Electric Power Research Institute Employee Reviews

Workplace Culture Unique
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 4, 2018
Very unique environment and interesting culture. The hardest part of this job was learning how to communicate with people who are so different. It is an environment that I do not wish to visit again.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 14, 2017
EPRI was one of the best companies I have had the pleasure to work for. I enjoyed going to work and interacting with all the different people who also work with EPRI from around the world.
great benefits
Financial Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 5, 2017
EPRI was a great company to work for. Great retirement package. At my time of employment the technology was a little outdated. They were using manual spreadsheets.
Too long ago to offer an up to date review
Multimedia (Training) Development Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 4, 2017
I worked at this organization over 10 years ago. This is too long ago to adequately write an up to day review. During the time I worked with this organization I found it to be a good place to work.
Current Employee
Software Engineer - Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 30, 2017
Great company to work for. There are possibilities for advancement, however, many have been here for a longtime; you may need to put in too many years for promotion.
Lack of communication from Management to everyone else
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 2, 2017
The company culture and management has shifted drastically in the last few years. The majority of upper management has shifted from Palo Alto to Charlotte. This has changed management style from one of collaboration to more of a one way top down style.
Great place to collaborate and learn
Software Developer, Associate (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 13, 2017
EPRI is a great place to show off your skills, learn new technologies, and feel great about contributing innovations. Every day provides opportunities to learn and work with great people.
Professional workplace setting with many advancement opportunities
Technician (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 29, 2016
At EPRI, a typical day at work is anything but typical. The projects presented can vary in many different ways which makes work anything but mundane. My co-workers are all very capable employees who communicate effectively and are ultimately here to progress in ways conducive to the company's future well being. The hardest part of the job is comes when problems are encountered with a project. Most of the time there is not a generic fix for the problems and a little bit of creativity might be required to continue but that is what is also makes it fun for people like me who enjoy those challenges and overcoming obstacles.
Pros
Exercise Area provided; Walking trails on campus
Cons
Productive and fun work place
Student Employee - Customer and Product Access (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 4, 2016
Management is very relaxing and there is no micromanagement involved. There is a ping pong table free to use and a basketball court at SAP. Has a small gym suitable for a quick workout. All of my co-workers are very nice and friendly. Everyone here is very easy to approach without feeling intimidated.
Pros
Free yogurt, fruits, coffee, and drink.
Average
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 16, 2016
Good career starter after college and great benefits. Pay if horrible. You have to literally fight blood sweat and tears to make any money
Well respected company with good compensation and benefits
Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 9, 2016
Good work/life balance, but very manager and program dependent. Good compensation and benefits. Travel can be excessive at times. Upper management disconnected from rest of company. Too many pet projects and project managers that lack experience and expertise in their given area. Often times get pushed into quantity of research results rather than quality. Lack of direction within certain programs. Very political funding system.
Would not recommend to further your career.
Infrastructure Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 17, 2016
The management at EPRI are not focused on improving the institute, only their positions within the management structure. I would put some deep thought into the decision of joining the team. since 2014 there has been 21 people leave the IT department due to lack of management. The total number of employees staffed full time is 13. The Human Resources department at EPRI is probably one of the worst I've come across in my 20 year career
Pros
Cons
Jr level management, HR department continue to keep their heads in the sand. Corruption at the highest level.
A nonprofit which is quietly about profit at the top.
Director (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 30, 2016
Poor healthcare = very very expensive. Cut throat "CFO group" breads negativity and is about budgets to ensure bonuses at the top, will exploit those of us who want to do good work and are willing to work extra hours with low supportive head count however the expectation of work being complete and perfect is of course prevalent. Cold non-personal/family oriented leadership. This is the case for all but those close to the CFO ensuring her success. Top level is out of touch and about profits in a non-profit!
Pros
10% 401K, 30% + Director Bonus
Cons
Executives out of touch and about profits in a non-profit…? Poor work life balance.
Conducts research and development in the energy industry
Technical Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 27, 2016
The Electric Power Research Institute, Inc. conducts research and development relating to the generation, delivery and use of electricity for the benefit of the public. An independent, nonprofit organization, we bring together scientists and engineers as well as experts from academia and the industry to help address challenges in electricity.

Our research provides both short- and long-term solutions that enable the transformation of power systems to be more flexible, resilient and connected. Our ultimate goal is to provide society with safe, reliable, affordable and environmentally responsible electricity.
Good Place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Haslet, TXDecember 4, 2015
Enjoyed My work and responsibilites very much. The people that I worked with were good. It was close to home for me to drive to work. got to work outside and inside.
Pros
good Place to work
Cons
Non profit organization with a family based atmosphere.
Manager, Office Services (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMarch 12, 2015
A typical day at work is very exciting. Dealing with the brilliant minds of scientist is very challenging and rewarding. The co-workers at EPRI are skilled and dedicated. Management allows you the space to grow personally and professionally. The most enjoyable part of working at EPRI was the family based atmosphere of a non-profit organization.
Pros
Excellent benefit package
Cons
For-profit politics in a non-profit organization
Good work environment
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAFebruary 11, 2015
People are really nice and accomodating. As an Intern, I learned everything about the company and the work on the job. Co-workers are nice and would stand by your judgement.
Intern used as a copy machine
Nuclear Fuels and Chemistry Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 12, 2014
I spent the summer literally retyping a manual with updates because the company lost. They had framed the job with all kinds of nice rhetoric of how I "would incorporate thermodynamic theory into the industry leading thermodynamics calculations software," but instead I literally retyped a 1000 page manuscript. I got paid decently for data entry work, but could have spent the summer better.
Pros
n/a
Cons
Interns are not given meaningful work
Very friendly
Preliminary Software Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 14, 2014
close knit groups of coworkers and managers. All inclusive campus for food and place of rest.
Pros
close knit
Cons
away from the main streets
Overall average company
QA Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 9, 2014
Overall average company. Good benefits, bonus. Management do not have good people skills.