Elder-Beerman Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Not a consistent work environment
Receiving Associate (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVJune 10, 2018
The hours at Elder-Beerman were never consistent. Promised different hours and then would be scheduled completely different hours, usually less. Except at Christmas time when short-hour employees who are legally not supposed to work more than 16 hours per week would be scheduled 40 or more and required to work them or at risk of being fired.
Pros
Understanding of work/life balance
Cons
Inconsistent hours, lack of communication, no raises, no vacation days, no unemployment offer after bankruptcy and liquidation closing
Flexible Job
Shipping and Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Hurricane, WVMay 29, 2018
This job was flexible as it began in the early morning and most of the time you were done by lunch. It was never slow and there was always something to do. My coworkers made it enjoyable. Lifting the heavy boxes would wear a person out.
Pros
store discount
Cons
standing for long periods of time
The company went Bankrupt
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Adrian, MIMay 28, 2018
The company went bankrupt and I lost my job after 6 years some of my coworkers had been there 18 or more years so not much to say. There is no longer going to be Elderbeerman as they will all be closed soon.
In my opinion
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Beloit, WIMay 24, 2018
I enjoyed working at Elder Beerman and was very sad when the Bon-Ton company closed. Before we knew we were closing It was pretty upbeat and all got along. I worked closely with management and had many given projects as well as all sales associate duties. When we learned of the closing it became more stressful but did not affect the overall work environment. The hourly rate of pay was not good, but the over-all monthly income was a welcome addition to my household.
Pros
flexible hours and days
Cons
low pay and company closed
Company in Liquadation
Elizabeth Arden Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHMay 21, 2018
CEO and upper management had miss management of holdings, and mismanaged the business. The management at store level was divided with lack of communication and project plans.
Pros
Family like atmosphere with employees
benefits
Work place was rough and falling apart
Receiving/ Stock Associate - From (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHMay 20, 2018
A typical day at work was very fixed on what to do. The typical day of work was short but it went by very quickly. I learned a lot from my time there, I learned how the retail system works and how much work is put into it all. The management was great and relaxed, it was sort of like a family but very professional.
Pros
decent sized breaks, lunch and good hours
Cons
Sometime there is no work to be done and you have to leave.
Retail Consultant (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, KYMay 18, 2018
good start up job. All management and employees were very friendly. The work is repetitive and can be a bit boring at times, slow paced. relaxed working environment,
Pros
good management
Cons
closing business
Liked working there - fun atmosphere - nice co-workers- good management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Teays Valley, WVMay 16, 2018
Fun workplace with an
excellent management team,
flexible work schedules, nice co-workers.
Would continue working there but store is going out of business and closing July 2018.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
short breaks
Great place to work at until new management had arrived.
Sales Associate and Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Paducah, KYMay 16, 2018
It was a good place to work, loved everyone I worked with and the job. But we lost management for a bit and I had problems with the new manager at the time.
not flexible
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OHMay 14, 2018
they were very inflexible. They had no benefits and pay was horrible. It was stressful and understaffed. The management was rude. the discount was the only bonus to this job
Job security
LANCOME BEAUTY ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMay 1, 2018
Managers were not there for their associates. Job security was always a problem. Both stores I worked at closed with very little time to look for another job.
Pros
free dinner or lunch during peak sales periods
Cons
job security
Customer Service
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHApril 29, 2018
Over 30 years with this company and the customers and the employees are like family. Always enjoyed meeting new customers and helping customers find items they were looking for.
Productive, fast paced environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHApril 25, 2018
Elder Beerman is a Good place to work. There products are of great quality, returns are fast and easy and the associates are friendly and knowledgeable.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not applicable
fun place to work, best management around
Sales Associate, Cash Office Management (Current Employee) –  Sandusky, OHApril 22, 2018
I absolutely love this job and wish I didn't have to leave. I enjoyed everything I did there! Each person I worked with I got close to. We were like one big family! Lunch breaks were long enough. I learned so many things working here. Cash office skills, customer service skills and more. There is not one bad thing I could possibly say about this place!!!!!
Pros
Lunch breaks were fair, best managment aroun town!
Cons
N/a
Great place to work but the internet and poor executive management killed the company
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVApril 17, 2018
Best job I ever had. It's a shame the company could not stay afloat in today's retail environment. The staff is great. The atmosphere is friendly, relaxed and warm. There is a big emphasis on getting credit applications but otherwise it was a really great place to work and build a retail career, especially in cosmetics.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Low pay
going out of business
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Zanesville, OHApril 17, 2018
It's going out of business anyways. Honestly though it wasn't a bad place to work considering I made some of my best friends working there. Hours sucked, but it was a decent job
Flexible hours, busy
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Heath, OHApril 17, 2018
This job is a great fit for you if you are currently in school and/or need a flexible schedule. It can be very stressful at times as it is a costumer service position. Overall, it is a good temporary job.
Pros
Flexible schedule, increases job skills
Cons
Busy, poor pay
Good starting job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 11, 2018
This was my very first job. My starting pay was $8.25 and I was still living at home and didn't have any bills so this was more than enough for me. For long-term situations, this job would not have worked for me. Management was not willing to work around school schedules so I ended up leaving. The majority of the people that work here are middle-aged and elderly. I was what they called short hour which is ten hours or less a week. You could usually go in for shifts but that is what they scheduled you. The discount was 20% when you first started and 25% after you had been there a year. The discount was also off of full price and sale items. They held employee events like Christmas parties but the environment wasn't very friendly. Everyone just mainly kept to themselves. When I worked there several other college-aged kids were there and we became friends for the time that we were there. Sometimes I miss working there, but there are better-paying jobs.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Low pay, low hours, poor management
Credits
Cosmetic Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  ohioApril 10, 2018
All the company cares about is getting credit cards opened and they don't care how you have to go about doing it. They make poor business decisions and have run the company into the ground.
Nice working environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Piqua, OHApril 5, 2018
I liked working here, but at times it got really slow and having a seasonal job there, we were open until 11 for a week or two. Some of the managers were okay, some weren’t. i liked it though.
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Elder-Beerman. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.8InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight