Elgin Community College Employee Reviews

Diverse work culture and great place to build your resume
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILFebruary 1, 2019
I love working at Elgin Community College. To start, it is a great place for a student like me with little background in professional administration to help build my resume. A typical day for me consists of helping prospective and active students through enrollment steps. While employed at ECC, I've learned that each student has their own unique circumstance while enrolling through college, so active listening and understanding is crucial in guiding students into a successful educational transition. I get along with all of my co-workers, including management. My supervisors are very intelligent-caring individuals who are easy to work with. Obviously, every job has it's good and bad days, but I remain a team player and dedicated to what I do. Although, I think the hardest part about working at a college is adapting to the bright minds that come with it. I am mostly surrounded by highly merited individuals. Sometimes, people of higher education can have a strong personality, but it's nothing that I can't handle. However, the most enjoyable part of the job is just that; I love learning and I love working with people who share that same mindset. Working at a college is like a 2-for-1 special; not only do I get the privilege to surround myself with like-minded students who share the same passions as me, but I get to do that with my co-workers as well!
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Student federal pay
Relaxed and Fun Working Environment
Fine Arts Department Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILJanuary 23, 2019
A typical day was running through setups for show nights, selling tickets, and running reports and credit statements. I learned a lot about front end marketing for shows as well as selling.
Learned leadership, public speaking, and interactional skills as a new student orientation leader
New Student Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILJanuary 13, 2019
Each day at work consisted of leading new student orientations to familiarize incoming college students with the school and its various programs of study. As a leader, we were expected to be good role models in guiding new students in their transition to college life. There were two managers and a coordinator of first year programs and they were very cooperative in helping us succeed and grow as leaders. Overall, most workers were friendly as it is required in order to work the job, so there was always a form of camaraderie within the team. The hardest part of the job was initially building up the courage to speak in front of about 50 people at a time, but I later found it to be the most enjoyable part later on, because engaging and interacting with people was a fun challenge and I can see directly how I affected them.
Pros
Sometimes we had free lunches, flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay
Nice people with structured work load
Grant Accountant (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILDecember 5, 2018
Great place to work with for a new starter in accounting field. Good benefit. Many new volunteering activities and opportunity to meet new people and interact with students.
Fun place to work
Federal Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILNovember 29, 2018
Elgin Community is a good place to work. As a student worker, I cannot tell about any benefit because it was an internship position without benefit. I believe the school offers good benefit for part-time and full time employees.
Elgin Community College
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILNovember 17, 2018
I enjoyed doing clinical twice a week. I also taught in classroom.
I enjoyed my part time position at Elgin Community College. I learned and practiced my advanced nursing degree and put it in practice. The most enjoyable experience I had.
Pros
It had a positive environment
Cons
401 K and schedule
Focused
Instructor for Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILNovember 12, 2018
As a per diem instructor, I was still given support and assistance from the HR department and other instructors. This was reassuring and appreciated.
Great Place to Work!
Office Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILOctober 15, 2018
I really enjoyed my career at Elgin Community College. My supervisor, Mary Lloyd, was amazing. She cared about my ideas, she was very understanding of work/home balance, and she always had very honest and open communication with me. If I did not have to relocate due to an emergency situation, I would still be there! It was truly a great job and I did not want to leave...
Was fun and challenging
Temporary Document Imaging Assistant (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILSeptember 13, 2018
Kept me on my toes and gave me something new to challenge me and my skills. I have never had to scan documents into the computer system or link them with employee files before. I have also had to take on auditing and it was a challenge to take on something new, with no real direction and find my way through it and create the steps and procedures to follow for future employees to follow.
Pros
supervisors, co workers, hours and flexible schedule
Cons
being a temporary position
Fun, non-traditional work environment
STUDENT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILAugust 22, 2018
I worked in the 3D art department. The staff was friendly, the atmosphere was very non-traditional compared to your average desk job, and the student population was wonderfully diverse. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to live and breathe artwork on a day-to-day basis. No two days were ever the same.
Pros
acess to art facilities
Cons
minimum wage
Student Accounts Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILAugust 8, 2018
The staff was always nice and funny. When it's time to get t to business, it gets handled. The staff definitely treats everyone equally and handles each person adequately to their needs.
Rewarding Casual Job
In Class Tutor (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILAugust 8, 2018
I was the in class tutor for 6 years at ECC for the PTA program. I enjoyed helping students problem solve and learn PT techniques during weekly labs. I worked closely with the program instructor, who had once been my teacher. This job helped keep my PT skills sharp, since I had to answer inquiries about all things PT from the students.
Pros
Great way to keep skills sharp
Cons
Not enough hours
I was a student - not an employee
Student (Former Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 5, 2018
A Review would not be applicable. - I was a student and not an employee. This was part of a GAP Year. I do believe I would have enjoyed working for Elgin Community College if it was applicable.
Adjunct Professor of Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILJune 13, 2018
Great place to work. Diverse kind people good place to work . I recommend it the people and students are kind. The staff and faculty are kind and make everyone feel welcomed.
Quality educators
Nursing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILMay 15, 2018
The faculty are the heart of Elgin Community College. The staff is very caring and concerned about student success. The students are wonderful - with a strong desire to learn,
Spartan Leader
Spartan Leader (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILApril 30, 2018
This job is a great experience for be, it allows me to do what I really love... talk and also be able to help incoming freshman so that the feel comfortable at ECC as a new student.
Friendly coworkers, consistent work hard to find.
Biology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILApril 26, 2018
This is a nice, small school with friendly staff and a beautiful campus. I love my colleagues. I find that the calibur of student varies a lot here, but that is probably because I teach a wide range of classes, not anything inherent about the school. Because it is a smaller school, sometimes teaching assignments get cancelled and set credit hours cannot be guaranteed every semester. I would prefer more benefits, consistent work, and a full-time position.
Adjunct Instructor
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILFebruary 17, 2018
Great place to work! This is a wonderful school to work for. The staff and students are all great. Wonderful experience and happy I made the decision to do so.
Outstanding School
Part-time adjunct faculty (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILFebruary 12, 2018
Elgin Community College is a growing and flourishing institution that has a great variety of academic and technical programs that appeal to a very broad base within the community
Poor pay
Office Coordinator I (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILFebruary 6, 2018
The college goes through an extensive interview process and requires a degree but does not compensate accordingly. They are under a union which causes people to be lazy and not go above and beyond.
Pros
Spring and Winter Breaks as well as 4 day work weeks in the Summer
Cons
No advancement and union