Elgin Community College Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Quality educators
Nursing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILMay 15, 2018
The faculty are the heart of Elgin Community College. The staff is very caring and concerned about student success. The students are wonderful - with a strong desire to learn,
Spartan Leader
Spartan Leader (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILApril 30, 2018
This job is a great experience for be, it allows me to do what I really love... talk and also be able to help incoming freshman so that the feel comfortable at ECC as a new student.
Friendly coworkers, consistent work hard to find.
Biology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILApril 26, 2018
This is a nice, small school with friendly staff and a beautiful campus. I love my colleagues. I find that the calibur of student varies a lot here, but that is probably because I teach a wide range of classes, not anything inherent about the school. Because it is a smaller school, sometimes teaching assignments get cancelled and set credit hours cannot be guaranteed every semester. I would prefer more benefits, consistent work, and a full-time position.
Adjunct Instructor
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILFebruary 17, 2018
Great place to work! This is a wonderful school to work for. The staff and students are all great. Wonderful experience and happy I made the decision to do so.
Poor pay
Office Coordinator I (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILFebruary 6, 2018
The college goes through an extensive interview process and requires a degree but does not compensate accordingly. They are under a union which causes people to be lazy and not go above and beyond.
Pros
Spring and Winter Breaks as well as 4 day work weeks in the Summer
Cons
No advancement and union
It was a great job as an adjunct Professor
Adjunct Graphic Design Instructor (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILNovember 1, 2017
It was a great adjunct job. As an adjunct instructor we were part of the union. Unfortunately like most college it is hard to transition from adjunct to full-time.

The culture was great and if I had an opportunity to go full time I would have loved to teach full-time.

Working with students was exciting and enjoyable.
Pros
Having respect from collegues
Cons
No real opportunity to go full time.
Excellent academic environment and professional staff.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILOctober 9, 2017
I love working here for several reasons: ECC is my alma mater, I am inspired to work in my community, I have always appreciated the leadership at this college. I believe ECC hires exceptional teachers and provides comprehensive opportunities to students.
Poor Management
Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILAugust 15, 2017
I started as a temp and worked the job for 8 months. I had to apply and interview for the position. I was told that I was doing a great job and they strung me along for the entire time and then told me the day my temporary status expired that I did not get the job. I would not recommend this employer nor would I recommend attending the college.
Exciting environment with nurturing minds
TRIO COORDINATOR (TEMPORARY) (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILJune 27, 2017
Schedule and advise students on transition to college life and make their experiences easier than if they try and fail by themselves. Amazing atmosphere with some students that feel inclined to ask for assistance.
Pros
Year long schedule, students that want to come into the office
Cons
No health care, no PTO, no 401K
good for students
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILJune 22, 2017
I don't know about full time employees. I was a student worker, so I didn't receive any benefits and was paid very little. One of the perks was that the school worked around my class schedule.
Computer Lab Aide
Computer Lab Aide (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILMay 15, 2017
I loved this job the most because I could do my homework while working and I engaged with other students. I was their to help incoming students understand ECC's applications in the library and the phenomenal pro about this job was that I learned a lot from other students as well.
Pros
Students and Professors are nice and helpful. Had my own desk and computer.
Awesome place to work for!
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILDecember 30, 2016
I loved working at Elgin Community College because they gave me the opportunity to have a very flexible schedule and I was also attending school there.
Easy light work load
Custodian I (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILDecember 19, 2016
Upside is there is no heavy work no hard deadlines. You get all the time necessary to finish the job. No micromanaging.
Downside is the time. Start late in the evening leave early in the morning.
My experience has been extremely gratifying working with students and colleagues as well as agencies in the community to meet the needs of the student
Trio Student Support Advisor (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILDecember 13, 2016
Fortunately...there is no typical day. The main goal of my position is to work with the underserved, first generation, low income and documented handicap students to ensure success navigating their way through the educational process. I also develop programming through workshops and continual face to face meetings to assist with challenges.
I have learned that their is no typical college student, everyone has to be handled on an individual basis to tailor make an assessment plan to ensure their success.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when I see my students walk across the stage for graduation. It is the most gratifying feeling and I fun-fill my passion for helping others to achieve the life that they thought were only dreams.
Pros
Great place to work, tuition reimbursement, dedicated employees
Cons
Benefits for Part-time employees could improve
Competent setting
Peer Leader (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILNovember 16, 2016
Coworkers are welcoming and assist you if you are having trouble.
I've learned team work exercises
Management was reasonable
No project was hard do to assistance
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
Great place to be a part of.
Group Fitness Instructor / staff (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILOctober 26, 2016
Wonderful and diverse place to work.
Working with students in the fitness center has been a
very rewarding experience.
Pros
Fitness Center
Cons
i rate this place a very bad place to work at...
3rd shift custodian (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILOctober 20, 2016
I was wrongly fired from elgin community college on September 15 2014...They never was willing to work with me about putting me on weekends only in the housekeeping department..Being they fired me now they have weekend custodian jobs now...All I want is my part time custodian job back...Its a very bad college to work for look at what they did to me...They never once worked with me with my full time job i had..Once they got rid of me then they started weekend jobs only...
Pros
Its a great place to work at
Cons
Management and the union and H/R all suck there
Lots of very immature people, very selfish culture
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILSeptember 14, 2016
I was required to work overtime a lot which was very hard for my work life balance needs.

I learned a lot about unions and a lot of different academic environments and how they worked. I had more work at this job than I ever had. That isn't a bad thing, but just a reality. The college always seems really understaffed and that doesn't seem to improve.

I had only a few co-workers that were decent to me, so many of them were backstabbing and poor communicators. I felt like there was always a target on my back. I've never dreaded going to work more than this job.

I was frequently harassed for my race (white) and it seemed to be a non issue unless people were harassed that were more ethnic. I found this to be incredibly racist.
Pros
Great benefits all around
Cons
Bad atmosphere, nothing seems to get solved, better to just work alone
Elgin Community College is good place to work, and I enjoy working with my co-worker and supervisor.
Testing Assistant (Current Employee) –  1700 Spartan Dr. Elgin IL 60123July 20, 2016
Good environment to work, have great opportunity to improve computer skills and proctoring knowledge. I enjoy the team work experience with co-worker and supervisor.
I had a great career at ECC and enjoyed the teaching and conducting.
Professor of Choral Music (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILApril 2, 2016
During my time at ECC I helped the music department to grow with increasing the number of class offerings. I expanded the musical theatre program and initiated a vocal jazz ensemble. I served as the coordinator of the music department for a decade.
Pros
Working with young people and building a program.
Cons
Having the music students for only two years.