 16, 2018
This company is no longer available for employment. This company filled bankruptcy in April 2018. The company will not be honoring the sick days to their employees
Pros
non
Cons
all
Cash Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHAugust 15, 2018
I was employed part time working in the cash office. I was responsible for counting all cash from the previous days sales. I made all bank deposits and also ordered change as needed for daily operations. Management was extremely helpful when needed and made working there a joy. I loved my job and was terribly disappointed when the announcement was made that the store was closing.
Pros
Pleasant place to work
Cons
No cons
review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYAugust 9, 2018
The most enjoyable thing about this job was everything. I loved my managers and the general manager. I loved my employees. the elders there were the most fun.
I loved working for this store
Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHAugust 8, 2018
They are closing so I can’t really recommend any tips. It was a great place to work but the powers that be did not do well bouncing back after acquiring too many stores at one time
Elder Beerman was not a great experience
Estee Lauder Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJuly 26, 2018
Elder Beerman was not a great experience. The Management was subpar and showed favoritism. Employees were not held to the same standards concerning time, attendance, dress code and work ethic.
Not the best choice
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Philadelphia, OHJuly 26, 2018
I felt like there was a power struggle going on in management. The manager was on a power trip 90% of the time. She would say no to things just because she could. I did not enjoy that part of my job. There was no leniency in "rules" when they were simply not at all practical.
A mix of emotions.
Selling Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHJuly 25, 2018
The work was enjoyable. Having the freedom to merchandise and train new associates was enjoyable. There was a great lack of communication a lot of the time which made it difficult to follow rules sometimes. The employees were great to work with. Unfortunately this company is going out of business and I will greatly miss all the associates I had the pleasure of working with.
slow pace workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Beloit, WIJuly 18, 2018
get to work and figure out what department your in and go make sure it stays neat and just walk around and help the customers. management was helpful to a point sometimes had to ask a few times for help.
Pros
got good breaks
Cons
no healthcare
management was astonishing
Men's and Children's Department Manger (Former Employee) –  Paducah, KYJuly 15, 2018
Management at Elder-beerman was astonishing. They were good people with great morals and values. The lack of advancement is what would keep an individual from growing in the company.
Pros
management
Cons
lack of advancement
Not the worst place I've worked at
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHJuly 14, 2018
Not bad not great. They don't do the best business so I would be worried about job security. Many of there stores have closed down, or are closing down.
Pros
Good people
Cons
people who have worked there longer, think they are just so much better than you.
Fun
Customer service, retail (Former Employee) –  Coldwater, MIJuly 6, 2018
Worked on the floor making display's, stocking the shelves, dealing with customers, running the cash register, putting items away that were not wanted or left behind. I liked working there and best part was doing the stock early in the morning.
Great potential work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJuly 6, 2018
Clock in, perform duties assigned to best of ability.
Ask questions and be involved and focused.
Interviewers need to stay professional.
Great environment to work in.
Direction and communication.
The potential available for increase.
Pros
Professional appearance, Sales experience
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJuly 1, 2018
It sad that they are going out of business. It was overall a great place to work. I did not have issues with any staff or managers. Holidays were very busy but there was always work and shifts to pick up.
Company is going out of business.
Sales/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Findlay, OH 45840June 27, 2018
I have worked for the company for over 10 years. Very stressful and lots of favoritism. The company closing is the push I needed to get out of there...
Has a relaxed environment and great discounts
Customer service employee (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INJune 15, 2018
A typical day involved clocking in, going to your department, and getting done whatever needs done around the store while providing customer service. I learned excellent customer service and how to handle stressful moments. The management was good at this store. Workplace culture was friendly, relaxed, and simple. The hardest part of the job was finding something to do. The most enjoyable part was the people i worked with.
Not a consistent work environment
Receiving Associate (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVJune 10, 2018
The hours at Elder-Beerman were never consistent. Promised different hours and then would be scheduled completely different hours, usually less. Except at Christmas time when short-hour employees who are legally not supposed to work more than 16 hours per week would be scheduled 40 or more and required to work them or at risk of being fired.
Pros
Understanding of work/life balance
Cons
Inconsistent hours, lack of communication, no raises, no vacation days, no unemployment offer after bankruptcy and liquidation closing
Flexible Job
Shipping and Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Hurricane, WVMay 29, 2018
This job was flexible as it began in the early morning and most of the time you were done by lunch. It was never slow and there was always something to do. My coworkers made it enjoyable. Lifting the heavy boxes would wear a person out.
Pros
store discount
Cons
standing for long periods of time
The company went Bankrupt
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Adrian, MIMay 28, 2018
The company went bankrupt and I lost my job after 6 years some of my coworkers had been there 18 or more years so not much to say. There is no longer going to be Elderbeerman as they will all be closed soon.
In my opinion
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Beloit, WIMay 24, 2018
I enjoyed working at Elder Beerman and was very sad when the Bon-Ton company closed. Before we knew we were closing It was pretty upbeat and all got along. I worked closely with management and had many given projects as well as all sales associate duties. When we learned of the closing it became more stressful but did not affect the overall work environment. The hourly rate of pay was not good, but the over-all monthly income was a welcome addition to my household.
Pros
flexible hours and days
Cons
low pay and company closed
Company in Liquadation
Elizabeth Arden Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHMay 21, 2018
CEO and upper management had miss management of holdings, and mismanaged the business. The management at store level was divided with lack of communication and project plans.
Pros
Family like atmosphere with employees
benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Elder-Beerman. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.8InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight